Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

Anyone else hearing Sexton would not have been ready anyway ahead of the first RWC game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

No Carter took a sabbatical at the end of the November international in 2013. Took 6 months off and was back for the rugby championship in 2014.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know by what definition a season in the top 14 is a sabbatical but that is the term they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

And that's what took so long to hash out. That written release from EPCR, and the time to sort this all out, screams a back room agreement somewhere. Feels like EPCR had a pretty poorly defined case (given the wording of what Johnny did), but were determined to drag this out to make a point - and eventually a deal was struck to allow everyone to save face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Possibly but it was fairly obvious that he was having a go at the officials despite some trying to claim nothing to see here when it was first raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So sexton only misses the warmup matches. Great for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Are we talking about that on this thread or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Reading the full report there was a list of 23 previous misconduct case judgements (including a tennis case) considered by the committee in arriving at its sentencing decision.

I don't know about anyone else but reading 30+ pages of judgement for 23 cases can take a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They missed tests because the Union could either let them miss tests or not have them for the world cup. They were absolutely not given time off with a view to the RWC.

In some cases the players wanted time off to unwind, in others they wanted time off to go play for other teams and make money. In none of these scenarios was it Union led. Had the players been available the All Blacks would have picked them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's not a sabbatical though, its a money making adventure (which, I should clarify, is fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Oh yeah look I'm not commenting on what did or did not happen. Moreso commenting on EPCRs mess of proving explicitly what happened to a level that could be punished under a broad "misconduct" heading.

No way you spend all that time and money on both sides, and miraculously come up with "3" as the magic number that's really deserving for the action taken, just so happens to match the number of warm-ups, and has such wishy washy phrasing in the official statement. Not a great look for it all just to end up being backroom dealing, and the disciplinary process itself basically a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

3 different incidents, one while he had a young child with him.

Tbh, he is probably lucky it was only a 3 match ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To quote another part of the report, the factual findings section:

Incident 2 (the one with the young child - his son):

Incident 3:

Also note that the third incident was decided to not be misconduct. I'm surprised the second one (which was disputed and not accepted as misconduct by Sexton/Leinster) was too, but that's not up to me.

[edit - I have edited my post to be less confrontational]

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dublin49

glad for Sexton,almost an Alan Quinlan like scenario in sabotaging his career finale but thank God he got an acceptable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Quote from the judgment:

"96. The evidence from Ireland’s Head Coach, which was not disputed by EPCR, is that JS “will be involved in the 3 warm up games that we have coming up”. Since JS has been “out of the game through injury since the 18th March 2023 we feel that this would be the minimum number of games that he will need to be match fit for the start of the Rugby World Cup”. 

97. He is fit to play. That was the evidence from Dr Ciaran Cosgrove, Ireland’steam doctor, again not disputed by EPCR. 

98. Therefore, we are satisfied that JS would, but for his suspension, be fit to play in and be selected for those matches."

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Are they seriously the Irish world cup kits!? They're atrocious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Not a bad outcome at all. Let’s all pray that in the precious time left for that player it’s the last of its kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So basically incident number two is,

Sexton said something near the officials, which they didn't hear, and no one else heard, they don't know what he said, but they are going to go ahead and assume it was about the officials and that it was bad.

That seems like very flimsy evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Flimsy or not you don’t need much evidence when he admits being confrontational and aggressive towards and disrespectful of the match officials in front of his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's really not a good look for our captain. Abuse of referees should not be tolerated. And it wasn't in the heat of the match or anything like that so he has no excuse. Probably should have been a longer ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He didn't admit that. He admitted the first incident which wasn't in front of his son.

I was more surprised that they have basically charged him with two incidents where they admit that they don't know what he did or said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kudos to the committee for working in the "won't someone please think of the children" angle. (seriously though, it's obvious they mention it just to be able to distinguish each event, they're not actually judging his parenting)

Read through the decision, it's pretty reasonable, but think there would have plenty of grounds to challenge had the sanction been more severe. If Sexton had simply denied the charge, all the evidence would have been pretty circumstantial.

A good outcome for all sides IMO. Sexton gets a richly deserved ban, but not so severe that Ireland need to freak out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It would he thrown over in an appeal but in an appeal they could increase the sentence for incident 1 so why bother.

Just take the ban and the 3 weeks and move on.

If Sexton hadn't confessed to incident 1 there probably wouldn't have been enough evidence to convict but Sexton admitted it and apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think a change in captaincy would probably be wise to be honest. Sexton would still be a hugely important leader within the group. But I think having someone else interacting with the referee would be a smart move. Referees are human and I don't think they will be 100% impartial with Sexton after this whole fiasco. If say we get Peyper for the quarter final, that could be a big problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see a lot of South African pundits are pretty unhappy about the Sexton ban. A good day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yes, it was player-led rather than Union-led, but the union agreed to it in their contracts.

The point being, they’re probably the 2 best players of their generation and they’ve both spoken about how beneficial missing Tests for a non-injury related reason in a RWC-cycle was beneficial for them. It’s not a totally alien concept.

Advertisement