Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Conway's callup possibly explained.... 👀

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1680575800179924992

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

C'mere you fcuker, I want to apologise for my earlier actions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

murray has actually played at 10 (wearing 21) for ireland though albeit very briefly.

I know caps weren't awarded, but why is everyone pretending the two Maori ABs games didn't happen?

Also, by this logic, Peter O'Mahony should be ahead of Calvin Nash in the pecking order at wing, since he's actually played wing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

We used that strategy for at least the first half in the last game against south africa. We went from kicking long which is our typical strategy to contestable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Especially with HIAs. We're playing Scotland right before the knockouts. Scotland (Glasgow) gave Munster 3 or 4 HiAs in a single game in the URC quarter finals this year. With RTP those players are unavailable for the next match

• Advertisement

I'd rather any of Harry, Carty, Burns or Crowley over Frawley as throwing Frawley under the bus in a RWC knockout game could be a disaster for him, and for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

If fairness that was a bizarre game with regards HIAs. It’d be interesting to see what the average HIA numbers per game for Ireland over the last year or so has been. Probably just under one a game? Maybe one every second game although obviously some games are outliers. Two a game would be pretty unlucky.

The Scottish URC teams are the highest tacklers in the tournament. It's how they're coached.

It wasn't just Munster who got a load of HiAs playing them

In the IRL Scotland game, they'll likely be playing for their world cup tournament so won't be holding anything back. Won't be at all surprised to see a few HIAs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the new Aslan version of 'Fields of Athenry' the official world cup theme for 2023 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i would look at those games as 'A' games in all but name tbh, id imagine most others have a similar view on it

and i wasnt suggesting murray was a better option, just merely pointing out he has played fly-half in a full international while frawley technically has yet to. again, neither would be great options imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cian Healy has played hooker for Ireland, Tom Stewart has not. I doubt it's going to factor into anything.

I think people are underestimating the importance of the repeated evidence that Farrell is a big fan of Frawley at 10, especially when it's been shown over and over that Farrell doesn't care as much about provincial experience if a guy can do what he wants in Ireland camp, Crowley himself being the shining example.

He's got a lot of ground to make up but if he's outperforming Byrne or Crowley in training, it will be a live issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Somewhat contrary to my expectations that all four SA sides are toward the right side of that distribution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I really don’t see it.

Frawley has had the odd badly timed injury, but ultimately he still hasn’t been involved in a single Test match. In, what, 30-odd Tests since Farrell took charge?

And, in as far as Farrell appears to be a big fan, that’s as much down to the dearth of options during his tenure as anything.

Carbery, Harry Byrne, Burns, Ross Byrne and Crowley have all floated around that 2nd/3rd choice spot since Farrell has come in.

If Farrell was a big fan, Frawley would’ve seen game time / been called in ahead of some of those more regularly over the last number of years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was Frawley injured during the AIs?

OK, imagine a scenario like this.

Frawley was clearly the next cab off the rank behind Carbery at the start of November. If he doesn't get injured in the NZ A game, then he's very likely on the bench against Fiji and starting against Australia.

Alternatively - if either Sexton or Carbery had got a knock during the summer tour last year, he'd have been capped against the All Blacks. Based on the last few years, what odds would you have got on both Sexton and Carbery staying fit three weeks in a row? But that's how it happened.

His lack of a cap is due to circumstances, not a disinterest from Farrell.

Again - it's probably a long shot but there's plenty of reason to think it's not out of the question.

on the flip side, he only started the midweek games last summer as harry byrne was injured

All of which is 2 and a half years into Farrell’s tenure where he’s tried lots of other options.

That's probably correct but don't lots of players get their break like that? Come November, Harry Byrne was nowhere to be seen and Frawley was the man in the driving seat. By the same token, Crowley only got his caps when Carbery and Frawley were injured.

Again, he just wouldn't be in camp if he was as far off the pace as is being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd have said if the squad was still 31 then Frawley would have travelled. But with the expanded squad that versatility isn't as required.

I do think that Frawley is 4th choice Outhalf and if one of the first 3 get injured then he'll be on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's hard watching this and not feel annoyed

There must be a World Cup god up there that hates us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He played for Ireland A against New Zealand XV (started at 10 ahead of crowley) and was subbed off with an injury that ruled him out for 5 or 6 months.

Edit to add I feel he was being looked at as a utility back at the time but playing 10 for Ireland teams as he wasn't getting time at 10 for leinster. Farrell could see him as a 12 in blue easily.

yep i completely agree, i was just countering your point that his lack of caps was due to circumstance by saying the gametime he has had is arguably due to circumstance too

and id agree with the idea that frawley would go in a smaller squad but with 33 and sextons age/injury profile, 3 proper FHs are needed in the squad

I’ve always thought similar when it comes to Gavin Coombes. Part of the reason he hasn’t gotten more of a look in is because of the fitness of Doris, Conan and POM.

That’s why I’ve always felt it harsh when the argument was made that he wasn’t doing what Farrell wanted, or isn't good enough to do what Farrell asks.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Hopefully frawley sees some game time v italy..

Who knows.. an injury to the 3rd choice outhalf for Australia could see Eddie jones call up Frawley..

yeah they do enjoy playing non 10s at 10s to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Chatting to a friend today about the WC. He played for the US Eagles and Oxford and is a very good underage coach, knows the game and is a close student of it. He can't see past France and SA (Assuming as you should that they'll get a lot better). On Ireland he compared them to Argentina; capable of big performances but mentally off when it comes to being able to string dominant performances against top sides together. As we've seen countless times even struggling SA teams do that, as do the English, the French, the ABs and Oz though Australia have had some very bad days at the WC. Ireland's last top level performance in the WC was France in Cardiff 8 years ago and before that probably Australia in 2011. Those are the only significant victories Ireland have in the competition besides beating some of our 5 and 6 nations competition there.

I'd like to think the grand slam and the NZ series alongside our very good record against England, France and SH teams over the last few years change the equation but it's still the case that mentally we have the most to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He's tied to Ireland as it stands.

Law 8.3 For the purposes of this Regulation, a Player is deemed to have played for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team of a Union if:

(b) The Player is selected to represent a Union’s senior Touring Squad on an International Tour which includes an International Match or Matches approved by World Rugby and is present at any fifteen-a-side Match played on that International Tour either as a replacement, substitute or a playing member of a team selected from the Union’s senior Touring Squad and has, at the time of the Match, reached the age of majority; or

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Was not aware of that. Thanks

Most likely part of the reason why oli jager wouldn't have trained with Ireland squad when they were short numbers before the Maori Match last year and they had to go get Bent to fill in on the bench.

I thought at the time jager could have played for ireland A in a non cap match v the Maori but still retained eligibility for the all blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good stat on Murray

• Advertisement

That’s why I’ve always felt it harsh when the argument was made that he wasn’t doing what Farrell wanted, or isn't good enough to do what Farrell asks.

In fairness to the people making that argument (i.e. me), you're looking at two different thresholds of "doing what Farrell wants".

Re: Frawley, it's whether Farrell rates him enough to give an outside chance of sneaking into a 33-man squad as third choice 10 and utility back. He only needs to outperform Byrne - who is no world beater, let's be honest - or Crowley, who is only marginally more experienced at 10 than Frawley. It's not insurmountable.

Coombes has been in every single squad for more than two years in a very competitive position, he's obviously highly rated by Farrell. However, the "not doing what Farrell wants/not good enough" argument was in relation to why he can't break the first choice match-day 23, and with the guys we have in the back-row, that's a huge ask and will continue to be, at least until POM retires.

Putting Coombes in Frawley's position, and seeing what he needs to do to go to France, he only really needs to beat out Prendergast, which is very achievable for a guy of his ability.

Advertisement