Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

4th downpour of day here in west Dublin, fierce when they come along

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

At least seeing some nice warm sunshine today between isolated showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

3 showers of rain since 3pm, after a nice first half of the day this second half is almost as bad as yesterday, shower trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Out and about a lot today. Hard to dodge the showers alright but I think we will have a nice evening in Galway. There is decent heat in that sun when it pops out.

I feel we are getting rain payback for the near drought conditions we enjoyed in June. The river levels are on the up again. I imagine reservoirs will be filling up too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Fair play you took a picture when it stopped lashing nice one

• Advertisement

Where are you @Ozvaldo ? First rain here in Bishopstown at about 5.30pm and then a complete downpour for about the last 45 minutes. Big, proper tropical raindrops.

Zero rain and bone dry here until that point. So it was lashing rain all day where you are in the suburbs of Cork City? That seems odd. Or did you wait until it started raining to post that?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thankfully It managed not to rain for the first half of today to allow people to leave their homes but then the monsoon arrived and we are back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Showers to the east and west of me, but we have escaped all day. This isn't the first time this summer we have missed the shower trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Contender for worst weekend of the year here. Sunday started off decently but other than that, it has been atrocious. Far cry from the June Bank Holiday weekend which was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I feel like I've had to run for cover from rain or have gotten soaked more in the last few weeks than ever living in Dublin. Soaking now and cold waiting for a break to get home after a run! F this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I just want to be able to cut my grass. It never stops raining long enough for it to be dry enough to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've had enough, 7 year old broke down this afternoon in park, saying all wanted to do was play in playground. It absolutely lashed rain here in NCD from about 3pm onwards and hadn't really stopped and we had to go home.

Enough is enough it's fecking ridiculous, barely stopped raining since Thursday evening and even then we got caught in showers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's been raining almost non stop here since 3pm, just very short interludes between the downpours. This has to be the worst Friday to Sunday period we have had all year and one of the worst I've ever experienced for the height of summer.

Just looking at the radar and there is another deluge on it's way to me in what is starting to turn out to be the 3rd very wet day in a row.

Gonzo please tell me tomorrow will be dry, I'll be out that door at 8am if it is.

Met Eireann got today wrong, meant to be mainly dry( apart from few showers) but they didn't predict non stop rain from 3pm so don't trust them for tomorrow.

Tuesday looks like another washout so at least can plan for indoor meet up with his friends to keep him happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

A very pleasant day in West Mayo today, I wasn't expecting it this nice - only one very very light shower and quite sunny and feeling warmish a few hours ago, t shirt weather even with the breeze by the coast. Reading the reports from around the country I think we dodged some bullets today.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Looks like a heavy shower north of Wicklow Town.

Indeed, I recall few summer weekends as horrendous as this. The worst one I can remember (from my own years of observing) was the Bank Holiday weekend of June 2012. 11 degrees Celsius and persistent 30mm of rain all day on the Sunday.

I missed that weekend was in Spain at the time. I also remember being in Spain when the N3 outside Blanchardstown got completely flooded on both carriageways it was either summer 2007 or 2008.

That was probably the deluge of 9th August 2008 I’m guessing. Lots of vids of that flooding on YouTube in the Blanch area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A couple of sharp showers in the first half of the day but then a nice evening. Not the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Well it is atrocious over the midlands here and the east. Absolutely pouring down the past two hours. It's very hard to believe this weather is going to continue and continue. Soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Out for a walk earlier here in Donegal. It was very blustery, sun popped out briefly but was a few small showers of rain.

Thing I noticed was that everyone else who was out were wearing jackets and clothed more as if it was Autumn. I was out in a t shirt and shorts and must have been the only person, and yea it was cold, I should have at least brought a jacket.

Not too bad an evening now, seems.most showers have cleared eastwards.

Tomorrow should be dryer than today but there is no guarantees that it will stay dry, afternoon could turn quite showery again.

Thanks Gonzo, oh I know no guarantees, I'll head put early so hopefully we can get few hours in at playground.

I think that was the time we were coming home from holidays and as the plane was coming into land I said to my husband ' Wtf' all the fields and roads around the airport was flooded. We couldn't get out of airport, no taxis were picking people up, in the end family member came to the rescue after a few hours.

It was some welcome back to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I know it's a case of be careful what you wish for, but I wouldn't mind some of that European heat wave now. As others have alluded to, the weather since our own heat wave in late May/early June has been horrendous. You know it's been a bad summer when people are clutching at straws and content to have 17/18 deg cloudy overcast weather, so long as there's no rain.

Probably an impossible question to answer with any great certainty, but does anyone have any indication of the long term (late July/early to mid August) forecast? Could do with a dose of optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What time will the heavy rain arrive at tomorrow? Not talking about the showers but the wet evening/night? North wexford area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is it ever going to stop raining?

Rain every day for the last month

97mm in June 170 so far this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Awful weekend. Please make the rain train go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Please for the love of God, it won't be too bad for the All Ireland Hurling Final

Advertisement