Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

A major problem with all this is that regardless of whether it is a good deal or not, any replacements for Fab and Hendo will effectively miss the most important part of preseason and will be struggle to get up to speed and understand exactly what Klopp will want from them tactically.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH our midfield was so bad last year I'd be fine with any or all of them leaving, once we're signing good replacements.

I don't feel particularly strongly that we need to keep any of them, none of them are irreplaceable at this stage. Obviously not forgetting what they've given the club.

I think Fabinho is the one I really struggle with for a reason to keep him. He was just hopeless all of last season. If we could get half decent coin for him we'd be mad not to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It might be bodies out, but Ox, Keita, and Arthur might as well have not been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problem is we haven't added any young player to the winners. Before this summer who was the last midfielder we bought? Thiago in 2020, its simply not enough spent on rejuvenating Klopps engine room. As I stated already the experienced winners in midfield were the issue last season, burnt out. Is it ideal they all go in one summer? No its not but there is enough experience in the rest of the squad to cope and we will never get offered more for Fabinho and Henderson. Reality is we aren't an oil club, we need money to reinvest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The club left it too late to manage the transition correctly.

It's not Fabinhio's or Hendersons fault that they cannot run anymore. It's the clubs fault. They needed support and they didn't get any.

They may not have the legs, but they would have been important in the dressing room. Senior players who could explain something or help out if new players were struggling.

The Saudi bids have thrown a spanner in the works imo. Klopp would have wanted to keep them and maybe add a new player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've heard this important in the dressing room nonsense for weeks now. We need a dynamic, athletic and intelligent team of footballers, particularly in midfield. It's klopps job to be vocal in the dressing room, not Fabinho's. Jordan might have said a bit more, as club captain, but there's plenty of other senior players there to fill that gap. These players are on over 100k per week, they should be able to play to the managers vision and we shouldn't be paying anyone for the sake of having a leader in the dressing room. Defences and Goals win games, not the lads gossiping in the dressing room.

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Try 200k a week,varies from where you read it but generally accepted Salah, vvd, Thiago are the three top earners, with fabinho and Henderson in the next two or three, expensive pep talks for sure for players with reducing game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah in fairness, a good captain is fairly huge to creating a winning mentality and atmosphere, and Hendo is clearly better than most at this. Gerrard was an amazing player, but Henderson's the best captain we've had in decades.

And of course players shouldn't need these extra sources of motivation, but the reality is that they do. Hendo's athleticism on the pitch isn't quite what it was - still grand as long as he's rested where possible - but when he's on the field his influence constantly talking and dictating to the other players during the game is clearly very valuable. He's constantly reinforcing Klopp's plan and mentality in-game in a way Klopp can't do from the sideline. It's notable the England team brought him back into the starting 11 during the World Cup, and how that totally changed the cohesion in the middle as he drove everyone to do the right things in the right moments, and kept the pressure up.

He should be getting phased out bit by bit for sure, but losing him overnight would be a real blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Easy to say but Hendo is the only one I think of that has had the ability to change the performances of others on a regular basis over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ok let's cut through it so.

We have Sobo, Mac, Thiago as first choice if Hendo and Fab leave.

We need three other decent midfielders and realistically at least one of those I'd say has to be a starter. That's assuming you consider Jones a genuine option which I didn't until April/May. So we need to sign at least two new midfielders and time is running out.

That's just the buying/selling process.

Integration/ loss of the others is the next problem.

We're repeating the same old point now I know but one thing that strikes me is alot of people who were anti FSG for their spending are now Uber confident that there is no downside to losing Fab or Hendo because they will be replaced. I doubt well replace them for the 50m reported 40m plus 10m).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

That is true of every single season for Henderson except the last one. He was poor. Not Fab poor but just not good enough. I'll say it again, next season if he stays, will be a Milner 2.0 role. There to fill a gap.

We had far too many passengers in the club who continued to be present due to club/fan loyalty. This is a serious cull, far beyond what I imagined we would do. Just need to use the new cash and bring in a true DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d argue that’s untrue.

Adrian had an uncanny ability to affect the performances of the defenders in front of him, just not for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some whispers that Liverpool have asked Bournemouth to reverse the fixture in GW2 and play it away instead of Anfield.

This would tie in with the email the club sent out today saying that the members tickets sales would be delayed by 2 weeks. My impression of that was that the construction of the new stand is running behind and they can't commit to selling tickets for seats that might not be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lads we are going to win the fooking lot....

Maybe not next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

If it was that easy every club would be competing for trophies.

Every single ex player has said that you need experience and "old heads" to get you through the season.

If Arsenal had that I think they would have won the league.

While there is a lot of experience still at the club and Klopp is still there, I do feel that losing Fabinhio and Hendo will not help the team in the long run.

It could be mitigated by new signings but if it's Lavia and Batecic for DM then I'd be concerned

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Barella would be near the top of my list of players to go and get if Fabinho does leave.

A few years older than our current signings, and just about to hit his peak. Very experience in the Champions League, has played in a final. Established Italian international, Euro 2020 winner.

He's a work horse and versatile, IMO would be the sort of midfield general we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Barella would be a great Henderson replacement but no good as a Fabhino swap.

The only thing is signings from Seria A have a poor record in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Barella is not a No.6...he is a box to box style midfielder who is at his best at the attacking end of the pitch. He would have been the ideal Henderson replacement, but since we signed Sobo, I highly doubt we're going to spend another 70m on a player to compete for the same spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I'll be gutted to see Hendo leave. His leadership is phenomenal. His organisation and vocalism has won us matches. I think of Bayern in the CL - we embarassed them, but it could have been very different had Henderson not roared our defence out of it and gotten them to raise their levels and eliminate slop.

We will miss that

I presume u are talking about the first leg because he was substituted after 13 mins in the second leg for Fabinho

I do. I think he was the standout player in that game. Ensured they didn't score

Where you seeing that? Could it be played at Anfield anyway, but with Anfield Road empty?

Might be able to, but if they wanted to continue construction that week, I suspect that would be tricky... Anfield Road is the only stand out of commission, but would imagine all the infrastructure around the stadium is a bit clogged up with construction stuff that might make it difficult to host 35,000+ people.

Worst case I'm sure they could do a more limited capacity sort of thing alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very obvious during the Covid games with no crowd, jaysus you'd be jumping up from the couch yourself listening to him!

Can't help but think though his best is in the past, he has to move on pretty soon. Whether that's now or not though I'm not sure if it's best for the club, but if his heads turned......

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I dont really understand the hate Henderson is getting, not necessarily on here but certainly on other places online. As far as I can see an opportunity has arisen that he didnt go looking for and he is exploring it. He isnt throwing the toys out of the pram, pretending to be injured, threatening to go on strike etc. He is carrying on like a professional. I'm sure he knows more than anyone that the writing is on the wall in relation to his position as a guaranteed starter and as captain of the club I'm sure that hurts.

He has been a wonderful servant and his influence will be missed. All the great teams of the past have had a strong dressing room led by the captain. There is a reason why Klopp wanted to keep Milner and it wasnt just blind loyalty. It is massively important. In fairness I still think we have a few others who could step up such as Robbo and Virg who would ensure standards dont slip but that strong voice in the dressing room should not be underestimated. With the Europa league there will be a lot of games and rotation and Hendo could be massively important to make sure the squad keeps the first XI on their toes.

If there is a reason to be critical of Henderson it is the absolute hypocrisy of his speaking up for the LGBT community and then willing to move to Saudi Arabia. If I was part of that community I would feel very let down. I dont think that footballers should be expected to be the leading moral lights in social issues but if you are willing to accept plaudits for taking a particular stance then you should be at least willing to back it up.

Yeah, I think that latter point is a big reason for it. I wouldn't necessarily begrudge him keeping an eye on potential moves, particularly if it helped extend his top level career - whereas a saudi move does the opposite and, as you say, goes against everything he's publicly stood for, for years.

Robbo would definitely be a good one to take on some of that role, but Virg has an awful habit of dropping the head when things aren't going well, and just starts pissing and moaning about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree, if Henderson goes to Saudi Arabia, then what does that say about all that support for the LGBT+ community, support for NHS workers etc, was it just window dressing all along, kinda a box ticking exercise. He's free to do what he wants, but, he's not short of money and he would effectively be ending his top level career, I don't really see an upside for him. The money might be massive, but, really isn't worth damaging his reputation for. He would go down in my and a lot of people's opinions if he does go.

Robbo would be the natural successor, VVD has enough to worry about his own performances and does tend to moan a lot.

Virgil is not good captaincy material in my opinion. Obviously Rolls Royce level defender when he’s on it and just exudes confidence, but when things are going against us and he’s not having a good day, he can be very pi**y and moany in his attitude and more often than not will almost just throw his arms up and look to point blame when he gets caught out. I think Allison is by far the best candidate to take over from Henderson as far as attitude goes, but I’m not sure what people think about having a goal keeper as captain. 

• Advertisement

it was in a whatsapp group but the mail about the tickets being delayed was from the club themselves.

I'd say the club are worried are seriously worried about the stand not being ready. The first home game is only around 4 weeks away and the stand is still a construction site. I'm no engineer but I doubt the stand can be used yet because of healthy & safety.

I'd throw Robertson into the hat too, he's the scottish captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We've got four national captains (?) in our first XI, that's pretty good going

Virgil, Robbo, Szobo and Mo... think that's it?

That said, if Henderson does go I agree absolutely that I'd give it to Robbo. Positive, vocal, aggressive. Ali second pick for me

Alisson would be a solid choice too. Rarely misses a beat and is very vocal

I think alisson would be a good choice, most likely to be playing every game, maybe an outfield player is better though, closer to the ref,Robertson can be quite intense, not sure if he is suited to talking to the ref alot ,a good option overall though, it's all a bit irrelevant, Henderson moving talk seems to have gone quiet,I don't think they want to pay a transfer fee and he's not going for free.

I don't get where they are coming from hoping to nab him on the free?? Like why would Liverpool or any team let their captain go on a free? A player who has 2 years left on his current contract! It just makes no sense to me...

Give it to Salah he can atleast speak to the referee when he's been kicked all over the place.

Sounds like Fofana has got a very bad injury again at Chelsea, which will be a blow to him, and out for a long period of time. Possibly the season. It will mean that Colwill will be needed now to step up and play more. That would scupper any potential transfer now.

This one was always a non-runner for me, no way Chelsea are going to sell one of the most promising young center backs they’ve had in years to us. Which is a shame, I remember watching him against us in that 3-0 loss and it was mentioned at the time it was only his 3rd maybe 4th start, he was just immense. I remember thinking to myself why the hell Chelsea had him out on loan considering the shambles they were in at the back themselves! 

• Advertisement

Twenty million in wages to spend alot of time on the bench is an incentive to sell, salary enough for two if not three younger players, it's alot of money if he isn't producing it on the pitch, hopefully he will have a good season, just pointing out reasons why he is not a high priced player on the transfer market, his statistics for last season tell the story without the nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

In the midst of all the transfer stuff I just remembered that Martin Tyler retired and Peter Drury replaced him at Sky

Cheered me up no end

Never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Diaz off to Saudi, come on, that can't happen

• Advertisement

I see the latest midfielder we are linked with is Doucoure from Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's like our goal is to build a mid table team.

Gini,Robertson and Mane didn't work out too bad to mention a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

75M? For a player who has a huge ceiling and a decent amount of time left on his contract? At least 175M before it should even be given a cursory glance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement