Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Potential new competitor

"We don’t have plans to enter the Irish market just yet. We have been watching the Irish market very closely for a long time as it has much in common with Australia’s, including the volatility issues”. The Irish-Australian businessman founded GloBird in 2015 in the state of Victoria, marketing itself as a "next-gen, budget-friendly energy retailer". It has consistently been ranked as one of the cheapest providers in the markets where it operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

You would need to be saving over €100 but read the thread. The FloGas offer isn't on bonkers, you've to follow a link and its significantly cheaper.

Using the national averages is pointless. You need to work out your own usage. Its not hard. Just take the meter reading from your most recent bill and the bill a year ago. Takes 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

This is what I've been sent from Waterpower.ie

No fixed contract or early exit fee - seems a good deal tbh (compared to the mainstream)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

I switched to Flogas BWG gas only rate on June 20th. I received first bill today and see I was charged incorrect rate of 11.43 instead of 9.85.

Has anyone found similar, is there any recourse for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

You should have received an email when you signed up. Under the Your Offer box it should say name of tariff you are on. Check that as proof and get on to them if they are wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm not seeing any great shakes there compared to my fixed Flogas deal, 33.38 day & 14.75 night including vat their night rate is particularly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Their night rate is 6-7 cents per unit lower than their day rate.

The difference in pass-through charges (CRU DUoS) between night and day is around 6 cents inc. VAT.

So, they're charging almost the same kWh prices. Now, if you look at spot MWh prices, at the moment, they are roughly the same for night and day. There are a few occasions where the price drops (up to zero) at night, but most of the time, there is little difference.

Their pricing is more reflective of market reality in my view, and their day/night price difference may increase if it increases on the wholesale market. Actually, there are significant variations if you look at that price difference month by month, so I guess that's what happening, they're just passing wholesale prices on to consumers.

While Flogas and other suppliers may have more of a marketing approach to pricing, i.e. your low and attractive night rate is subsidised by your inflated day rate (and standing charge). You shouldn't get distracted by that and focus on your overall estimated bill, based on your usage.

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

comparing Flogas BWG vs Waterpower, I guess what you gain on night rate you lose on day rate so as always it depends on your usage, but that Flogas plan suits me as an EV and house battery user.. for now! 😁

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

This happened to me. I called customer service, sent them screen shots of the rate I signed up too and they adjusted my bill back to the current rate

thanks, you just prompted me to double check with customersupport@flogas.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

What does BWG stand for? Just signed up for Flogas Dual on the fixed tariff on the front page of their site but saw the link to the better community offer in here. Is it just a promotional tariff available to anyone? I've a 14 day cooling off period so I assume I can ask them to switch me to the other tariff easily enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

Thanks, I have screen shots of the rate. I just checked my sign up email it doesn't have me on the right rate either but I followed the link. Because I have the screen shots and the link is no longer valid I'm hoping they will still honour it. I was reluctant to ring in case they asked BWG questions:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It's BWG group, owners of SPAR shops etc. In theory you have to work for them but in reality most people who sign up don't. Did you sign up to that a while ago as people here have said it's gone now and replaced with a 'community' deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got an email from Energia this morning, my contract for the bargain EV Plan that a few of us got here is up on 20th August. The EAB is currently €1040 per year and will shoot up to 1,700 when out of contract. Whats the best current deal out there? Im hoping something decent comes along in the next 4 weeks to help absorb the shock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Thanks. I just signed up to the regular a few days ago before seeing there was a better one so I could just cancel and reapply as there's a 14 day cooling off period but that seems messy. Is the "community deal" also meant just for certain employees? The cleanest option is just to request they put me on that if it's available for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

In same boat my Energia EV plan expires 5th September any idea what's the best option currently?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

read back through last couple of pages, you'll find the flogas community plan link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

My flogas order for electric was cancelled this morning due to my signing up with SSE which I have cancelled yesterday as it is within the 14 day cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What rates are they offering you? Ring them and tell them Flogas have a fixed deal for 33.38/14.75, it's the best around and they might come close to matching it. I was with them for years and whenever I tried to leave they'd match the new price I was getting. There's a song there somewhere 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

I switched to smart meter plan Flogas on 28/06/23. I got an email that I will receive a welcome pack in 14 working days.

I haven't switched so I sent them a mail and got a reply from 2 separate people to provide more details but I have not received any follow up since. Currently 25min waiting on "sales" line to Flogas.

I'm out contract with BordGais so paying high price now and sort of stuck, not sure if I should switch to someone else as it's really difficult to contact Flogas. So frustrating and I wish I just renewed contract with BordGais ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ConorC1

Their unit prices are variable right? If so have you any insight into the unit price during the month or do you have to wait until you get billed?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I have no idea tbh - never gone variable before. I'd imagine its when you get billed - but that doesn't worry me too much as there historic priaces have been good and you don't have any contract, so if anything is off i can just swap to a new provider

Folks, I was just on the phone with Flogas. The BWG offer was just for the staff of the BWG. The lady said that the offer should never have gone on the site.

Due to my signing up with sse the day before I signed up for this offer, I now have to wait 21 days to sign up with a new company. As you can't sign up to 2 companies even though I cancelled sse with the 14 day cooling off period

I'll be back in 3 weeks asking ye what the best deal is. Best of to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is appreciated you called the company and told them about Boards making the offer known.

Sorry, but I never mentioned Boards. She said a link was going around and she already had 5 callers about about it today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

The problem only occurs when people ring them about the offer, it has been said here numerous times to only sign up online or you most likely won't get the offer.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

If they meant to restrict it to BWG staff, they wouldn't have the exact same rates available to all with their "community" offer.

She went to speak to the marketing team and they told it was never online even after I told her I had a picture of the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Looking for a bit of guidance on this. I usually manage to switch each year without hassle but really struggling to see which is the best option with all the price hikes as EVERYTHING is going to be more expensive than what we spent last year on a Bord Gais Dual Fuel plan.

From reading through, the Flogas BWG offer seems the best all rounder - that correct? (https://www.flogas.ie/dual-fuel/flogas-community-plan-fixed-dual-fuel-1-yr.html) ??

I know it's a different situation for most but the usage would be fairly common in the household.

Also, the house has a smart meter but I'm not sure it'd be a benefit switching to a Smart Plan.

Any clarity on this would be hugely appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

that's the job, ring them and explain about an expired offer people were using to save a few quid

this is likely why the links keep getting taken down, my other half works for bwg and didn't even get notification of the offer

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement