Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Because Europe may well be the better option.

But the morality of helping a great many people is not about 'better'. Its about sufficient.

Given two options people will always choose the better option. (We all want better, but its about need, not want.)

Which is great for the person choosing. But theyre not the only factor. Something you have happily forgotten.

I hesitate to use the word beggar, but there is a dynamic known as the choosing beggar at work here, a dynamic which is not what we want to achieve, but which is clearly happening in immigration systems.

One example being that Paris, the city of light, and all the many cities en route to Paris, are not good enough for the channel crossers.

Thats not a case of need, there were abundant means to cover their needs in any of the many cities they passed. So its a case of want. Wants are our own responsibility, if you disagree ill forward you my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ooh it's all the big bad meeja's fault? Listen the big beasts in the big parties are more than capable of signalling and dog-whistling on this issue without getting tarred with the racist brush, by anyone credible anyway. See some of the 'Rural Independents' are doing it and nobody is calling them puppets of Justin Barret or whatever.

AFAICS most of the real nastiness in this debate is coming from the other side. Which anti-racist activists have done anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of those questions sound like they were posed by Irish internet users, not refugees. You left out other questions from the exact same Google Ireland algorithm:

"Where do most refugees come from in Ireland?

Is Ireland obliged to take refugees?

How many refugees does Ireland have?

How does Ireland decide who is a refugee?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But this is just a hopelessly narrow way of appreciating how this all works. The whole point of refugees "skipping" countries is that the European nations have resolved among themselves to cooperate on this in order to avoid the scenario where a small group of countries bears the effort alone. If we all adopted a policy of saying "right let France / Italy / Greece etc etc deal with this as they are a safe country" then this is effectively putting all the pressure on those countries. The problem with that of course is that we are part of a co-operative alliance with these countries that has yielded and continues to yield huge benefits for the development of this country. But the term "alliance" does not mean "only accepting the easy beneficial bits and leaving the harder negative aspects to someone else".

As I've said time and time again — any appreciation for how the world works would lead you to understand that we don't get to be a perpetual beneficiary of being plugged into the developed capitalist system with our European allies without accepting that we must also carry burdens with our allies. The idea that refugees should simply only ever be hosted at the exact point where whatever specific danger or strife they faced is out of reach is one of those things that sounds somewhat sensible in simplistic terms but is fairly hopeless when it crashes into the wall of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Rural independents, yes. But I was speaking of the mainstream larger parties and referenced them directly so I don’t really see what relevance your example has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The unasked question in that poll though is 'how much does it matter to you?'. Like a polling company could ask any bland Yes/No question ("have crisps lost their flavour?', "are neck tattoos a bit icky?") and by the nature of a Yes/No question there will be a majority one way or the other. However, whether it's a big issue (most important, top 5, top 10 factor at election time, potential swing of your vote) is a key bit of information before any political party runs with something.

You may well be proven correct that it is an important issue, but just because a majority answered a particular way in a poll isn't of itself that crucial.

Well you were claiming, preposterously, that the main reason the major parties are not taking a harder line on immigration is they are terrified of a vitriolic backlash on old and new media. I'm citing the rural indies as politicians who are saying a lot of things you guys want to her on immigration and nobody (or nobody credible) is cancelling them or calling the nazis or whatever. People are arguing back strongly against them, as you can see from the Carol Nolan article, but if you think prominent major-party pols are scared of that...

I wasn't claiming they were going to transform the situation I was using them to counter yer man's ridiculous assertion that politicians can't take an immigration-critical stand without being run out of town on a rail. Independents TDs have been doing this for years

and AFAIK there have been no pitchfork wielding mobs outside their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

The governments of Italy, Sweden,Austria etc were not for turning 10 years ago n right wing parties were a laughing stock.

Paddy is coming late to the joys of endless refugees but is making up for lost time at a rapid pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hospitality industry liquidations up 200% on last year. Who could'a guessed. Let's hope the refugee industry have better figures!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/07/17/significant-collapse-in-hospitality-as-insolvencies-up-48-in-first-six-months/

• Advertisement

I wasnt referring to just Ireland, I was talking about Europe as a whole too.

Share indeed. Let African and Asian countries be part of the sharing of the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your argument is essentially that we must take as many Ukrainians as arrive at the door, because if we don't we'll end up with a lot more from places in Africa or the Middle East and better we have the ones that are at least a bit like us.

Expect the "you big racist" brigade to be all over you for that one! Personally though I don't give a toss where they're from or what sad story they have. We have done more than enough - so much that we are ruining our own country in the process and creating massive future social and economic problems down the road in addition to the ones we're already seeing.

As I said, if they don't arrive with a job lined up and money to support their own needs (housing, health, food etc), then they should be turned away until we get some sort of handle on the situation we have now. I feel no obligation or responsibility to anyone arriving from the places you've mentioned. I can sympathise with their situation of course - but it's not my/our job to solve their problems and I feel zero guilt saying that.

My responsibility is to my family and their wellbeing and future. As a native citizen I am entitled to expect that our State will put our needs above all else and only once that has been done, THEN consider how we might help those less fortunate elsewhere - and again, remember that we give away hundreds of millions annually (increasing to almost/just over a BILLION in recent years) annually in foreign aid ON TOP OF all this. This is something we were still doing by the way even in the depths of the Recession years. We were essentially borrowing money (and paying interest on it!) to give it away to others!!

We have done far more than our part on these issues and in the process deepened/worsened all the problems we've seen here for decades. It's time we cleaned up our own mess rather than making it worse by importing the problems of others or pissing away money abroad while telling people here that we can't afford essential services or treatments for them or their families.

As I've said before, the reason a modern society functions is based on the concept of a social contract. You play by the rules, work, pay taxes, contribute etc and in return your Government provides services and access to opportunities to better yourself and your future, with a safety net in the form of financial or healthcare support if you need it. Policies and laws are decided upon by politicians that are voted in and out at periodic intervals as a reflection of the changing wishes of the people..

..... or at least that's how it SHOULD be! I certainly don't work and lose half my income in tax or charges to then be told I can't see a doctor when I need to or must sit 14 hours (yes I've done that!) in A&E to be seen, or that I can't buy a home at a reasonable price, or that I have to rent one at huge expense an hour away from my job and family while others who haven't contributed and have no entitlement to these things are then given those things for free or nearly free (but really at my and other taxpayers expense) - and then to top it off I can't even holiday with my family in the country anymore because whole tourist areas have been handed over to the "needy".

I used to have a far more forgiving and tolerant outlook to these things, but charity begins at home and we have not only enough genuine and needy cases here as it is - we're actively adding to them as a result of these "strategies" (and for those who think that there is no concept of cause and effect involved, please!). Everything comes from the same limited pot at the end of the day, and the effects on critical services and infrastructure through adding a hundred thousand more needy people to feed, shelter and support doesn't happen in a parallel universe. We're at the point where what is given to one is taken away from someone else (as we've seen reported with medical cards being removed from people to meet this new demand).

I'll keep saying it - enough is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

“At a global level we continue to grapple with economic uncertainty, high interest rates, and a rising cost of living,”

There's more then hospitality referenced in that article. Not does it say anything about refugees being the cause.

Well, of the 5 countries who host almost 40% of the world's refugees, only one is in Europe — Germany.

Turkey and Iran both host 3.6 million and 3.4 million refugees respectively. Colombia hosts 2.1 million and Pakistan 1.7 million.

The number of refugees hosted by Uganda has gone from 477,000 eight years ago to almost 1.5 million last year. Sudan, a country wracked by poverty and strife, hosts 1.1 million refugees as of last year while the even more vulnerable South Sudan hosts 310,000 Sudanese refugees. Bangladesh hosts almost a million Rohingya refugees who fled violence in Myammar. Ethiopia hosts 867,000 refugees while Iran hosts 840,000.

This is a global issue, affecting countries globally, and requires a global approach.

Yeah it needs a global approach.

And theres a lot of globe and a lot of countries in Africa and m.e.n.a.

So why are 'refugees' not wider and more thinly spread over the many countries. Why is Europe playing its part while others arent.

I mean the wealth has certainly spread, thats why I posted the video of the skylines of African countries.

If you can afford a skyline in the same league as New York, if you can afford a megaproject, then you can afford to take in refugees.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That’s because they’re non-entities at the national level - the mainstream media won’t bother with them.

How about you address the example I actually gave of Holly Cairns?

Made a very reasonable tweet during the debacle in Clare in May and nearly had the head taken off her by hysterical people calling her racist etc on twitter. Had to publicly apologise and backtrack over something that really was very mild.

Not good enough.

Also; that being the case, whats wrong with UK flying the channel hoppers to Rwanda.

Could it be that the people invading the English coast are choosy, and too good for Rwanda.

Desperate refugees in need of help, just not from neighboring countries, or any north African countries, ... or Rwanda.

Or France.

• Advertisement

The countries that aren't playing their part are doing so largely for the reasons that are lauded and celebrated on this thread — inward looking self-interest propped up by fears that include a prevailing one that the entire concept of refugee is merely just a front for ill-intentioned ne'er-do-well lazy itinerants who only want to sponge benefits, leer at Western women — and who bring nothing but the dilution of culture and the decay of society.

On the flipside, the countries that are playing their part, such as Ireland itself in the crisis that has unfolded the past year, are characterised on this thread as anything between being run by traitorous governments or as being the fiefdoms of blue-haired snowflake NGO activists. The reasons other capable countries don't do their part is a question that you should be answering, not me.

And I'm really not sure where you're going with this skyline thing. You already seem to have started off on the footing that somehow the world was unaware of Africa's large cities and now seem to be suggesting that the fact that a city like Lagos has tall buildings and attempting to develop suddenly makes Nigeria a developed country. This is not even counting the fact that Nigeria does have a refugee problem in the form of internal displacement caused by insurgency conflicts that include the Boko Haram campaign — one of the largest internal displacements in the world.

Made a very reasonable tweet during the debacle in Clare in May and nearly had the head taken off her by hysterical people calling her racist etc on twitter. Had to publicly apologise and backtrack over something that really was very mild.

I would need to see chapter and verse on this 'twitter storm' before accepting the premise of your question. AFAIK Cairns has not said she backtracked on those comments specifically because of the online backlash. My suspicion is she was worried her comments had put the SDs out of the step with the other left parties and she didn't want to give them scope to claim they were more woke than her mob. This happens all thye time over all sorts of issues and has no necessary connection with vengeful twitter mobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We have war refugees, mostly from Ukraine at the moment and we have international asylum seekers. They are two different things.

Personally I think it is right for us to offer shelter to Ukrainian women, children & elderly. This should be done at the same rates of support & conditions as other EU states. I don't welcome Ukrainian men of service age here, whether or not they are fit for the military, they'd be better off back in Ukraine helping in a whole variety of ways.

International asylum seekers are a real & growing problem. Those fleeing war and in fear of their very lives we might choose to help, others must be turned back at point of entry. Full stop. If that means that some in the former group are discriminated against, well no system is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"As I've said before, the reason a modern society functions is based on the concept of a social contract. You play by the rules, work, pay taxes, contribute etc and in return your Government provides services and access to opportunities to better yourself and your future, with a safety net in the form of financial or healthcare support if you need it. Policies and laws are decided upon by politicians that are voted in and out at periodic intervals as a reflection of the changing wishes of the people..

..... or at least that's how it SHOULD be! I certainly don't work and lose half my income in tax or charges to then be told I can't see a doctor when I need to or must sit 14 hours (yes I've done that!) in A&E to be seen, or that I can't buy a home at a reasonable price, or that I have to rent one at huge expense an hour away from my job and family while others who haven't contributed and have no entitlement to these things are then given those things for free or nearly free (but really at my and other taxpayers expense) - and then to top it off I can't even holiday with my family in the country anymore because whole tourist areas have been handed over to the "needy"."

Couldn't agree more - this state has broken the 'social contract' with it's own citizens. And the chickens will come to roost when they come looking for votes.

Not good enough that 70% of refugees are housed in neighbouring countries?

What you are looking for seems to be zero refugees in Ireland or Europe, it's just not possible, particularly as our biggest population of refugees are from Europe.

Even Japan have started to take more refugees

It appears your issue is totally with government on their failures and nothing to do with refugees. Which is fair enough. But that's what you should be complaining about. Those issues were here before recent refugee arrivals.

You obviously didn’t read the article I supplied

“THE LEADER OF the Social Democrats has backtracked on a speech she made in the Dáil yesterday, calling for the Government to publish a communications strategy for engaging with local communities housing refugees. 

After receiving substantial criticism for her remarks online, Holly Cairns issued a statement….”

She literally did backtrack and it was within hours of twitter folks losing their heads

https://twitter.com/hollycairnstd/status/1658829878181916675?s=46&t=_32xmG4U0KsmQb0oI5sKFg

Here’s the tweet in question have a look for yourself.

Numerous commenters jumping immediately to the accusations of racism, pandering to the “far right” and all the other exhausted sensationalist tropes that have now lost all impact through overuse.

It was hardly just coincidence she decided to disavow what she said out of the blue and then hasn’t commented on the issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You keep making this point but as many have said we are where we are and it makes no sense to just put even more pressure on services and housing that are already inadequate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Nigeria is a huge country, I refuse to believe Nigerians can’t find a safe place in their own country instead of heading to a small island on the far side of Europe

• Advertisement

Correlation is not causation. You and the author of that article are drawing a link between two events that may not have any significant connection. It seems more likely to me that Cairns and her handlers looked back at her sppech and realised she had said some stuff that might give ammunition to the SDs' rivals on the left, who I am sure she is far more concerned about than any angry twitter mob. Yes it is fairly unusual for a politician to explicitly retract something they have said in the Dail but Cairns is a young and inexperienced party leader: in seeking to be sensitive to the wishes of the local community she may have gone further in that direction than she had intended...

Advertisement