Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I find it hard to believe that Fowler can't get a mangers job in the Championship. He's at nothing managing in the outback in Australia, or the bottom tier in Saudi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Never heard of him so I had a look on transfer market. 3 yellows and a red card in 11 appearances. I admit I don't know the Brazilian football league at all but that's a very stand out stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It be the kind of player under the radar that Liverpool could sign if the journos have been briefed with other names

I think Naby had a few reds before joining us also iirc

Being honest I know feck all about the Brazilian league but we definitely should sign all the Brazilians 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Allison will need a Brazilian buddy now that the rest of them have fecked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Fulham had a £25M offer for him turned down last week. Fluminese are reported to want £35-40M for him to leave in this transfer window.

We haven't had any luck bringing players directly from South America into the first team squad. It would be a massive step up for him, but who knows he could be better than Caicedo who only cost Brighton £5M a couple of years ago and is now valued at £100M. Brighton played a blinder with the way they integrated him, 6 months training with the first team followed by a short loan spell to Belgium and then he was straight into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Terrible helmet posture again! I thought they were professional. Klopp out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mo looks like he’s been chiselled out of a block of granite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What happened? Did someone look at him menacingly? Delighted to be rid of him.

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Bajcetic is 18 year old kid, who is also recovering from injury. No way we can go into a new season with him as our only option at 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Someone will be signed. Personally, I'm delighted to get 40m for Fab.

Spanish publication Nacional claim that Liverpool have ‘asked Barcelona for €12m to close the deal For Thiago’ and now ‘everything depends on Xavi’.

That's no what I responded to, you said you would be happy to get rid of Fab even without a replacement. Obviously it's a completely different argument if we get rid of Fab and get in a suitable replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

40m for Fab is good going given his levels over the last year or so.

It's early days, we have plenty of time before the window closes to get a replacement in, and for Henderson too. There should be some of the ground work done already surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mgt come in handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If we follow up last season by getting rid of Milner, Keita, Ox, Fab, Henderson and Thiago it will be the craziest thing I've ever seen 🙈

Without a doubt.

He's finished at the level we want a DM to be. What's the point of playing a player not up to it?

That's you're opinion on where Fab is at. I only care of what Klopp and his team think and I really don't think Klopp will be a happy man if he's left with an 18 year old as his only defensive midfielder option in 3 weeks!

By all means, take the 40m for Fab if it's on the table, but only if they someone suitable lined up to replace him. 19 year Lavia with 20 senior Premier League games behind is not going to cut it for me either as a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

If we take Salah's quote at the end of the season as a mood within the club, it was a disaster of a season. The result was always going to be a cull. Of that list, the only one I'm surprised about is Henderson going. I have long said here that he should have no more than a cameo role if required (milner 2.0 if you like).

Milner- past his prime. Like him but thanks.

Keita- approaching a disaster. Will go down in the long list of failures we have had over decades.

Ox- truly wish he could have improved but the injury wiped him.

Fab- I can't forgive last seasons strolling around. The talk of him absolutely shattered in pre season training tells me it's time to offload.

Henderson - past his prime and we need prime. Cameo role is all he was getting. I truly admire his pre season attempt to get back in shape and he may well be right but time is against him

Thago - injury/glass man. What surprised me more is his stats for last season vs Henderson. Almost makes a case to keep him but he can't be relied on at all due to injury.

The danger is we could drop out of contention for more than one season and then we will struggle to keep people. That's a different struggle to our current one of replacing an old squad.

Seeing as he's being let go without any fuss, I doubt I'm the only one with that opinion of 'where he is at'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It could be worse, imagine if the club had blown the transfer budget signing Bellingham as originally planned and then all of the senior midfielders departed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You think?

Evidence from the last year or so would suggest all of these are not able to operate at the very top level, for one reason or other (age, injury profile, form)

Gotta be fvckin ruthless.

Still crazy though. In 30yrs we've never had that much turnover, I can't think of any team who has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Our midfield got completely outplayed last season, I expected a cull, but getting rid of every senior midfielder would be a serious shock . Maybe it's what is needed, total rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Whatever way it pans out, there's no denying it's exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I'd actually be quite happy to replace Fab with a starting quality midfield and a young CB thar can compete VVD when his form drops.

Sure is!

My gut feel is that it means this season might be a struggle, but hopefully the season after we'll be clicking for a few seasons. Obviously I hope I'm wrong about this season though!

Just looking at little Twitter clips, Szobo seems to be flying it in preseason training, looks a real ball of energy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

There's ruthless and then there is stupidity, we are sprinting full speed towards the stupidity side of things at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We've lost 4 midfielders from last season, ( Milner, Ox, Keita & Arthur), but, only Milner made any meaningful contribution last season, his leadership, flexibility and versatility will be missed. Fabinho looks like he's gone, as it stands, on paper our two new signings although not direct replacements should cover for all 5( including fab) that are leaving. Personally I think its vital we sign a DM in order to be in a better place than last season. If Henderson goes too, we will actually be in a much worse off position, while his on field influence is in decline his off field influence is huge.

I'd hope that Jones will play a bigger part to help fill some of the void left by departures. I have no problem letting Fabinho (and Henderson) go, but, they need to be replaced properly with players ready to step into the first team, not, with young players with potential, but, with next to no experience at the top level. Will be interesting to see who leaves and if/who we replace them with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The club so far has been avoiding a mistake many clubs make in keeping a lot of ex players around as staff in various roles , it's not a good strategy, for every player that is kept around for nostalgic reasons a future star ,or many of them depending on salaries are not being hired,we can't get attached,it has consequences,as said earlier fabinho was left go without a fight, that indicates that klopp etc thought it was for the best, fabinho thought it was for the best,it suits everyone.

If Henderson goes it will be because the people who know alot more, have all the fitness data etc think it's for the best. Trust klopp and his team to make the decisions, enjoy the prospect of a revitalized midfield, the ups and downs,I told you so etc , fabinho will be replaced, whether with a longer-term option or a shorter term one till bajetic grows into it,or the main target becomes available, trust that there is a longer term plan in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is it?

Having a quality squad filled with world class players is exciting. Having young players and a group as a whole that can’t win isn’t terribly exciting tbh.

What's exciting is how we'll fill the gaps. And, to be honest, I don't think Henderson, Fabinho or Thiago have been world class for a while, certainly not if last year was anything to go by.

Selling Alonso, Suarez, Torres etc was more gut wrenching because they were entering or hitting their peak. Sure, we didn't sell them all in the same window but this rebuild is overdue and waiting to see who we have lined up to replace them all is fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ornstein saying Colwil is asking to leave Chelsea after speaking with Poch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The team was utterly broken last season, midfield non existent and the only highlights were the younger players like Bajcetic and Jones. Our squad that won everything was built on younger players, why not do it again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah your right, the link to the Athletic fooled me.

Joao Palhinha getting linked now. 40 games for Fulham last season.

Is he Liverpool level though

WH have bid 40 for him, paying with Rice Funds

Our squad wasn't built on young players when we won everything. It was built on players in their mid to late 20s with one of two exceptions, mainly Trent.

• Advertisement

Klopp and the people who know a lot more told us all this tine last season that our midfield was fine and didn't need any improving. We all know how that worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How quickly we forget

I’d say when they were all on the cusp of completing football a mere 14 months ago they were world class.

I bought into the idea of adding some younger dynamic players to our mix of proven experience. Instead we are set to jettison nearly all of our winners for young project players. This is a massive regressive step.

I can accept May 2022 as the high point for a while to come, that’s fine. But the suggestion that the last week is “exciting” is frankly bananas. This will be a long rebuild, and we’ve done loads of these over the years. Exciting they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I think letting most of a stale midfield leave and replacing it with new faces is exciting. Thinking it is exciting is not the same as assuming only success will come from it. I would not be excited nor would I be expecting success if 2 of Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho were to start most games next season.

Fabinho's decline was sad to see, and unexpected. He may still come back to play really well. Turning down 40M would be a massive gamble on that though.

Henderson is 33. His game is built on athleticism. He might still be a useful squad player but he's no longer the absolute monster he was at his best.

We've had an incredible team for the past few years but it is time for a midfield rebuild now - buying Thiago was a mistake in hindsight IMO. Lovely player but it was an opportunity to add legs to the team. I'm excited to see Mac Allister and Szoboslai and how the club tries to replace Fabinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They learned from the mistake,it seems you would be happier if they didn't.

Ultimately the mistake they made was assembling a a squad that wasnt good enough yo compete for a league title, the jury is very mich still out on whether they learnt from their mistake on that one.

Only time will tell if they really have learnt from their mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Five out and three in was always going to be a delicate balancing act.

Now we are looking at potential 7 out and still only have 2 in.

Even if we replace the bodies, there is a massive ask for them all to gel.

We have to get back into the CL at an absolute minimum. We can't afford another season out of it.

While I agree a change is needed, stating our squad that won everything was built on young players is not really the case, If we go back to the 18/19 season when it all began to click. 2nd in the league with 97 points (that still hurts) and won the UCL and then going on to win the league the following season. Trent, Gomez a Robbo were the only players u25 and Robbo turned 25 that season. Ali and Fab were 25, Virgil and Winjadium 27, Hendo 28, Milner 32 and actually all of the front 3 were the same age at 26! These guys were in their prime and at the peak of their powers. Now the likes of Bajcetic and Lavia, if we go for him have obvious potential, but are miles away from the experience and physicality required to play in a Liverpool midfield under Klopp week in week out. By all means accept the 40m on offer for Fab as that’s a good deal, but if we are expecting the youth to fill his boots in the long term, then we’re in for a rough few years before any of those mentioned are up to the standard required.

Five out and 3 in is fine, as 3 of the 5 contributed virtually nothing last season (Keita, Ox & Arthur 🤣). Plus Jones playing more and the likes of Bajcetic and possibly Morton would account for Milner's contribution. So Mac Allister and Sobo actually make us stronger, and offset Fabinho somewhat, if Henderson and/or Thiago go ( I presume they make up the 7, personally don't see both going), we would definitely need another midfielder, preferably a DM, I think we need a DM even if both Henderson and Thiago stay. If we do sign a DM who can play in the first team straight away, then I wouldn't mind both Henderson and Thiago leaving. Without Henderson and Thiago that would leave us with;

Mac Allister, Sobo, new DM, Jones, Elliott, Bajcetic and Morton with Trent also an option. I think one of Henderson or Thiago will stay ( possibly both), a DM is likely to be the only additional midfield signing. We also need to sign a defender who can ideally cover CB and RB.

It isn't about forgetting. It's about recognising what you see and what the underlying figures tell us. Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago contributed little last season, Henderson probably the best of the 3 and he's 32.

The Saudis are offering big money to take Fabinho off our hands, more than what he's worth if reports are to be believed. We'll probably get a fee for Henderson too. Thiago seems to miss more than he plays these days. None of them are physically up to a long PL season so why not cash in why we can?

We were overrun repeatedly last season, especially away from home. I'm not remotely suggesting that Lavia stem that tide on his own but with Szobo and MacAllister already on board, In pretty certain we won't be letting players go without having zoned in on their replacements. It may go tits up, sure, but isn't that itself more exciting than watching the dross served up for the majority of last season? It's a yes for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement