Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12% minimum wage increase recommended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Beginning to smell like 2007 again! If the government jack up the minimum wage they'll be able to jack up welfare payments again in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some businesses are milking it, particularly larger businesses/corporations etc, but most probably arent, as most businesses are sme's, and are probably barely getting things over the line....

...we really need to consider part paying such increases from the public domain, i.e. via taxation, particularly more so towards these bigger players, and deficit spending, to try reduce the pressure on these sme's....

...increasing welfare makes sense, as this money tends to be spent straight into the economy, and less so towards debt repayments, savings and other investments....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And here we go with the nonsense that the poorest workers in society don’t deserve to get paid more.

They’re hard working people and yet a 12 percent pay rise is ‘a little excessive’.

Remember that next time someone bitches and moans about people who claim social welfare but yet you’ve others saying the minimum wage increase proposals are ‘a little excessive’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Relatively few people in this country actually earn minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

It won't have the detrimental impact others are worried about so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t you know it’s terrible for the economy to give anything remotely reasonable to the lowest level workers?!

The “squeezed middle” get themselves all in a knot about the poorer classes getting anything, it’s an excellent way of keeping them distracted.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But they will probably end up spending the money in businesses that have had to increase their wages which they probably pass on to the consumer.

...stupid spending and stuff, stupid businesses creating jobs from the increase in spending in the economy, its just stupid i tell yea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

"Around 165,000 people, a group disproportionately made up of women, people with disabilities, young people and migrant workers, will be directly impacted by any increase."

From the linked article. Sounds like a lot of people will benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

It's waffle. That's what it is. Hoping to get a few likes on a webpage.

Nobody is talking about "dole scroungers" but you. How many people are on minimum wage seeing as you are so concerned about them? Don't worry I will wait while you search google to get some information

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Bring it on! The faster min wage is coming up the faster crash will be here. We can all go back to basics after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Plenty of people here sh*t on those who are on social welfare. If you aren’t aware of that then I would get accustomed before you start chatting nonsense that nobody is talking about it.

Why are you asking me how many people are on it? It’s in the article linked in the OP. Did you read it? Or did you just come in here to talk about ‘grown ups’ having a conversation whilst simultaneously acting like a child, and having zero self-awareness of it?

To save you some time:

”Around 165,000 people, a group disproportionately made up of women, people with disabilities, young people and migrant workers, will be directly impacted by any increase.”

You still haven’t said any reason why these workers shouldn’t get a pay rise, just that I am wrong.

Would you rather these workers get a pay rise? Or would you rather them stick two fingers up to those who don’t think they’re worthy and instead go back to social welfare and for it to come out of your pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

I’m all for minimum wage being increased if it there is some sort of caveat to it . It should be for all companies with x number of staff or x turnover

But genuinely the margins between survival and going out of business for some small businesses with 7/8 employees could really be a 12% increase for staff . There’s a lot of coffee shops , fast food places , newsagents, etc that genuinely could not afford this

It’s easy for the government to play this card and try to appear they are fighting for the little guy , easy when it’s not their money and they’ll give themselves a nice little public/ civil service pay rise with it

Again you are the only one talking about "dole scroungers" and "sh*t on social welfare"

Why would they go onto social welfare instead of working?

Because if they go working then you have the likes of you saying they shouldn’t get a pay rise.

Again I’d like to point out that you haven’t said anything as to why I am wrong in what I have said. Would you like to expand on that? You were the one who wanted to have the ‘grown up’ conversation after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Coffee shops, fast food?

Fast food is strongly profitable.

I received data this week from the owner of a small independent shop in a city centre.

Cost of selling beverages:

cup + lid + stirrer + milk + sachet of sugar + allowance for heating the water (but excluding wages + overheads) = 26 cent per cup

Tea sells for 2.00, so the gross margin is huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Based in this what does everyone think the next public sector pay talks will look like, surely you wouldn't begrudge your teachers, nurses ,garda and civil servants who keep the country running a similar increase...

...or maybe we should try to increase taxes on more wealthier companies such as large corporations, and possible partly increase the income of low wage workers from public means, i.e. by running a deficit....

...i wouldnt like to see the size of their energy bills of late!

• Advertisement

Considering we are losing doctors, nurses and teachers because the pay and conditions are so sh*t, then why not?

Plenty here, again, who would oppose it, but it’s all in the name of bitterness really.

Rent, electricity and wages you left out which are the major overheads so the example is pointless. The gross margin is not huge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

85% gross margin is very strong.

Generosity and people in this day & age don't really mix

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think the example of independent cafes, shops etc being under pressure over this is a bit of a red herring.

If an extra 1.40 per hour per staff member sends a business over the edge, it wasn't viable to begin with. How productive was that staff member to begin with?

A cafe for example, if they employ a staff member to make coffees, might make ten coffees per staff member an hour. The 1.40 increase adds 14cent per coffee.

If the cafe is highly popular, a staff member could make 30 coffees an hour. 3.5cent extra per coffee. A 1percent price increase roughly for a 12 percent increase in wages.

If your staff member is only making 3 coffees an hour, a coffee goes up by 46c per cup. But you'd have to question the business model of employing someone to sell 3 coffees an hour in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Work is supposed to pay but it's not, especially when it comes to minimum wage and all workers who work deserve at least a living wage. Lots of people out there breaking their backs and barely making an living. Some people will tell them to upskill but if everyone done that, they'd be none doing these type of jobs and we saw that during Covid these people were essential but it seems not as essential to have a living wage.

People who work should be able to be able to pay rent and bills and live decent lives, not living week to week wasting away you're precious valuble time just so a select few get to live out the best of their lives at the expense of yours.

We keep hearing that it'll increase inflation but that was and still is happening right now, we have greedy corporations taking the piss! It's always funny that most of the people saying that minimum wage shouldn't be increase are not on that wage themselves and quite a number of them would be well off. I thought jobs were there to help people make a living?

Ultan Courtney caused some surprise when he told an Oireachtas committee that the commission had received submissions from a number of workers arguing against larger rises in the minimum wage rate on the basis that it might threaten their future employment.

I don't think i really believe this unless they have cheap foreign labour that they imported for this type of work just like when Covid the whole country was supposed to be closed down yet we were getting people in from abroad to pick strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pull the other one, I got charged 4 euro for a mocha yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

12% a recommendation only,not compulsory.But it is election time-soon.Should take care a sizeable part of the 65 Billion "windfall".Will,also bring into question the survivability of many small businesses.Cost piled upon costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The likes of Keelings will be up s**t creek if this goes through, although are they even paying minimum wage already?

Advertisement