Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Further: if anxiety over Russian speaking separatists was truly the motivator, Moscow had an avenue to play peacemaker and could have used diplomacy to create some kind of peacekeeping, defensive presence in the supposed problematic regions. It literally has a seat on the UN security council - they could have less the charge for peace (keeping). Instead they chose to attack Kyiv and the civilian population in an all out invasion. Attacks that continue to this day, unprovoked and constant assaults on civilians. The optics that it was an ethnic conflict never tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Some estimates say 2 million civilians dead in Vietnam.

The USA is fine if you live in Ireland.

This comparison crap is stupid. It's pretty obvious who has the superior force and the two sides USA+Ukraine and Russia should sit down and negotiate instead of sacrificing another 200,000 soldiers.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you looked at the Russian warcrimes, from eastern Europe, Afghanistan and Syria and Ukraine more recently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Which only goes to prove that all that spiel about NATO encroachment, and protection of ethnic Russians in Donbass etc. was nothing except a cover story for Putin's real plan to take Ukraine back under his control.

They'd practically signed a treaty with Russia that was no to NATO plus a bit until Boris Johnson intervened and now reports say well over 100,000 Ukrainian's are dead since. I really do not understand where you're getting your news from.

• Advertisement

To them having Ukraine in NATO was a national security concern. Look at the Cuban missile crisis for a situation in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No country on earth wants to invade nuclear armed Russia.

NATO is only a threat to Putin's plans to invade other countries.

If Ukraine was in NATO, Russia couldn't have invaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You continually repeat this baseless nonsense about Boris Johnson.

You have been asked to support it, and you can't.

They had not "practically signed a treaty" when there was no finalised text of a treaty, there wasn't even any agreed understanding of how Donbas, Crimea etc would be handled. This is just a Russian lie you repeat without merit or foundation.

Similarly you pull figures out of nowhere for casualties. Vague mentions of 'reports', which are just weasel words.

I don't know where you are getting your news from but they appear to be making stuff up and are actively spreading disinformation and Russian lies.

I have posted quotes from Ukrainian sources on why there was no deal - Zelensky had no mandate to trade away territory. Nobody trusted Russia to abide by any deal. All that Johnson said was well we don't trust Putin to abide by any deal either.

Your claims have no credibility. But you will no doubt continue to ignore the evidence presented to you so that you can continue spreading this Russian lie.

This is the evidence which contradicts the Russian lies you continually spread, and which when presented to you you do not engage with. And it has been presented to you multiple times on this forum. So clearly so you are making a bad faith argument here.

Britain’s prime minister hadn’t come to Kyiv to order a termination of the peace deal; this was advice at best, and as such, his scepticism about Russia’s trustworthiness wasn’t unique. There were strong concerns within Zelensky’s closest entourage that the Kremlin wouldn’t stick to an agreement for any longer than it suited its interests. The risks of signing the Istanbul agreement were high for Ukraine: key provisions, to do with the status of Donbas and Crimea, couldn’t be agreed until a later meeting between the presidents of the two states. Zelensky and his negotiators’ most important worry about the Istanbul agreement was, Romaniuk said, that “Ukrainian society might not accept such a deal”... With Ukrainian officials and commentators speaking out against the deal at the time, Zelensky must have understood that he had no mandate for territorial concessions to Russia.

https://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article7852

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Another baseless Russian lie.

If Ukraine joined NATO, it would be governed by the NATO-Russia Founding act. It therefore would not be comparable to the Cuban missile crisis and only someone completely ignorant of the NATO-Russia treaties could repeat that Russian lie.

If Russia was worried about a NATO attack, it would have not have stripped its forces from the Baltic borders and Kalingrad to send to Ukraine.

If Russia was genuinely worried about Ukraine and offensive strategic weapons, all it had to do was abide by the Budapest agreement and the NATO-Russia Founding Act.

Instead it continually violated the Budapest agreement.

But of course even though these treaties have been pointed out to you multiple times on the thread, you maintain a pretence of ignorance about them so you can continue to repeat the same anti US, pro Russian propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You left out one aspect of the missile crisis though.

When are Ukraine getting the short range nuclear missiles to first strike Russia I wonder?

The former Baltic SSRs and Warsaw Pact countries have all been in NATO a long time now, and none have nuclear weapons placed on their territory afair.

I think there is only one party that has changed nuclear posture since war began and is moving (or has moved) some more of its missiles closer to Europe [EU members etc.] for executing a first strike (by emplacing some in Belarus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It might be a useful idea to place western nuclear missiles in Ukraine as a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Keep seeing the same comments for the last year and a half, here's a few translations

"I just want peace"

Translation: I want countries to force Zelensky to give land to Putin to temporarily buy time until he's is ready to invade again

"The West needs to stop arming Ukraine"

Translation: The West need to abandon Ukraine and therefore enable Putin's invasion

"This war between NATO and Russia"

Translation: I want to blame NATO for Putin's unilateral decision to invade his neighbour.

"Both sides.."

Translation: Democracies of Europe/Ukraine/The West are on the same level as Putin's totalitarian corrupt regime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well good job by Putin then to have more than DOUBLED the Russian border to Nato countries (Finland) AND managed to get Sweden to join as well blocking in yet another major Russian fleet base. So since that failed utterly why is he still in Ukraine again?

Putin held up the initialed treaty when the African delegation went to Moscow.

https://tass.com/politics/1634479

I posted the Ukraine paper describing how the treaty was derailed.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/05/5/7344206/

Here's Alistair Crooke describing the situation.

I have to say I was struck reading it on Francis bacon's interpretation of history. If you think that the American's or Russian's are bad, take a stroll through the horror of Pompeii where slavery, rape and murder were normal

I'm currently in Italy.

Today the resident population is estimated at between 28 and 31 million.

There's none so blind that will not see.

All the nonsense supporting the war has achieved is to have got a lot more people killed. I suggest taking a look in the mirror.

how's that for bold font?

There is nothing in the Pravda article declaring that they had "practically signed a treaty." Nothing.

There is nothing in the Pravda article about Putin and Africa. Nothing. Putin could have held any piece of paper up. It is a Russian lie without foundation you repeat on this thread. If you believe TASS about it you will believe anything.

Russia have publicly lied about both the Budapest and Minsk agreements this would be nothing new.

You have misrepresented the article contents to create an entirely misleading impression and done so repeatedly on this thread.

You also left out this part of the article which directly contradicts your deceptive sunmary of its contents.

"The first thing was the revelation of the atrocities, rapes, murders, massacres, looting, indiscriminate bombings and hundreds and thousands of other war crimes committed by Russian troops in the temporarily occupied Ukrainian territories."

That is a direct quote from the article you are misrepresenting.

Why did you leave it out???

I think it is reasonable to expect an explanation.

And this article further directly contradicts your misrepresentations.

Your claims are without merit or foundations. They are either repetition of Russian lies or fantasies of your own invention that arent even in the article you cited.

https://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article7852

Wow ,

Thats something straight out of the COVID or conspiracy theories forum is that you cheerful,egg or whatever other accounts used to spew the same nonsense

I think it's fair to say the us neocons want Putin out and Russia broken up as per the rand document. Rand suggested using Ukraine to achieve that before Ukraine escalated it's ceasefire violations and Russia then began it's smo.

These are just the fact. RFK says Putin is homicidal and I think that's a fair statement but attempting to topple the leader of nuclear armed Russia via Ukraine was not a good idea for Ukraine, IMHO.

Do I really need to reiterate what countless others have said on the topic? Just look up Mearsheimer fo your answer, he's better qualified than I

Look, I can keep posting articles.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/09/02/diplomacy-watch-why-did-the-west-stop-a-peace-deal-in-ukraine

Many people that I follow that have in depth knowledge of Ukraine/ Russia i.e. Jeffrey Sachs have pointed to the deal being scuttled by NATO. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

You point to Russia being liars and maybe you're correct, except they seem to be quite well trusted whereas the USA is losing credibility due to the stupidity of Trump/ Biden and their inability to tell the truth or keep a promise.

I have no inside knowledge except the countless people that are expert and putting forward the interpretation of the Johnson visit.

On the rapes. Rape is a terrible thing.

I posted a link to the My lai massacre where the USA raped children and women and then slaughtered them all leaving them unburied. This was apparently common in that war where 2 million civilians where estimated to have been killed. Your heroes are probably the biggest rapists since world war 2 and the leader of NATO.

It seems soldiers go bonkers whether they are Ukrainian e.g tornado battalion, Russian or American. Your answer to everything is that the Russian's cannot be negotiated with because they are orcs. You seem to refuse to see things from their perspective or to consider them as humans. It's like the unionists and nationalists all over again.

It's sad. It's sad because such opinion in my opinion is resulting in massive casualties in Ukraine.

Did you read the article? Nothing about covid19....

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter if they are countless when they are clueless or pushing an agenda. Countless ignorant opinions doesnt change falsehood to truth.

Its the actual text of the Budapest Agreement and NATO Russia Founding act that refutes your false claims.

None of the experts you vaguely cite support the specific false claims you are making on this thread.

You keep posting articles but they are either vague or contradict your claims.

I pointed out that you left out this part of the article you cited which contradicts your claims about the supposed treaty being practically ready to sign and only stopped by Boris Johnson.

This is a direct quote from the article as to one of the reasons treaty talks were stopped:

"The first thing was the revelation of the atrocities, rapes, murders, massacres, looting, indiscriminate bombings and hundreds and thousands of other war crimes committed by Russian troops in the temporarily occupied Ukrainian territories."

I asked you politely for an explanation

You have offered none.

It is reasonable to presume that you have read the article as you have cited it multiple times.

Therefore I now have grounds to state that you have lied and deliberately mislead in your posts re: the article contents.

You are a proven liar.

I include the article link below as proof of your lies:

There was no agreement and no treaty

No .

Your clearly making things up

Signed: 5 December 1994

The USA can barely keep a treaty intact for longer than four years e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_withdrawal_from_the_Joint_Comprehensive_Plan_of_Action

Russia broke the 1994 Budapest agreement. USA via NATO broke the agreement not to move East.

Diplomacy is about being aware of the country with whom you are negotiating/ fighty, their strengths and weaknesses. Russia kept the grain deal for a year. Lots of countries and businesses were able to negotiate with them prior to the smo.

Ukraine refused to negotiate, reached out to join with Russia's enemy, escalated ceasefire violations and their country has been ruined. In my opinion, that is not how to negotiate with a country run by a homicidal leader that is much larger.

There is no point continuing an unwinnable war unless you consider the lives of your relatives and friends worthless.

I cannot understand why the Ukrainian women abroad are not petitioning Russia and Kyiv to end the war instead of petitioning an incompetent NATO to provide more weapons.

The nato russia founding act signed in 1996 covers the expansion of NATO eastwards. If you disagree cite the exact part of the treaty that prohibits it.

There is nothing in the Budapest agreement prohibiting Ukraine from joining NATO. If you disagree cite the exact part of the treaty that prohibits.

Your statement is demonstrably false.

As for diplomacy what is the point of diplomacy if it just leads to Russias violations of Budapest. You have provided exactly zero evidence to suppose Russia would abide by the terms of a Budapest mark 2.

Let's assume it is and Russia was not given verbal assurances despite all the evidence to the contrary. So what? USA has lied about tons of stuff. Russia lies too. So does Ukraine.

I see nobody in Ireland advocating a war in Northern Ireland to regain the six counties. Are you a terrorist? Why are you advocating such a policy for Ukraine, e.g.bretake Crimea and not for us?

Do you think that the UK is better than Russia?

They're not my lies. I'm not the one writing the stories.

When Pulitzer prize winners like Sy Hersh have to start their own substances because they can no longer get published because of their counter narrative, it makes me wonder.

but other people seem to think it's great that one of the greatest living investigative journalists is completely ignored and the news reflects government policy, (e.g. the Russian's destroyed their own pipeline, the Russians destroyed a dam that provided fresh water to Crimea, the Russians are going to destroy a nuclear power plant they occupy). No matter how stupid the pill, some swallow.

There was no agreement not to expand NATO East, Poland and other other Baltics states were free to make their own choices.

You posted demonstrably false statements about the treaties onto the thread.

When your claim is discredited, you just move onto the next bad faith argument or whataboutery or transparent both sidesism. Rinse and repeat.

Yes the UK is better than Russia. They negotiated the good friday agreement in good faith and intent to honour it as best as they could.

NATO was honouring its treaty with Russia and Ukraine was honouring its treaty with Russia.

As opposed to Russia.

You have provided exactly zero reason to believe Russia could be trusted to abide by any treaty that isnt backed by NATO.

• Advertisement

Yes it is your lie. You are the one dishonestly misrepresenting the article contents by deliberately omitting key parts of it. I do not make this accusation lightly but I have provided the evidence to justify it.

You are now quoting a 'new' article which just quotes the original article!

This is the part you are deliberately leaving out because it contradicts your misrepresentations:

Remember - this is a direct quote from the original article as to one of the reasons treaty talks were stopped. And the article does not support your claim of a practically signed treaty.

Your claim is a lie, without foundation and without merit.

Advertisement