Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She really has some neck when you think about. Wasting our money and constantly demanding more from Govt. I'd say RTE is still full of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

If every thief who robbed something could return it to the shop if they were caught and get a 'well done' pat on the back for being so honest, wouldn't that be the same as them letting Tubridy back for returning the booty, it just cannot happen and expect us all to have respect for the national broadcaster going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yeah it's absolutely fooking disgusting.

I said it before and I will say it again, when I see tax waste, I think of the children with scoliosis waiting 5 years to see consultants. All because taxpayer money is mismanaged so badly. Mismanaged spending of taxpayer money is not a victimless crime. Every single cent wasted could be utilised elsewhere to make our society better. That's the level it needs to be tracked at.

Although this is not mismanaged - this is a heist on the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’d say her social diary, restaurant bookings, hotel stays, expense submissions, frequent flyer points etc. would make for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If I was Forbes I would have the doctor's 'repeat prescription' ready to wave at people if challenged.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

So what are we at today? Based on a quick glance at papers in shop the great head of commercial spent 26k on a hotel for a night

the 1.6b she claimed might look small by the time we finish up with the expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

I've been watching Frasier on the RTE player first season with his Agent Bebe Glazer brilliant stuff.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

I assume she has left the country temporarily?

In a cost of living/housing crisis how could you walk down the street not to mention 12,000 homeless.

In France they would hang you off a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

RT was asked during the PAC who would he return the money too, and as he was answering Astus, he was corrected by his solicitor and was told he would return it to RTE directly.

"Recently retired RTÉ head of commercial, Geraldine O’Leary, flew to the Spanish capital with four clients and the broadcaster’s head of sales to attend the match between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. The group stayed in the four-star Pestana Mayor Plaza Hotel in Madrid, where rooms yesterday cost as little as €200. However, the broadcaster’s Astus barter account shows it paid €26,576.94 to stay in the hotel.

This works out at €2,214 per night per person. The hotel was opened just a few weeks before the RTÉ delegation arrived for the Champions League Final which saw Liverpool beat Spurs 2-0 on June 1, 2019.

Flights from Dublin to Madrid for the group came to €2,806. “The four advertisers who accompanied RTÉ on the trip were collectively responsible for a spend of €8m with RTÉ in the previous year,” the spokesperson added. A few months later in September, Ms O’Leary clocked up a more than €111,000 flying four clients and RTÉ’s head of sales to the Rugby World Cup in Japan."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Aye....Id be expecting more than room service and a reacharound for that!

Genuine questions:

Why did GOL need to corporate entertain at all or even at €26k for just bed and breakfast?

Where else were they going to spend the €8m ad budget? At TV3?

I mentioned this some time back. I spent some time living in France when I was younger. There would be riots on the streets of Paris if this kind of stuff happened with a state-funded organization. We’re far too placid, accepting, and forgiving in this country.

They’re not perfect by any means, but sometimes I just wish we were more like the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@ButtersSuki while boards is largely now more tame than it was back in the 2000s do you know from your knowledge of the people in RTÉ are they aware of boards.ie and do they follow the threads about RTÉ? or did they ever?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I bought the box set on dvd years ago but have never watched a single episode. Is it worth a look? How has it aged?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Maybe some dodgy receipt for the expenses claim and old Geraldine might have been filling her pockets!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Where else were they going to spend the €8m ad budget? At TV3?

I have been wondering the same thing tbh.

I understand corporate hospitality, but this was just crazy stuff.

Is it the same line of thinking as having to pay what passes for 'talent' (Tubridy, Duffy, Darcy etc) eye-watering salaries so that they wouldn't walk out. 🙄

• Advertisement

Some are aware for sure; but it's either ignored, or dismissed as being full of cranks and begrudgers etc. - that wouldn't be too far removed from some people in there's views on media in Ireland as whole. Some are blissfuly unaware, as they are to any and all criticism.

The thing I find is that RTE are as a whole very much detached from reality re. other media. There's an arrogance there where almost all TV and Radio competition is dismissed as being irrelevant.

Look at their forays into digital and how much of a disaster the player is for example, yet RTE still defend it. And then look at how they almost bought joe.ie for eleventeen billion dollars - I bet the boys in joe.ie regret not doing a deal there now in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Fanirish

That argument is that in a competitive advert market across uk and ireland and more importantly the mix of advert opportunities I.E insurance company May have new campaign that it plans to launch across tv, internet, papers, billboards, buses, radio. The determination of the % of budget to each type is where media orgs have to apply pressure as they want a bigger TV advert pie for each campaign.

so not a binary of choice of rte versus virgin with advert budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have we any idea what the name of this hotel is? I'd love to google their rates as I find it hard to see how they could spend 26K. There's obviously more than this than meets the eye. That works out at over 2K each per night. Taking us for fools is an understatement.

If say media agency has €50m advertising/sponsorship budget for 2023 rte is trying to convince media agency who handles that account to increase spend on tv/radio to greater %.

if media agency was planning to spend 20% on local tv/radio but RTE bringing media agency to champions league final sways them to increase it to 25% of which RTE grabs majority slice then its increased tv/radio spend by €2.5m for a relatively low cost.

that’s essentially the argument that RTE says when it uses the figures of advertising spend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Having followed this thread and watched some of the committee stuff I can’t help coming around to the opinion that there was widespread criminality carried out in RTEs management group.

I think most employees will get away with what they can within absolute reason. I’m talking about small stuff like being 5 minutes late back after munch, heading away a quarter of an hour early the odd Friday. Taking a nice pen home. If you do it often enough you might get a slap on the hand if it gets noticed but nobody is seriously inconvenienced.

In RTE though there is a culture of top people creaming the place for all they can get. Elaborate Junkets, early retirement packages, questionable payments to ‘top talent’, funding of non commercially viable vanity projects.

Being late a few times too often might get you fired in the private sector. I can’t fathom how openly stealing from your employer as well as dragging their name down shouldn’t be dealt with in the swiftest, most serious manner. I’m at a loss for words really. People have argued over the finer points over and over but in a substantive sense, RTE, and by extension, we as taxpayers have been robbed. Lawyering up and slinking away to hide behind sick notes shouldn’t be an option. It’s pathetic. Crimes have been committed here and should be subject to the same investigation and consequences as crimes in any other area of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Post edited by realdanbreen on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Shouldn't the % spend be dictated by whatever generates the most revenue for their product.

The advert executives accepting expensive holidays to sway their decision is the definition of bribery.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

because without GOL, RTE would be minus 1.65b.. it was very important herself and + 1 attended all these events - just to make sure the event was up to the clients expectations.. She seems the kind of person who would have zero interest in things like that anyway, prefer to be at the desk working on excel sheets.

Yeah I’m sure media agencies generate KPI/metric reports for clients on which parts of the campaign plan worked best, where brand recognition increased etc.

so yeah the justification that client entertaining engaged in by RTE is necessary evil doesn’t really hold up in 2023 when media agencies are trying to get best price and best results for its clients. Is a free trip to a match really going to be the difference on an advertising campaign?

it’s also pretty impossible to prove that client entertaining works.

a media agency is hardly going to email after a champions league final

“thanks for great few days, I’m going to increase our spend next quarter with RTE by €1m”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

They reportedly offered €12 million for 49%. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rte-refuses-to-hand-over-information-on-alleged-maximum-bid-8xsbsqzzs

I was browsing this site and came across a few things that i thought were funny. But this.

https://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8426:rte-interim-leadership-team-2&catid=31&Itemid=104

"Mr Bakhurst said the interim leadership team has the right experience to continue running it, but also to bring some new thinking and some fresh blood on board."

"The temporary team, along with Mr Bakhurst, has been named as Eimear Cusack, Director of Human Resources; Vivienne Flood, Head of Public Affairs; Mike Fives, Group Financial Controller, RTÉ; Adrian Lynch, Director Audiences, Channels, Marketing, and continuing as Acting Deputy DG; Paula Mullooly, Director of Legal; Deirdre McCarthy, Director of News & Current Affairs; Niamh O'Connor, Deputy Director of Content; Conor Mullen, Head of Strategy & Commercial Compliance, RTÉ Media Sales; and Richard Waghorn, Director of Operations and Technology.

Ms Flood, Mr Fives, Ms O'Connor and Mr Mullen were not members of the former Executive Board."

Two clicks later and on the same site there is a photograph of Conor Mullen whom I believe is the other RTE staff member that went to the Champions League Final. With Geraldine "I did what I was told" O'Leary.

GOL and NK more than anyone else seem to be pushing the narrative that neither of them could walk unless Dee Forbes told them to. All of GOL's overspending was obviously down to DF, which is really nonsense. We also heard NK repeatedly saying that RTE are a 100 year old company worth €300 million, I am just a poor small company and other crap.

Conor 'New Blood' Mullen with Gerladine "I did what I was told to do" O'Leary. I hope she had nothing to do with organising that party or the balloons in the background might have cost us €5,000 a piece.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement