Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

I think the Sports Extra deal with Premier & BT/TNT runs until July 2025 so they would be selling it next season, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s my understanding, yes, it’s tied to the period of the FAPL rights, at least for BT/TNT anyway. So that would have two seasons left. I’m not saying there won’t be a Sports Extra pack of some form after that, either - I just think WBD will want to move to a more traditional carriage deal rather than the current arrangement effectively granting Sky all control of its wholesale rights in Ireland, and that will be to facilitate TNT being on the Discovery+ platform here.

Even if they suddenly stopped on 1st August this year I’m sure you wouldn’t be billed after that for it, so there’d be no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

To give some credit for a change, Premier's red button channels seemed to be working fine from the start today.

They did better than the BBC so, whose iPlayer coverage fell over.

• Advertisement

Now confirmed that Premier Sports have indeed picked up ROI rights to all RWC warm up games except Ireland’s which will be on RTE.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/07/06/five-weekends-of-summer-nations-series-action-for-fans-to-savour/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

how much would Premier have paid for irish rights?

Who can say? The amount isn’t public knowledge.

That said, I can’t think there was a bidding war for these games. On more than one occasion they failed to even sell the Irish rights to RWC warm up games in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I doubt that the Discovery plus App in Ireland anyway will have TNT sport on it at the beginning. How long more is the sports extra pack arrangement with SKY for?

No I don’t think so (will be presently surprised if they do though). While it was never publicly announced how long this particular iteration of the Sports Extra arrangement lasts for, we know previous arrangements were tied to the FAPL rights (thanks Eir for putting that in an annual report a few years back), so that would make it July 2025. That’s assuming WBD haven’t already negotiated their way out of it.

• Advertisement

Looks like ESPN content disappears from the relaunch of TNT Sports next Tuesday alright. MLB is not part of that deal and is unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

I see there's a premier sports 3 which has some of the autumn rugby - I wonder will this be added to sports extra? Hopefully!

Premier Sports 3? That’s a new one on me I’m afraid, a welcome development if true though. Are you sure that’s Premier Ireland not Premier Asia?

Elsewhere some reports about that TNT 1&2 will swap places with Eurosport 1&2 on Tuesday, on the Sky platform. Not yet confirmed by the usual reliable source though.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

The tnt Eurosport swap has been confirmed on the sky help forum.

Although not really relevant but still related to Premier and especially the rights they share, viaplay seem to be in all sorts of disarray as they seem to have followed the recent model of completely overstretching. Multiple reports doing the rounds but an announcement due next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Viaplay are to make an announcement onThursday July 20th.

Viaplay are refusing to comment on the rumours of the uk operation closing or multiple rights being returned.

A focus on Nordic operations is the future strategy according to rumours.

They’re hardly going to pack up after just nine months are they?

Mind you if they do Setanta will be laughing all the way to the bank to have gotten away with cold hard cash from an operation that closed less than a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I would expect the US operation are the more likely to close, UK subs are heavily discounted at the moment , €69pa iirc

Oops... I see it bounced to a middle east site, had no idea that was a thing. Anyhow there's no third channel for Ireland so carry on! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I think the OP has now said they confused it with Premier Asia, which does have a Premier 3.

• Advertisement

TNT Sports launch press release:

Confirmation that it won’t be available on discovery+ in Ireland (for now anyway).

Also that Laura Woods (the English presenter not the Irish one) has been hired to host their football and boxing coverage, probably the worst kept secret in sports broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

In the Republic of Ireland***, TNT Sports is available via Sky, Now, Virgin Media and Vodafone. Pricing is available from these operators. The TV channels (TNT Sports 1, TNT Sports 2, TNT Sports 3, TNT Sports 4) are available in high and standard definition, plus (via Sky only) six red-button channels, TNT Sports Ultimate and TNT Sports Box Office.

***TNT Sports is not available on discovery+ in the Republic of Ireland.

—-

As someone who watches a fair bit of cycling on the Discovery + app, I’m hoping the Eurosport feeds continue there.

This is only stage 1 really, rebrand of BT Sport. Incorporation of Eurosport is down the line but not for another year at least. This is apparently to allow for renegotiation of Eurosport’s basic cable carriage deals (Id also not be surprised if the Olympics rights has something to do with it).

Yes, my mistake - even though i searched google for premier sports ireland, clicking the first link brought me to the asia website🙄

On the subject of websites, the TNT sport website is really cheap/crappy looking IMO - how can these multimillion $/£ enterprises be so poor at web design?? I did like the BT sport brand and imaging, this will take a bit of getting used to.

Hopefully the Now TV offers keep flooding in, I'll sign up again for the rugby in September, never paid more than €10 a month for sports extra, which feels about right for the amount it gets watched (not often). Full price of €39 a month with VM for these - no chance!

It’s basically a tweaked version of the Eurosport website.

Only tangently sports extra related but possibly of interest to some - if you are an American football fan and you were hoping to fill the gap from TNT’s dropping of ESPN with the ESPN Player, well some bad news announced today - that’s closing too. As it stands the only college football being broadcast here next season will be Notre Dame home games on Sky (and possibly NBC’s new late Big 10 slot).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

For those interested -

Sports Extra on its own without Sky Sports now at €17pm via Sky or €30 with Sky Sports.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

I see VM are also doing the €30 combo offer in SD, €35 in HD, for 12 months - pretty good offer considering the full prices, but I'll continue to go with Now TV offers and hope they keep rolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Not too bad from VM but with the addition of that boost to get the proper HD on Now TV I’ll be jumping on the satellite band-wagon next season for the 30 per month and I’ve 4K already so that’s a different ballgame of quality imho.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

With Viaplay pulling out of the UK, it’ll be interesting to see how Premier and now TNT are effected. Plenty of football up for grabs

Advertisement