Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

For the purpose of this thread it becomes necessary to use such terms otherwise it becomes impossible to follow, it's not something I'd use elsewhere (I'd also rarely use he/she preferring they unless someone has indicated otherwise).

I don’t think it’s unreasonable however to expect that if you claim women’s participation in sports will be reduced to zero as a consequence of men participating in women’s sports

Female sports have had problems for years with encouraging participation and fighting for equality of pay, sponsorship and prizes. I don't think any sports body is going to wait around for the damage to be done by trans-athletes but will be pro-active about it, so it's unlikely you'll ever fully get your test case and for that reason, female participation is never likely to be decimated.

It is also best to remember that this debate is happening over a mere handful of cases of primarily amateur level mid-level athletes. As I mentioned before, sports bodies will change rules over single cases. If there is "growth" in western society, we'll likely see a growing % of people who are trans as it becomes more accepted in society (a good thing), at that point the changes happening now (female and open divisions, rules around testosterone and puberty) will make it clear for everyone when, where and how they can compete.

aside: my latest takeaway on your position is that you don't care where and how people compete as you don't think that female sport will be impacted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Homosexuality was decriminalised in 1967 i doubt he struggled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You are correct. I was wrong. Thinking of Ireland.

With regards to struggled, why do you doubt? Mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

For the purpose of this thread it becomes necessary to use such terms otherwise it becomes impossible to follow…

Yet I’m managing just fine? I did try to use those terms by way of avoiding that rathole you spoke of earlier, but I can’t make my brain bend that way. It’s not for the lack of trying, it’s just expecting my brain should be capable of doing the impossible. I’m not posting in good faith when I know I’m being dishonest. Much as I’m intrigued by the concept of neuroplasticity, it’s been demonstrated scientifically that ‘brainwashing’ is simply not possible - can’t make the brain do something it can’t.

I probably could have done with knowing that before ingesting copious quantities of drugs in my youth in an effort to switch off those parts of my brain, in order to impede my ability to be capable of rational thought, but that’s an anecdote for another day 😒

It is also best to remember that this debate is happening over a mere handful of cases of primarily amateur level mid-level athletes.

It’s not though, and I don’t mean to say that for the sake of disagreeing with you, but this debate is happening over policies, not individuals. It’s happening because those people had been suppressed in society, and when society can’t see it, they can’t understand it, they can’t know it. That’s why you’re having considerable difficulty supporting your hypothetical and yes, it is an extraordinary claim, and I don’t wish to see the devolution of women’s sports. It’s your theory, you’re responsible for it. I don’t see its utility so I have no interest in its testability.

I do however, have a vested interest in promoting Human Rights and all that ideology contains and continues to contribute to society, because the one thing you’ve got absolutely spot-on is that I have no interest whatsoever in modelling a society structured like Iran and all that entails. In that sense - no, I don’t care about how and where anyone competes, and I don’t think that women’s participation rates in sports will be impacted by it.

That already happens, but rather than concern myself with issues outside of my control, such as the welfare of women who wish to compete in sports in countries where they are prohibited from participating, and people who are transgender are forced to undergo dangerous surgical procedures with no regard for their mental, physical and emotional health, in order that these countries can claim there are no homosexuals among the population, I prefer to work more locally, more closely with people who are experiencing unfair treatment and difficulties in a society which is not structured to accommodate their needs and uphold their right to be regarded in law as equal human beings worthy of being treated with dignity and respect.

Being unable to use their words shouldn’t preclude anyone from being included in that conversation. Basic stuff like 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cool. Four pages after my last post and I remembered why I don't usually post in this. No point. Not a debate. It's an I'm-right-you're-wrong-thread. 10/10 for those who created their own meaning from my words. As ye were.

It’s not though, and I don’t mean to say that for the sake of disagreeing with you, but this debate is happening over policies, not individuals. It’s happening because those people had been suppressed in society, and when society can’t see it, they can’t understand it, they can’t know it. That’s why you’re having considerable difficulty supporting your hypothetical and yes, it is an extraordinary claim, and I don’t wish to see the devolution of women’s sports. It’s your theory, you’re responsible for it. I don’t see its utility so I have no interest in its testability.

It's been the opposite of that case, initially there were no rules and competition was allowed (bar most contact sports, though there have been cases such as Fallon Fox) and over time, rules and policies have been brought in as the science has evolved, e.g. the latest changes with regard puberty and not solely setting testosterone limits.

The extraordinary claim is that males can compete in the female categories without any ill effect on the sports for females, I understand that is harder to defend (thus trying to proclaim the opposite as extraordinary).

And, as has been pointing out numerous times, there is no human right to compete in a category you do not qualify for, whether the category is age, gender, weight or skill level. The rules for sports are quite clear in this regard (including having rules around completely legal drug taking, for example which have been tested in numerous courts already).

Unless your argument is that human rights should change to disregard such categories, which is a very different rabbit hole.

Well now you’re just being disingenuous. Historically it hasn’t been the opposite of that case, and not until the Stockholm Consensus in 2003 was the idea even considered. And not until 2015 was the idea revisited and the policy restrictions were eased again, and eased again in 2022.

The extraordinary claim is that males can compete in the female categories without any ill effect on the sports for females, I understand that is harder to defend (thus trying to proclaim the opposite as extraordinary).

Harder to defend? Again I’m not going to defend an argument I never made. You want reassurances against a claim you put forward, I can’t give them to you, nobody can; what I can do however is point out that as society has evolved, women’s participation in sports has increased, and with continued investment in women’s sports, they will continue to develop. There is no requirement to measure that development using men’s sports as the yardstick. What anyone else can do is support your efforts to develop women’s sports and encourage women’s participation in sports if the participation of women in sports is important to them.

And, as has been pointing out numerous times, there is no human right to compete in a category you do not qualify for, whether the category is age, gender, weight or skill level. The rules for sports are quite clear in this regard (including having rules around completely legal drug taking, for example which have been tested in numerous courts already).

That’s an answer looking for a question. Nobody has put forth the idea that a human right exists to compete in a category which they do not qualify for. And it is disingenuous to infer that the rules are set in stone, incapable of change. The rules in law in the relevant jurisdictions where sports are played are just as clear, and they too are subject to change as society evolves. It’s for this reason for example that marriage equality came about, in spite of doommongers predictions about the future of Irish society and their ability to find a useful idiot who supported their claims. No idea what Paddy Manning is up to these days but he’s probably still waiting for the downfall of civilised society in order to say I told you so.

Again, this is where the caveats apply*, in most cases, where trans-men and trans-women have been allowed to compete, the criteria for competing was quite low, understanding that this is only a relatively recent (since early 2000's as you note) occurrence, however, since being able to compete in categories that weren't their assigned gender at birth (intersex aside as that's another argument) the science behind it and the rules applied because of that have been evolving to where we are heading today (non-male puberty with testosterone limits category and open category).

Harder to defend? Again I’m not going to defend an argument I never made. You want reassurances against a claim you put forward, I can’t give them to you, nobody can; what I can do however is point out that as society has evolved, women’s participation in sports has increased, and with continued investment in women’s sports, they will continue to develop. There is no requirement to measure that development using men’s sports as the yardstick. What anyone else can do is support your efforts to develop women’s sports and encourage women’s participation in sports if the participation of women in sports is important to them.

Completely agree on this, but that isn't a trans-gender issue. For this to be relevant, you have to argue the reason the various sports bodies are changing the rules around competing and it can't (well it can, but it's not a very good argument) be that it's down to all of them wanting to discriminate against trans-people.

That’s an answer looking for a question. Nobody has put forth the idea that a human right exists to compete in a category which they do not qualify for. And it is disingenuous to infer that the rules are set in stone, incapable of change. The rules in law in the relevant jurisdictions where sports are played are just as clear, and they too are subject to change as society evolves. It’s for this reason for example that marriage equality came about, in spite of doommongers predictions about the future of Irish society and their ability to find a useful idiot who supported their claims. No idea what Paddy Manning is up to these days but he’s probably still waiting for the downfall of civilised society in order to say I told you so.

For sports, this is spurious reasoning and again falling down the trap of labelling the various sports bodies, Seb Coe, Caitlin Jenner, Martina Navratilova et al as bigots because they don't support no limits on people competing across categories. And again, this has been backed up by the various court cases that have occurred (understanding that the US has it's own microcosm going on but is not really relevant at the IOC, Rugby boards, various international athletics boards levels).

Even on this thread we've seen numerous flip-flops on contact sports occur for people arguing against categories and even categories existing at all (but that seems to be down to contrarianism).

No need at all for the caveats, I think we understand each other well enough at this point. Your counter-claim was way off is all.

You brought up the issue, I’m not seeing why you’re now attempting to argue it’s irrelevant, particularly when it forms the basis of your objections. In real-world terms your hypothetical doomsday scenario is found to be wanting is all.

I’ve not fallen down any trap as I haven’t referred to anyone as a bigot, not my thing, I’ve got plenty of my own prejudices to contend with and frankly I don’t care for arguments from authority in any case, but if anyone were using ideas founded in bigotry to justify their beliefs, claims, arguments, whatever you like - I can’t say I’m shocked that they are inevitably identified as bigots! You make it sound like anyone should be shocked by this. It’s not exactly a revelation, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

49 year old (18 years older than next youngest competitor) wins bronze in women's T12 400m at para athletics championship last week.

In the article below the competition director of the Tour of the Gila won by novice cyclist Austin Killips, acknowledges it "could kill the sport". It seems like people have to see this stuff with their own eyes before they acknowledge reason. More important, it gives the women who are impacted, the ammunition they need to fight the battle.

Every month that goes by, yet another example of the sheer ridiculousness of this situation comes to pass.

Yet it continues to get defended. Remember when we were told 5-years ago, "...but there are no cases where this is happening". Our side of the argument, for very obvious reasons, turned out to be right. And it will only get worse if this crazed policy continues. Thankfully, sporting organizations are starting to see the light.

You'd have to wonder about the defenders of this policy -- what level of destroying women's sport would be sufficient to change their minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

From the article.....

"Petrillo’s involvement in international competition has long been the subject of consternation. Having only begun hormone therapy to begin transitioning in 2019, aged 45, Petrillo entered the 100, 200 and 400 metres for women at Italy’s Paralympic championships the following year and immediately won all three races. “Better to be a slow happy woman than a fast unhappy man,” the athlete told the BBC. “I don’t feel like I’m stealing anything from anyone.”

When Petrillo, who is understood not to have undergone gender reassignment surgery, was refused access to the female changing rooms in Ancona, the athlete lashed out at detractors as “being on the same level as Hitler”.

“I’ve not undergone hormone therapy to win, I’ve done it for myself,” said Petrillo, who is married to a woman and has two children."

The world has gone crazy

Petrillo just came second in the 200m. Curious that she doesn't run with a guide. T12 is a visually impaired category.

The link is still there, but the site software hides it, if it's tagged (I guess) as a broken link, which it is. If I try to edit the post it appears briefly and disappears. So, the system wants rid of it. I suppose I could do that to correct the record. But, does anyone care enough? I doubt it ..

Post edited by plodder on

I dunno plodder, says at the start of the clip that guides aren’t compulsory?

Seems the video has been deleted now! 😳

Now you see it, now you don’t 😂

Dunno man, I manage fine without a guide, breaks my balls when my son rearranges the furniture though 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 12,877 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

This thread has shown me that there are grown adults out there that have less knowledge of biology that primary school children.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

"You'd have to wonder about the defenders of this policy -- what level of destroying women's sport would be sufficient to change their minds?"

I strongly suspect that for some it comes from a place of meaning well but not understanding the ramifications of their actions.

For some it is a way to show they are intelligent, as they are too sophisticated in their thinking to distinguish people based upon their sex.

Then you have those who are down right misogynistic and use this as a cover.

Then there will be those who are just going with what they seem to think is the public opnion, or views held by their peers.

For some it is a way to show they are intelligent, as they are too sophisticated in their thinking to distinguish people based upon their sex.

This definitely exists.

I generally believe though that the people who go off on some so-called sophisticated approach to this sport issue don't actually believe a word they're saying.

It's like those people you often come across in life who argue for the sake of arguing, not because they actually believe anything. It becomes an empty conversation filled with meaningless waffle, detached from how things are in the real world.

I tend to stay well away from this type as much as possible because they want the oxygen of debate for the sake of it and I think it's best to keep them deprived of that which they crave.

Ultimately, there's nothing intellectual or sophisticated about letting biological males compete with women or else you're a bigot. That's the opposite of intellectual.

It's irrational and counter to logic.

I dunno plodder, says at the start of the clip that guides aren’t compulsory?

Seems the video has been deleted now! 😳

I think they deleted the tweet as the race was actually a semi-final. The final was later today and she came third.

Now you see it, now you don’t 😂

Dunno man, I manage fine without a guide, breaks my balls when my son rearranges the furniture though 😒

Are you visually impaired? Maybe consider opening your eyes if not ..

• Advertisement

I think they deleted the tweet as the race was actually a semi-final. The final was later today and she came third.

That explains it 👍

Are you visually impaired? Maybe consider opening your eyes if not ..

Well, yes, and even with both eyes open, one of them still doesn’t work at all, and my vision in the other isn’t worth a shìt. Nothing wrong with my hearing though, as my mother once commented when I was a child - I’d hear a mouse fart in a flour mill 😂

I adapted is all, I wasn’t born this way, so people wouldn’t notice if they didn’t know already… or if they didn’t go rearranging the furniture unbeknownst to me 🙄 The office is also set up to accommodate my needs, it helps that my employer isn’t a dick 🤨

None of that is actually particularly interesting though, far more interesting is someone who’s blind and makes their living as a make-up artist and influencer on YouTube. You may remember her from her advertising work with Pantene, definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it 😁

For what it’s actually worth, which is not a whole lot at this point, the tweet you posted was embedded earlier, then it wasn’t, hence the, y’know, joke, when I imagined it wasn’t just me who wasn’t seeing the tweet embedded any more, let alone when it was deleted. I knew you hadn’t edited your post, but nobody can see something which isn’t there, even with 20/20 vision:

Perhaps ‘tis my imagination, perception can be funny like that, but can you see an embedded tweet in your post in the screenshot above? 🤔

I think it's because the system recognises it as a media (twitter) link and because the tweet was deleted, the link is broken, so it hides it. If I try to edit it, the link appears briefly and then disappears, like it wants me to confirm deleting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Another example of how Twitter has become an unreliable source of information and media.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has become? It's a cesspool of conflicting agendas, US social and racial issues that have no place anywhere else but which we keep having to deal with anyway, and narcissists and attention seekers looking for validation.

A reliable source of information isn't something I would have ever associated with the platform.

In this case, I wouldn’t hold Twitter responsible. Like sure, it’s still shìt, as a platform, for numerous reasons, but in this case it was the primary source was the issue, it’s why I don’t blame plodder for reproducing it here as example of the issues, which later proved to be a bit of an anti-climactic damp squib.

The source in this case was reduxx media, not even going to get into their politics, but they were obviously eager to get the jump on the inevitable outrage bandwagon that forms around these examples. It just turned out they’d their facts wrong, and the point about Petrillo being the only athlete to run without the assistance of a guide was portrayed as being something of note, when it’s possibly the least controversial aspect of the whole pitiful spectacle.

I don’t know do they expect their audience aren’t familiar with the concept of guides, but you’re strapped to another human being, and it involves an enormous amount of trust first of all, and training. Choosing to forego that assistance has downsides and upsides depending upon one’s own circumstances, one of the downsides being that it allows the likes of reduxx to portray your decision to run unassisted as being indicative of ulterior motives, or that you don’t need assistance. I can think of several reasons why blind athletes would prefer to run unassisted.

At least on their website, they provide an article in longer form, which to be fair to them gives a broader context than is possible in a video presented out of context on a short form attention-grabbing medium:

https://reduxx.info/male-athlete-bronze-in-final-of-womens-200m-at-2023-para-athletics-world-games/

More info on Petrillo’s condition here -

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-stargardt-disease

And an intro to Paralympic guide running here -

https://exerciseright.com.au/an-introduction-to-paralympic-guide-running/#:~:text=The%20guide%20helps%20the%20runner,aid%20them%20along%20the%20way.

Have to admit I had come across the idea before, but it was after reading about this guy I decided it wasn’t for me… as if 😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brown_(parathlete)

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/02/david-brown-paralympics-100m-tokyo-blinde-runner

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So this Italian person couldn't place in men's events suddenly changes gender and starts breaking records in women's Paralympics events

How suprising

Post edited by Gatling on

Thanks for not "blaming me" for posting it. I'm relieved about that.

Seriously though, they deleted the tweet because they made a mistake and they care about the truth, which was that a male bodied competitor 18 years older than the next oldest came third in the women's 400m T12 event, and also came third in the 200m T12.

It was me who pointed out the fact that she didn't use a guide. That was a curiosity and by the way, and definitely not the significant point.

You’re responsible for posting it, obviously; what you’re not responsible for is falling for reduxx media’s… effort. I’ll call it that.

Less seriously, they deleted the tweet because someone, somewhere, had an ounce of sense and it must have occurred to them it was a really, really bad idea to go there, for a whole host of reasons, not limited to the PR backlash from their intended target audience who take great exception to the idea that they would set their sights on people with disabilities. That’s a lobby group in the US and the UK that nobody wants to piss off! 😂

And you pointing out the fact that Petrillo wasn’t using a guide wasn’t an issue, I could totally understand why anyone would wonder why Petrillo didn’t have a guide and the rest of the competitors do. My point in response to that was that they’re not required to have a guide, commentators even pointed it out at the beginning of the clip, and I could totally understand you missed it. I was referring to the fact that reduxx had made the point, in their article, for the reasons I stated.

What I don’t believe is that reduxx care about the truth, because if they were actually at all interested in the truth, they wouldn’t have used the example they did to promote their agenda. It’s so badly misguided on so many levels, and then they didn’t even bother to do their research. To see what I mean, here’s the Tokyo Paralympics women’s T12 100m event:

Their guides also get medals.

Then there was this nonsense:

Petrillo, born Fabrizio, was competing against Cuba’s Omara Durand, Venezuela’s Alejandra Perez Lopez, and Germany’s Katrin Mueller-Rottgardt. Amongst the competitors, only Petrillo was running without an athletic guide — a runner intended to assist the visually impaired athletes safely make their way through the course.

It’s not a fcuking obstacle course, the reason why some athletes need a guide and some don’t, becomes clear if one actually considers what is meant by the T12 category 😒

I genuinely didn’t want to be the asshole that points out what was obvious to me, expecting it should be obvious to everyone else whom it was obvious had never before even heard of the T12 category, but it took me all of two seconds on google to confirm that competitors eligible for the T12 category were partially sighted, visually impaired, not completely blind. That’s why I said I don’t know that there’s anything much to the idea of Petrillo running without the assistance of a guide - could be any number of reasons.

That’s why I don’t blame you for the false start caused by reduxx tripping over themselves to be first.

Less seriously, they deleted the tweet because someone, somewhere, had an ounce of sense and it must have occurred to them it was a really, really bad idea to go there, for a whole host of reasons,

Apparently not. They posted a corrected tweet later.

• Advertisement

I know, there must have been some craic in that office going back and forth in deciding whether or not they go there 😂

What I’m saying is that it doesn’t mitigate my point that they wanted to be first, then deleted the original tweet that made them look utterly stupid, and posted that one which makes them look just a little less stupid, IMO, obviously. It still has the intended effect of driving eyeballs to their website, where their about section says exactly what they’re about -

Pro-Woman.

Pro-Child Safeguarding.

Anti-Bullsh*t.

That last one tho… at least they have a sense of humour about themselves 😁

Advertisement