Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russian troops killing their own

Russians stealing boots off their comrades

There are a huge number of cases of Russian soldiers raping Ukrainian women, for example, in Bucha, Russian soldiers kept women in a basement for 25 days, 9 were reported pregnant, reportedly they were aged 14 to 24 and were "systematically raped".

In terms of doing this to their own, in an incident a few months ago in Mariupol, Russian troops (Kadyrovs) reportedly gang raped a Russian journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Auntie

Right, so let's say we call..

• Russia arriving up along the Dniepr river
    • taking over Odessa
    • Zelenski government falls.

..victory for Russia. There could be more, like a peace deal with no Ukrainian NATO membership, ever. But lets leave that.

If that happens - lets say in the next 6 months or so - would you then accept that you've (and more importantly, the Ukrainian people) have been sold a crock of crap by the Western media.

I mean, you ought not be able to achieve a result like that when you've only got old washing machine silicone chips available to build your rockets, your army is made up of forced conscripts and you're fielding T-54's as your frontline armour.

That a good line in the sand we can all reminisce over?

I'm actually more rightist in my political position: anti abortion, contra multicultureism, not a fan of the way the welfare state is run, etc.

Firstly, I don't think Putin or Xi are nice guys.

Secondly, as a high flying/high US government-agency ranking uncle of mine once advised me: " I watch the news to find out whats NOT going on"

When it comes to assessing the relative threat from Russia, China and America I look at their records. "By their fruits ye shall know them" afterall. It turns out that America is all over the world invading, killing millions, carrying out political assassinations, carrying out regime change and supporting (and then deposing) all sorts of horrible dictators. And have been doing so for decades. Whereas Russian and China are not.

So when I see all these threat stories about Russia and China on the BBC - but it's the US who actually is doing all the killing and setting up military bases in everyone elses backyards...

That's how I figure out what's going on. I don't base my assessment on the news

-

I think it's going excellently for Russia in this war. I think that Ukraine never had a hope but have squandered what hope they had lashing themselves up against Russian defences. They are a spent force and won't be reconstituted again in any significant way. The West is out of material and out of ideas.

I'm not sure what kind of military logic sees as a reverse, the gaining of 25 odd% of another country. Perhaps that occurs in the minds of someone who believes the BBC when they are told Russia seeks to conquer Western Europe of some such ballycock.

Russia and the West are at war. The intel, the command and control, the satellite, the weaponry, the training, the money, the ammo, the tactics. All Western. The only thing that isn't Western .. or rather wasn't Western, since they are mostly dead now ... is the blood. The blood was Ukrainian and the land was Ukrainian. Everything else was Western.

William Burns wrote a memo in 2008 entitled "Nyet means Nyet" or no means no. Russia, who were not at all happy with the eastwards expansion of NATO into former soviet bloc countries, had a red line. And that was Ukraine. Ukraine and the US fucked about and found out. The US will do as they always do - retreat the Hell out of the there leaving a right old mess behind them. I mean: count of the wars where they've done just that - whether South Vietnamese government officials and their desparate families queuing on the roof of a Saigon building to escape on one of the last helicopters leaving town, or similarly desparate Afghanis falling like confetti from an American transport plane.

Hahaha is all I can say regarding your assessment of Russian military capability. A post or so ago I put up a scenario for Russian victory in say 6 months or so. Fairly clear cut in terms of gains / status. By all means assert your position there and we can come back in 6 months or so and see how well our respective views have unfolded.

I think it's going excellently for Russia in this war.

Russia: 2,136 visually confirmed main battle tanks destroyed, damaged, captured or abandoned

Ukraine: 574 visually confirmed main battle tanks destroyed, damaged, captured or abandoned

It's going swimmingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Makes sense for you as a propagandist/supporter of the Russian authoritarian dictatorship, that you would also describe yourself euphemistically as contra multiculturalist or without the euphemism just a plain old xenophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ah yea those hellhole Yankee vassal states of *checks notes; Japan, Germany, South Korea, Italy and Taiwan. They could sure learn a thing or two on the “fruits of foreign policy” from Russia and China and their blossoming diplomacy with allies like *checks notes North Korea, Belarus, Venezuela, Tajikistan and Syria. Imagine if we could end US hegemony and trusted Russia and China, we too could live in paradises like Pyongyang, Aleppo or Caracas and discard the decadence of Tokyo, Seoul and Berlin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey I'm still waiting for some proof the Russian speakers of Ukraine want to join Russia - a pretty wild claim without a shred of verified proof;, but I suppose when you're a self titled "contra multiculturalist", bitter cos "white Europeans" got dragged into a war... everyone looks the same east of the Danube?

And when caught out, revert to type: ranting about the US. Hey at least it's an honest position of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Reading over some of the earlier pages of the thread, there were claims by one or two posters whose accounts are no longer active that Russia would be victorious within six months, by the May day celebrations etc.

I don't claim to be able to see the future, but have a strange feeling that history might continue to repeat itself in relation to these claims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, at the start of the conflict Kyiv seemed about to fall, very quickly. Events happened faster than many could digest - too quickly for outside allies to react. Hubris it might have proven to be, but there was a reason Russia's tip of the spear troops packed dress uniforms for a victory parade; by all accounts the world thought Ukraine would fall before the West had a chance to formalise a response. Putin chanced his army on the EU being spineless & Kyiv not having the stomach for a fight - neither turned out to be true.

I daresay had Moscow directed its forces into Moldova, or the rest of Georgia? Easy to speculate both capitals would have fallen & the West might have resigned itself to the diplomatic equivalent of tutting loudly; what couldn't work through Kremlin Toadies in Kyiv was swapped for all out invasion through flimsy talk of ethnic interventionism nobody with an ounce of nuance would swallow - a narrative now returned to by a new uptick in Whatabout NATO artists. And just as the Ukrainian offensive had "stalled" according to a media trying to spin disappointment Ukraine can't magically float over a minefield that might make Korea's DMZ blush. Funny that.

Ukraine's offensive might be slow, but Russia's invasion has by all accounts collapsed as a viable, aggressive force. There's still the chance they can outlast Ukraine's ability to defend itself - but can Putin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To return (briefly) to the Iraq war and the claims of WMDs. There were huge protests across the Western world about the invasion, and significant amount of negative media coverage (less so in the US itself, but strongly across Europe). Look, in contrast, at the reporting and public actions arising in Russia in response to their illegal invasion and then decide which of "the West" or Russia is more open and trustworthy. While the media here are far from perfect, at least they investigate and interrogate the statements and motives of governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭jonnreeks

Did anyone see the piece on Channel 4 News on AI intelligence being used in the Ukraine war with Russia!

"Kyiv says it’s using artificial intelligence to target Russian positions and counter Moscow’s firepower advantage – with some claiming Ukraine is the “first digital war” and the dawn of a deadly AI arms race."

Fascinating and frightening! 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

It's no surprise, really, considering that in the USA some of the hottest Putinists come from the MAGA (these days, most of it) wing of the Republican party. Some of those characters are liable to wield a version of the ''anti-globalist'', ''anti-neocon'' rhetoric...when they're not agitating for the USA to attack Mexico, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That’s the Kerch bridge hit again. I’d be quite scared driving over that bridge if I were Russian or living in Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

The above is incorrect as I mentioned nothing about passports. I'm referring to how they identify on the Ukrainian census.

It's also worth pointing out that being ethnically Russian in Ukraine does not make you pro-Russian. The argument, which I'm not suggesting that you're making, is largely that either Russian speakers or people who identify as ethnically Russian support this war. It's lazy nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

"Not Nice Guys". Oh dear me, don't say anything too bad on here and endanger the visa lol. Should be safe, you did do some more monstering of Americans "killing millions" over the decades (they won't care if visiting!) + brushed over the harmless CCP, Soviet + now Russian Federation record. There's been some pretty toxic fruits sprouted from those parts of the world (see reply from poster above).

Sorry, just looking at the (Western) news and then coming up with theories based on what is not being reported is not a clever idea. You are not as smart and insightful as you believe you are.

The people in Ukraine are a key element. If Ukraine did not want to fight, if the govt. or military had collapsed quickly it would all have been over now and the current levels of Western support maintaining Ukraine could not come at all. This outside support also becomes utterly irrelevant if Ukrainians and their govt. + military decide they don't want to fight the Russians any more. You discount or underweight human elements. You do it again going on about this land Russia robs (it's "win") vs the price it has paid in lives, military equipment, opportunity costs (no functioning democracy would ever pay this steep a cost for the reasons Russia has done, only a dictatorship or other kind of authoritarian system can do it in my opinion).

On NATO expansion causing this war...well we'll be back to the Nazis next or the corruption of Ukraine (how Putin's war will help or why it was Russia that nurtured a lot of the post-Soviet dodgy dealings in Ukraine for its own benefits? don't ask I suppose). The other bad justifications you posted about how most Ukrainians are Russian + the "lines on the maps" etc. were more honest.

I don't like predicting the future, but I will say that I think your scenarios for the Russian victory are fantastic and unlikely. The various pro-Russia posters have been claiming (dreaming) Russia is going to turn it around any day, and Ukraine is militarily very weak, almost finished etc. Been going on on this thread for months, since attack on Kyiv failed. The only way I think your scenario is possible is with very large amount of help coming from outside that has not manifested yet (Iranian drones and rockets, Turkish + Indian & Chinese sanctions busting and the quiet Chinese "non lethal"/"dual use" aid won't be enough here, goliath will need more of a crutch!). I think if this big external support comes for Russia, we will hear on that awful Western media.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

The moment you realised that poster actually typed out "I think it's going excellently for Russia in this war" you shouldn't have bothered because there isn't any point.

Having an opinion about an uncertain future is fine. Being such a blatant shill as to say the war is going "excellently" for Russia isn't an opinion, it's mindless propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Apparently everything was going excellently for Ukraine in this war.

Which is very clearly propaganda... they're struggling badly to achieve their stated objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

The parameters for what constitutes badly, good, and excellent vary radically when put in the proper context.

The war has gone disastrously for Russia since day one.

It's gone "well" to "excellent" for Ukraine at a bare minimum in that even before western aid arrived in meaningful quantity, they seriously blunted and stalled Russia's advance in a way no-one thought would be remotely possible.

Because the Ukrainian military was minuscule in comparison to the Russian military. If the Russian armed forces were performing as they should have been - eg not rotten to the core with corruption and ineptitude - it wouldn't even have been a war, just a quick campaign.

It's basically the Winter War repeated, except Ukraine is doing infinitely better than Finland did, and magnified the humiliation of that conflict tenfold.

There in no world in which a claim that the war is going "excellently" for Russia is even vaguely credible. It's humiliating for them. It has laid bare for the entire world the utter rot and corruption present in every faucet of that miserable country.

I am sure many, many "best case scenarios" were landed on desks in NATO countries prior to the invasion that could never have even begun to imagine the possibility of the war playing out as it actually has, mostly because they would never have expected Russian performance to be so atrocious.

Does Ukraine still exist as an independent state?

Yes? Then so far the war is going excellently for the republic. Considering the goals of the invasion was to topple Kyiv and turn into a satellite puppet state (again).

How's Russia doing since the war started, and became a de-factor pariah state across the globe?

TL:DR? Poorly. Traditionally, wars are hard to prosecute and maintain when one's kleptocratic economy is in the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

You know something Auntie? I was in Grozny, and there were many ethnic Russians there, but guess what? The Russian Army treated them even worse than the Chechens.. ( who treated them very well)...and I often saw them doing it, especially at check points. On one occasion, after an ethnic Russian produced not only his Russian ID, but medals he had received while fighting in the Great War, he was taunted with comments like " You are Russian? How can that be when you are living amongst these savages?" and plenty more in a similar vein, and worse. So would I be surprised to hear of Putin's killers illtreating and even killing ethnic Russians in Donbass? Nope, I would not. And by now, I guess most of these ethnic Donbass Russians have been forced to fight for Putin and are dead. So much for Putin's much acclaimed justification of going into Donbass to protect Ethnic Russians.

Ukraine is a relatively poor country, being invaded by a military superpower, so relatively speaking they have done very well so far, no one can argue with that. Most military analysts had the country collapsing in a few weeks to even a few days.

They have held the Russian military and managed to push it back, liberating a few thousand square km of their territory. They've destroyed/captured enemy equipment at a rate of 3 to 1. Their move on Kharkiv was very successful. Their recent offensive has been relatively slow progress as acknowledged by Zelensky and senior commanders (they have to move through a minefield area the size of Florida, with no air cover, along a 1000+ km front against a military superpower, not exactly easy stuff)

They've been quite open about the challenges of their counter-offensive and it's slow progress, so I have no idea why you are attempting to hint otherwise.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed , In boxing parlance before things kicked off Russia vs Ukraine would have been viewed as a Heavyweight Champion facing off against a mid-rank welterweight and looking at a fight that would have been over well inside the end of the 1st round via a comprehensive knockout for the Heavy weight.

However , here we are in round 6 or 7 and the welterweight is still on their feet and the Heavyweight champ has a busted nose and a cut over their eye.

All the credit here thus far goes to the welterweight for staying in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

All credit goes to the west for keeping them in the fight, and using their unfortunate people as very convenient cannon fodder to feed to the Russians in a completely futile attempt to weaken Russia.

Anyone with their head screwed on at this point, can clearly see that Ukraine do not have either the manpower or the equipment to actually have any chance of winning this war. They never did. And now with Russia having dug in over the winter, with multiple lines of defence, it has essentially become a suicide mission to break through those lines. Ukraine have no chance of achieving their stated objectives in this conflict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty much everyone knows this, but for the sake of it - Ukraine would be fighting regardless. All NATO is doing is giving them a better chance. When Western allies offered to evacuate the government and they were told to provide supplies instead, that tells you all you need to know.

The options here are enable Ukraine's defence or cripple it. Decide which side you'd like to be on.

It's perfectly legal for Europe (and world countries) to support Ukraine. To abandon Ukraine was to enable Russia's invasion, unthinkable. Nothing futile about it, it's estimated Putin's lost half his operational tanks and Ukraine have dramatically weakened the largest military threat to Europe.

They've pushed Russia back from Kyiv, all the way across the Dnieper river, liberated Kharkiv and Russia now holds less than 20% of the country (and decreasing)

Ukraine was facing total occupation, the entire country turned into Bucha, now they aren't. Despite the challenges and cost, it's already extraordinarily successful. They haven't stopped because they are making more (gradual) progress. Russia's military is showing cracks and fractures everywhere, their economy is sliding, and the mines won't protect their conscripts and prisoner-soldiers forever.

And the F16's haven't even arrived yet. Nor the ATACMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Eh? Russia wouldn't be weakened if they had simply stayed out of Ukraine. Does that simple fact not register with you?

Indeed or Putin could simply turn around now and end all this in an instant. That doesn't occur to these individuals, it's always Ukraine/West to blame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But if the west wasn't Keeping them in the fight,then we would be sitting back watching the total Genocide of the population of Ukraine,they the Ukrainian aren't cannon fodder they are people fighting for the right to exist and for their sovereign country to exist....

Advertisement