Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Comerman

I see the squad heading off in a bus this morning, team building perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Was talking to one of them a while ago at match so they're definitely not all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Comerman

Could of been the footballers, I'm as blind as a bat 👓 (did he mention Blanchfield 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

David was told in hospital he could go back trying to run on Monday to see has he any chance of playing. I know he is remaining very positive but it's very hard to see him playing. Theres no hiding places in croke Park. Running after Morrissey or Hegarty with a punctured lung is far from ideal.

The introductions of padraig and Buckley has definitely helped us get over the last two matches. I don't know if either player has 70 mins of high tempo but for experience they might do what they do with Fogarty and get one of them to empty themselves and bring on the other. Cian Kenny will probably replace Fogarty in the second half.

Alternatively they will start Darragh Corcoran wing back and give him a job. He played well in the park againt galway when moved back but he struggled in the leinster final and Henry went after him. He was replaced that day and hasn't being used since. He is a fine strong hurler but he lacks pace . It's a Pity someone like conor Delaney with a good few years experience around the squad hasn't being closer to the team.

In better news Michael Carey got the all clear earlier this week. Great news for him personally after a very difficult year on and off the pitch. Very unlikely he will be an option next Sunday after missing so much but the main thing is he is back to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Great news about Mikey

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Great news about Carey.. I would give blanchfield every chance but we know from the past starting anyone that's not fit is not a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

No. He only said they are hoping everyone will be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hard luck in the football today lads , i hear fifi has her tits back out in ballyragget to comfort the lads on their home coming 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Heard something similar to Brookville about Blanch, apparently they got a second opinion and haven't ruled him out just yet. Hopefully he'll be fit and able to play but with an injury like that if he isn't right they shouldn't risk it. Great news about Mikey Carey hopefully he'll be back hurling with us next yearhe'd be a massive addition to the panel.

If Blanch is out it'll be a huge call for Derek as to who replaces him. The tactic of introducing Buckley and Walsh late in the game has worked really well so far this year so would Corcoran be the best option? I know he isn't the fastest but he is big and strong and would be able to compete physically with Morrissey or Hegarty. Hopefully the Clare game will have brought Mossy on and he will be back in form for Sunday, we're going to need someone to help take the scoring load off Cody. Hopefully they will leave Mossy close to goal as he isn't as effective further out the pitch but it's interesting that the last 2 games they've started him centre forward on Dathi Burke and John Conlon, with Hayes likely to start centre back for Limerick will they start him centre forward again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Hannon is expected to start at cb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭High bike

There didn't seem to be much wrong with him after the semifinal anyway he was out on the field celebrating with the rest of the panel,andJK seemed fairly hopeful in his post match interview too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Not a hope will Hayes start CB. He is to much of a threat going forward from wing back to start at No.6 and he did not play there in the semi final after being named at No.6. Who we play wing forward on Hayes is another massive decision. Wally might be the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I don't think Corcoran would have the pace to deal with Hegarty tbh. Blanchfield will be a huge loss if unavailable. I wasn't overly impressed with Buckley when he came on V Clare.

Would putting Fogarty back on Hegarty and starting Kenny be an option??

Lads that are out with knees or in a race to be fit for matches don’t be out after full time in a semi unbandaged and lifting players up celebrating. I saw him lift lynch and dod off the ground cheering

Who’s going to watch lynch too ? As Henry said it’s just like trying to put fires out all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Although I will get slated for this the last few times Fogarty went man marking in the backs, Austin Gleeson won HOTY when marking Fogarty and Mannion hit him from 7 from play in a league match in Nowlan Park, also wing back when he dropped a easy ball in the 2019 final and o Meara picked it up round rings around him and got a massive goal to give Tipperary the momentum from Kilkenny, so my answer would be NO.

In fairness Blanchfield will not be able to give 100% if in pain, tough ask to leave it to him.

Would rather if Brian Cody was still here for this one. Have a feeling we are going to be blown away by limerick’s management team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Fogartys role is the floater. He's the one you want as the second defender or cleaning up ball. If you play him in the backs he can't do that and you lose the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Didn't see the Limerick semi final but had heard that Hayes went in centre back but I suppose my point was more than playing a position it looked like Mossy was put on Galway and Clare's most physical and best high ball winning back and would we do something similar on Sunday. Personally I think Mossy has to be closer to the goal a it's where he does his best work and is most dangerous! Your right hard to know who to put on Hayes, do you put someone on him to stop him hurling or do you put someone on him and run him around and make him defend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'd be amazed if hannon started word on the ground in limerick that I'm hearing anyway is he's out for the yr would love to be wrong.

One thing I know for certain is hayes will not be at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭blackcard

In the good old days prior to 2010, you could pop in to Nowlan Park, see who was training, see how they were going in a full on practice match, see who was on the A team and see who was getting treatment. You would often get people from other counties as far away as Antrim turning up to witness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Kiely and Kinnerk like Hayes wing back for a few reasons…. can launch attacks from there and his huge frame closes off that side of the pitch on the opposition puck out and leaves a very small target .

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’m sure the hurling public in Limerick can only see one result. Usually over confidence sets in no matter how hard the management tries to counteract it this can only be good for us. Eoin Cody is right when he speaks of a lack of respect for Kilkenny from the media I don’t know should we bother going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Every underdog that ever played sold the line that nobody gave them a chance, it's what you come to expect. It doesn't mean it's true and I don't for a second believe that this Limerick outfit will be overconfident on Sunday. That's not to say they can't or won't be beaten but it won't be because of taking Kilkenny lightly that's for sure. If we win it will be because we're the better team on the day, not because Limerick went in with the wrong attitude.

In fact if you think about what you're saying, you're buying into that same narrative yourself clearly as you're suggesting we need Limerick to be over confident for us to have a chance!

Limerick may well be timing their run perfectly this year but personally I expect us to give it a right rattle. I would agree with those who say Mossy should play closer to goal on Sunday. We will need goals and he's our best threat in there.

Think you're getting it all wrong when you suggest people in Limerick only see one result. Not true at all

the main feeling is that if limerick at our full pelt and a performance of the 2021 final turns up the kk can’t live with them

kiely doesn’t do overconfident.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

i just don’t see how Blanchfield can be fit to play in an All Ireland final while still recovering from a punctured lung.

I know the guidelines say the injury itself can be recovered in 10-14 days but returning to sport if not fully right it would be tested to the absolute maximum in the final.

Eoin Cody looks like a man on a mission as captain this year, he is like his uncle Henry, cold and assassin like. Not afraid to speak his mind either.

Speaking of his uncles, Eoin was supposedly very very close to his uncle the late Paul Shefflin and took his death very bad and sometimes that can be driving factors in one’s motivation.

I think Limerick’s corner backs be it Casey or Nash will find Cody very hard to handle on Sunday in the form he is in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

i didn’t suggest for a minute that John Kiely does over confidence. You go down to Limerick and come back and tell me the general public isn’t over confident. I am not talking about the hurling fraternity who by and large don’t get carried away. This air of confidence can always do damage. As for the team getting due respect I’ll ask you do you think they have got due respect, anytime we won this year it was always what the other team did wrong that they were beaten.

Advertisement