Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes. How many did they say were on over 100k? Would like to know those roles but would guess they are massively overpaid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Person does not renew license. Tv inspector calls to see if you’ve a tv. Answer is have you got anything that allows you to enter a persons home as you’re not getting in without something. What happens now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Given that RTE top management were 100% involved - if not come up with the idea- in falsifying invoices , paying out on them in the ‘most tourism route’ possible over a number of years, for work - RT to do promotions forRenault at €25,000 a shot and trying apparently trying to hide same from the public , I would be all significant expenditure - especially for overseas trips and suchlike. I know because I have been there in other setups . You suffer when you highlight such happenings to the appropriate individuals /authorities.

I would expect that whatever INDEPENDANT company the Gov is using is going to be sent in to ‘examine ‘ RTE’s books -going back over a number of years - will pick a sample of such expenditures and examine them in sufficient detail. It’s task is being made all the easier because if irregularities/EXCESSIVE expenditure is found, the individuals responsible are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll be shot for this but anyway.

I don't think RT's salary demands weren't all that outrageous. Here's why I think that.

Kielty is getting €250k for the LLS. Nobody is jumping up and down saying he's getting too much for the gig. Seems to be the going rate. RT probably got similar money for doing the LLS. But people forget that RT had a second job, his radio show. Several of the top radio presenters are on over €200k for their radio shows. So, it looks like Tubs was paid the going rate. Many won't agree but I don't think I'm too far out.

Mr Bakhurst should immediately WRITE a signed letter to Renault , cancel the promotional arrangements made and refund any monies due unless there is an agreement IN WRITING and signed stating where that is not possible. One cannot be too careful/pedantic with these things so all angles should be covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

By that logic he’s underpaid as Joe Duffy gets circa €350,000 for radio and a handful of Meaning of Life shows.

It’s a disgrace! Tubs deserves more!

Your logic ignores the fact that ALL of them are outrageously overpaid to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How do you know what a top presenter should be paid? Where do you pluck the figures from?

I haven’t listened to it yet asks we not get a chance to do so until after 5pm today but here’s a podcast link about TSTM:

I never saw a silly season story deflate so quickly. Massive outrage. It’s like “golf gate” .

Maybe somebody else on less money could have brought in twice that. All you need is a pleasant engaging personality, simple corporate entertainment activities in Ireland and some experience in the area. Such corporate entertainment ideas such as go cart racing;, trekking,; horse riding, ;interesting walks re flora, fauna, geology, general history , built environment/ physical structure of an area, ; clay target shooting ; keynote speakers on topics of interest, museum visits come to mind. Can be organised as a package and attendance can cherry pick from the ‘menue’. Overnights /food/drinks can be part of the entertainment can be part of the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That is great to see. Irish people showing a bit of bottle for once. The tip-the-cap crew will be seething.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yep. They won't like it at all. The L'Oreal crew in RTE will be very upset They may think that they are worth it but the Irish people don't.

Regards...jmcc

Really?

I’ve been talking about how overpaid these people have been for years.

We’re a tiny country (basically the size of Manchester) and our “talent” compare themselves to the biggest stars in the UK and the US, when they should in fact be comparing themselves to regional radio in the UK and similarly sized European countries.

As for the “name” being the attraction, the Pat Kenny/Sean O’Rourke example proves that’s a myth.

As for advertising revenue, aligned to above, it’s the time slot as much as anything that drives this, not the host. Do you think ad. revenue grinds to a halt on the RT morning show for example when another host is in covering his many holidays? No, it doesn’t. Likewise, does the audience drop? We don’t have any evidence that suggests it does, but we may soon enough given RT’s enforced absence - they will make for an interesting read.

And that’s before we discuss the fact that on for example Liveline the only advertising most days is advertising for other RtE shows or “govt. of Ireland” ads. There’s a number of posters who post a list of the ads on the day’s show in the radio thread; it’s a regular occurrence that there are zero revenue generating ads for RTE on that show. To say that “only RT could bring in X ad revenue” is as ridiculous as Geraldine O’Leary’s belief that only she could have brought in the cumulative advertising revenue figure she quoted in the Oireachtas Committee MeetinG a few weeks ago. Regardless of who hosted the 9am RTÉ Radio 1 morning slot there would be advertising revenue attached to same.

Much earlier in the thread I offered a long list of suggestions to fix RTÉ, incl. salaries (not fees btw). If you’re that interested you can search it out.

Tubridy - along with many/most of his NKM colleagues - is massively overpaid relative to any actual discernible talent - 38 years in there and he still can’t do a basic interview. And that’s before he exposed himself as a morally corrupt, vacuous, lying fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Typical ‘dhhrift’ of the RTE 0905-1000 slot on radio.

Chew the fat for first 20 mins with excerpts from the newspapers and other media.

Bit of music

Interview some author flogging some book or media venture….another 20 mins. Sit back and let them talk.

Bit of a wrap up and general chaff.

€240k…. Thank u very much guv.+ plenty of time to turn the radio exposure into ‘gravy’.

Give the little butty fella a bell….Oh and keep flogging 51551

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m not surprised. I hope it’s a deliberate show of disdain by tge public and not a seasonal anomaly. Honestly we’re so used to having our taxes here pissed away on stupidity in general that we kind of accept it to a point however RTE have gone above and beyond. RTE are toxic at the moment and I think there’s a limited window to openly show the organisation I’d reforming and made less toxic but it can’t be done overnight but a few short sharp actions would signal a change in direction enough to reassure people. Instead we have KB off on his holliers and seemingly in bed with RT to the point he’s likely bringing him back in RTs terms! Why on earth would you pay a licence for that? Even if 50,000 people refuse to pay they can’t lock everyone up.

If someone wants to write a book on this then I’d definitely buy a copy.

And as Tubridy has proven, the host needs to commit zero hours to preparation for the radio show, just rock up and read the cue cards the researchers have provided for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Look what arrived in the post this morning

Good luck with getting a cent for it.

I'll pay when all the questions that need to be answered are answered, and there is real accountability.

I wouldn’t blame OC for tgst. The format was set by his predecessor. It’s what happens when you give a show to a lazy presenter. Any of us could waffle fir 20 minutes of a morning, be told what song to play and ask researcher prepared questions of an author. If he got €50,000 for that he’d be doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Neither am I.

Needs to be visible tangible change in that establishment to re-assure the taxpayer and licence payer- and soon.

One would have thought KB would have re worked the holidays given the seriousness of the situation as per his own

description.

RTE can’t be allowed to slip back into ‘black hole’ and silo and thus sink back into the old habits and mores.

Im afraid that it what is going to happen……

• Advertisement

A lean mean public service broadcasting machine.

No need for consultants to come up with something better. There’s a couple of hundred k saved.

Yeah it’s clear he literally doesn’t give a toss. I think the thing here though is that the public are directly asked to find the organisation by way of a licence. If this was the FAI or another organisation like Enterprise Ireland of some such semi-state there would be a fair likelihood that summer holidays would allow things to settle down and the lads to all get back to business as usual once the spotlight disappeared. With RTE however you’re deliberately instigating a transaction to hand over €160 of your personal money to them. That’s an entirely different matter. If RT comes back it wouldn’t be much worse if KB and the top brass drove around the country in a blunted out Rolls Royce drinking champagne and yelling Plebmobile and Bus Wänkers to every car and person they passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

It's grand saying that now, and a lot of people are saying it...and rightly so. But at the end of the day, you will pay it, makes no difference if its a euro a week, you will pay it...... because when you are standing in front of a judge and he tells you to pay it you will agree to it and the government knows this and so do RTE.

I hate paying the bloody thing as well but It's a law unfortunately and the vast majority of society adhere to the law.

They’re very true but I’d doubt TDS will want to be fielding calls on this or even facing irate punters when canvassing for the next election. They’ll get slated on so many things I’d doubt they’d want to add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

100%.....it you want change then hound the td at the next election....this has the possibility of getting a few people elected if they start looking at all the public service sector to see if any other people are wasting tax payers money.

Thinly veiled "I live in Dublin 4" post.

I'M JOKING BTW!!!!!!!!!! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Was it a win win for Renault though?

Every time I see a Renault now I'm reminded of this fiasco & the face of that long string of misery, I can not be the only one that now associates Renault with a flagrant waste of tax payer funding on corporate excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A proper public service broadcaster that people have trust in is worth going to jail for. But no-one will go to jail for non payment, otherwise there'd be riots on the streets. RTE and the government's bluff has been called. The government will be forced to fill the gap in funding, and let them worry about the shambles and accountability in RTE. At least general taxation is progressive.

It truly is astonishing that he's taking his holidays considering the crisis they are in. As I posted yesterday this simply wouldn't happen ion the private sector. RTE operate in some parallel universe.

• Advertisement

I suppose they’re damned by association but I see them as clients who got caught up in this mess. By all accounts they walked away from the 75k arrangement whether due to Covid or smelling a rat. I feel it’s more unfortunate for them than anything else. The really sad thing for them is they don’t seem to have benefited from this association in the last few years by way of extra sales. I’d go so far as to say that associating they’d brand with a travesty that was TLLS under RT actually damaged tge brand more than what’s happening now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement