Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Yep.

Just a mistake that he was very lucky with.

Definitely not intentional.

Another goal chance. Pass it to the free man to your right. That has to be a bollicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Should never have got to that. McManus picked the ball off the ground just before taking the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Monaghan never led. While you couldn't say that Dublin kept them at arm's length, they did enough to keep a little distance between the teams at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

I felt the hype after Mayo was a bit OTT and today illustrated that. Dublin are very inconsistent, good performance, bad performance. I never really felt Dublin were going to lose today but they were poor for most of the game.

I expect Kerry to come through tomorrow and they will be favourites for the final, Dublin give teams chances and Kerry will exploit that better than arguably any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Talk of Dessies demise greatly exaggerated on here at times over the last few years (looking at you Gorm).

He's an all Ireland winning manager. Lost a semi in extra time. Lost a semi by 1 point to a last second kick. And now back in a final after a year in the slightly slower paced division 2 which allowed him to get lads playing the way he wants.

He said in his interview today that he's brought 22 lads through in his time and while the Golden generation will move on in the next few years, the Dublin production line is in a fine state and they'll always be competitive.

Dessie had an impossible job following Gavin but he's reaching heights the majority of counties can only dream of. They'll be hard beat in the final, regardless of who they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Kerry will be giddy watching this. Dublin will struggle to contain the Clifford's, O'Shea and Geaney. Derry are D2 team which Kerry will hammer tomorrow. A long time since Dublin went into final as underdogs.

Post edited by Gael85 on

I think k the weather plays a huge part in games. Definitely evens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do ya remember when Cluxton fumbled the ball? That time. Can't remember when it was. I will be watching for it on TSG to see what they say about it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That is what is worrying me. Dublin gave Mayo plenty of goal chances - they did not take them. Then the simple high ball into the Dublin back line was causing havoc for a good while in that game.

Monaghan had a few goal chances first half yesterday - not taken either. And I think the only reason Monaghan did not win that game yesterday because they don't have a bench. Just the one player to come on either McManus/McCarron who ever does not start. If Monaghan had two more top subs that would worry an opponent they would be serial AI contenders. I honestly think the margin is that fine for them.

But if high ball goes into David Clifford (should Dublin play Kerry) he will gobble it up, either an advanced mark or spin on the turn. If Dublin give up goal chances like they did to Mayo/Monaghan - Kerry would be far more clinical plenty of finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Weather will be grand. Would expect kerry to win this well. Derry are a limited side. Their style of football won't win the big games in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They really need to get rid of the mark.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

The forward mark is the stupidest rule in any sport.

You basically get a point for catching the ball

I'm not looking forward to the final at all now. The standard of refereeing would give you a headache. There's no way we can compete looking at what amounts to a free for Kerry forwards. Kerry should have had had least one more black card today and Barry (forearming someone in the head) and O'Shea (thumping someone with a box in head just there). They are an awful dirty bunch but never seem to end up on the wrong side of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Stage is set, 2 titans batteling it out for SAM. Kerry will probally go is as hot favorites, all plays into Dublins hands. We need serious performances, grit, determination, heart, desire and bottle all of which this team is well capable of doing on their day.

If we're up for it and go hard after Kerrys kickout I think SAM will be back to the capital again.

Hon the Dubs, hopefully it will be a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Based on today's display I think Dublin can beat Kerry but in Clifford they have a player who can make up for the deficiencies of the team. Hard to see who Dublin will put on him but feck it's going to be a nervous watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I don't think theyll be hot favs at all. Be very narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Kerry 8/11

Dublin Evens

Have to say taking my Dublin loyalty aside and basing it on recent form and the two semi finals especially i fancy Kerry to have a bit too much myself. That's not me playing the cute whore like our Kerry foes are well known for. I just think they have a bit more in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I don't know , Dublin have extra players and con not injured and only lost with the last kick of the game last year. I fancy us by 3pts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Kerry always hard to beat and they really want to beat us in a final so while they were not as good today as I expected I think next day when the blue jersey is in front of them they will be better than today .This is not the Dublin team of a couple of years ago so we will still need a huge push from us to win which is well possible .

• Advertisement

Also, not as a defensive team as derry.

I for one can't wait. Praying for a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Going to be a special day for sure. The build up will be something else. I think we've played them in 15 All Ireland finals and they lead 8-7. Could be slightly out on that. It's pretty even anyway and since they last beat us in a final we downed their colours in 2011, 2015 and 2019. Three of our greatest days. One thing is we don't fear then like i suspect we used to. Beating them in those three finals knocked out any insecurity we may have had against them. We go in as equals.

Of course we can beat them and do what every single Dub wants so badly to happen; to send our Ballymun warrior up the Hogan Stand steps to collect the Cup. What a dream ending to James McCarthy's Dublin career that could possibly be. There wouldn't be a dry eye on the Hill.

Two very evenly matched teams and will probably be a soft free between the teams at the end 😂. All joking aside I can't wait for it. We'll need to get right in their faces from early on and play them at their own game of the dark arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Seadin

1985 is the last time Kerry beat Dublin in an All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Best of luck in the final guys.

We'll need to get right in yer faces from early on and play ye at yer own game of the dark arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

You are correct there have been 15 previous meetings in the All Ireland Final with us down 7-8 overall although we have won the last 3 meetings. I know all time championship meetings we are a bit behind at 11-18 with 3 draws. I have never seen an overall head to head including league results as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

There's an utterly enthralling episode of Laochra Gael on TG4 this minute dedicated to Kieran Duff. It is so poignantly made and edited, where they show newspaper clips and quotes demonising him for the 1983 final against Galway, and then intersperse it with interviews with him at the time and today. It's impossible not to feel sorry for him. It's like Kieran Duff was the Nicky Kelly of 1980s sport!

(They're now on the 1991 Meath match and Kevin Foley seems like a complete bastard for a comparative midget - but my God that Kevin Foley goal!!!!)

It's worrying when I think my first match to watch in Croke Park was in that same year, 1983, in the Cork-Dublin semi-final (a replay?) and I was lifted over the turnstile! 40 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It was only in recent fairly recent years that I saw Dublin beat Kerry in league or championship. It shocked me when I realised it. Kerry have been really dominant in overall history. Plus it is even worse when you realise that Dublin wins prior to the 50's had fellas from all over Ireland playing for Dublin.

Kerry expect to be the top dogs, hopefully they get complacent.

• Advertisement

If it rains like in 2015 Jack O'Connor won't be happy. I seem to remember he commented (as then Minor manager) that the rain suited Dublin in the senior game.

Advertisement