Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

reminds me of the portraying of an even more difficult job of driving a LUAS tram. See the U tube - I think-where Doc Savage demonstrates the rigorous training that they have to go through

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

How can they tell if you’ve a tv or a monitor just by having a tv subscription? They just guilt people into telling them and unless you show them the tv they’ve no way of proving you got one.

Stop

There are plenty of people out there with a bit of coaching that could do that job with a bit of coaching and do it much better for less money. Just take sports , for example look at all the individuals coming on radio and TV that would talk for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The going rate according to RTE and NK. In the real world nobody else would be paying Tubs the wages he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People all over Ireland volunteer to man charity phonelines and take very serious calls i.e. Samaritans, Childline etc. Far more serious work that Joe Duffy does on his phone every day for 350K. Many of his caller's stories are manufactured to cause others to get involved. I knew someone who worked for Today FM doing exactly that kind of show where he used to get friends to ring in and start the ball rolling so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Vincent this is much worse than Golf Gate and surely RTE losing €1M over the past 5 or so weeks in licence fee revenue shows nothing is deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There are very obvious indicators that they have been overpaid. In the past 30 years only two presenters have jumped ship to go another station. The top ten have been having pay cuts imposed on them since the 2008 crash, but none of them have left. In one of the committee hearings the RTE chairwoman said about negotiating with the top earners..."We knew we were really only bidding against ourselves, that there was no market there". RTE weren't competing with anyone else for the "talents" services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Why not keep it simple and let the "market" decide the rates?

In the vast majority of companies you're looking for the best candidate for the job at the lowest you can get them for.

As we're such a small country there's limited Radio stations. Very limited prime time slots.

It's been mentioned numerous times this idea of if we don't pay them X they'll fck off somewhere else. There's very few places they can go and most don't have the talent to go anywhere else anyway.

RTE seem to go out of their way to find mediocre (at best) then pay through the nose for them.

I would rather listen to an intern learn their trade on a median wage(there would be no shortage of applicants and lets face it, the likes of Sarah Mcinerney sounds like one anyway) than pay the likes of Ray Darcy 400k+

I would assume that the toy show - the musical- would have been aimed at RT’s much loved children of Ireland especially , so it defies logic why he was not rolled out to flog the show to death. Also , it being a commercial venture - and , at the time, a BIT of a risk putting it on you would think that RTE would have pulled out ALL the stops to promote / advertise it. After all it was costing it little or nothing - it been done mainly through its own IN HOUSE advertising proceedure.

this would be well worth examining as to why the most obvious person that should have been rolled out to promote it was nowhere to be seen . Was he looking for too much money ; was he afraid of burnout, , ; was there a personality clash ; did he see it as a failure from the get go and did not want to be part of it and said nothing. ; was he in cahoots with somebody to develop another show of some sort and based on the toy show and make the proverbial million for each involved OR WHAT?

Does that profit the annual contribution from government. Also is RTE a similar-state body and if so is it suppose to pay a dividend. Similar state or otherwise I would expect that it would behave prudently and put profits into updating all aspects needing same, do more international programmes rather than further stuffing pockets of those that have got TALENT and the top administrators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

100% agree. Making the tv license automatic won't make RTE better, it will make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Yes, we need to be vigilant when we hear politicians saying that the Tubs fiasco highlights the need for reform in RTE and the way it is funded when quietly they are looking to remove RTE's accountability to the public and make it less independent of Government; effectively using the RTE crisis to introduce the exact opposite of what is needed to prevent future crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RTE becoming more of a Government mouthpiece.

I'm not sure to what extent this will happen in reality but such will be the paranoia about it in political circles that almost doesn't matter. We are likely to see behind-the-scenes bidding wars between the government of the day and the main opposition as to who can lavish the most largesse on RTE. And there will be little restriction on this largesse because the sums involved are chickenfeed in the context of overall government spending, especially with the exchequer as flush as it is right now. Even if RTE was getting €500 million a year from the taxpayer, that would barely make a dent on the taxation side...

Burnout from what? honestly he is talking poo in my opinion when he talks about burnout and resigning from the Late Late days after RTE find out that the gig is up on the secret payments. The interview a few days before tells it's own story. Did he ever answer the question put to him about communication to anyone prior to the statement about his retirement?

You can come to whatever conclusion you want on why Tubs wouldn't push the Late Late musical but in my own opinion it was money. Plus I would have said that long before this mess.

Oh I know normal gigs are turned down all the time as they are within guidelines by procurement etc. But would anyone turn down an RTE gig?

Oh you do request a junket :-) of course you can let a supplier know you want to go to XYZ.....hope they get the hint....seems Geraldine might have forgotten the expenses guidelines after that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

why Tubs wouldn't push the Late Late musical but in my own opinion it was money.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Motd isn't syndicated & I'd doubt if anyone was watching it overseas as the BBC haven't the rights to show it, nevermind on the world service - a radio feed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Two lls producers came up it during COVID. One is going to exec produce lls under kielty. The other is involved in programming/content high up too

Why are we trying to compare BBC and RTE?

BBC is a household name across the entire World. With coverage that is rivalled by very few.

RTE is a two bit operation that bring Renault on the beer and hires Lottie f**king Ryan.....not really a comparison is it?

As a nation we should expect similar quality from the public broadcaster

You have people in the radio fora stating Oliver Callan is a fine replacement for RT because he's not nearly as bad as RT.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Our expectation levels are far too low.

It's this sort of mentality that got Roy Keane sent home from the world cup.

• Advertisement

Excellent post. The whole “let’s replace someone we hate with someone far worse” is bizarre. Though we live in a world where Kilnaskully still gets shown and Callan’s Kicks gets commissioned for another year despite being about as funny as getting an ingrown hair on your knob.

Who said we are lower our requirements?

People are trying to compare BBC and its not even relevant to Ireland.

Ireland has excellent presenters, some of the best in the World. All working in other countries because we have Tubs and Lottie etc in Ireland. How is that for looking for similar quality? its time we asked for RTE to stop hiring their relatives and start hiring the talent we have available in Ireland. Not letting them head to BBC/BT etc

Roy Keane :-)

I have no idea what the other discussion is about but I think the point of view is on RTE Radio 1 you could put an inanimate carbon rod into the Tubs section and still get the audience he gets. If he is only doing an hour each day why bother getting up from the couch to switch the plonker off, even at that he is losing them by the thousands.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Comedy is subjective. Callan's Kicks is one of the few things - let alone comedies/sketch shows - that I like on RTE.

Isn't it an absolutely amazing coincidence that some of Tubridy's biggest supporters on the radio thread are also - just by coincidence of course - Callan's biggest critics? Some might say he clearly needs a different agent.

And for the record, when Callan is in replacing Tubs, he's presenting a light-hearted entertainment show, not a comedy or sketch show. He's prepared for the show, he's able to read cue cards without it seeming like he's never done so in his life, he's upbeat and positive without sounding contrived, fake, and insincere; and the show has a distinct absence of death, cancer, and misery. He's not just a better comedian/mimic than Tubridy, he's also a better chat show/entertainment show host.

I think it's more of a "you can come as a guest of RTE, with RTE" junket system than a "here's two tickets to the All Ireland Final, hope you enjoy it" type.

Neithier of them should be near the slot imho.

You should Tell Callan that. As all he seems to do is try to crack awful jokes and do impressions where he clearly isn't a good impressionist.

I'm not suggesting he's not better than RT but as I've stated here and on the radio thread. RT should not be the barometer for his replacement.

There's the guts of 250k here to fill that slot.

Surley we can do better than either of them ?

Have you heard Tubridy's impressions and accents in that hour? They're beyond atrocious.

I genuinely wonder if you've given Callan a chance at that time as he's not like you describe.

And why is it €250k for that slot? There's ABSOLUTELY NO reason to pay so highly for same.

Someone needs to maybe invite Callan for a coffee and break it gently to him that he’s about as funny as finding out your house was built with blocks containing mica.

That’s the thing with people who just aren’t funny - they never realise that is the case.

Sure, RT was useless too. Hence why we shouldn't use him as the benchmark

I'm just stating 250k as I assume RT was in around that. But totally agree with you, we shouldn't be paying 250k.

• Advertisement

I do think you should be well rewarded for presenting flagship shows and bringing in multiples of your salary in advertising. You also get a huge amount of abuse and criticism online and probably get badgered in the pub etc. The idea that any old mucksavage from Bog Trotter FM could rock up and present the show for 40k per year is nonsense.

If you are paying quarter of a mill per year then you can do better than Callan though.

This is all arse boxing anyway as Tubs will keep the slot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement