Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% cut to fares for all public transport operators from April

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

It's mostly Local Link buses which are PSO up in Donegal there's McGinleys too which do a commercial Dublin service. Donegal is a fairly unique example as they had Lough Swilly for many years and BE took a lot their routes when Lough Swilly went bust. A lot the Local Link services up there are probably ex Lough Swilly routes too I'd imagine. Lough Swilly were the only non CIE operator that got government funding as CIE did not serve most of Co.Donegal for many years. They would've run a lot of school services in Donegal which was done by CIE/BE in the rest of the country. Their fleet was ancient and in a terrible state too I'd saying they were struggling just to keep a service going for a long time.

Citylink still operate a Dublin to Galway stopping service aswell. Aircoach could probably operate the route at a lower cost than BE as they pay their drivers less and you also have to remember that BE are a larger operator with mostly PSO services where they'll be fined if they don't operate so commercial routes are no longer their priority. Its the reason I'd imagine DB dropped Airlink so they could focus on PSO work.

Look at the X8 when BE pulled out the NTA stepped in and provided the 245X Dublin to Cork service as a PSO route. A lot of the Expressway work has been replaced by privates with lower costs, PSO routes and Translink on cross border routes. I never said BE were operating those routes out of the goodness of their hearts I'm saying that BEs priorities have changed to providing shorter distance PSO regional and city services as opposed to Intercity Expressway routes which was their main focus previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

In a way, DB and BE should not be restricted in where they can tender for routes, no harm in some healthy competition even if it's between two semi-states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

BE announcing an increase in fares of 5% today, what they give with one hand they take away with the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s purely on their commercial Expressway services, which are not subsidised.

The fares on their PSO routes (the city, town, commuter and rural routes) are unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, but what if I want to take a bus on an intercity route?

• Advertisement

Well again Expressway is a commercial service, which is not subsidised.

Virtually all commercial operators have increased their fares in line with increasing costs over the past year.

They have to cover their costs unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

What's the logic in subsidising city and rural bus routes while intercity/town routes are left with fare increases. Using inflation as an excuse when fuel to down at pre covid levels.

When's the 20% fare reduction ending on the other routes ending?

Fuel is only one cost, there’s still payroll and all other costs which will have increased with inflation.

Well the PSO services basically couldn’t operate without a State subsidy, while the market seems to be capable of accepting commercially set fare levels for Intercity routes.

If the commercial operators were not able to cover their costs they’d cancel the routes and then the question of whether replacement PSO services are needed would come into play.

There are examples of routes, such as the X8 between Dublin & Cork and others where Bus Éireann have withdrawn their commercial operation and they have subsequently been replaced with PSO services.

Ultimately that’s down to a government policy decision.

The 20% fare reduction on PSO services remains in place until the end of 2023. We will have to wait for the budget in October to find out what will happen then.

Irish Rail could in theory bid too after all Deutche Bahn, NS and SNCF all run bus services in addition to rail based services. What would be the point on two subsidiaries of the same company bidding against one another be like Sprite and Fanta trying to compete against Coca Cola.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the obvious answer to that question would be to fully break up CIE, so that DB/BE/IR are fully separate companies and then let them compete for tenders with one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Imagine! We could be like the disaster that is the UK railway system

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’m not suggesting that at all! Please don’t misquote me like that.

I was just suggesting fully separating DB/BE/IR from CIE and each other. They could all continue to be 100% state owned companies.

I can’t see that happening given CIÉ group manage the group pension scheme.

The point would be to drive competition. To bring innovation and better services to the public.

Some folks seem to forget that these aren’t actually public companies, they are semi-state companies, big difference. A semi-state company is really just he same as a private company, who’s shares happen to be owned by the government. Such semi-state companies are supposed to operate just the same as a private company, they are supposed to operate like a commercial company, make a profit, compete, etc.

Look at Deutche Bahn, German state owned company, yet they compete for and win contracts to operate train services in the US, UK and all across Europe!

This is quiet common in mainland Europe where you will see different state owned companies competing against one another and private companies.

I really don’t care if a company is “private” or “public”, as long as there is some competition and no monopoly and they deliver a good quality service to the public.

What innovation would there be if the NTA are calling the shots?

Most of the large transport operators in Europe are owned by foreign governments Transdev is part owned by the Frnech government, Arriva is Deutsche Bahn owned by German government, Abellio is owned by the Dutch government, RATP group is also owned by the French government. Look at all the UK rail operators nearly all owned by foreign government.

Maybe people would like to keep tax money within Ireland and not have it sent off to foreign governments in the name of "competition".

I'm not sure why you said any of the above, it has nothing at all to do with what I suggested above!

To be clear, I just suggested that DB/BE/IR would be separated from CIE, while still remaining state owned, so they could compete with one another for contracts here in Ireland. As a result the tax money would remain in Ireland!

Hell perhaps BE/BE could even compete for contracts to operate buses for London Bus, etc. earn us some more tax money from abroad. Much like the ESB does with their international arm.

"Maybe people would like to keep tax money within Ireland and not have it sent off to foreign governments in the name of "competition"."

Honestly, I think most people couldn't care less. They just care about a good service. Do you honestly believe most believe would sit on the BE Expressway to Cork for 5 hours versus the foreign owned GoBus for 3 hours. Nah, not a hope.

Just like most people didn't care when AerLingus got privatised and sold off to a foreign company. No one would want to return to the 70's and 80's of the public owned AerLingus monopoly.

The reality is Ireland takes in vast sums of tax money from foreign companies via corporate tax. 10 Billion government budget surplus this year, expected to grow to €16 Billion next year!

We are now one of the richest countries in the world, awash with money, but the quality of our public services don't come anywhere close to matching other similar European cities and most people are fed up with it. If DB/BE step up and deliver that world class service, then great, I genuinely hope they do, but if not, then most people will have no problem getting foreign companies if they deliver a better service.

What I'm actually saying is that I wish our semi state companies were better run, more competitive, more innovative.

It's nothing to do with DB and BE anymore it's the NTA who are in charge of all public transport in Ireland now. Its them who need to step up and be more innovative.

They have, they have been more innovative in 10 years then DB/BE have been in the 50 years before that!

Do you really want me to list off all the improvements they have introduced?

And ironically it is DB/BE (and yes GAI) who are holding things back, because they can't hire, train and retain enough drivers to implement the innovative changes envisaged by the NTA in Bus Connects. This is the one job DB/BE/GAI have to do, operate the service they are contracted to do and they are struggling badly with this one job!

The only things that they can list are

90 minute fare: DB had that pre NTA

Dual door buses: DB/BE had that before NTA

RTPI: technology didn't exist pre NTA

Funny how the NTA were founded in 2008 then distanced themselves when the government forced DB/BE to make cutbacks during the recession.

If DB/GAI/BE want to put on extra buses during say a concert they must first ask for permission from the NTA. Oh how conveniently the NTA only work office hours and concerts/events usually take place late at night or at weekends oh well guess folks will just have to walk or attempt to get a taxi if the buses are full.

Why does nobody want to drive a bus well it sure as hell isn't because the wages and conditions are brilliant their far from it. Who resources DB/BE/GAI oh that's right the wonderful NTA but we can't mention that. Just like how it's top secret how much the NTA are giving GAI and what are NTA top brass earning you can be damn sure it's a lot higher than the salary of a steering wheel attendant for DB/BE/GAI. But we can't be talking about dat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

this is why you see the NTA repeatedly fail in communication, passenger information, app performance and the things listed in KD345s recent thread.

'it's someone else's responsibility to do it' doesn't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh this bit

Privates are only interested in Dublin-Cork/Limerick/Galway all the others aren't profitable to operate a regular service.

Is nonsense.

Privates run the Athenry- Galway (including the only night link in the county), and the best service between Tuam -Galway.

Dublin coach and JJK run all sorts of regular services in Limerick and the east outside Dublin/Cork.

And there are many more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This thread is starting to stray off-topic, can we please keep on the subject of fares in this one?

If you wish to discuss some of the things which are not directly related to fares, please start a new topic.

Advertisement