Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He's never been 38 before, and he was rubbish in the Connacht game after he came back from an injury last year. Lads the halo you have placed over Johnny's head is blinding your judgement

So you want to punish the referee for Sextons bad behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

Fantastic captain Ireland have got there. Sets a truly inspirational example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not placing on halo around him. He has routinely played for Ireland after lengthy absences and has mostly always been fine. It's not ideal, but by the time SA comes around he should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment - hoping for a bit a silver lining from the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Agreed.

His one man show against Northampton remains a truly phenomenal performance.

Based on what the IRFU doctors have said, Sexton needed all 3 warmup games to return to fitness. This implies that he's going to need to be heavily involved in the 2 pool games before South Africa.

So much for managing his minutes and saving him for the knockouts. Can he reasonably be expected to play 7 games in 8 weeks if Ireland are to win the RWC?

Surely Farrell needs to bring another 10 into the camp unless he wants to risk Frawley to be either benching or starting a knockout game of the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Interesting to see that Peyper never received an apology from Johnny or Leinster - and surprising that full 50% mitigation was applied despite that (the committee seeing that he had shown sufficient remorse for his actions (and explicitly not just self-pity).

Still far from ideal for Ireland - our best ten will be going into the RWC completely raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jesus there’s some bitterness going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd be unhappy too if I was them. He was found guilty, showed no remorse and still had his ban halfed.

From an Irish point of view I see no actual evidence for a ban so it seems harsh.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

They didn't really have proof, Sexton admitted it himself, which is the reason why the suspension was halved.

The doctors did not say that, they just said he was fit. Farrell said he would have some involvement in all three matches in order to be match fit. Which he would obviously say.

Time in camp is best spent on Crowley and Byrne who will now have larger parts to play in the warm ups. This decision makes zero difference to the likelihood of Frawley being involved in a knockout game - it would need 2 flyhalf injuries and for those to come in such a way that cover can't be brought over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - He's hardly going to go into the hearing and say "Well, he was never going to play those games anyway so the ban shouldn't really apply to those games".

Of course he's going to say "He would absolutely have been in contention of selection for all those games so a ban covering those games is definitely a penalty"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I guess the fact that incident 3 of alleged misconduct was Johnny going towards Peyper to apologise and being sent away counts as an apology.

Also Sexton contacted the head of the officialsfor epcr to apologise (as post match contact is supposed to go through him) and nothing was passed on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

57 days it took then to bring this to a conclusion... 57 days!

none of the four officials actually heard exactly what was said, and while the actions were clear, they amounted to nothing more than gesticulations and "looking / staring at" the officials.

sexton apologised two days after the incident to the head of the match officials, saying emotions got the better of him.

im very glad those looking for their pound of flesh are very disappointed.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

This decision makes zero difference to the likelihood of Frawley being involved in a knockout game

Exactly. A few days ago, there was the possibility that Sexton would be banned for the RWC, in addition to his injury risk, and still we didn't call anyone up. We now know he'll be available, so why would we call anyone else up now?

But furthermore - Frawley is the out-half cover. If we get a couple of injuries, then yes, Frawley will start or bench in a knock-out game. That is absolutely the plan and tbh, I wouldn't be shocked if Frawley travels in the first place at the expense of Crowley or Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He apologised to the EPCR guy Tony Spreadbury because he had shouted/"sprayed" at him too. There was no indication that Johnny was also apologising for his actions towards the refereeing team.

Such is indicated in TS's statement: "I received a text message from Johnny Sexton explaining that he wished to apologize for the way he had spoken to me during the match... Sexton did not mention the match officials during the call, so I took his apology as being solely to me personally; rather than as a general apology to the match officials"

Though the report does indicate that Johnny is going to apologise directly to the ref team too.

Interesting from the legal perspective if nothing else!

I think if e.g. Byrne got a multi week injury then cover is coming over from Ireland and I wouldn't discount them starting ahead of Frawley at all. But Frawley is absolutely the squad cover.

You wouldn't be shocked if the outhalf cover is in the 33 man squad is

Sexton, Byrne Frawley

or

Sexton Crowley, Frawley?

ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But furthermore - Frawley is the out-half cover. If we get a couple of injuries, then yes, Frawley will start or bench in a knock-out game.

That’s incredibly unlikely to happen tho. The likelihood is Carbery would be called up to cover an injury imo.

There’s also the possibility that Ireland could go 6/2, or even just stick with the starting 10 for the 80.

That is absolutely the plan and tbh, I wouldn't be shocked if Frawley travels in the first place at the expense of Crowley or Byrne.

I would definitely be shocked if that happened tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Sexton was ready to go 100% I wouldn't be surprised to see a utility back who could cover 10 (if one was good enough I don't think Frawley is. I mean Id class him as Leinster's 6th choice Centre and maybe 4th choice 15).

But at the expense of Crowley or Byrne??

Frawley might go in the 33. But I just don’t see it happening at the expense of Crowley or Byrne.

Right now, they along with Sexton are the 3 10’s that almost certainly will be travelling, fitness permitting.

I just don’t see any way that Frawley goes as the 3rd choice 10 in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Unless Harry Bryne is playing out of his skin, it's Sexton, Bryne and Crowley. I imagine Harry and Crowley will split 2 of the warm ups, with Ross starting vs England

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sexton saying that he went towards the officials to apologise for his initial reaction to them. I hope the posters that couldn't accept Kleyn's word will be more understanding here as it would be awful of them to attempt to tarnish the reputation of a great Irish player and our captain.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sorry, you are correct... 57 days!!!

may 20th to july 16th

ill put that down to my new varifocal glasses that are wrecking my head. i still trying to get used to moving my head to look through a certain point of the lens. its a PITA

Hopefully people have regained consciousness now. To be clear, I meant "I wouldn't be shocked" in its literal sense.

I think Byrne and Crowley will go, but I absolutely don't think anyone else will be brought in ahead of Frawley if it came to it. I can't see any way Carbery (or anyone else) takes no part in the training squad but is parachuted back into the middle of the tournament and Frawley rides the pine. That really doesn't fit with Farrell's MO.

I also think people have forgotten just how highly Frawley is (or was, anyway) regarded at out-half by Farrell despite a negligible body of work for Leinster.

Maori tour - Frawley started both games at 10

Emerging Ireland tour - Frawley identified by the mgmt pre-tour as a key player they wanted to look at (as an out-half)

New Zealand 'A' game - Frawley started at 10 (then gets injured...)

Six Nations - Frawley is brought back into the Ireland squad for rounds 4 and 5, only a couple of days after his first game for Leinster in 5 months (since the NZ A game).

If Frawley is doing the business in training, I don't think it's out of the question that he goes in the 33-man squad tbh. He is clearly very highly rated by the Irish coaches, they have backed him to a greater or lesser degree at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Crowley also played a good chunk games at 12 and has played 15 in the past. So I don't see any benefit of picking Frawley over him. And given the choice (and the rest of the squad we have), I'd rather take the 10 who covers centre over the centre who covers 10.

• Advertisement

To be clear, I meant "I wouldn't be shocked" in its literal sense.

But, by any measure, it literally would be a shock selection.

As for this:

Hopefully people have regained consciousness now.

c’mon like…

Advertisement