Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Politicians and other public figures need extra protection from weirdos.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Holly Cairns is a fantastic politician. She's smart and a very effective communicator. Unfortunately, she has committed the cardinal sin of being a woman so she will forever be a magnet for abuse from a certain mouth breathing demographic in this country.

I wouldn’t go as far as agreeing Ms. Cairns is a fantastic politician, she’s not even been tested yet, unlike Helen McEntee whom we referred to earlier who’s been knocking it out of the park!

But I’d agree, being a woman in Irish politics does attract a different type of harassment and intimidation which isn’t the same as the kind of harassment, intimidation and intrusion into their personal lives which Leo for example has gotten in his time in office - the man can’t even go for a jog in peace.

But I would question the wisdom of whether extra security is necessary, or whether politicians should be arguing more in favour of equipping AGS with the resources to deal effectively with these fcuknuggets, and once the AGS are done with them, that the Courts and the judiciary have the resources to deal with them, rather than funding the installation of security measures on an individual basis which politicians would have to apply for only after they have already been the victim of harassment campaigns, such as the example given by Ms. Cairns where a man appeared multiple times at her front door -

Female politicians such as Social Democrats TD Holly Cairns and Sinn Féin TD Louise O’Reilly have both spoken out recently about having to install extra security in their homes. Ms O’Reilly said she placed extra locks in her home, as did Ms Cairns, who also installed CCTV and blinds. This came after threats to their homes and in Ms Cairns’s case, a man appearing multiple times at her front door. A number of other female TDs recently spoke to The Irish Times about being concerned for their safety in their constituency offices and at home.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2023/01/25/politicians-could-get-up-to-5000-towards-security-costs/

One of the arguments against arming rank and file Gardaí with firearms is that it will encourage those who commit criminal offences to escalate. I would suggest that the same is true of increasing security around political and public figures - it attracts an even more dangerous and determined type of fcuknugget who is willing to take the risk of not being caught.

I don’t know how Cosgrave hasn’t been prosecuted either tbh, but one reason I can think of is that it would risk turning him into the martyr he appears to be so desperate to be regarded as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

You think the weirdo think been a woman is bad

wait till you see the reaction to a gay man with ancestry from India

Yes education is needed on social media but also social media needs to cop on a bit. It’s not hard to find the online scumbags yet they are the ones leading the gang

Ricky Gervais is excellent talking about people on social media

Like how can Paddy Cosgrove still be allowed have a platform on Twitter to lead the knob army? By the way not a woman in sight of his followers….he has provided people work/home locations and who they are, just random people because they didn’t support Sinn Fein…..Gemma got banned from twitter for less

And Ricky Gervais is nothing more than the more acceptable class of scumbag leading the online gang.

It comes down to one very simple question - should people have to turn their homes into prisons for themselves because scumbags who flout existing laws threaten their safety?

The answer to that is to target the scumbags, not to pretend that increasing security for some people will act as any sort of a deterrent to scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Whats McEntee been knocking out of the park?

She is one of the most useless Justice Ministers we have ever had, she thinks no deportations is a good thing and gave an amnesty to lawbreakers.

Was on Primetime last week talking about a bill she is bringing in and got tied up in knots by Sarah McInerney who wasn't even trying too hard to bamboozle her.

I didn’t see the programme you’re referring to but I’ll take your word for it, it’s not because of her ability to kiss babies that I evaluate her character and capacity as a politician. Personally I think the Family Courts bill is long overdue, and the overhauling of the legislation in relation to incitement to hatred, and the management of Covid restrictions, and of course the management of immigration issues.

The comparison was to Holly Cairns though, but I’d extend it to include comparisons to her predecessors such as Charlie McCreevy and Michael McDowell, neither of whom actually achieved anything positive in their tenure. Is she as good as Máire Geoghan-Quinn, Frances Fitzgerald and Nora Owen? Not yet, but she’s on the right track.

I also think Norma Foley deserves an honorary mention, I quite admire how she’s performed in office as the Minister for Education. She’s good, but fantastic would be stretching it, there’s always room for improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Politicians and public figures should not be abused or intimidated. But having said that - if you are an average person without power or political connections, try complaining about serious issues with public services etc. using the "proper channels" and see how you get on. You will run up against walls of apathy, ass covering, deflection and silence. What do you do then?

I am well educated and well off and as a former public servant, probably know better than many how to deal with bureaucracy. Yet, I often get nowhere.

Now, take someone who is struggling and doesn't have that experience - what will they do when they're reaching rock bottom and spot Leo Varadkar jogging down the street?

The abuse hurled at politicians is not because people are weirdos, it's a symptom of fundamental problems in this country.

As David McWilliams says, Outsiders and Insiders.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/07/15/our-system-serves-insiders-and-locks-out-the-outsiders/

Should we have given Insider Pat Kenny more public money to increase his security to protect him from Outsiders such as Alan O'Brien?

Now, take someone who is struggling and doesn't have that experience - what will they do when they're reaching rock bottom and spot Leo Varadkar jogging down the street?

They’ll carry on minding their own business. Self-centred scumbags on the other hand, will have a multitude of excuses to justify their behaviour. The abuse hurled at politicians is precisely because those people are weirdos. Everyone gets frustrated, it doesn’t give anyone the right to ignore the laws which apply to everyone equally.

To answer your question though - no, Pat Kenny shouldn’t get more money to increase his security, Alan O’Brien should have found a more productive way of dealing with his issues, same goes for David McWilliams, instead of stealing a living from stirring up shìt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your talking horses**t, Gervais is one of the few people who can be relied on to use common sense when posting on SM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thats an attempt at explaining why they do it, not an argument for or against more security, social media has made it too easy to find information about politicians and their families and therefore gossip and slander them online which in turn might rile up a lone wolf actor into doing something harmful to a public representative, look at current affairs today, for example, on another thread, there is a poster reporting gossip about MAMA as a fact that's what public representatives are up again. I am not sure what the answer is and anyway, several public representatives are against more security for themselves it's not the road they want to go down.

And while not all those making threats are weirdos if you look at any prosecutions of those making online threats, it's inevitable a lone individuals with issues.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t even bother asking for examples when the counter-argument begins with “You’re taking horsehìt”, it’s about the level I expect from those who appreciate Gervais’ unoriginal output.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

A minority could be just one and a life ended.

I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes there are a small few people constantly posting quite extreme violent rhetoric on facebook, twitter and Telegram -

They don't have to be violent themselves. Their rhetoric will eventually inspire someone through stochastic terrorism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't have social media accounts like that. I don't see it.

An individual has to be honest to themselves.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know what the term means. Can you say you're not influenced and try to influence people?

Surprised you mentioned the far right...not.

I make my own mind up.

Noone is beyond influence so not really sure what your point is.

Terry Pratchet

Well the first part of your post was utter horsesh**. Calling one of the best comedians alive today a scumbag is quite silly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nonethless, she's gonna be the first female Taoiseach.

I don’t care whether you think he’s one of the best comedians alive today. I was responding to this claim -

Gervais is nothing more than an an acceptable class of scumbag leading the online gang. I’ve seen enough of his unoriginal output to be able to come to that conclusion. It’s tedious, but I do understand if one fancies themselves as an intellectual edgelord, Gervais validates their opinions of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Targeting someone's house is always wrong, their private lives should be private, it is like the worst of groups like the Red Army Faction types across Europe in the 70s.

That didn't end well then either. This will escalate till someone gets solidarity through the back of the head or burnt in the house.

TDs and all shades of politicians should be supported in this with whatever they need.

Do you call everyone you don't like a scumbag? I don't actually care what post you were responding to, calling someone a scumbag for no reason is a horrible thing to do.

No, there’s plenty of people I don’t like, I don’t call them scumbags. I’m indifferent to Ricky Gervais though, he’s a scumbag either way, an acceptable scumbag leading the online gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I’m indifferent to Ricky Gervais though, he’s a scumbag either way

Even for yourself, this is ridiculous double speak.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It’s not? I was asked do I call everyone I don’t like a scumbag, as though I call Gervais a scumbag because I don’t like him. I don’t care for him either way - I don’t like him, I don’t dislike him. It’s his behaviour and his attitude towards others marks him out as a scumbag,

It’s the fact that people hold him in high regard makes him an acceptable as far as they’re concerned. I don’t don’t think his behaviour is acceptable, I think he encourages others to think their behaviour and their attitudes are acceptable. Thankfully, his reach is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

No.

The politicians can re-open the Garda stations they closed and adequately staff the cops so that if they need to call the emergency services they get a prompt response. I see no protection for the common man in the streets, that policing has abandoned to criminal elements, and I would not favour special treatment for politicians until they are prepared to proffer the same level of protection to the punters who's safety seems of little concern to them.

In my fathers day the 'one church and three pubs' little town he grew up in had a Garda station where two guards lived and they would patrol the area on bycicles. They had propper community policing and everybody knew their local guard. Today you can call the station three towns over, but even that is only manned part time, but sure you can leave a message, they may pop by tomorrow.

Through 25yrs of the 'troubles' when active terrorist organizations were fighting a dirty civil war politicians hand none of this protection, but as soon as Helen's feelings get hurt on the intwebs we need to shut down free speech and give her a goon squad. Feck that.

Any chance that you can stop posting horses**t as its posts like this that are bringing boards down? Your calling someone a scumbag and providing zero evidence. If your going to make disgusting remarks you need to back them up otherwise your posts are just trolling

It’s a matter of opinion. You can ignore the context in which that opinion was given, and that’s entirely on you. It’s nothing to do with me. I completely understand that when Gervais makes disgusting remarks, hey that’s just comedy, genius, not at all trolling and certainly doesn’t qualify in this thread as feeding the online weirdos and getting them all fired up over nothing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the Gervais talk. It has no relevance here

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement