Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I’d say Ryan wouldn’t want to do too much work, let alone 3 shows a day, for umpteen days. Perish the thought

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Omg go back to sleep you , you haven't a clue what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

IT begins its cover-up operations today with story about a PTSB survey indicating "strong engagement" from adults with our "trusted" and "fair" broadcaster. Somehow the IT forget to mention this research was conducted in Feb-March this year! Also notice how our intrepid newshound, Ciara O'Brien, has not spotted there's a story happening right now about multiple gov ministers (C. Martin, N. Collins (again!)) caught massively over-claiming their mileage expenses. 

[As an aside into how Ireland works - for this project PTSB engaged with Core, an marketing agency, whose Chairman of the Board is...   Patrick Coveney.] 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/07/18/irish-adults-continue-to-engage-strongly-with-news-media-research-shows/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Well Patrick might be able to give poor Rory a dig out so. I hear Rory had recently lost his job so at least he’d be an immediate start!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

TBH Gary Lineker's pay is unique even by BBC standards. I think he is on more than double what the next highest of the BBC Top10 are on. Reason is that MOTD is syndicated worldwide so much bigger than even the BBC. It is a global programme/brand rather than merely a UK one.

The other 9 of the BBC Top 10 are paid less than twice their RTE counterparts which is remarkable given the size difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You'd hope if the government is directly handing over the money, the government would take a much closer interest in RTE...But when RTE are heavily dependent on the government, you'd expect a more serious approach.

I don't really see why this should follow. IMO a move to direct exchequer funding will lead to an evaporation of public interest in the running of RTE and that will diminish pressure on the government to maintain close oversight. IMO it's more likely to see governments bunging RTE whatever funding they ask for to 'shut them up' and (hopefully in the mind of the government of the day) give them more favourable coverage...

• Advertisement

BBC runs at a profit, they could pay every one of the top earners 15m extra and still have loads of profit. So comparing with RTE, never mind the population difference, is wrong

IF, and its a massive IF, RTE ran at a profit they can pay whatever they like to their presenters.

Maybe but its going to fook up their cashflow for a few months.

Maybe this is all part of his installation.

This might have been a factor on installing him.

"Great KB booked a holiday months ago."

Perfect candidate as it slows the process down and kills the story.

Dail recess also. RTE constantly stalling and time wasting.

Its all part of the plan.

Problem is RTE will keep on spending and then go crying to the government

The government should tell them to f**k off till they sort their sh*t out. But they won't.

How many million are RTE burning on reports at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I haven't asked for Irish presenters to be paid on a pro-rata basis. I've even given you an example of why we can't use the pro-rata as the basis for pay proportional to the UK population. I'll post it again. Say a UK presenter is on £200k per year (which is probably a decent salary). Given that we are more than ten times smaller, are you suggesting our presenters should be paid less than £20k per year. Clearly that doesn't work.

What's your logic for not paying anyone more than €240k per year in RTE? You've come up with a figure but haven't said why you think that's the correct figure that anyone should be paid. I'm using Tubs as an example here but if he's doing two jobs, why shouldn't he be paid for the two jobs? And if your gripe is with Tubs, stick in a different presenter in there. Lets say presenter ButtersSuki. If ButtersSuki is doing two presenting jobs in RTE, wouldn't you expect to be paid for both? There's no money savings to be had for RTE because Tubs or ButtersSuki will do just the one job for €240k. I mean, why would you burst your hole doing two jobs for the pay for only one of them. And don't forget, someone else will have to be hired on similar money to do the LLS. Therefore RTE end up paying the same amount of money eitherways. The only difference is that it's split between two presenters and not one.

I also don't know why you are against the self-employed route for some of the presenters. If RT or any other presenters were made RTE employees on your max figure of €240k, then they are on that figure (and upwards taking into account pay rises etc.) until the day they retire. So, public service holidays, pensions, sick leave etc. Throw in all the public servant perks and that €240k goes northward very quick and it's essentially a job for life. If RTE decided to take Tubs off the air, then he'd still have to be paid that money. Easy to get rid of presenters at the end of their contracts if it's not working out. Nearly impossible to get rid of people from roles in semi-state bodies where they are almost the equivalent of public servants.

They can probably get Callan for less than 90% of Tubs fees, but clearly he is getting well paid for his work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can’t debate any of that.

I’ve been to Montreux though….but I paid for it myself!

You don’t get to pick the junkets you’re offered btw, as you allude to they decide what the junkets are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Joseph Schumpeter

Would you care to state your point more clearly and not in jibberish then?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@Loafing Oaf 12:51pm

I don't really see why this should follow. IMO a move to direct exchequer funding will lead to an evaporation of public interest in the running of RTE and that will diminish pressure on the government to maintain close oversight. IMO it's more likely to see governments bunging RTE whatever funding they ask for to 'shut them up' and (hopefully in the mind of the government of the day) give them more favourable coverage...

Yes, I too would see the the move from TV licence to government funding to result in public apathy ("ah sure what can you do?") as well as RTE becoming more of a Government mouthpiece.

On the first aspect one only has to look at the children's' hospital fiasco which dwarfs RTE excesses yet doesn't generate a huge amount of public outcry. This is because the public can't do anything about it whereas with RTE they can personally legally withhold funding (though this is about to change).

It is ironic, in my view, that the thing that was keeping RTE just a tiny bit accountable will now be taken away. The further irony is that this will be packaged up with other reforms of RTE and sold to the public as making things more accountable within RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If RTE's top earners including the on air "talent" were treated similar to other high earners in the public sector's..........let's go with Ronan Mullan's idea of approx €195k, does anyone seriously think they'd be a mass exodus from RTE to competitors in the Irish market or to the UK?

Joe Duffy, Claire Byrne, D'arcy (God help us) et al are going to walk away from a cushy number on the state broadcaster with all the perks that entails and go take up similar roles in the private sector where they will have to do more for less and with real pressure to perform.

Not a chance. Anyone in that industry would want to have a plumb, pretigious RTE position and most would happily accept realistic salaries to have it.

You are right, the company picks the junket. But in reality the company will pick based on what they think the customers wants. Is this the case in RTE? well it's very hard to tell. I doubt anyone been offered these events are going to say no. As it seems to be a total free for all.

• Advertisement

The Children hospital was a good idea. The problem was it was a shite location. From the moment the location was picked it was always going to be a disaster. But as you say the public can do nothing because we are so far into it we can't stop now. We need a childrens hospital as well

What we seem to lack in politicians is common sense. Like the metro to airport, we will be waiting for years and it will never get built. Yet an estimate was done to run the Luas out for about 400m. Not ideal I know but still a connection from airport to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

So it's all rugby, football and gaa junkets, no ballet or opera or how about a very cheap one for RTE a night out to the RTE symphony orchestra

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

It is not the idea of it but the management and decisions concerning its implementation that is the problem.

There have, of course, been other examples of excess in the health system, massive cost overruns and the like. Plus junkets and all the rest which aren't widely publicised.

I agree that there's a lack of common sense but this manifests itself in both poor decisions being made as well as letting situations slide until a crisis occurs.

This is why I think the individual's power as fee payer needs to be strengthened, rather than weakened as is the plan.

i’ll reply in detail later, but I will say again that I have reasons for the €240,000 cap previously.

As for your contention “it’s two jobs and wouldn’t I want to get paid for two jobs”, that’s a stretch. I couldn’t do 2 x my current jobs. I work 40 hours per week as a minimum, in fact it would be rare I’d do “just” 40. And to most reasonable people the radio and tv host roles are intertwined - it’s essentially one job, not two.

Tubs was contracted for 205 radio shows. They’re 53mins long (with breaks) and he does zero prep for these as any regular listener will testify to. That’s basically 5 weeks work for most people.

Throw in 38 LLS and that’s another 76 hours (with breaks), or less than 2 weeks for most people.. Let’s be generous and say he does 400 hours in total on that show between rehearsals for the toy show and prep 🙄 etc. So 10 weeks - and I’m being REALLY generous there.

So 15 weeks in man hours. I and most others work more than that from Jan - March.

if KB wants to tackle pay (and NK) he needs to say to Tubridy et al. “If you want to work in RTÉ from now on here are the terms and conditions: You’ll be contracted for X number of hours across radio and tv and your pay will be €240,000 and you’ll pay PAYE on that. And if you don’t want that, that’s fine, you can go elsewhere” or words to that effect. No-one is indispensable. No-one should be bigger than the master brand.

Apparently there’s a huge market for Tubs talents so if he wants to command top dollar he should have no end of suitors…..🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Do they not access your situation remotely like you can use similar technology to track somebodies Mobil e remotely with their agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The thing with Lineker is that while his wage is obscene for the work done it is paid out by an entity which is currently running a profit. There is also the idea of Lineker being a household name and one of Englands most famous and popular players. He has that national treasure angle to bargain his pay with. He has been there and done that so to speak. He was the guy who was never booked, a golden boot winner, the captain at Italia ’90. All of that is extremely marketable. The countries most popular sport, big audience figures as a consequence, a safe pair of hands with Lineker = pay dirt for him. He retired and moved in to a media career i.e. he wasn’t just plucked to present MOTD as he had experience broadcasting. The MOTD gig would have been deemed the top of his mountain. His luck kicked in when Lynam went to ITV and the MOTD gig became available. His image, likeability and marketability landed it for him. Like Tubridy his agent would also seek to maximize earnings for their client and the BBC were willing to stump up to land a household name. There is always that balancing act going on between client and broadcaster. Lineker ran afoul of this with his recent criticism of the government. A truce happened once people sided with Lineker but when it comes time to renew contracts, and Linekers image damaged in some quarters, then the option to replace him is there. Lineker himself knows he is on thin ice and the Saturdays of milk and honey might well end. With RTE and their highest paid presenter then it is different. Tubridy has no extensive experience outside of RTE (I’ll ignore the stint at the BBC). He had experience with Tubridy Tonight and his Late Late salary was a continuation of the level given to Kenny who actually had decades of experience. Tubridy effectively landed on his feet, right place right time to coin it for himself. The difference with Lineker is that RTE is losing money hand over fist while paying obscene money. With Tubridys image now having taken a hit then it makes no sense for him to return and coin it like he once did particularly taking losses into account when making such a decision.

No, people do turn them down for a variety of reasons (can’t be bothered, no interest, have other plans, don’t want to go because a certain other person will be there, lots of valid reasons, conflict of interest etc. etc.) . I know of many who have turned down junkets for lots of reasons - some companies actually forbid acceptance of same.

junkets are never tailored to what people/customers want - that’s not how they work. They’re a mass market type-thing, not catered to individual needs. And you don’t “request” a junket, you’re invited to a specific event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100% agree. 200k is a very generous cap for the hours they do. It's not the 35 in the public sector.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus if Lineker left the BBC, there would be a queue of people lining up to offer him better money.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement