Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood on strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Disney lost 900m on the last film releases.

It's the back catalogue which is keeping them afloat, not the new films. Which if I was an investor I can sell for millions to netflix with zero overhead. Unless you have new movies pushing new users then it is pointless. More profit just to sell out.

Cinema is the main source of income and because of covid everyone went to online but they have to revert but Disney needs a long hard look at itself. I took 7 kids to the Elemental film last week. After 30 mins most came up asking if they could leave.

Disney can't last long without generating revenue from films and new films.

To be honest the Marvel films died with Iron Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

"Disney loses 900 million" is a very charged statement.

If you google it, nearly every result contains the Phrase "Woke Disney" and they all specifically refer to Lightyear, the Little Mermaid and GOTG. (and maybe 1 or 2 others).

It means that in the last year they lost 900m on what they thought they'd earn on those titles. Like TLMM broke even, but they were expecting to make 250m on that and they didn't. so that's being marked incorrectly as a loss by sensationalist new services.

Titles such as Thor L&T, Dr Strange MoM, Spiderman No-Way home (which pulled in nearly 2 Billion at the Box Office) are not not included in the 900 lost list. (That being said NWH was Dec 2021)

If you take into account all the Titles that Disney Studios made in the last year, they still made money, they didn't lose money

It's Ying and Yang, you can't have the all the products, toys and theme parks without the movies. and even if the movies flop, they represent less than 20% of the revenue stream to to company like Disney.

And you're correct, MCU died with Tony :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Hardly a "charged statement". If you expect to make money from the films and instead dont it hits the overall company. If Disney plan is to go woke or political correct then off they go.

Disney+ which is the main point of the discussion is losing 600m+

We have Amazon, Netflix, Disney, Hulu, etc etc etc all as streaming services trying to build a market which was highly profitable when Netflix was the only show in town.

It's not sustainable. Hence why the actors/writers at the bottom of the chain are bene cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with them striking, they need to ensure they're not going to be fooked over by AI and lac of residuals. But I just can't help but get angry and the A-Listers bigging it up. Ok, grand, it's bringing more of a bang to the whole thing, but it just feels so fake imo. Saw an article recently where the cast of Oppenheimer walked out of the London premiere "in solidarity". The picture used was the main cast and it made me chuckle as to how much more the writers and other actors could have got if there wasn't over $15 million of the budget in that 1 photo of 6 people. Nolan is $20 million just to hire and he has sweet deals on top, like 20% of Dunkirks takings. Murphy got $5 million and no doubt some residuals and most likely some profit from takings. Even if he "just" got $4 million, that million would pay a lot more to the other actors/writers.

I just hate seeing the rich "stand up" for those beneath them when they've already their money made from the crappy system up until now. The words of Mark Ruffalo, net worth $35 million, sure are useful. And he's someone who actually worked hard to get the breakthrough. But still, it stings coming out of his mouth. Out of any of the A-listers mouths tbh.

Like RTE, I'd love to know who and how they come up with these figures that actors are worth. I'm 100% in support of this strike, I just hate seeing A-Listers jump on board because I doubt most of them actually care.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They're not jumping on board or showing solidarity though, they're in the union. At the Oppenheimer premiere, the actors literally had to leave because the strike was confirmed/announced while they were there. It's union rules.

The thing about A-listers actually on the picket lines could be viewed a few different ways; maybe they actually do care about other people regardless of how much they themselves earn and joining the picket is pretty much the very least they can do to show that, or you could also assume the worst that their presence might force studios to make a deal quicker and the actors can get back to earning obscene amounts of money and pat themselves on the back.

Personally I'd say it's a lot more of the former. I mean you mention about how much more the other writers and actors could have made if not for the main actors wages, however the far more likely scenario is that that money just wouldn't have been included in the budget by the studio. The studio isn't going to suddenly spread out extra money not spent among the rest of the cast and crew, they'll just take the money back (or more likely it wouldn't have been allowed for to begin with as these things would have been agreed in advance).

It's like I said earlier, if you focus more on the A-listers and big earners, it'll completely distort your view because in "Hollywood", they're by far the minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree, I just don't like them jumping on board and pretending they don't have it cushy no matter the outcome. Didn't know that about the premiere, most what I read indicated they walked out in solidarity, didn't know they basically had to. Just galls me when the highest paid butt in, in any situation.

Using my example above, the cast for Oppenheimer is allegedly at 128 (presuming they're not including extras here). Of those, 6 are responsible for over $15 million. If even just Cillian Murphy, RDJ and Emily Blunt took a $1 million less deal, they're still coming out with $4/3 million respectively, a fine payday and not even finished there as they will definitely have crazy good residual and profit deals. That's $3 million they could put towards the other 122 actors. Ok, I'll round it down to about 100 actors if we exclude the slightly famous ones who were paid more than the minor cast members. That's an average of $30k per actor. That's just shy of my full year working basic salary. That's just with $3 million. Nolan could have taken $17 million as a base salary and done the same.

I just don't like rich people speaking from their on-high sandboxes when their salaries/wages are part of the problem they're speaking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Again though, if the main actors took a lower fee, that doesn't mean that excess money would go to the rest of the cast/crew. It just wouldn't be included in the budget of the film. That money would just be kept by the studio. The A-list actors negotiate their higher wages usually based on both their abilities and suitability for the role, but also their marketability, how well they can advertise the film, how much they can draw audiences. Hiring them for those 10's of millions is based on the studio believing they will bring in more than double that, compared to an lesser-known actor.

I'm not saying they're not hugely overpaid, but they are also human; ones who know what it was like as a struggling actor. Just because they don't need the money or protections the unions are fighting for, doesn't mean they're completely unaffected by it either in terms of wanting to help fight for those things for other people, because ultimately it's the studio's responsibility to provide those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

I think it’s a bit rich all these Hollywood movie stars protesting with the workers while they’re on pay checks of 5M+ per movie. Colin Farrell, Ron Perlman blaming the boogie man who pays them their exorbitant salaries. 

Are they willing to work for equal pay themselves, say, 20k per movie to put them on a level pegging with the workers who can’t pay their rent supposedly? It’s easy to blame the guy at the top and then not take a commensurate pay cut yourself and blame “the studios” or the executives. 

Truth be told the Hollywood movie stars are hypocrites. They happily take money given to them and then condemn it when a strike occurs. They are the reason their co-workers are on so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But those people who act for a living seem very sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

super oppressed millionaire actor wants to be paid properly because she has to wear a costume or something, you would have some sympathy perhaps for people at the bottom of the chain bur miss entitled not so much

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Residuals affect actors from the bottom to the top. Firstly, Zegler isn't that big a name so I doubt she's making crazy money for it. Secondly plenty of actors do take lower salaries based on the possibility of the movie being a hit and the residuals being where they make their money. Then the less big actors also get residuals so that's tiding over a lot of actors. It's also guaranteeing actors get something a bit fairer.

Streaming has flipped that model on its head. So a film can end up more profitable for a studio based on subscriptions to see certain movies but those who made the movie get cut out of the equation.

But sure, don't think about the logic of the actor's point and just get perpetually outraged. Highly recommend people check the kind of batshit content that account posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They will sort something out eventually and TBH I doubt this strike is even on most peoples radar because they have their own bills to pay and it doesn't affect their everyday lives unlike a strike in health or education.

Thought Murphy would be on a bigger salary than 4 million, he is around a long time and an established actor.

she shouldnt have made it about her was the point, bad look. The market is going to go where the market goes, in the past a film could have a good or bad run but then become a big hit as a video , physical media, they have cut their receipts to cinema and streaming essentially

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The only accounts I'm seeing that are really fixating on her are the kind of accounts that likely blew when a black woman was cast for the Little Mermaid. So doubt she's particularly concerned or should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read an interesting piece online about how if you are an extra in a film, the studios can pay you a couple of hundred dollars now to 'scan' you and re-use 'you' for free in future crowd scenes. So, you make your couple of hundred quid but then that's it, even though your image could appear in literally hundreds of films.

All the better for the studio if you manage to make it big after your 'crowd member' days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Hopefully theyll do the same with an army of actors and singers and presenters.

These complete empty-heads getting treated like gods on earth, for looking a certain way and/or having a good voice.

Like your typical pop act, its just a random bum born with a certain selection of traits, and these traits aren't even that far off the norm, and are just superficial, serving no real function outside of pop media.

Its just low importance traits, but the same traits are widely appealing, and this individual happens to have been born in the era of mass media, and so can be used by a studio to gather up a tide of low grade interest, for their low talent. And this can be monetized, so the studio can budget to keep hyping and pushing these otherwise mediocre individuals, with their manufactured attitudes and lifestyles, in our faces as some kind of ideal. So everyone has to live with what appeals to the moron market.

Then the star will eventually start to believe their own bs and start proselytizing to us mere normie mortals with their air-head takes, while living detached from the struggle of normal life, where you find the real stars, the real heros, and the people who do actually have deep things to say.

In other cases the studio and pr industry will do this for them, the talent being embroiled in manufactured petty nonsense with other talents, and we'll all get to hear about it, instead of real news.

I'm hoping for technology to completely undermine the basis of the cheap plastic popstar/film star through massive supply and industry saturation. If there are 1000 channels of singing bimbos/himbos then they'll all get their appropriate pay, which I'd put at around fast food delivery driver pay.

by her own account she calls herself a working class actor however she describes her working year as doing as doing 3 episodes a year where she might get 5-8K per episode. I dont see the problem, this is a part time side gig that might turn into something if she becomes popular. Otherwise she should be leveraging this to make extra money or have a separate job that pays the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Wow you really seem to despise actors. The main Union published stats that had 95% of its membership were on the average workers wage. They are the ones that are being threatened with being replaced by AI not the Tom Cruises of the world.

It seems that because Hollywood is defined to be Left that some observers seem to want to be against the strike even though those most affected are working class actors and production staff. Support the studio exec if you want over the workers, but don't pretend you are doing otherwise.

There's an element of people celebrating the death of creative endeavours tbh. AI writing might get away with working for some marvel stuff but beyond that, it would just amount to absolute ****. AI acting, ya that's just gonna be bad for foreseeable. The absence of humanity in a live action movie sounds atrocious.

I have encountered youtubers welcoming the strike thinking all the woke writers will be let go and only talented non woke writers will be left. Its wishful thinking. You will just be left withsoulless scripts like the worst of the worst manufactured pop and only writers and actors who are independently wealthy only being able to work in industry and nepotism in Hollywood will only get worse. Either way the working class actors and writers will really struggle.

• Advertisement

I think most people realise that AI content doesnt stir the emotions, being impressed with the work of people involved is what engages people. If its used as a tool to create backgrounds etc or in anime to cut down the production costs and you dont obviously see it on screen it should be ok. If you call p0rn work that might be decimated lol

its nothing to do with left/right. its my own observation, if others think similarly then it irrelevant to me.

i don't despise actors, i just see an irregularity. i see relatively low skills and hugely disproportionate pay, not just for actors but any media darling.

the market says they deserve such huge and disproportionate pay, for now, and i can foresee technology hopefully changing the market.

if the situation happens to come about so that engineers and doctors are getting paid more than some pretty face reading lines or singing a song then ill be happy.

i dont see any reason outside of present day market dynamics that some lad up on a roof, or a surgeon, or a professor should be paid less than someone reading to a camera.

If 95% of actors are on average wage then proper order. Thats what they should get. Hope the other 5% can join them. Along with presenters and singers, and hosts. If I can walk into a room and do your job to some functional standard then in a more just world you probably should be on something like average wage.

thats another bunch i hope gets bankrupted by tech, onlyfans types. some of them are out of place in the natural ecology. shagging on camera is a low effort/no effort job - no skills beyond having sex organs, they should probably get paid enough to get by on, but ive heard of some getting thousands weekly.

only the pure chance of being at the right place at the right time has given them power in the market, and hopefully that will change.

$100 and a line and a taxi fare home. thats natures balance. its where they belong. we've messed with the natural order.

Their skill is in generating revenue through their films. You think an actor lesser than Tom Cruise would have created a Mission impossible franchise? Or AI would be able to do that. You may want actors to be on average wages but the revenues they create currently will just go into the pockets of Studio execs. Millions are generated through the entertainment industry, perhaps you just want that to go to the businessmen instead of the writers or actors.

I agree that Doctors and engineers should be rewarded more but the idea that everyone can write or act in movies to the same ability is a bit deluded.

Yeah, I want it to go to the execs and the shareholders. At least some of the execs will have studied and hustled and worked 9-5 year in year out. The shareholders will have normal workers among them too.

The himbos and bimbos are but 1 small cog in a machine. That machine had a golden era in which the market became very focused, so that 1 cog was very important, and got itself an undeserved god complex.

But now the market is starting to expand and such production and marketing machines are growing in number, as the market demands more options. The talent aspect will become more and more commonplace. And hopefully there will be 1 million flavors of generic entertainer, and a hyper segmented market.

The quality to reward ratio is just way out of whack. I could write some of the pop songs I have to hear in work in under 5 minutes, awful shyte, but I have to hear these songs, and I have to hear the nonsense about the airheads who perform them, because circumstances have conspired to make the entertainment industry work that way for now - today.

The 'talent' which I see and hear is held up by an artificial system, the talent itself isn't surviving through any exceptional ability, its surviving because it meets the marketing criteria. Talented artists are plentiful. What we hear and see in pop media though is not so much chosen for talent, but for other reasons, they make a good face for this market or that market - they fit the focus groups profile, so they'll sell. Which is fine, thats business, but I don't have to like the end product, or its cynical production method, and I can welcome the tech changes which are going to break this model.

Pre-modern entertainment industry wages are what the present day star really deserves, its just the machine which lifted them up. And now as the machine becomes outdated I hope they're on their way back down to 3 stage performances a day for room and board and pocket money. Thats where they belong naturally, organically. They're basic really, if you look past the hype, like the royal family - just some asshles who landed on their feet.

This may be the case for generic boybands, I'm sure you could join one of those( or girlband, if youare female) but i doubt you could sing like sinead o connor could, despite your inflated ego.

You do realise those execs may have been given their jobs by their mammy and daddy and that all parts of the entertainment are not meritocratic.

You just sound like another worker that want all the rewards to go to the millionaires and don't want anyone from a working class background to get rich from their raw talent whether it be thrpugh writing, acting or achievements in sport.

I cant sing like sinead oconnor but there are a great many who can.

'talent' is going back where it belongs. and deservedly so. spoiled asholes.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, regarding many sounding like Sinead O'Connor. But continue to cheer for the executives over the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can SAG actors still attend festivals and comic cons etc., or is that now allowed?

• Advertisement

I heard somewhere they could attend but not promote their current or forthcoming work.

Advertisement