Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

On this thread, over the last couple of days people were asking for definitive proof that the climate problem exists. We saw the same thing on here how people get blinded by their hatred of something on the Greta thread where people spent months undermining entirely the justification for her position because they were so put out at the attention she was getting for her messaging.

And here, (human impact is not up for debate by the way) people again are vehemently against any idea of action that they might be subjected to and use a myriad of excuses to argue against these actions being implemented. Everything from, there isn't an issue (which I'm not saying you personally have done) to there's no point us doing anything (as you are doing) and the end result being that time passes with increasing emissions and the problem grows.

And you, as many others, including the person who started the thread point the finger at Green policies while simultaneously acknowledging that there is a problem. Absolutely Ireland is a small player on the Global stage in comparison to some countries, but on a per capita basis across the world, we still create more than our share of emissions. And when it comes to getting the big countries to act, the only thing that comes anywhere close is collective agreement such as with the Paris agreement. The premise of that agreement is that signatories commit to reducing emissions. Ireland signed up to that, a Fine Gael led, Fianna Fail supported Government acted on our behalf, and since then, all we've seen is fingers being pointed at the 'Greens' for even the suggestion of something to help us towards achieving something, that we committed to achieving. Tell me, how come there isn't a thread asking why FG/FF have failed in their commitment? I'm sick of people saying here's why we shouldn't do anything, instead of here's what we could do as it allows everyone to point the finger at everyone else and so the problem not only persists, but grows.

So, do you think Ireland were wrong to sign up to an international agreement to help tackle climate change that you seem to agree is happening? And if you don't think Ireland was wrong to do this, what do you, or anyone else on here who thinks similarly to you, think national policy should be to help achieve the emission reduction targets we committed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

I do actually think out politicians were misguided in signing the Paris agreement. The idea that we compel our farmers to cull their herds, while South American countries will destroy huge areas of forest to fill the void left by our reduction in exports of food all because other politicians signed up to trade deals.

The whole thing is nuts and short sighted, and being driven by big buisness. Follow the money and you'll see who is driving the current agenda. Want to know how we reduce our negative impacts on the world. Stop needless consumerism where we are led to believe we must have cheap tat, with limited lifespans shipped half way around the world only to end up in landfill.

Report on BBC today, about confiscated vapes due to not meeting health standards, disposable items made from plastic each with their own battery. If the politicians were serious about the environment they'd start by reducing the amount of waste we inport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

100% correct. The disposability of pure shite is whats killing the environment. Plastics and man made fibres that feed into a 'Penneys' mindset for so many consumer goods and foodstuffs must end.

And its not as if we don't know how to manage our lives with long-life materials and upgradeable technology, we did it for many centuries.

Ireland's commitments to the Paris Agreement and other deals, concerning agriculture and some other minor stuff , have hamstrung our need to focus on the most effective priorities for ourselves, such as:

1) Massive investment in renewable indigenous energy. Never again should this Country be affected by external energy markets that drive up our inflation like this.

2) Waste management, beginning with avoiding inevitable waste, at source. We can and should be an exemplar for long-life and reuse.

3) Retrofitting buildings, on a mass scale, to make them as passive as possible and in the same breath turning thousands of tired old commercial spaces in modern, comfortable and safe homes.

4) Public transport - not pissing about with cycling and pedestrianisation, but putting in fast, cheap, frequent, reliable and safe mass transit in and between our big cities and towns, to make the car an inferior option in terms of both time and cost. Because you simply wont take cars off the road until that happens.

And if you want to look at the blame for the intransigence on that issue, point your finger at the State. Want to know how much new light and heavy rail is under construction in the State at this very moment? None. Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Public transport works if we are prepared to build higher but not if we all want our 4 bed semi with garden, given our growing population which is made worse by our open door immigration policy.

It also assumes that everyone works near the stations - not really sure that applies anymore, with the growth of suburban offices and out of town complexes, both retail and office.

I really don't know how to square the circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I do actually think out politicians were misguided in signing the Paris agreement. The idea that we compel our farmers to cull their herds, while South American countries will destroy huge areas of forest to fill the void left by our reduction in exports of food all because other politicians signed up to trade deals.

Except the Paris Accord didn't say that Ireland was going compel farmers to cull their herds. Or what South African was going to do as a consequence.

And the Irish Dairy herd grew 40% in the 10 years up to 2022 (according to the farmers journal). It's a bit rich to be complaining about big business and consumerism when the industry you are saying has been unfairly targeted has grown in this way, and has grown largely because of big business and consumerism.

But you and I are on the same page when it comes to needless consumer tat. And I would go further, planned obsolescence of goods, fast fashion etc are all massive problems. I'm just frustrated to see the target of peoples ire when it comes to the climate predominantly aimed at those actually advocating that 'something' is done and giving a pass to those who are doing nothing.

I'll give another example of needless waste, I have an ebike, something i didn't know at the time, but you can't service the motor, none of the sensors or parts are replaceable. Instead, if a sensors causes a fault, the motor has to be swapped out and more than likely ends up in landfill and a new one installed, all well and good if its in warranty but not exactly sustainable and this is from a big manufacturer.

This scenario should never have been allowed by the regulators, the supposed future of personal travel and its wasteful with no thought for the future or the environment.

But in your point about about the diary herd growing, you can't really compare the buisness of providing food to that of the consumerism of selling things we don't necessarily need.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You really do need to make an attempt to read what is posted.

I didn`t say it was impossible. I said if you use dodgy accountancy an thing is possible, and I haven`t seen anything from you that disputes that the ASAI found the 100% claim nothing other than a accountancy scam and told those companies to stop advertising and claiming it was anything other than that.

Neither have I seen anything from you to counter the assertions by green advocacy groups that classifying biomass as carbon neutral is far from the reality based on their findings regarding Drax.

But you appear to have no problem believing it is, so can I take it you would be in favour of us importing more of this biomass from Brazil and use it to the level where we would not just hit those 2030 CO2 reduction targets, but those of 2050 as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is all hand waving.

EU emissions are falling in line with the 2030 goals. No amount of nitpicking by you with specific, narrow aspects of EU energy policy will change that. Bit you won’t accept it and you won’t give any reason for this other than ‘it’s a scam’ and ‘they made a mistake in relation to X so it must all be wrong.’

I acknowledge your views on DRAX, the ASAI and so on and they are no doubt very interesting. But they bear no relevance to the point above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Immigration has basically nothing to do with it. Its a red herring.

We had a housing and planning crisis before net inward migration ballooned and before the invasion of Ukraine and we'll probably have one after migration returns to normal.

It is a policy driven issue, a failure to lead, innovate and legislate sound and sustainable practice.

In case you hadn't noticed, the four bed semi in a dying breed, at least in Dublin and Cork. Residential buildings of ~20 storeys are springing up all over Dublin, inside the M50 - with lots more in the pipeline. Near the stations and the bus routes.

But you raise a good point, there is no reason families with a desire for space and land shouldn't live in the regions and rural places, but they will need state of the art communications to continue to work and be educated. Another investment that needs taking more seriously.

• Advertisement

Half a billion of investment going into Rosslare to set it up for offshore wind development, bout dang time! The sooner they get started on the development work the sooner we can get those turbines generating

While its great that the harbour gets the investment for the wind farms, the man doesn't understand transport and logistics if he thinks the Ballina to Rosslare trainline will decarbonise transport to all the businesses along the route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Talk about a complete simpleton. That rail line is of no use whatsoever to renewable energy deployment or Rosslare port itself. There’s a perfectly functioning rail connected container port on the exact same line that requires no further investment to operate or a new Barrow Bridge.

The man is as disconnected from reality on this matter as Campile is from Waterford by rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

No problems here.

It`s not my view on Drax or on biomass as a major contributor to CO2 emissions rather than a neutral contributor.

It`s the view of green advocacy groups that it is a major contributor and should not be in the E.U. carbon neutral accountancy column where it is credted with supplying 60% of E.U. green energy.

But then you know that yourself. Otherwise why again avoid answering the question if you would have no problem with us importing more of this carbon neutral biomass from Brasil to ensure that our green electricity accountancy column would easily hit E.U. 2030 targets. It would certainly be much cheaper than this €200 Bn offshore plan.

The ASAI showed that these E.U. Guarantee of Origin certificates are no guarantee of anthing. Something the E.U. has been well aware of long before the ASAI judgement, yet have done nothing about rectifying.

I would agree with a lot of what you say, but I would find it difficult not to see farmers annoyance and frustration with the E.U.

Just a few years ago the milk quota rule was dropped because the E.U. reasoned farmers were being unfairly disadvantaged by it in the global market but is now doing a complete about turn when that market is projected to grow even further where they see others increasing their herds to fill that demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was in Tesco today behind a lady paying for her shopping. She hadn't much in the basket. Anyway, she complained to the check out girl that Tesco haven't reduced their milk enough yet, and it's too expensive. I tut tutted in my mind. Then she paid €20 for a phone charger cable. Just the cable now. No phone, or plug. Just the USB cable. The check out girl said they were dear but my milk complaining lady said it's only €20 and she wanted a spare cable in case the one she has gives up. It's this nonsense that drives waste and spending money on plastic tat for no reason at all

Penny wise, pound foolish.

More waffle. You will talk about anything except the subject at hand, this fact:

EU emissions are falling in line with the original Paris commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ginger22

In case you missed it the title of this thread is "green policies are destroying this country". It not about emissions, its about the greens destroying out economy.

• Advertisement

The thread has been going on for years. The lights have not gone out. The economy has not been destroyed and in fact is going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are you having a laugh?

The fall in GDP has a lot to do with the global pharmaceutical industry to which GDP is heavily exposed and just about nothing to do with the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Like we can't blame the greens for th pharma drop, likewise we can't give them credit for the booming economy. What we can say is that very little of what the GP want or do will be a net benefit to the economy

Perhaps we can rename the thread?

For someone that mentions waffle a lot you certainly do a lot of it attempting to avoid answering any questions put to you.

Far as you are concerned under E.U. emissions bookkeeping biomass which provides 60% of E.U. green energy is carbon neutra,l yet you keep refusing to answer if you are in favor or not of Ireland importing more of this carbon neutral biomass that would have us hitting those E.U. target easily as well as have us generating 100% green electricity if we burned enough of it.

That would be much cheaper than this €200 Bn offshore plan, so why do you keep refusing to answer the question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You must be one of the most inconsistent posters on this thread.

First you claim the economy is not being destroyed and is in fact going strong. This is incorrect and was pointed out to you and then you think that I'm having a laugh? Well that bit is technically true, but it's a laugh at your expense. Typical green approach, only sees what they want to see and everything is grand (if you ignore certain key sectors like pharma or energy or anything else we rely on). As Roosterman says, anything good in the economy is thanks to everyone else. Anything with dubious or indeed negative benefits and there's more than a chance that the greens are involved.

Like Charlie14, I'd love to hear your answer on the biomass question. I'd go a step further and ask where the magic biomass will come from? By my calculations, it'll take quite a bit of our arable land available and leave very little room for food production or precious solar arrays. But I guess all isn't lost, we can supplement it with plant matter from the rainforests and that'll help clear space for meat production down there too. A green Utopia.

@Charlie14 is the advocate for biomass in this thread so it would be better to address your (important) questions to him. This is the first paragraph in which I have used the word ‘biomass’ in this thread as far as I know).

I’m glad everyone has accepted that EU emissions are falling in line with Paris commitments.

can you provide references to three serious economic commentators (other than your good self) who attribute the contraction in GDP to Green Party policies?

Glad too that we can all accept that the economy has not been ‘destroyed’.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In some good news on the greens front, these crazy yokes have decided to not have children until the climate is "fixed".

The less crazy people that are having babies the better IMO. Win, win, all round.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Where did you get the idea from that I was advocating biomass ?

But you are correct on it being first time you have used the word biomass. But that has been because you have been avoiding answering any questions put to you on it like the plague.

You have been saying that the E.U. will hit it`s emissions targets for 2030 with no problem. I have just been pointing out to you that 60% of E.U. green energy is from biomass. A source the E.U. classify as carbon neutral, but which green advocacy groups say is very far from the truth and that it is a major emitter of CO2.

As you believe the E.U. will hit those targets without any trouble, then you must believe that biomass is carbon neutral and those groups are wrong. So why so reticent on the question of you agreeing or not that we should be using much more of this source which would also see us reaching those targets, and could easily have us generating our electricity, that based on E.U. accountancy, would be 100% green ?

Advertisement