Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

100%.

"I'll stay here until you to believe me"

Once RT said that I was aghast. Guilty as sin.

I'm going to stay here until you vote correctly. Until we get it right (my way) we're all staying here.

Okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He admitted at least once that he wasn't very smart. Right so, time to jog on.

Some poll mentioned earlier today on RTE radio that a poll puts 40%+ in favour of having him back. Hardly a ringing endorsement as is being messaged by some commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I find RT quite passable on radio. Iv'e no great desire to see the end of him, but JD and him should only be on handy money. My main focus would be on a full restructuring of RTE and keeping the boot to the floor on that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What? Reading the papers and a few bits from the gossip columns. Followed by mentions of the places he's been and stuff he's received and what he would like to do 'sometime' and stuff he'd like. Then maybe a fluffy interview and a track of music.

Filler radio is what Ryan does, like an extended continuity announcer. If he HAS to come back, give him €50K for the year and make him do 48 weeks. Good enough for approx 15 hours a week between airtime and any prep he needs for the naff stuff he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Really shocking that someone could do this and the travesty that was the Late Late Show and get around 500k pa. Just nonsensical.

And yes, Bard is Google's Chatgpt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Do you have a link or a copy of the part where he said he would give it back if someone asks?

My understanding was he would give it back if there was no requirement for the rest of engagements ?

As I stated based on the scenarios I don't belive there's any reason he should give the money back.

e.g. either he's contracted for the work and it's completed. Nothing oued.

Or it's outside of the base contract. Nothing oued .

Any chance you can provide a link or quote where he stated the money would only be given back if someone asked for it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

How is the state going to sell the idea of the new broadcasting charge with the "talent" like RT still on the books. I can see people accepting (reluctantly) that it is split to other broadcasters also but as long as RTE is a mess and the talent are fleecing them, it could end up as a election issue yet trying to get the new tax over the line. Also, have we all to plug a large pension hole in RTE ? Are most employees on old DB pensions. What's the age profile in there ?

@ButtersSuki is there mention internally of a pension hole ?

The execs are having a laugh with the cash from the exchequer, with large payoffs as you walk out the door. That's the bigger story that is getting lost in the melee against tubs. He just opened the door to the rest of the mess.

Considering funny business at horse racing Ireland with a questionable payoff, RTE may point to precedent elsewhere. That is a bitter pill to swallow.

I don't watch much TV listen to the radio a bit. What is the 'talent'. Do I tune into Prime Time because Miriam O'Callaghan is presenting? RTE News has many excellent reporters. Many have to do pieces live with minimal notes and be sure to avoid anything that might get them into legal trouble.

Sport is also done well. Presenters have to work mainly on the fly. These are the 'talents'.

Think this is been discussed in depth and apparently RTE will stop using the phrase "talent" but previously I belive it was referring to the top 10 presenters/broadcasters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi, just to be clear, I don’t work in RTÉ.

It does seem to be a giant mess from an employee/HR/work practices perspective though; and that’s aside from the more headline grabbing stuff.

You can call them anything you like, but their piggybacking with high wages on top of the real talent.

Ah apologies. Reading the fast moving thread, I thought you were an employee.

I don't think anyone argues that fact

But it's probably no different than most companies

The "real" workers

and the gobshites at the top forwarding emails

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

My particular questions regarding Ryan Tubridy are as follows:

Does the Ryan Tubridy slot generate above satisfactory levels of advertising revenue for RTE Radio 1?

The system that monitors radio listenership figures (JNLR surveys). Are they accurate? Are they providing the correct listenership information to RTE regarding Ryan Tubridy's slot on RTE Radio 1?

Depending on the answers given for the above, does Ryan Tubridy justify his presence on RTE Radio 1?

I am no fan of Ryan Tubridy and I don't listen to his radio show and I couldn't bare watch the LLS. That's just me!

I am not referring to his salary and I am not referring to the LLS with respect to the questions that I am asking. I am purely focusing on his presence as an RTE Radio presenter. To be honest and I know this crosses over into the territory of the LLS, but has Tubridy covered his exorbitant salary with generated advertising revenue for RTE?

By asking these questions, I am not attempting to state or justify anything. I am just trying to understand why RTE would continue with Ryan Tubridy and if he has finished with the LLS, is it justifiable for RTE to have him on radio EVEN at a reduced salary, given that his radio slot to my knowledge is less than an hour.

Apologies if my comment is a bit long and if folks are presently posting about a different subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

The PAC replay is available on web if you want to watch, it was also discussed in the Thursday meeting so not sure how you missed

The main sponsor of his radio show was Center Parks who have pulled out

RTe and probably Noel Kelly came up with that talent bullsh*t

It seems like an attempt to differentiate them from the rest of rte, then they put Lottie into the talent bracket and it crumbles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

KB is going to have to decide whether he wants to see what RTE is and do something transformational to it, or leave it as it is, living in an alternative universe

Red, or blue, Kevin?

The RTE money he offered to give back if someone asks, that’s the tax payers money he got for doing nothing

• Advertisement

Don't think I missed it.

I don't think he should pay anything back.

Can you provide a quote where he stated he would only pay it back if he was asked?

The clip was played on RTE news. I definitely remember seeing it. He did say he would pay it back if asked. What nobody asked is pay back exactly what amount.

If you weighed and measured RT financially as a brand impacting RTE I'd say its akin to a streak of piss in a slim Jim glass; one would be found WANTING. Thus NK.

RT has no gravitational pull on a grain of sand.

NOEL KELLY is the sun, moon and stars that controls the tides of SHOWbusiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every chance we get to radically change how this corrupt country works it is blown and it’s intentional

just look at the 2008 crash everything could have changed in this country but it didn’t apart from the ones who paid for their corruption eg us

It’s becoming very clear this stooge isn’t a new broom he is the old guard

Blue.

All day.

No breaks.

Even if he personally doesn't beLIEve it.

I was paid to do it as a suit.

Thats grand

As I stated. I don't think he should pay anything back.

Do we have a clip where he stated that he would only pay it back if he was asked. Or the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No, just someone who does business with RTE (directly and via media buying agencies) for decades and have seen up close the wanton waste an effective monopoly enjoyed.

Democracy is an illusion like justice.

One believse when one votes that its making a change.

Then the politican's mandate and political actions do 180 degree turn.

What they said they would do never happens. Imagine that.

Every time. Then it happens again.

Political inertia.

Lie too the populace and then continue as planned.

They'll vote again and they do.

The sheep are terrified of the wolves when its the shepherd who is going to eat them indeed.

Here's what was said

27 seconds in.

If that work is not called upon to be done. Money goes back.

I didn't hear anything here about been asked. It clearly states if the work is not called upon money will be returned.

Zoo any chance you can provide your side where he states it only go back of he's asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He said he would pay back the money if the final 2 years appearances at renault premises were not now required.

He only did 3 appearances which was as scheduled for a single year. 25k per night.

So yes, a real case of the money is only resting in my account.

What I'm wondering at this point is why Kelly strongly rejected questions on how much he got out of the deal. He could have said the standard agents percentage or something vague but he got a little shifty when that question was asked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement