Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever Young Festival 2023 14th-16th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My heart goes out to ye lads. What a **** weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

It’s wet and mucky for sure. Seems they’ve gone for a different layout, moved things round. Campsites are in different locations to previous years and I think the arena is now what was a campsite last year.

We got here at 12:15pm yesterday and also got sent the wrong way. We queued for over an hour in a slow moving crawl creeping round what seemed like the perimeter of the site.

We made the most of it last night, had a good night as the rain held off. Silent disco was a bit of craic.

The arena will be sloppy today as it was sloppy when we left last night. I’m surprised Sharon hasn’t shared an update this morning even if it’s just to reassure everyone that it can all go ahead today especially after yesterday’s update that was shared here earlier.

Hope the rain eases and we get to enjoy the acts later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Posted a few minutes ago on Facebook

Forever Young Festival announcement 

We are so sorry to announce that due to the extreme unseasonal weather conditions, the safety team at Forever Young Festival need to postpone ALL day visitors to the festival until tomorrow, weather permitting.

We are heartbroken to bring you this news, but everyone's safety has to be our priority.

Saturday ticket holders and weekend no camping ticket holder sadly can not be admitted to site. 

Anyone on site is at present unaffected and we intend to run the show to a reduced audience. 

We are so sorry

Please watch our social media for further updates

Jesus, that'll go down well. Nightmare for the organisers, they'll be taking a big hit. A lot of goodwill accumulated over the last couple of years will take a hit too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Herself is up there camping and they are pulling out. Ground is so wet at this point the tent pegs won't stay in the ground. Amazing the difference between last years weather and this.

• Advertisement

Putting the financial element aside I think reason they've not cancelled everything all together is because it would be a complete **** show getting everyone out of here. Especially camper vans and caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus that's a disaster. Just drove past the area on the motorway as I heard that statement on the radio this morning, the weather has been atrocious in fairness but can't recall a festival in Ireland doing that before?

Apparently it's to do with evacuation times and mass influx of people leaving tonight. It's why there still letting weekend campers in as theres probably not that many more due and they are unlikely to be leaving until Monday morning.

The worse of the rain is to be over with by 4 so hopefully that helps a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Thanks for posting. I have day ticket for tomorrow. Presumably we won't be allowed in either as Saturday day holders wouldn't be happy if Sunday day trippers were then allowed in. I wonder when we'll know.

All depends on the weather. It's still belting down here. Just chilling in the car waiting for it to ease. Personally think it should of been cancelled altogether but that's just me.

This has to be the worst weekend downpour since before May ?

• Advertisement

Just checked the weather for tomorrow - heavy showers thunder and lightening in the afternoon. They can't have double capacity day trippers there tomorrow - makes no sense given the conditions. They really should just cancel this now. Def Leppard and Motley Crue last week was a washout but this does seem to be worse.

Same thing happened at Standon Calling two years ago when I was there - the show was pulled from the Sunday lunchtime.

I feel so sorry for the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That’s insane posting a message so late in the day for the day festival goers who would already have set out on their journey- very bad form- sounds like the organisers just don’t have the capability to organise a pizz up in a brewery no less a concert. It was obvious since last Tuesday that weather this weekend was going to be poor- plenty of time so make some weather related arrangements

It's now almost 5pm on Saturday and they still haven't commented on whether Saturday and Weekend Non Camping tickets can attend tomorrow or if tomorrow is going ahead at all for those with Sunday day tickets. Bonkers stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Pretty sure we can put a headstone up on the grave of this festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Was there last night to see Squeeze essentially .

Had to park a long way from the concert field as a day ticket holder . No problem going in once we clicked where we were meant to be going ( bad festival directions supplied ) and we were not going early, 7.30 ish .

It stopped raining heavily at 8 PM .so we stayed along with many others in the car till then .

We brought some seats and sat at the back to start with .

Heineken bars had beer on draught and plastic non disposable cups for all drink given on arrival. No cans or drink allowed in . Heavy searching by security as flagged .

Very cold and windy but apart from the odd spit the night was dry.

Hothouse Flowers..hmmm..zzzzz.....then livened up with XSM Simple Minds Tribute .

Moved up to main arena in front of stage for Squeeze. They were brilliant for their whole set , loved it .

Crowd were in great form a lot of people decked out and Abbaesque finished us off !

All very enjoyable .

Bit mucky in all walking areas but especially vehicle entrances and exits . Well lit and stewarded and plenty of police doing traffic control on the way out . Much better than Malahide Castle which was positively dangerous to get out of , but pretty close to M7 for access so it helps.

I really credit Fienta for their organisation of this . It is a shame the weather is destroying what would be a well run and good fun festival this year. They should have had contingency plans though to cover areas or weather proofing or even cancelling as they knew this torrential weather was coming this week .

It's quite dangerous underfoot .

One thing we noted to start with was no matting on walkways which were turning to sludge as early as yesterday .

It's not like EP as the age group is heavily skewed towards people in their 50s and 60s , but young at heart 😊

Already today campervans are being pulled out by tractors it's so bad , and weekend people leaving . Campervans at least are staying dry .

It rained heavily till 5 according to friends there for the weekend but they are hopefully going to have a dry night tonight .

A sea of muck though .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We went with 2 kids in tow in 2019 and had a great time, it was dry all weekend though apart from showers on Saturday morning, and had been dry in the lead up to it too so the ground was nice and firm, no muck.

It's an awful shame the weather was so bad but tbh it seems that the Irish summer is now restricted to late May - mid June.

They were hoping things would be better today but the rain 7:00 - 7:30 or so this evening in SW Dublin was horrific! and would have passed right over the festival site on the way according to Met Eireann weather radar. 😯

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Any word on how yesterday went? Weather seems to have been OK early on but a torrential downpour from 430pm to 5pm in the area. FY Instagram is showing Billy Ocean and Andy Bell from Saturday and Hothouse Flowers from Friday but nothing from yesterday??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

Yesterday was fantastic. There were heavy showers but people were making the most of it.

All the acts were brilliant - great line up.

Glad to hear it.

Really happy to hear it went well so likely won't be pulled next year. I know they were under pressure but they could have handled the announcements better. I had a ticket for yesterday but all throughout Saturday evening I still wasn't sure what was happening on the Sunday for day ticket holders, so I made other plans. Then at 8AM yesterday they announced it was going ahead for everybody. What time did Bananarama finish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭techman1

I think the last few years has been relatively good for outdoor festivals, it's a long time since there has been a washout like this. People were lulled into a false sense of confidence about outdoor festivals in Ireland in fields. Because most of the age groups at this festival were in the 50+ bracket they probably won't chance it again ,they are not as forgiving as 20 somethings mucked to the eyes at Glastonbury

It's been really unfair this year on outdoor gigs. Weather was scorchio May and early June then the rain started bang on cue with Harry Styles at Slane Castle (I got soaked). Got drenched again at Def Leppard / Motley Crue (Joe Elliot was visibly furious and gave out about the weather several times) and then missed yesterday completely!

I left for a bus straight after ABC who finished at 10.30 so I'd guess Bananarama finished around 11.30 ish

I would have missed them so; I had that same bus booked. Everyone raves about them live which is a surprise as they never toured in their heyday. I think 1000GigGuy on Twitter had their performance last year at Forever Young as gig of the year!!

I saw them at Electric Picnic once, they were good.

I'd say they went down well last night, there was a big crowd, the rain was well stopped and they would have had a bag of hits

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Not long back from FY, that was a tough weekend. Was concerned we might struggle to get out today, tractors were towing cars etc. from yesterday. A number of people were leaving yesterday. Never seen conditions as bad. Even yesterday when the weather was supposed to be okish (depending on which weather app you were looking at) we had 3 or 4 massive downpours and 2 bouts of thunder and lightning which led to delays.

Having said that the music was fantastic and the crowd/atmosphere was brilliant especially considering the weather. The atmosphere really is very special, some of the outfits are hilarious. Some brilliant acts (in no particular order), Go West, Tony Hadlee (pure class), Tom Baily, ABC, Bananarama, Billy Ocean, China Crisis, SoulIISoul, Mid Ure and on and on. The only disappointment for me was Andy Bell who should have played more of his 80's stuff (but some people liked him/his set).

Not sure how the event will survive after the weekend (might take a big hit this year)but would be a shame if it didn't survive, and all proceeds go to the ISPCA so a great cause. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I was one of the unlucky ones - in the hotel in Naas, dressed and heading for the bus when we got the text. 250 euro spent on a hotel for nothing so while I feel for the organisers, it did really sting especially as the gig was going on 10 minutes away anyway. Doubt Id buy a ticket again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

lad on the whine line on radio 1 blasting the organisation of the event.

A lot of angry posters on the FY Facebook page. Mainly at the ad hoc decision who to admit and who not on the Saturday, and no updates on Saturday at all re Sunday. It seems very strange that Saturday tickets would suddenly be allowed access on the Sunday alongside Sunday ticketholders if the reason for the Saturday refusals was health and safety. It must have been packed to the rafters in there yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

All proceeds to the ISPCA? All? Hard to believe

Advertisement