Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alejandro Mizsan have we learned nothing?

Options
  • 16-07-2023 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Alejandro was the poor innocent little child savaged by a devil dog.

He suffered life-changing injuries, with the dog - which was later put down - tearing off his bottom lip and mauling each of his cheeks as well as injuring the boy's body and legs.

The whole subject seems to have been swept under the carpet.

Lots of statements at the time about the dangers of these devil dogs and yet I have not seen any kind of meaningful followup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am sure you mean Devil Owners not Devil Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

Yes that is what I meant.

Just to add this only happened in Wexford back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People always blame the owners but there are cases of decent owners whose dogs attacked and killed children. For sure sometimes the owners are to blame but I would find it illogical to think certain dogs don't have more aggressive tendencies than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lots of news stories fade away. Dunno what you are expecting OP?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I agree some dogs are way more aggressive but as regards the owners I heard this dog had attacked somebody a day or two before this tragic attack.

• Advertisement

Expecting?

I had some shred of hope that the ownership of these kind of animals would face some new kinds of restrictions and enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Statistically pit bull type dogs cause. way more serious injuries and deaths than any other.

Saying there are irresponsible owners just strengthens the case for banning all of these breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could the parents sue the dog owner, any criminal charges brought?

I thought certain dogs had to be muzzled and on a lead when out in public

That poor boy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very few restricted breed owners muzzle their dogs. They don’t feel the “rules” apply to them even though that’s what signed up to when they got the dog in the first place.

I, personally, wouldn’t be surprised if the owner of that dog has a new one just like it in his back garden by now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think he's in prison for threatening to kill his girlfriend's dad and animal cruelty. Apparently he killed the mutt himself,beat it to death or something.

Sounds like one of those "irresponsible owners".

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Small dogs savage people at a much higher rate, oh no wait, they snap and nip at a much higher rate, but that's basically the same thing.

It's not the same thing a small dog trying that will be launched off the end of somebody's foot.

Had a small dog try this with me many times I was never able to catch the thing with my foot.

Got a fright first until I seen the state of the thing coming at me.

I cannot begin to imagine the terror that this poor kid felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

https://redfm.ie/post/tragic-mia-oconnells-family-urge-people-to-think-carefully-about-dog-ownership-following-her-inquest/

So much for the devil dog theory, will the person who was the owner and or guardian at the time of her death be charged or the boy whose own families Rottweilers attacked and killed him be charged with negligence or whatever NO the same way the people who allowed kids to drive tractors on the roads resulting in their deaths, 2 so far this year not much longer than a week apart in May. If you're going to have a dog or a car, tractor etc don't let kids near it unsupervised, they can be stupid at the best of times and if you do you should be held responsible just like I would if the dog I had attacked someone. I had a Bull Terrier, a dog that technically is not on the RB list and was hounded over a muzzle while walking him, accusing him of being a dangerous breed Pitbull, by Gardai and neighbours, reported every time we left the house with him but nothing was done about us being attacked by other dogs both in my estate with him on a lead by off lead dogs that going by the law their owners were breaking it with them not being under control, one was a Beagle, several small terrier x's and a Siberian Husky grabbed my dog by the face one night, if it was my dog doing the above he'd have been taken by the Dog Warden after the first incident no doubt and put down because of how he looked. BSL doesn't work and even Garda dogs have attacked kids, other dogs and their handlers so if they're too dangerous for them then surely no one should own them if we were to go down the if they attack someone ban them route. The Garda K9 that attacked the other dog and handler was a Malinois not on the RB list the one that bit the boy in the face was a German Shepherd they are on the RB list.

If all Bull Breed dogs were banned tomorrow do you honestly think they'd die out within 20 years because if you do the situation with Pitbull in the UK where they were to be neutered, registered and shouldn't still be around hasn't worked at all. Instead now dogs are judged by how they look like a Pitbull 'type' which judging something/someone basically by oh they looks aggressive so must be imagine doing that with peoples races/appearance etc discrimination is what thats called.

Advertisement