Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ff16 is an interesting one.

According to Yoshida, it was SE that decided to make it a PS5 exclusive after meeting with all platforms, due to the shorter development time and the assistance they got from Sony during development - presumably optimisation, which is something that is allegedly delaying the PC port.

There was a rumour that SEs decision to not develop for Xbox was due to the requirement of having a version on the series S, which they felt would be a significant cost in getting it to run acceptably on(could be complete nonsense though). But it kind of makes sense to me, there doesn’t seem to be much tools support, even in-house.

Im all for stopping timed exclusives, but MS series S requirements might cause them some headaches with third parties, particularly as we go further in to this console generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

From what I heard Square demanded to be paid to bring FF VII Remake to Xbox and Microsoft refused.

If true it's a bit rich of a developer to look for a payment from a platform holder to port a game that would already be a year old by the time they'd be allowed to release it.

Square have released 8 games on Xbox since the launch of the Series as opposed to 34 for PlayStation in the same timeframe, this is counting cross generation games as 1 release and not per platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you never heard of contracts and how Microsoft are nit above contract law? They have signed contracts with other platforms to provide Activision games for 10 years. They can’t get out of it and it would also not be in their interest to do so. Either way having the likes of COD on Game Pass is going to be good and force the likes of Sony to up their game so I fail to see how that is a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How would they have signed contacts when the deal hasn't gone through yet? They are promising to keep certain games on platforms for 10 years but they can easily renege on that when the deal goes through. They have priors on reneging on promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I know that is said a lot, but what other promises have they reneged on? Is there a lot of them?

Post edited by TheRona on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no doubt they'll allow CoD on PS. There could definitely be other ways MS try to make Xbox the preferred platform for it; earlier access to content, exclusive maps/guns etc. Sony have also stated that they would be less likely to share details of their consoles (particularly their next console when the time comes) to allow for development of the games because they'd be giving their competitor huge details about their specs/design.

It's the smaller franchises that will likely disappear completely from PS. Activision have a big library of franchises that have always been on PS consoles, began on PS consoles etc. Now they're likely gone from PS for good. That said, considering it's Activision, and considering MS will have to generate additional revenue from the games since they'll be free on Gamepass, I'm guessing most of the games will be monetised to sh*t.

Take Crash Bandicoot for example. Simplest f*cking franchise to make games out of, simple platformer, nothing special. The remake of Crash Team Racing ended up having battle pass and monetisation stuff added in after a month (so as to not affect reviews of the game), and now the Crash franchise is being used for a weird 4v4 multiplayer game which, again, will have battle pass and monetisation stuff. The blame for that obviously lies with Activision, but I can't see MS changing it too much either as their games need to generate additional revenue since they're Day 1 gamepass releases.

The biggest example would probably be trying to still bundle Internet Explorer with Windows after they're infamous antitrust case which resulted in a fine by the EU of hundreds of millions of euros. They tried to blame it on a technical error which was patently horse manure. There are hundreds of instances of them reneging on promises and anticompetitive behavior if you want to Google it.

Just for the record, Sony are a bunch of pricks as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's very simple really, the contracts essentially says that in the event of this acquisition going through, these terms come into effect. It's not out of the ordinary in terms of contracts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Except in that case, they went to the EU themselves and self reported, so it's not like they were trying to hide it. In recent years, MS has become the poster boy for complying with regulators, which has earned them a very positive reputation with those regulators. They're facing more trouble now though, with MS Teams, of all things, so it's not to say that they're perfect or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Emmm yeah and have you heard that companies breach contacts because they can simply afford it. And bear in mind, those contracts could have any number of carve outs, termination clauses or caveats.

And even if they don't breach it, they can churn out shïtty versions just to fulfil a contract. Ever play FIFA on Nintendo Switch?

And what about after ten years? Nothing stopping Microsoft saying "nah, all ours now". Don't forget, the European Union fined Microsoft half a billion euro in 2002 for abusing its near monopoly.

I wouldn't trust Microsoft as far as I could throw them. And nor would I with Sony or Nintendo in this situation. They are a corporation looking to make as much money as possible, not be best mates to everyone in the industry.

Industry consolidation of this scale is never good, in any industry, it radically undermines consumer and worker power.

• Advertisement

They knew exactly what they were doing bundling Teams with Office in an attempt to crush the competition. It was just a less overt copy of what they did with their bundling of Internet Explorer.

Poster boys for complying with regulators? What a load of nonsense.

They were fined 60m in the last year over advertising cookies. They were fined in 2019 for improper payments that were used to bribe government officials in Hungary and other countries. Last month, they were ordered to pay a $20 million FTC fine over collecting personal information on Xbox players younger than 13 and not properly informing parents.

And listen, plenty of corporates have eaten fines for plenty of issues so Microsoft are absolutely not alone here but give me a break about them being poster boys for good behaviour and having a "good reputation".

I can't find anything to back up your assertion that they self reported but if they did, it was because competitors had already complained about the breach and they knew what was coming. If MS have become the poster boys for complying with regulators why have they paid the EU over 2 billion for breaches of anti competition rules in the last decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is neither here nor there, but the way Teams forces itself to become an automatic start up app every time I open it - which is only a few times a year - is one of the most annoying features of modern Windows. I turn it off every time, and yet whenever I have to take a call on Teams… next boot up the little fecker starts prodding for a login.

Sorry, rant needed 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's **** garbage software as well. Seems every job I go to makes a switch at some point to teams from far superior software because the moron stakeholders just see it as cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Windows is now spamware.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On third-party exclusives, I think there’s always going to be some ‘naturally’. FFXVI aside, it’s likely a lot of Japanese developers will gravitate towards PS and Switch because the machines are more popular in Japan and the company culture is more tied to Nintendo and Sony. Microsoft has to their credit tried here in the past - and currently with their strong relationship with Sega (dumb marketing deals aside) - but it never quite sticks, so a lot of mid-tier Japanese games skip Xbox.

On the other hand, Microsoft had a great relationship with indies for a long time - perhaps diminished since the glory days of the 360 era, but the Xbox was the natural home for indie games who mightn’t have had the budget or resources for an immediate multi-format release. Deals were involved too I’m sure, but again that was nurturing and encouraging small third party developers so I’d always be a bit more forgiving there when it comes to (temporary) exclusivity.

It becomes a lot less forgivable when it’s a big publisher with the resources for a multi-platform release, and the only reason there isn’t one is because of a financial transaction. I will say, the idea that Starfield wouldn’t be launching in September if they had to ship on PS5 too struck me as particularly disingenuous bullshit.

Yeah, same as Final Fantasy, I just don't believe that a load of money didn't change hands to make it PS5 exclusive. Square Enix have history with coming up with excuses for exclusivity, it happened with the second recent Tomb Raider, saying that they couldn't have made it without the support that MS gave them, total bull in my opinion.

Apologies, they actually self reported on a different one. Check the fines on those breaches though, the EU reduced them because MS cooperated so well, which is what I meant. MS has cultivated a reputation as being regulator friendly, which has definitely benefited them, and has actually helped them to fight Apple, Amazon and Google, with rules made that affect those three, but not MS.

There's a question now about how they're going to maintain it, as there's a bunch of investigations being launched into both Teams bundling, and Onedrive as well, deservedly so, but there's no question about whether MS has a regulator friendly reputation for the last ten years or so. You can just google it as well, plenty of articles about their strategy, and now plenty about how it might be ending.

I'm sorry but that's just not true to claim that they're regulator friendly because they cooperate. Cooperating when a regulator is investigating you or bringing an action against you is a business decision to reduce or mitigate the eventual punishment. Even our own financial regulator (the CBI) reduces fines by 30% for cooperation with their settlement process, it doesn't make you regulator friendly in their eyes.

Being "regulator friendly" is not being fined by regulators and not appearing on their radar in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing it won't be on plus like was previously offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I'd say it'll turn up on Extra as opposed to older games being on Essential considering the recent glut of Bethesda games on Extra recently.

See the restored BlOps 1 servers on 360 got over 100,000 concurrent players over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You’re making the same arguments that Sony and the FTC said in court last week and it was a completely flawed point and just torn apart by the judge and MS lawyers. It just wouldn’t make sense for MS to renege on deals as COD is such a cash cow.

The big plus for Xbox is that it will be on Gamepass whilst available to buy on other platforms.

Anybody who has followed this case over the last 18 months would know how clear Phil Spencer and MS have been about this and also how poor the regulators are arguments are. This deal is supported by developers and publishers who believe it will increase competition and make Activision game will available to more gamers and more platforms than present.

They’ll be available to the same people they’re currently available to, for the time being at least.

CoD is a only part of it and it suits MS to keep it on PlayStation for the time being, it would diminish its value to cut a large part of its player base off pretty quickly. The other Activision games don’t seem to be under any such agreement, so I would imagine future Diablo games will be exclusive, and therefore available to less people.

It will be interesting to see the difference of performance between new CoD titles on both platforms going forward. I don’t expect MS to deliberately make the PlayStation version worse, but I would think it will make Sony less open to working with them on development.

And are other developers and publishers championing this deal? I haven’t seen any comments about it, and I don’t see how this deal helps them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

where it will be interesting will be the first CoD title for the PS6 or next Xbox version. Sony have said they won't share console dev information with MS, so they will be unable to develop for the PS6 until it is fully announced or possibly even available; so at best I would assume PS6 could get a PC Port (delayed, most likely) while the developers would be able to specifically develop for the abilities of the next Xbox. So whatever fancy bells and whistles you could have on the PS6 version, won't be there. The haptic triggers on the PS5 for example, couldn't have had those for Cod on PS5 if this deal had gone through before that generation.

As for being available to the same people - MS have signed Cloud gaming deals with loads of companies, so it will be available for players of those ecosystems where previously it was not, as well as bringing it to Switch, whatever the hell that will be or looks like.

I just don't see this as a major problem, to be honest, the consoles are so similar in architecture these days, with both being very similar to x86 PCs anyway. First generation games don't take advantage of the hardware anyway, and even now I'd struggle to tell you what games I think could only be made on PS5 or Series X/S.

The controller is fair enough, but I somehow doubt that it'd take months of work to implement it in a game.

Could be sooner than that if the rumoured PS5 Pro is real. While not a generational jump I would have expected it to take advantage of the extra specs before the merger, now at most I would say it will be a similar experience to Xbox.

From Sonys perspective, Microsoft owning the rights to their biggest earner probably makes them uncomfortable, so it’ll be interesting to see how they react. 10 years gives them some breathing space - will they look to foster a relationship with a CoD rival such as Battlefield? Or look to create one themselves(Bungie seems the likeliest studio to head that).

Regardiess, it’s easier said than done to get people to stop playing CoD. The community seems to constantly complain about the games but plays them regardless, because that what their friends play. That’s only likely to change I think if there’s a serious drop in quality multiple years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bungie has been VERY vocal about not wanting to be console exclusive; letting their players play whereever being a large part of their mantra, and explicitly called out as remaining in place after the purchase, and a focus of negotiation during the purchase. Of course Sony might be able to force them, or they may willingly go back on their word, but as it stands it would be unexpected for Bungie to lead up a console exclusive FPS COD competitor.

Oh don’t get me wrong - I think if Sony wanted to create a game to rival CoD, it would be multiplatform. If you’re trying to compete with CoD it would need to be cross play across PS/Xbox/PC to get the required player base anyway, otherwise it will remain relatively niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm sure Sony's deal signed with MS yesterday would also allow for COD devs to use PS dev kits.

If it doesn't it's only Sony's arrogance that will lead to the PS versions being worse.

There is no reason that an affiliate can't be trusted to make a game run on dev kits from a competitor while under NDA about specs etc.

It's like a team in Google making an Android and iOS app for an upcoming product.

These type of understandings exist in companies. I've seen it many time in telecomms, it's nothing new.

Advertisement