Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beekeeping chit chat

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

One swarm caught this morning, 6 other boxes being scouted.

It's like everyone after lockdown, first day out and everyone will be on The move today.

First day that's been a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Danzy wrote: »
    One swarm caught this morning, 6 other boxes being scouted.

It's like everyone after lockdown, first day out and everyone will be on The move today.

First day that's been a cracker.

Where are you based Danzy? I have one in the same spot as last year but no interest yet.

The site is in Cork City.

I've boxes set up in a town in North Cork and not a scout seen.

There hives are more like ones in early April, in make up, activity etc.

Danzy wrote: »
    The site is in Cork City.

I've boxes set up in a town in North Cork and not a scout seen.

There hives are more like ones in early April, in make up, activity etc.

I have boxes on the garage roof. Do you only put boxes on your own property/land? I was tempted to put one in a hedgerow next to the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Mad Benny wrote: »
    I have boxes on the garage roof. Do you only put boxes on your own property/land? I was tempted to put one in a hedgerow next to the canal.

I have traps in my apiary + on the roof of the back garden shed. But I use spare nucs for traps, so I do not want to lose them. But you can make some cheaper traps and put them in different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No idea if this is a bargain or not but spotted this Amazon deal on hotukdeals and might be of use to someone here?

Bees & Co Cotton Beekeeper Suit, Natural White, Large £26.52

Some other sizes medium and XXXL under £30.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spacecowboy30

If this is not the correct place to post this query could someone please redirect it?

there is an apiary near our property in a rural location. There are about 11 or 12 hives in the apiary which is about 40 or 50 ft from our back garden. The bee keeper does not live locally and does not seem to regularly tend the bees. We have lived here for 12 years and the hives have been there for most of that time AFAIK although there may have been less of them previously.

I have made my concerns known to the beekeeper and he has acknowledged them but has never done anything to fix the situation. Every year some or many of us get stung - we are a family with young children. Two of our children have needed medical care following stings - one to A&E due to facial swelling and another time one of my children was off school for several days due also to facial swelling. In both cases it took days for the swelling to subside and both needed medication.
    Sometimes we are stung by a number of bees at a time in our back garden. Always, they just come out of nowhere and seem determined to lose their lives! Visitors - kids and adults - to our garden have been stung, some multiple times. Our pet dogs have been stung multiple times and have required emergency veterinary care and medication on two occasions. The bees seem to be very aggressive. We don't go near the hives obviously. Sometimes we can hear the bees from our garden, but not always.
    On a few occasions we have seen the bees swarm, which to the lay person, who has had the above experience of bees, is quite frightening.

After the beekeeper has inspected the hive it can take the bees 2 or 3 days to 'settle down'. While he is working with the bees we can forget about leaving the house and in those days afterwards we have to stay in the house for a lot of the time. Sometimes we pack up and leave because otherwise we are just locked in for the day.

I completely understand the importance of bees for the environment. And I appreciate that this is a really fulfilling hobby. And I do know the difference between a wasp and a bee for anyone who may suggest that it is the former that we are having trouble with!
    When I see pictures of calm hives being tended by beekeepers with no gloves (!) it doesn't feel representative of how we have experienced living beside hives. Incidentally, the beekeeper gets stung multiple times when he goes near his hives even though he is wearing the protective suit and gloves etc.

We don't know what to do about the situation. We have spoken to the beekeeper and he has acknowledged what we tell him but it never goes beyond this. Can anyone offer any advice please?

The beekeeper should be insured. If you ask for their insurance details they will take your concerns seriously.

Please don't use petrol. The problem can be easily solved by moving the bees to a more suitable location.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mad Benny wrote: »
    The beekeeper should be insured. If you ask for their insurance details they will take your concerns seriously.

Please don't use petrol. The problem can be easily solved by moving the bees to a more suitable location.

That would be killing the bees for the actions of their miscreant owner. Hardly fair! There has to be other courses of action.

If there's any other beekeepers/beekeepers group locally, they may be able to help. Otherwise, bees are livestock and the Dept of Ag. may be able to help. Or Teagasc, as I understand they have some involvement in Beekeeping.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't go the petrol route! I will see if I can find any information relating to the Dept of Agriculture. They may be able to help. We need to do something as it can't continue like this. Communicating with the beekeeper doesn't help in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

greysides wrote: »
    If there's any other beekeepers/beekeepers group locally, they may be able to help. Otherwise, bees are livestock and the Dept of Ag. may be able to help. Or Teagasc, as I understand they have some involvement in Beekeeping.

There is nothing that any of those can do. They have zero authority in this regard.

I think asking the bee keeper and the land owner for insurance details will send a clear message.

He sounds like an awful pric8 and a bad handler of bees.

<Mod snip>

Certainly making a complaint to the Guards about it, just to send a message, maybe a solicitor letter. It shows that your looking at resolving this. It's not a criminal offence, probably, but who would want a Guard calling to the door.

It would be tough on the bees but..

If they are taking 2 or 3 days to settle down after inspection, that's a volatile and angry apiary, whether by handling or breeding.

I've a dozen hives out back in my home apiary and would requeen any hive like those quickly.

Mod: Until someone convinces me otherwise, those bees are someone's property. Suggesting killing them is akin to shooting cattle that stray. Sounds like the owner needs a come-upance but it would be best to have a legal basis, and certainly if it's suggested here, it better have a legal basis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There is nothing that any of those can do. They have zero authority in this regard.

You're most likely correct but if the people working in those institutions are "bee people" they may have useful contacts.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't go the petrol route! I will see if I can find any information relating to the Dept of Agriculture. They may be able to help. We need to do something as it can't continue like this. Communicating with the beekeeper doesn't help in this situation.

The local beekeeper association will probably know who he is, either directly or indirectly.

Passing a message that a solicitor's letter is to be expected, along with recovery of damages may get his attention. Should he ignore it, then this route may be an option.

Generally, the case law with animals is that if they cause damage, the owner is responsible. There is a niche body of case law with regards to bees, but it follows the general rule. So long as you aren't going at the hives, you have the right to enjoy your garden in peace. Something to consider - you'd need a good solicitor though and one who was familiar with animal related tort.

The department probably won't do anything but a complaint (include the location of the field and the number of hives) is free to make and starts to create a chain of evidence.

Don't go near the bees - two wrongs don't make a right, they just help solicitors upgrade their German cars.

One thought about the Dept: They would be responsible for looking out for bee diseases (Variola mite/ Asian hornets) and, at the risk of showing my ignorance, if the right person were contacted, maybe a hive inspection could be an excuse for waking this up....

(It can happen like that with cattle.)

Adam Grant

No, we have no intention of going near the hives to cause damage or otherwise. I would rather go the reporting route and see if that can set something in motion to change things. Our lives are miserable because of this situation as we are constantly (during the active bee season) trying to make judgements on whether or not it is safe to go outside.

It is very unfair on the children as they have had to make a lot of adjustments at short notice if it isn't possible to play in the garden.

I appreciate all of the advice.

greysides wrote: »
    One thought about the Dept: They would be responsible for looking out for bee diseases (Variola mite/ Asian hornets) and, at the risk of showing my ignorance, if the right person were contacted, maybe a hive inspection could be an excuse for waking this up....

(It can happen like that with cattle.)
    It's very much the wild west out there with bees. Pretty much the only thing they would look into is antibiotics in honey otherwise they dont want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Tell him you need his Insurance details to cover the veterinary bills.
    If he is a FIBKA member he should have insurance through them. I don’t know anyone who has had to claim through that but either his premium will go up or FIBKA will tell him to cop on and move them.
    If he’s not insured threaten legal action (for expenses and stress)if he doesn’t move them.

Dept of agriculture is all voluntary unless you report a disease in hive or in his honey

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9e1ff-beekeeping-honey/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Opened up a queenless hive today to kill of the Queen cells and found this.
    Killed them off a they were hybrids.
    Would have been a whopper of a queen if she was right.
    Hives belong to someone else but on my land.

Wow

• Advertisement

Those arent viable, don't know why hives make them

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DonkeyDick1992

hi I am just wondering if anyone would have any idea on how to remove a hive in our attic? the queen has left the hive and swarmed a few days ago. we had a local bee keeper out to look and he has told us the heat over last week had melted the honey and all the combs dropped, as a result the honey is running down the walls, he recommends to kill all the bees and then remove is there any way to entice the bees to leave before we remove the combs, I read on google that cinnamon may be good to try get them to leave before we try clean up the mess

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Is there still a honey flow in your area? Reckon it's close to complete here in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

you're both replying to a post from 2021

Advertisement