Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Its aged but not badly imho. The Bebe Glazer character is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For those of you interested in all things RTE have a look at their Credit Union Members Prize Draws. I saw prizes online totalling €46,000 in prizes at Christmas, with thousands on offer every other month.

Now I know these are funded by the members, but it points to largesse around other place that the prizes are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

There really is no hope that RTE is going to change. There'll be some sort of weak gesture about Ryan, then he'll be back on the air after his holiday (presumably not with Kevin Bakhurst, just at the same time) blathering his way through with disconnected ramblings. I never understood why they let/got Dee Forbes and Geraldine O'Leary to resign with immediate effect. What happened to gardening leave? I know that they were both due to retire soon anyway, but at least there would have been a chance of getting them in front of the PAC etc, even if they both threw a sickie, whilst they were still on the books.

The whole culture in RTE (at or very near to the top, anyway) stinks to high heavens. Backhanded deals with top talent, the accounts presented in such a way as to be nearly unfathomable, decisions taken in some sort of star chamber fashion, jollies and trips, the barter account(s). You don't just need a forensic accountant, it would take a Crime Scenes Cleaning service to decontaminate and sanitise the whole thing.

I feel so sorry for the people in RTE who do their best to provide a service against all the odds.

But nothing will happen.

Don't forget Rory "Toy Show The Musical" Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Fully agree. You need to put the scare into politicos sometimes, rattle a few cages, let them know who they work for and hear the anger from th people.

The water charge protests was a time I really felt proud for us standing up for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

If Joe.ie is accurate:

Tubridy is to be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Tubridy is going on holidays at the end of July and WANTS A DECISION MADE BEFORE THEN. (Regarding his future at RTE)

Backhurst will make a decision on Tubridy's future at RTE at the end of July.

Well it looks like Backhurst is dancing to Tubridy's tune. Backhurst is coincidentally taking holidays at the same time. How convenient as he won't be around for any anti Tubridy backlash.

Tubridy arrogant little s**t that he is, wants to take his holidays safe in the knowledge that he has his old job to walk back into when he returns.

Both Tubridy and Backhurst taking holidays at the same time Hmmm...

He can’t really be taking holidays a week into a new job with his company in crisis, can he? Is there a link to that?

This absolutely would not happen in the private sector.

"The director general said both himself and Tubridy will be taking time off at the end of July, with the presenter going on holiday, and wants a decision made before then"

That's a quote from the Joe.ie link

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

It’s not just a matter of Tubridy returning the €150k. It cost RTE almost €300k to pay him the €150k. €150k to him + fees of €80k + €47k paid to stage the 3 Renault events and then I think there was a further €21k of costs discovered related to the staging. Then there is the original €75K for the 3 events that were held - RTE also paid this

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Backhurst has stated a number of times that he knows Tubridy personally so for that reason alone I can see Tubs walking back in to RTE with his head held high and looking down on the small people who are keeping the organisation a float.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I would really like to meet a few RTÉ staff who do their best to provide a service against all the odds, are they are not just part of all this drifting along, generally a good job (average wage €61k), good perks. What should be an interesting job, but looks to me like they've all created the drudgery of 9 to 5.

The Rehab continues with this article... did he not notice it before?

Crazy, basically RTÉ are on holidays until Sept, and they will look at it all then. I'd image they will actually have an autumn launch. Beggars belief.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

It isn't Ryans fault because he and his agent were just doing what an incompetent broadcaster told them to do so he deserves to get his job back at the incompetent broadcaster. 🤦‍♂️

It's such a naked PR ploy to get back into the cushy number he had with zero interest in actually having any meaningful change to reduce the incompetence.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

All RTÉ talent should be capped at 200k. RTÉ will always get a certain audience. When Pat Kenny left the audience didn't leave.

There are thousands and thousands of morons out there tunning into Ryan's vaccous drivel and they think he is a genuine guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

It's most peculiar or completely bonkers as Ryan would say! Director General of RTE going on holidays a couple of days into his new job, when the faith of RTE is up in the air!?

I'm sure all decisions have been made privately already.The general tax payers are really treated and taken for fools

A political intervention is needed because this madness needs to stop!

I don't know. Is Joe.ie just stirring it? Am I reading it wrong? I would have have thought holidays and time off would generally equate to the same thing as in not present. It's pretty f****d up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Joseph Schumpeter

I seem to remember you asking questions about measuring RT’s “talent” against his ability to draw in advertising revenue. Drawing evidence in order to defend him? Does it appeal to you to take both sides of the argument and act like you’re on the side of concerned citizens whilst pandering towards your role models? Save the act of disliking Tubridy for someone who is genuinely sickened by his holier than thou moral high ground act. Ex facto he is a lying avarice ridden miser. But I suppose you would show pity to those traits and frame them as in some way tragic.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rothko threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, I was wondering. Did RTE reduce Renault’s sponsorship fee by 75k for each of the 3 years or just yr 1? It could potentially have cost them 75k * 3 in sponsorship income lost plus the 75k *2 paid to Tubs. It certainly cost them 75k *3 plus the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This popped up on my feed

Dee Forbes and Breda O'Keeffe among RTÉ execs who asked government for funds more than 50 times (thejournal.ie)

Dee Forbes and Breda O'Keeffe among RTÉ execs who asked government for funds more than 50 times.

Analysis of lobbying returns shows dozens of pleas from RTÉ since 2017.

RTÉ EXECUTIVES HAVE lobbied senior Government figures about funding dozens of times in recent years, while making controversial use of three barter accounts and spending hundreds of thousands on voluntary redundancies during that time.

An analysis of returns on the State’s Lobbying Register shows that the broadcaster has contacted successive taoisigh and media ministers, as well as various TDs and secretaries general, more than 50 times about funding since 2016.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Did they not draw up €75k in a credit note to Renualt for the first year to be used on advertising, and had they continued with the deal RTÉ would have issued 2 more credit notes.

To me it was a win-win for Renualt, and an expensive movement of money around to prevent a trail going back to tubs in fear of the public backlash to his wage.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

It cost RTE €75k x 3 plus the costs of staging those 3 ridiculous events plus the barter account fees of €80k. Overall a total of €373k so that is what he owes the licence payers

it’s a pity the committee did not put a simple question to him: Mr Tubridy u say that the Renault thing was a separate deal u had with them. Why then did RTE pay the costs of staging the 3 events?

Does anyone know of any pop star etc who puts on concerts but does not pay for the cost of staging same from the takings?

In a previous post I do recall asking a question but believe me it was genuine and not designed in some way to deflect anything away from him. I am not a Ryan Tubridy fan and have no intentions or interest in defending him directly, indirectly or sitting on the fence as you seem to imply. My question was about advertising revenue and does his show (s) generate revenues that cover his massive salary as I am trying to understand why RTE would want to continue with him.

Now, I don't need to explain myself any further to you. You can believe what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Lobbied for funds to build up the account for their Golden Handshakes.

Where would you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Just coming back on this as promised. The guy who went with to the game went with his brother and they shared a twin room in a 4 star hotel for 2 nights (incl. breakfast) for just over €400 between them. The pair of them did the game, return flights ex. Dublin and 2 nights in Madrid for under a grand each.

If RT is cleared of any wrongdoing, why did he apologise?

There is no way in hell RT should be allowed back in RTE

If he is allowed back in RTE has not and will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

i think that the perception that NK is being marginalised by KB is the vehicle that will be used to re-introduce Ryan Tubridy to the radio schedule. Kevin will be able to play the hard man - "look how i sidelined the agent so I could deal directly with the compassionate star, beloved of children throughout the land. How could I deny the listening public the man they desire so whole heartedly?"

it looks like Ryan is in the driving seat, wanting an answer in the next fortnight. WTAF? I'd make him wait until I was good and ready. Arrogance personified.

RTE are living the life of the hog and this has to stop now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

realdanbreen threadbanned

• Advertisement

€1.65BN buys a lot of large bottles indeed.

I think we'd be lost without her and owe her an apology and €5m golden hand shake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement