Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

As far as I am aware the NITA is paid monthly and is payable from day one at the police college.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

its hard to keep track but the last confirmed class is in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

Last confirmed class for what?

the last class in Garnerville as it stands was for June and has already started

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Just completed my medical and DMT….. just need vetting to come back now 🙌🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

@Psnaye2023 ok thanks and the next class then willl be October or is that just rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

Just out of curiosity; has anyone applied for the prison service or currently in the job?

@Starsky1 Sorry it may have been my message that confused you, october is confirmed for call handler. At this time there are no planned officer courses, anything else is a guess. Although my guess would be October/November for the next course but again total speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

NITA is paid monthly. And is a taxable cash benefit for any salary calculators you're running.

It isn't pensionable so your starting salary pension deduction is still 12.44% of basic salary.

From pay point 2 on wards it's 13.44%

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

I applied the same time as the 2021 psni campaign. I'm in the job now. Still in the 700's for the psni though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 random202201

How are you finding it? Are you still going to go to the PSNI whenever it eventually comes round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

The 85 positions was for the 3 intakes that are currently in GV at the minute. There is 2 intakes in the mid 30s and 1 that just started with mid teens. Unfortunately none of the training staff are preparing for any further intakes this year. That goes for the admin staff in GV aswell, (its the admin staff that prepare all your kit, they get it ordered atleast 4 weeks in advance they also need to know to plan and prepare for inductions etc) as for the 50 currently remaining, they are people who got the call then deferred to the next intake so they are not currently in GV and most likely will not be in this FY

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

It's not a bad job for the most of it. The money has gone up since I started so that helped. Once you go live on the landings it takes months and months before you really start to find your feet and even still you have your fair share of stress depending on where you're detailed for the day. Everyone who starts now will go to Maghaberry once they pass out so bear that in mind. I'm still going to go through the final stages of the psni when it comes up but I'm well down the list which isn't bad in a way as it give me time to settle in where I'm at and by that stage I will have decided if the prison is my truely for me or not.

For those that haven’t seen it, there’s a specific 30-odd minute video on the Policing Board YouTube from 3 days ago all about resourcing and the budgets etc.

Lot of info in there on their shortfalls and how they’re going to make savings but I think this is the key graphic for us. Based on that, not only no more appointments this FY but 0 in FY24-25, meaning none of us will see GV before April 2025 at the earliest unless this funding issue is resolved. Very disheartening.

I’d sort of come to terms with probably not getting in this FY but to see that it could be another 2 years at least is painful

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

I partly believe that all this is a ploy to attract a bigger budget, which may well happen before then, changing the course of recruitment for the better.

But who knows 🤔

Yeah I think it’s certainly part of that. Just can’t see why they progressed the 150 when they likely knew they weren’t getting 200+ positions to offer, so hopefully come September there is some progress with the Executive, though Conor Murphy’s draft budget didn’t fare much better.

Funding and intervention needed by the British government me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 WarzoneGuy1997

Anyone else debating Scotland/England?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

It’s a honest reflection of a bleak situation. Part of it is to highlight the need for more money otherwise the above graphic is the outcome. Regarding processing the top 150, an appointable pool will be kept in the event of a deal being struck and money becoming available. Offers will likely be made shortly after decisions to increase numbers. It’s not going to get to new decade new approach numbers but that was meant to be 7500, hence 2020 & 2021 campaigns on close succession. If this is really want you want to do then wait it out. I know it’s tough but it will be worth it in the end.

How’s everyone in the waiting game? 🙈 - I’ve completed and passed everything bar vetting. Still waiting for it. Everything else done and dusted…. How much longer……..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fusk_Asker

Late 400s here. I just keep checking the news daily/ every other day and this forum to see if any good news comes up 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

I'd imagine it's going to be a long wait unless budget can increase unfortunately. The word from within the organisation is grim tbh. Not looking promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Am I right in thinking that Summer 2026 is an optimistic start date for those in the middle of the merit pool?

2036 the way things are going 🤣

In all honesty you can't put a date on it.... there could be an executive formed next month with a big financial package and they could recruit 600 officers in the next year........ equally there could be no executive formed and still no intakes this time next year...

In other news, Police in England and Wales have been given a 7% pay rise from September..

PSNI usually follow but as it's a devolved matter and no executive a decision can't be made.

No guarantee it will go ahead, but for curiosity, if it is does, this is what it would look like for us:

£26,682 x 7% = £28,550 + £3,666 (NITA) = £32,216 Starting salary...

.......and for the top of the scale it would be £49,710 as a constable 😲

Still **** pay for what’s expected of you and what you have to deal with…. Should be £35k starting and NITA followed…..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Are the majority of those in the top 150 still waiting for vetting? I noticed my credit report was checked a few months ago but haven’t heard a thing.

don’t want to jinx anything but would I be right in assuming that for the most part is no news good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 random202201

Exact same position! I havent heard anything yet, was wondering whether many other people had cleared vetting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Had a check pop up on credit report about 2 months ago, nothing yet myself

I asked vetting yesterday as I’ve literally went through every stage and only waiting on the vetting so I was curious. They told me my checks were currently been done and I would be notified via email once a result was received. Such a long wait….

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

From checking other years posts I think if you call vetting they can only tell you that it’s ongoing, don’t think they’re able to say if you’re say almost done or barely started etc which is a bit of a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

that was my experience. I never got any updates when I asked but I did get an email when my vetting was completed. Given the budget issues it was a while before I got an offer. Hopefully the news over recent days is heading towards a positive outcome in the assembly which might lead to more money in the budget and offers for student officers.

Advertisement