Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

In fairness the world is over populated anyway, so they are doing us all a favour

Great to see private companies stepping up and doing their bit. In this case, DPD, who have installed 512 solar panels, for a 1.3MW array on their central hub in Athlone. They will also have deployed 200 EV vans and will be using HVO on their linehaul routes for their heavy trucks

This ties into their project to fully decarbonise their fleet by 2030

Not sure HVO counts but they are on the right track. No doubt they'll ditch HVO in time and go with EV/hydrogen for their heavier trucks

One I'm personally familiar with, in Roscommon, an 80MW solar farm has just been granted planning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

just my tupence worth but I can’t see immigration ever turning back to “normal” levels again.

Even if Russia fcuked off back to their own country we will have millions of Enviromental immigrants coming to a safe haven like Ireland for the foreseeable.

The problem with this is our absolutely shite planning system that won’t allow us to build world class transport or housing quickly enough.

So we will end up with massive overcrowding and pressure on public systems until we overhaul the planning system. Unfortunately this wall all be blamed on the people that come to our country looking to build a new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you have misunderstood the statistics. The downside of biomass is displacement, I.e., the net emissions are zero from the actual combustion but there are other hidden fossil fuel emissions or the capacity of the land to hold carbon is diminished as a result of harvesting. If this is true (and it probably is) extra emissions will show up somewhere else in the figures. The exception is if biomass is imported from outside the European Union. For this another measure will be required - that’s why the border tax is needed -.

• Advertisement

Looks like the various plans and actions lined up to reduce emissions are going to be scaled up and sped up

This follows on from the EPA's report on our emissions reduction progress to date

At the current rate, we're going to use up the allotted amounts in the national carbon budget (2021-2025) ahead of time, which means way more drastic actions will be required for the 2026-2030 period as any missing will get added onto that period for as additional reductions which must be achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Can they not just ban "biomass" from outside the EU, cutting down trees in the US, Canada or LatAm to ship across Atlantic to burn for electricity is a nonsense in anyone's book and no dodgy accounting of emissions can camouflage that fact

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dear Ireland: random, topical, cautionary anti-green tale,

-merica

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have no difficulty understanding the statistics.

My difficulty is why you as someone who see no difficulty with the E.U. hitting its target while 60% of it`s green energy is from biomass, will not answer the question if you believe or not that we should be doing the same. Using biomass to the same degree where we would have all our electricity alone classified by the E.U as 100% green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I know this is the UK but I presume the same is happening here. I heard recently that an EV BMW had some issue and was out of warranty, €10k bill to sort it and only BMW can do it due to some proprietary stuff being involved. Ya'd want a manufacturer warranty on any second hand EV. At least with ICE parts are relatively cheap and anyone could, in theory, fix it

• Advertisement

One person succeeded in bringing down man’s carbon footprint significantly and he was ghengis khan, the fact that Ireland and the rest of the world want to over populate to fuel business and pensions is the cause of global warming

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Rest assured. All the major players are operating on a (western) global scale to make sure the rules are set to make maximum profits for private companies. This is the way it has worked ever since the banking system got its act together in the 1910s and solidified after ww2 in the UN charter(set up by the Rockefeller foundation), the World Bank, IMF, the EU, WHO, WEF. Countries might decide to de-privatize companies and make them state owned but then the question is: who pays? In other words, where does the country borrow its money for that with all the terms and conditions attached? No need to give the obvious answer there.

I would like to give you the benefit of doubt. Literally. There is a widening array of alternative views concerning climate change that is not in line with the proposed 'consensus', starting w the question: consensus about WHAT exactly. I take it you have made your mind up about climate change some time ago and decided not to spend any more time to look at alternative views. That is understandable given the vast output which seems to lean heavily to one direction only. However, i would urge you to start watching the Tom Nelson podcast on Youtube. I would chance to say it challenges anyone who claims certainty about the impact of climate change. Distinguished scientists like Will Happer, Richard Lindsen, Steve Koonin, Judith Curry et al make thoughtful presentations not easily dismissed by even those high up the ladder in climate science.

Just give it a try..☺.

Here's one with Judith Curry. You cannot imagine anyone nicer..

https://youtu.be/pQvo0Id_4Tw

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can you propose a feasible way to do this? As things stand, I think the current strategy (wind and solar) is feasible and what you are suggesting is not feasible at all.

Personally I think Biomass is a cod as there's still far too much emissions from it.

That being said, the conditions the EU put on it ensure its better than the fossil fuel alternative. The lesser of 2 evils approach I guess. They are tightening up on it and the criteria will get narrowed further and further over time to the point that it will be unviable except for a few locations

I can't even imagine what 50 degrees must be like. I'm in bits at half that

The "new normal", oh what a world

Temperatures went over 50C (122F) in parts of the US and China on Sunday.

The World Meteorological Organization warned the heatwave in Europe could continue into August.

Millions around the world are under heat advisories as officials warn of danger to life from the hot temperatures.

Night-time in Europe and the US is not expected to bring widespread relief as temperatures stay above 30C in places including Arizona or southern Spain.

The electrification of the bus fleet looks to be speeding up.

The NTA board has recently approved the ordering of an additional 210 buses from Wrightbus for delivery in 2024 under the framework agreement. This is in addition to the 120 ordered in June 2022, and the 91 ordered in Dec 2022. This brings to 421, the total number of electric buses due to enter service during the next 24 months. In other words, within two years, about a third of our urban bus fleet will already be zero-emission.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We saw a minority of Dr's talk against the majority when it came to Covid. We've seen it in relation to scientists and the climate. We see it much less in engineering where there's much more measurable metrics and mathematical proof to support theories and decisions. Where we did see some of this type of contrary view in the face of overwhelming evidence was around the time of the 9/11 attacks and those people have rightly, mostly been put in the category of conspiracy theories.

How would you feel if I asked you to walk in a particular direction until you came back to where you started and so would have proven that the earth was round. Or even to watch videos of people claiming that it is flat (they exist)? Would you entertain me, or say that that was nonsense and no one needs to investigate everything themselves.

Because those sort of people are exactly what I was talking about when I said that I'd be fine leaving them talking to their own circle. That video has been watched less than 6K times in 4 months. Conservative media worldwide is largely against any action to protect the environment whether it is GB News, The Daily Mail, Fox News, etc etc. Why haven't them pointed people to this evidence that you suggest disproves what it is that climate scientists say is happening?

Why hasn't the fossil industry, the absolute financial behemoth that it is, taken 'distinguished scientists' as you identify these people and given them a platform?

Do you really believe that with a wealthy industry that wants to ensure it can continue to operate for as long as possible, and a media that dominates the landscape and supports said industry, is somehow being prevented from amplifying the message that you think that we should be paying attention to.

Surely you can see that that makes no sense. Less so when you think of the support Conservative Governments typically give these bodies to operate as they do.

Why do you think that professionals, who spend their lives analysing, testing, measuring on repeat would all come together to suggest a consensus in a specific manner? It doesn't make sense unless you are looking for ways to ignore what it is they are saying.

P.S. One of the distinguished people you refer to has tried to suggest that smoking and lung cancer are only weakly linked. Another one of them was chief scientist for BP for a number of years.

How so. The E.U. is crediting biomass as providing 60% of the blocs green energy, so how would it not be feasible here as well ?

We are already using it in the generation plant in Edendery which is going to be using 100% biomass by next year according to Bord na Mona, even if AnTaisce says the EU rules that the environmental impact assessment was relying on "incorrectly treats" the burning of biomass as "carbon neutral" But if it ticks the EU accountancy box for us reaching their target then why should we worry.

I`m not sure you really understand what feasibility means with you somehow under the impression that a €200 Billion investment in offshore wind and hydrogen alone is feasible for a country with a population of 5 million.

Smokestack emission tests from burning wood show carbon emissions 2.5 times greater than gas, and 30% greater than coal, so yeah I agree it is a cod. Not one the EU is exactly falling over themselves to do anything about though. In Feb.2023 negotiations between the Commission and Parliament collapsed in deadlock.

They are all in a forked stick with biomass. Recognise it for what it is as regards carbon emissions and that 60% credited as green energy takes a tumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Biomass is a scam. Denmark, a golden haired child of the renewables transition, gets two thirds of its "renewable" energy from biomass. In principle, biomass is net zero emission. In practice, it is only zero emission if the biomass source is sustainable ... and it isn't. Denmark's consumption of wood chips from forestry in the Baltics, USA, Canada and Russia is three times what can be sustainably grown worldwide. The scam is that it doesn't dent Denmark's green credientials -- the emissions for burning biomass are counted against the producer, not the consumer of the biomass. Otherwise Denmark's total emissions would be between a third and a half higher than accounted.

The sneaky fact behind Denmark's emissions reductions so far is that it has used CHP (combined heat and power) from biomass plants for district heating. That double benefit to both electricity and space heating can't be achieved by replacing woody biomass with wind power as some are calling for. Meanwhile, the amount of carbon stored in Europe's forests has been declining year on year.

Interestingly, half of all Danes don't even know what biomass is:

Fortunately, popular support for nuclear power is increasing:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Just from a personal point of view. I had a wood burning stove. Great heat from it but hated cleaning it etc and storage of wood etc. Swapped it for a room heater wood pellet stove. Now it can burn for a week and only use a small amount of pellets and a small amount of dust. The same from the wood burning stove was a lot more wood and a lot more dirt

No idea what that means to atmosphere. Maybe it is worse but I would expect it is better

Especially when it is on a timer and it only runs when I want, plus it regulates the temp so the room stays at a certain temp. The wood stove the room could be like an oven and then go freezing again unless you kept it going.

Based on my own personal usage I would say it is better

P.S. sorry if I took you up wrong but biomass is used for a lot of things and I use for wood pellet stoves as they seem to cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Two documents published this month scare the crap out of me.

• Eirgrid published their "Shaping Our Electricity Future Roadmap Version 1.1" (link)
    • DECC published their (two years late) "National Hydrogen Strategy" (pdf link)

Sleepy Ryan assures us in the forward to the latter document that "over the past number of years, I’ve been closely following the rapid development of renewable hydrogen technology globally". (Might explain some of his plane flights?). But both documents read like head-in-the-clouds aspirational efforts with huge uncertainties attached. Nobody knows how a so-called "hydrogen economy" can be bootstrapped from a standing start. All they know is that they'll have to begin with polluting grey hydrogen and incentivise early adopters with government (translation: public) money.

The Eirgrid document reads as if someone was told to come up with the right answer, but has little idea how it can be achieved. It talks about unprecedented scale, planning challenges, and the mandate to connect renewables wherever they decide to popup. Read this and tell me it's not anticipating the finger-pointing that will ensue when it inevitably all goes pear-shaped:

The scale of the challenge is without precedent. EirGrid and SONI, as the operators of the grid, will play a key role, but we cannot deliver on the Renewable Ambition on our own. This is a target that will require change across the electricity sector and beyond. There needs to be action from electricity generators and developers, from regulators, from government, from ESB Networks, NIE Networks, and from large-scale energy users. Timely planning decisions, availability of the road network for underground cables and public support are also all vital to enacting change on this scale. All key players will need to work together, and there will be a need for flexibility and innovation from all. This Roadmap is based on what we can do, but it also considers how others in the electricity sector can help achieve the Renewable Ambition by 2030.

The bit that gave me a chuckle was about feedback from their public consultation:

There was strong feedback that there is no appetite for the cost of electricity to rise because of the transition to a low-carbon electricity system.

Are they nuts? The Irish Academy of Engineers has already begged the government to come clean about the cost of the energy transition because they clearly anticipate that it will send prices soaring for consumers.

One of these documents would be cause for concern on its own. But our energy future is being staked on both strategies coming together simultaneously. It might be ok if someone was proposing a couple of pilot projects to see how things worked out. But no, Ireland Inc. is betting the farm on this madness which, as has been noted elsewhere on this thread, could run to hundreds of billions in costs for nothing more than we already have today.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Am I missing something here? Isn’t there already 100 electric busses parked up somewhere in Dublin unable to be activated as there are no charge points?

Why order more when sleepy Eamon cannot supply the infrastructure to charge what’s already here?

Just what we need. Eamon Ryan channelling the ghost of J Robert Oppenheimer.

The man should not be left unsupervised with a box of matches, never mind messing around with hydrogen.

Whoever in Eirgrid got told to come up with all the right answer, not only got their retaliation in first, they showed they had a sense of humour. They approached it the same as if they had been told to answer the question, how long is a piece of string,

It's an almost daily occurrence now to see solar farm announcements. This one just got permission in Kilkenny for a 13ha one

That is what i would call a series of planted suppositions. It is a standard generalised response to a threat to existing views by closing all doors at the very start by questioning the motives of those involved so one does not look at possible new entries into the truth of matters. Something a psychologist would call cognitive dissonance. It is clear that at least some of climate science is simply in error.

It is often used in court cases by either the prosecution or defense to cast doubt on a witness and questioning their character.

Furthermore, it was and continues to be succesfully used by the CIA (as during the Vietnam war) as a tactic to deflect eyes and ears and influence the media and thereby the public.

That those in powerful positions like the ones writing the summary for policy makers of the IPCC and the heads of institutions are using this tactic is beyond contempt as the case of Judith Curry shows.

But none of this matters to you. You have as expected turned a blind eye and went on the offense in the exact way i have described. You are being played without realizing it.

I pity the scientists still working in the system who dare not speak out. They have surely seen the repercussions. Fear is a great motivator. It is understandable and sad.

But truth cannot be surpressed forever. The cracks are showing everywhere and doubt is starting to creep in about the stated certainties as they did (and do) with Covid19 ( the jabs and measures) and now the Ukraine conflict. Those proposing a simplistic explanation of a complex issue are usually wrong ( the famous Mencken quote).

In the case of climate science it is clear that manipulation of data is being used by powerful people to get a desired end result. That is politics and anti science. They have no shame.

It is ironic to see people with left leaning tendencies like myself now considered far right while staying at the same place and asking clearly logical and necessary questions about an enforced dogma. We have clearly entered the religious realm here with true believers and heretics. Odd..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

How desperate they are, the jokers are picking random temperature recordings from remote desert depressions (dry adiabatic lapse rate) during the Northern hemisphere Summer and make the claim as you parrot "this is the new normal". It's funny watching the interviews with Irish people in Dublin airport flying to the Mediterranean region, actually happy and looking forward to some warm weather, contrasted with predictable climate propaganda from the WMO, it's a coordinated annual event, the media wires are polluted with press releases from NGOs at this same time every year, there should be some stock footage from Greenland (If they have not shown it, it will be in by beginning of August). Meanwhile, in Ireland it reached 20 C yesterday. It was horrible. I almost perspired!

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Yep, high temps are only a recent phenomenon ..........

Advertisement