Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It'd be more like the Sky days if either one of them was missing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I think Pog was trying a bit of a rope a dope yesterday. After Yates went away and Rodriguez was in front he kept half dropping Jonas' wheel. I thought this was Jonas' time to go but in the end it was Pog who attacked. I think Jonas was also pretty close to his limit as we saw earlier this tour and last year if he can ride away he will.

Its probably fair to say that this year we have 2 incredibly evenly matched riders and it has been amazing to watch. I also don't think anybody can say with any level of certainty which way the ITT is going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

What happens if there is only a handful of seconds between them at the start of the final stage into Paris ?

Does it then become unceremonial or do they still draw the line at the Saturday result ?

As far as I am know, the Sunday stage events is 100% traditional and tradition can be broken without breaking rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Any time I can remember that it is close to becoming possible the rider in 2nd has come out and guaranteed the final day as a non GC day.

Even if they tried they wouldn't have a hope anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Vingegaard had the power to respond to attacks, that means he had the power to attack first. But he rarely does. It’s hard to watch.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

No. The winner is decided the day before Paris.

they/them/theirs

Erm, not sure about that. It hasn't come up as it hasn't been close enough, but purely ceremonial is relatively recent because the winner has been so far in front. In 87, Roche did a deal with Superconfex that he wouldn't go for points in order for them to help control a possible Delgado attack (Roche was leading the Points/ Green Jersey going into Paris).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

He had the power to respond to those attacks. Who knows what he had left in the tank of Pog had sustained his attacks for a bit longer. If you're on the limit you respond to attacks as best you can, but it would be an almighty bluff to then attack yourself at the risk of blowing up and seeing Pog go over the top.

I'm finding it fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The stage being so flat and the prestige of the Champs-Élysées for the sprint teams sort of rules out any real chance of an attack anyways. The sprint teams will just chase down any breakaway, giving Jumbo/UAE a carpet ride up to whoever jumps, and then the leadout trains will leave the others in their wake by the time they get to the circuit.

Pog is fast and fancies himself in a sprint, but the proper sprinter teams will be putting everything on the line for that final stage win

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

what bikes for the TT tmrw ? change at the btm of the second climb ?

normal/light road bike would seem the better choice...?

• Advertisement

Relatively recent is as you said relative. The tradition is older that both Pog and Vingo.

Pog taking yellow in the TT would be good for the race I think.JV can be entertaining when they need to be.

2.5km @9% is doable on a TT bike, I think. It’ll be interesting to see what they actually do though.

they/them/theirs

Ide say we will see bike changes. They are so practiced at it now you lose little time. I definitely think Pogs will as he seems to have it down to a T.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cosalofa

Vino moved up to 5th on the final day in 2005. He was 2 seconds behind Leipheimer going into the stage. He clawed back the 2 seconds during an intermediate sprint and then won the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Given the final day is ceremonial I'm surprised the organisers even offered time bonuses at intermediate sprints

I wonder did a break ever stick on the final day ? Guys certainly chance their own, did it ever happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You’re responding to a post telling you the break won.

It’s “ceremonial” only because the winner is usually decided and the stage is short and easy. Teams have fought for green on the last day and of course the stage win isn’t ceremonial

If there’s (say) 2 seconds in it, the man in second will absolutely try everything they can to win

Some may remember Eddie Dunbar sprinting in the Giro final stage this year to ensure he didn’t lose 7th as only a couple of seconds ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cosalofa

To be fair, I don't think that Vino was in a break so to speak when he won. I vaguely remember him attacking in the final kms. Of course you could consider that to be a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think having bonus seconds for stage wins and climbs makes a huge difference to the racing. There's no more gifting stages with GC riders happy to allow other contenders take the stage as long as they get the same time. You can see how the race for bonus seconds has really got the top 2 riders and their team mates exorcised.

I think they should extend it though and maybe have bonuses for the top 10.

Those "gifted" stages are an important part of the economy of cycling and it'll do no good to see JV or UAE winning all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I wonder will we ever see a time trial finish on the champs in Paris again

• Advertisement

Only if France develops a GC winning TT monster I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

No chance. I don't really like TTs as the last stage of the Giro but the last stage of the tour can be a bore

iirc at least one of the laps of the champs has been an intermediate sprints since they reintroduced them. There was a Vuelta a few years pack where Valverde took the points jersey from Rodriguez on the Madrid stage too.

Not really sure how I feel on bonus seconds - adds to the racing, but then winner of a GT should be the time on the road, so I prefer when they don't decide GC. It doesn't really make sense that there's a bigger differential 3rd to 4th, than 2nd to 3rd either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Very hard to disagree with this. Ya, I can see what you're saying alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

That scenario would be incredible and talked about for ever.I doubt it though,tradition in The Tour would win .No rider would like to have the record of breaking a long held tradition in the Tour.Tradition and sportsmanship counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

I think Vingegarrd has Pogacar's measure now.He will wrap it up next with one big day in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’ll say it again, it’s only “ceremonial” because the gaps have been too big for anyone to gain enough time on a short, flat stage.

Every rider and team in the peleton would try all they could to win the Tour if they were only a couple of seconds behind

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

And that’s totally as it should be. It is a race after all. All the posing with champagne and yellow bikes etc always comes across as a bit twee to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The "Tradition" was brought into commonplace by that lovely Texan we all hold so dear. If there's less than 10 seconds in it , let them race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 16

A short but brutal TT. The final 2 km are at 9.2%.

It's a two horse race for the win here I think with a very slight chance that Rodriguez could do it. Every little thing counts on this stage. If they change bikes and one loses a couple of seconds could that be the difference?

Vin and Pog have been so close all through this race that I'm expecting this to be really close.

I don't think there'll be anything between them on the final climb and I'm thinking it's what happens from the start to the foot of that climb that will be the difference. You just know that both will be well prepared for this. Pog has been an excellent TT'er all along but Vingegaard has become a top one too.

I honestly haven't a clue which way it will go but I'll give the edge in tactics to Jumbo Visma and pick Vingegaard for the win, just.

Advertisement