Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Artificial Intelligence

Options
  • 17-07-2023 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this has been discussed in a current thread.

AI is developing so fast with many powered technologies such as voice and language processing including online computer vision, the process of image and audio recognition which will change the way we interact with all forms of media. AI technology is able to process and analyze vast amounts of data much faster then before, making it easier to find and access the information we need.

Whats anyone's take on the future of AI and what affect it may have on your/our future?

😲

Comments

AI needs to be highly regulated, as with any fast developing industry.

But all the apocalyptic talk of AI potentially becoming so powerful that it could threaten civilisation is fearmongering nonsense.

The immediate threat is the truth , it’s been hard enough to keep on top of lies and truth til now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's going to be a social, political and industrial revolution all rolled into one to be honest. We're at risk of creating a vast, growing demographic of "useless" people who won't be able to find work due to so much being automated. It's a bit early to be fearing the worst but two things are certain: Every aspect of society will change in one regard or another and we're going to have to regulate AI very carefully.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The AI voiceover scams on FB are wild. People p1ssing their pants because they think JLO wants to give them a free face cream sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If it's not already the case, soon there will be nothing in terms of audio and even visual output that can't be faked.

The importance of teaching people to be critically literate and especially, critically digitally literate, is immense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's too late for that. Social media firms have curated millions of bespoke echo chambers and this will continue until something disastrous happens. There's just an ocean of content nowadays and AI's only going to generate more so there'll be even less time to scrutinize things.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Here's the British financial advisor Martin Lewis commenting on a deepfake video of him praising some Bitcoin scam or something.

Hard to see how at least some people wouldn't be taken in by stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭nachouser

Just needs Lewis to post on twitter that it's not him in either of the two videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dunno it's very possible. Already have AI being used in the military, so isn't too off the wall where you get errors and AI does things it shouldn't, and then when we start getting into actual AI instead of what most people see it as now, could get a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's literally nothing you can trust anywhere now unless you check it.

It's also harder to find and check information as search engines push what they want you to find, (so they can sell ads) not what you are looking for.

• Advertisement

Could, but regulation will fast put the brakes on these fantasy outcomes.

How absurd. It's not his responsibility to tweet every time someone uses his likeness for a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Internet has been around for close to 30 years in it's modern form and politicians still haven't caught up. You're naive if you think they will here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I see...........so everyone checks twitter before or after they watch a video to determine its authenticity......I have to hand it to you, you're a real problem solver, that's watertight!

Good job👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭nachouser

It was a joke about the possibility of a deep-fake Lewis explaining how its likeness was used to deceive. And the real Lewis posting on twitter that it wasn't him in the clip linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

It already is with people in Ireland working with the EU in developing the regulations.

http://osullivan.ucc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

What annoys me, is that we're in a sort of limbo at the moment, where I cant genuinely tell whether articles have been written by AI or a real person. Part of this is due to (what I perceive as) a decline in writing standards, but it definitely feels like half the stuff that pops up on my phones feed - particularly stuff from sites like gizmodo, destructoid, screenrant, etc has been written by AI.

Most journalist for years have been copying and pasting from the web. You are not really in limbo at all. Chatgpt etc is just a fancy search engine and speeds up the process for these journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

its two sides of a coin, in one sense, its similar to someone poring over library books, taking info, and presenting it with their own take on it, but that presentation was identifiable by things like their turn of phrase, pacing, the way they make comparisons, etc.

these days, so much content is vapid muck, thats (in all likelihood) mathematically put together in such a way as to drive clicks and generate engagement, yet the articles themselves all follow similar structures, touch on similar beats, and have meandering paragraphs of mostly irrelevant waffle in the middle, and I cant decide if its just poor journalism or the limitations of AI.

Post edited by Stone Deaf 4evr on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been working actively in the field for the last while and fascinated by everything AI for a long time. All I can say is things are going to change radically over the next few years and we are absolutely not prepared. AI Agents and chatbots are already replacing jobs and it's only going to accelerate.

Elon Musk just launched X.ai with a view to try to understand the universe. He thinks AGI superintelligence is about 5-6 years away, so 2029 which lines up with Ray Kurzweil - after the singularity we really have no idea what is going to happen. It may kill us all but I doubt it - but it has the potential to create so much value we can barely imagine. By using AI and robotics to lower production costs by orders of magnitude, we may soon live in a time of complete abundance and have a utopian future. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I would agree with this though I think initially it won't be deliberate lies but rather lazy generation of unreliable content which will saturate the internet.

Over time biases will build up leading to strange structures and belief systems. A form of artificial digital life.

Honestly if you are interested in AI the worst person to quote is Elon Musk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The best thing to do to stop the progression of AI is to sell AI companies to Elon Musk and let him run them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Sarah Silverman sues Chat GPT for breach of copyright

This is the first serious law suit as far as I can see against Chat GPT. And could open the door to a heap of other legal repercussions. Since things like Chat GPT went live, ISP's and hosting services have noticed that there is huge increase in traffic across the web. And it's being attributed to things like Chat GPT scraping off info from every single web page is has access to.

There is a very good chance Chat GPT or similar has scraped off every bit of personal info it can find about you on the web and it has the ability to correlate is all together.

It 100% needs to be regulated and also limited in what it can do by the ISP's such as Virgin, Vodafone, Sky and Eir and what not.

So for example, any IP attempting access +100 .ie websites in less than a minute should be blocked. (As a VERY rough example)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's not talked about a lot but Tesla have extremely advanced AI via their Dojo supercomputer - and have built their own proprietary chips for use in cars and the Optimus robot. It's just not currently in ChatGPT format but that is what X.ai will bring in time. Wait a year or two and just see what X.ai will be doing vs the competition..

ChatGPT is just a nice way to advertise, in reality a lot of companies across the World have made huge developments in AI and a lot better than anything ChatGPT has provided.

As we have seen it is potentially a copyright nightmare so most companies just give it access to their own proprietary data and not just out to the rest of web like ChatGPT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Surely that's just good advice for a whole range of things.

All Eyes On Rafah

I honestly don't see the attraction in the guy....the Tesla cars are poorly built. The best I seen was a Tesla fanboy waited years for his Model 3 to arrive and the spoiler fell off on his first drive. He made excuses for the shocking build quality. People seem to think a big flatscreen is next gen technology

If Tesla was actually ground breaking they would have AI in the car, integrating something like Alexa into the car. Like I have Alexa in my car just for music but really in this day and age why can't we have it turning heating on/off etc?? banging around on a stupid flatscreen is not my idea of next gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

So how soon will AI or AGI cure cancer or develop anti-aging drugs etc?

My point is, are we going to see it do anything tangible within our lifetimes other than just show off and look impressive?

Advertisement