Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Surprised she would want to hang around known what was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

She would have to be willing to take the stand therefore not be "unwell" therefore compellable to committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sorry to be pedantic here but Advertising Agencies make ads. Media Buying Agencies buy and sell advertising space. It's usually Media Agencies who arrange sponsorships; but not always, there have in my time been some exceptions.

Now many agencies will do both, but they'll likely be different businesses within a business so to speak, with separate staff, cost centres, billing departments etc. Creating ads is to be fair a very different skillset and process than buying advertising slots.

The staff in some Advertising Agencies in Dublin would consider themselves artists - honestly the sh*te I've heard at pitches and meetings over the years would make Tubridy's "it hasn't changed my soul" comment look like it was coming from a grounded person. These staff would consider the matter of selling advertising space a very grubby matter far beneath their creative personas. One agency even used their own "language, and boast about this in pitches. To call it a language is a stretch, as it's basically a few words they've matched together to create next-level morkeshing-speak for things other agencies just use actual words for. The creative directors in some ad agencies I've net over the years have been amongst the biggest "tossers" I've ever met in my life. To be fair, they're not all like this, but they certainly over-index on the tosser scale. Some love themselves more than Tubs performance last week would indicate how much he admires himself, outside and in.

Specifically referring to the example you've noted above with "How Top Be Good With Money", I don't know the specifics, but I'd imagine it was arranged through an agency.

And bingo, took about 30 seconds of googling - you just have to know where to look:

Link won't work for some reason. There's a 3 page PDF on it.

Type the following into google and you'll get your answers: dentsu ccpc sponsorship

It's the first result under TAM Ireland.

Tom Noonan inventing the internet in Heat. Noonan is a great actor, prob. best known for his role in Michael Mann's Manhunter, highly recommended watch btw.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In fairness to her, though it was in self pity, she did say that she thought her position was untenable at one of the Oireachtas Committees, I half expected her to announce her retirement then and there.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

How would paying it back even work? He’s already paid around half of it in tax. Going through payroll would be doable, I think, but not sure how it works with invoices and the like.

Any payroll/tax nerds know if it’s a simple job?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Thanks I had an FoI in but it was going in the wrong direction.

______

Yesterday

They may not defend him outright, but it would be RTE's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suppose a question here is how much of RTE's annual turnover comes from the state in various forms? I'd include the licence fee as state income as the state mandates the public to pay it. But how much comes through other various channels? Supports for production companies, advertising and promotions by various state agencies.

Then by inference, how much income the commercial side of RTE actually delivers from the private sector?

I took an interest in a particular semi state body this year and on looking at their accounts, it appears that despite that they are supposed to have a commercial mandate, that the bulk of their turnover comes in one way or another from the taxpayer. High 90s in per cent.

That question was asked in radio several times. Between the Solas state sponsorship of Claire Byrne's show and Dept. of Health sponsoring Operating Transformation (all hosted by NK talent btw) and the countless radio and TV advertising by Govt. Agencies it would run into millions annually.

One Media Buying Agency I know of in Dublin's billings are I would guess at least 50% comprised of Govt. Departments or Govt. Spend in one way or another. If they were to lose that they would be in real trouble. And guess what? One of the execs at this company was on the Japan trip.

@ButtersSuki You also need to know what you are looking for, what annoys me is that I regularly go to the TAM Ireland website and completely missed that.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

If its public money its not for RT to decide to whom he will return it, for example to a charity to virtue signal.

The monies should be returned to its rightful owner period. They will chose how to spend it thank you very much.

Also its interesting that he has not paid it back already regardless of this "grey" area.

It shows that his public reputation is worth less than €150k and this scandal rolling on doesn't bother him.

Loads of contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

Its Ryan I am concerned with... he's the one saying he is full of soul and integrity.. playing the public as fools..

But I do not think he is sincere..

I am v interested to know whether or not he will be kept on in RTE..

If I am wrong and I am being too harsh on him, I hold my hand up.... but as it stands, I think he's full of sh*t

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

But Dee Forbes gave him the knife. Ergo...it was The Workers Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Were we told yet who the 6 people were who went to the Champions League Final and stayed 2 nights at a cost to the licence fee payers of 26K?

I think we're entitled to know who's spending our money and on whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd be fairly certain any hope of a return by Tubridy to radio is conditional on him returning the 150k. No more guff about doing Renault gigs and all that.

This is a PR disaster for Tubs. You cannot just allow money rest in your account like that. Even Fr. Ted had to return the money eventually and his punishment was Craggy Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Entertainment like that from the barter account was far in excess of what was necessary, even if the clients were legitimate.

There's a fairly well defined line between entertainment and bribery/corruption.

Valid entertainment, costing no more than 100 euro per client would be about right. But when it gets to several thousand per person, you know something dodgy is afoot. You are now into kickback territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Anyone remember those odd Soviet films that wee on RTÉ 2 of a Friday night in the 80s?

It reads to me as totally disproportionate and over the top spending. €26k? probably have done a great trip for €8k or €9k especially so with public money in a cash strapped situation already. Reckless and a "sure they'll never find out the public dopes".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Would bbdo be the largest agency in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

I don’t really care or read/listen to any RTE apologists at this stage lobbying fir some sort of forgiveness for RTE or even for RT. I don’t care what anyone says really. Facts are facts and people like DF and GO’L were running the place like their own personal fiefdom wasting public money like there was no tomorrow. RT was also part of this by demanding his pay remain constant and engaging in questionable accounting to cover it all up. All this is made worse by DF appearing repeatedly seeking more funds for the organisation and threatening various crises if her demands weren’t met All the while the regular employees saw their pay and conditions severely cut

Honestly anybody believe JBL any pro RTE/RT narrative at this point is an outright fool. It’s not clear even as yet whether theee is any real attempt to improve things. The people who precipitated the crisis have headed for the hills

If things return to ‘normal’ now the pressure is off and 2 years from now RT is back on the air in Montrose then we all really have hard questions to answer I think as a nation.

The accommodation was €26k. The total cost would be considerably higher.

I don't but now that you mention it... A academic from the US who came to Ireland wrote a book about RTÉ TV Drama for their 25th anniversary in 1986, she feature on a TG4 Documentary Reds na hÉireann, often wonder why she got that funding from RTÉ for such a book, I found it to be large a list of programmes rather then a real review.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Joseph Schumpeter

I have a feeling they’re going to give a status quo response like there’s too much red tape and it’s not as easy to fire RT as everyone thinks. This sickens me to think about. If there is red tape it should be cut quickly and thoroughly. To resort to the lazy man’s argument that RTE will keep him on is contempt for the public. Any presenter can be moulded into a public superstar if Tubridy can do it.

The assertions that he brings in advertising revenue is a phoney metric used by people trying to prove his worth when his blatant wooden false charisma and poor questioning and conversational skills in interviews, combined with an all mighty misplaced sense of self by preaching sermons to the public and some public representatives not from within the FF tent, is proof that he is lacking in basic presenting and entertainment skills.

The board and top presenters are not above reprieve in there and should all be replaced like the studios are threatening to do in the Hollywood strike. Dee Forbes and Tubridy threatening legal action is a sign of their massively misplaced delusions of grandeur. It was RTE that made them at the tax payer expense. These people aren’t worth private sector salaries they’re paid by the public. There are thousands of hard workers not threatening action against their employers who are vastly more talented than these clowns in RTE. Replace them and replace them all fast.

@squonk JBL?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And you should not be allowed to buy your way back into a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

RT/NK argument about the €150k invoice being “in abeyance in case Renolt want to have Ryan do the gigs” does not accord with their billing RTE for the money. They’re trying to have their cake and eat it. And they’re succeeding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The former head of Commercial is up to her Oxters in it.

Cynical &*"'+! playing the mental health card and then **** off into the sunset after years of using the slush fund.

I've seen it a million times with these type of auld ones. She will not see any wrongdoing and consider herself a victim in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement