Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't Hospitals enforce the 'no smoking' areas outside?

Options

Comments

Nicotine replacement therapy didn't work for me, in fact I found it was only prolonging the agony. Every time I tried to quit using NRT, I failed.

When I did eventually manage to quit, it was without NRT - not knocking it for those who its worked for, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I found the physical withdrawal was not the hardest part of the habit to break.

The psychological withdrawal was far, far harder. I used to get anxious if I didn't have a half full pack plus one unopened pack in the house at all times. It took far longer to break the psychological grip of the addiction, then the physical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

thats very interesting - hadnt read/heard of this before

no wonder you found it extra hard, you was an exception to a lot of other people if you were smoking 50to60 cigarettes a day roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The scumbags smoke at the front door of Holles St

I used to think (although I wouldn't say it to a smokers face LOL 😁 ) - come on now your a grown adult, and I presume your intelligent, and the risks have been highlighted with smoking since the 70's and well known, and you have most probably lost family members and friends in the past to smoking related diseases , you are always seeing items on the news, you read and see the warnings on the front of fag packets and yet you still choose to carry on smoking. Like if someone said to you, "if you keep poking your fingers into your eyes you are probably going to end up blind ..... you wouldn't keep doing that would you , knowing that! - even if it is a habit"

• Advertisement

such a shame Vaping has got such a bad name and bad press at the moment - would have been a great way to transition to .. something to hold in the hand/fingers, something to put in mouth like a cigarette. But they are saying now its giving people more respority problems ... sometimes more that cigarettes and god knows what chemicals your taking down into lungs from vapes .... and now of course issues of the lithium batteries exploding when charging or in peoples faces sometimes. Such a shame as I say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

To be fair, outside holles street is a public footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The one in Dublin Airport, its a pub isn't it, its nuts, drink and ciggies in Dublin airport, there's a smoking area in Shannon too but no pub there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Yeah as do the new mothers. The HSE removed all smoking areas which means naturally people will just go to the nearest entrance/exit to spark up.

• yes and no

that’s the smoking area after you pass security from memory the smoking area otherwise is at the front of T1 somewhere they have a little area and a tannoy loop to remind you

could be that’s gone now though last time I was in T1 I was picking up family many years ago. I travelled to US in 2020 before covid started up proper and don’t recall one outside T2, but I wasn’t really looking at the time either.

I distinctly remember passing security and the bar area in the food court being the only smoking area as you mentioned. I’m pretty sure it’s operated by the pub there though might not have anything to do with DAA.

edit:

just remembered also that in either Gatwick, Heathrow or Florida intl there was no smoking area at all beyond security so it’s almost definitely setup by the pub owners not daa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Once they're outside, they're not breaking any laws.

People must have little to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Don't forget the essential fact-finding trip to piss refinery in southern Portugal and the blaster factory in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

It is what happens when extremely out of touch people make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'm talking about the ramp from the footpath to the front door of the hospital. Occupied by dirt bag pregnant smokers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sam Coulter Smith took a sledgehammer to the smokers shelter in the Rotunda nearly 10 years ago.

Smokers still smoking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep I was in that internal one in Tallaght before.

The gazebo is gone but replaced by a covered area about 30ft from the main entrance, it's fenced off so it's difficult to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yeah that's the one, it's encased in glass if I remember correctly.

Poor little babbies in the womb with their mothers smoking - kids have no say, no protection even though they are unborn all that nutrition and stuff going into the womb ... along with nicotine - but here this is what happens when you give people a free will but try to help them to do the right thing , people will just do what they want selfishly.

then i suppose when the baby is born , blow smoke in babies face and breast feed citing that breast is best ... whilst carrying on smoking! - some same mothers will then also question why their babies suffer from illnesses like asthma and other breathing problems and why they are cranky and cannot sleep and crying all the time going cold turkey when they cannot get their nicotine fix (the baby that is, not the mother)

why do people have to have laws made to adhere to - what happened to common decency and just looking out for others and just doing what is right?

Law or no law If a Sign says "this is a no-smoking area - please do not smoke in this area" why do people feel the need to stand next to the sign and light up a fag habitually?

• your question sort of answers itself insofar as if laws were optional they would clearly not be followed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think all the women and children who have been beaten and abused by drunken louts of both sexes might disagree with you there , not to mention the high volume of road traffic accidents and road deaths caused by drunken drivers .

But no , as per your op , you're concerned with the people who are killing themselves and nobody else outside of hospitals , except for the smoking pregnant women of course and the smoking fathers-to-be .

It's going nowhere and a danger to themselves but they still do it . Why ? Because they are addicts same as an alcoholic or heroin or coke addict .

It's one of those things that you would hope education and removal of social acceptance for a bad habit would eventually eradicate , but it appears there will always be a certain amount of people who are addicted .

Maybe they need to include smoking as a registered addiction .

People can register with Quit.ie to get free counselling and NRT if they want .

Vaping is not a safe choice now either .

But at the end of the day it's their choice .

You can choose to walk on by and not get annoyed also . Just take a deep breath before you enter the cloud .

No matter how well intentioned you can't solve all the problems in the world , Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I honestly wish we could smoke 🚬 in alot more places to be honest , I'm 26 so I didn't get to experience it in the 80s and 90s , I know it sounds stupid my answer but just had to get that my chest

• tbh having been in houses where people smoke it’s not all that great. You end up choking eventually and the places smells of tobacco 24-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's true , I'm a smoker myself but hoping to give up , due to the cost really so maybe its a good thing they cost so much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

God knows, we spent so long in pubs and clubs in the 80s and 90s in a fog of smoke it is probably contributing to all the cancers in those people who never smoked .

It was no great thing...even more difficult to give up for those that tried because temptation was everywhere .

I was never a smoker but did " blow away" an odd one just to be with my friends 😎

Yes, smoking is an addiction, and I once reckoned I couldn’t quit, but I did and have absolutely zero desire now to smoke. However I have recurrent t dreams that I’ve gone back to smoking and I get so annoyed with myself in those dreams; it’s obviously built into the recesses of my memory although I have no conscious yearning to smoke.

Of the things that motivated me to give up were social pressure and the expense, followed lastly by health. I focussed on the sheer inconvenience of being addicted, and how I would love to be free of that searching for a way to smoke in restricted areas. I worked out that I could have an extra holiday each year by not smoking too. I set up a plan of withdrawal over 3 weeks, and the only person I told was my mother. First week nicotine chewing gum every time I felt like lighting up. Second week high dose nicotine replacement patch, ordinary chewing gum to replace the nicotine gum, third week low dose patch, continuing the ordinary gum, after the three weeks no nicotine replacement but continued chewing ordinary gum for one more week until my aching jaw said “no more”. That was it, I had given up for good that time in 1995. When people remarked that I wasn’t smoking I shrugged it off or changed the subject.

If the likes of me can do it, me, a person given to east distraction and with poor attention span, most other people could also quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say the majority of smokers hate smoking. At the beginning I liked it. And even later on there were certain times I liked it but it cost a fortune and was making me unwell. I can remember discussions with other smokers in the smoking shelters at work and most of us hated it. We kept doing it because we were addicted. And what we hated the most was that we had to smoke. Every hour we needed a cigarette. Dreading long train or plane journeys. It's pissing rain? That doesn't matter because we'll still go outside because we have to. The fear when you realise it's late but you don't have enough to last until the shops open. Being broke but somehow scraping enough money to buy some.

The addiction is definitely the worst part and you do hate that you can't make yourself stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You need to get out more!

There are far worse scenes than the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I managed to give up twice with Champix. IT's a prescription drug, costs a fortune but it works. I started smoking again months and months later. usually when I was drunk. So I can't blame the champix for that.

BTW, vaping is pretty safe. I vape now. I did loads of research into it when I was trying to switch over. People say we don't know the long term effects but so far there's been nothing shown to be wrong. And we can't avoid stuff because we don't know what's going to happen in 50 years when there's zero indication that anything will.

And especially when we know 100% about the dangers of smoking. Smoking is really, really bad.

Someday I'll give up vaping. mainly because of the fact that i don't like being addicted. I don't want to be reliant on a drug. But for now I'm healthier, it's cheaper and it's far less disgusting than smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Advertisement