Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When downcow gets antsy about football and rugby he can't help revealing his bitterness and sectarianism.

Jesus, if the players and supporters are happy, why would he or I be getting upset about it?

Life is all about victimhood and division for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am not getting upset. I am using your measure to decide if nationalists are happy with OWC. I think it is a silly unreliable measure, but since you were holding it up I thought I would test it.

I said nothing about counting out Derry because it was predominantly catholic. I said the team played in the league of Ireland and that Derry football had a particular issue with sectarianism.

endless players from the Falls road etc have chosen ni over roi. I know it doesn’t fit well with you, but you’re the guy said all must be well if they are happy to play

Feeny is 20 miles from the city of Derry and in the heart of county Derry. You have obviously done a bit of searching so could confirm what I said that only one player outside Derry had ever chooses roi. Okane grew up as a Derry supporter as well I’d the team with the sectarian problem.

This is francie annoyed that the little wind up he used on me about ni players happy to play for irfu, has backfired in style. Now he will head for personal insults etc

I agree it’s pointless. I am simply demonstrating the nonsense of francie saying that because ni players choose to play for Irish rugby , then all is 100% and they want nothing changed. I thought we were on the same page about his nonsense on this?

• Advertisement

Downcow - they are happy to play for the IRFU national / provincial and club teams.

Nobody was trying to wind you up. You keep mentioning ‘unhappiness’ and it is all your unhappiness.

Why you get worked up over this and who soccer players are happy to play for is very revealing.

You brand everyone from Derry as Republicans and treat it as a place apart. You even brought religion into it. That is sectarian.

Now francie I am not going to keep repeating the obvious.

1) I specifically said roi went after ‘catholic’ football players. That is fact. The only Protestant they went after was Paddy McNair and he has said himself that that was because they thought he had a catholic name.

2) your the one raised who people play for as a measure of their happiness. I just applied it to a team you dispise and it’s backfired.

3) you say I brand everyone from Derry as republicans. Just lies and just silly. I said Derry football has a problem with sectarianism that most other clubs in ni have worked hard to eradicate - but it’s like the irfu You can’t itaticate it if you don’t first admit there is a problem. Derry city has all sorts, from rampant republicans to rampant loyalists

Give it up downcow.

If sports people are happy to play for a team, let them.

If supporters are happy, let them be.

Just because somebody plays for the republic doesn’t mean they are in the RA and religion has and should have nothing to do with it.

Alex Kane nails it here. How many will be easier to persuade as the British push them away?

Great so we got there. My feeling entirely. I think we have now agreed you shouldn’t read anything into who someone plays for, as a test of how comfortable they are with that teams trappings. Job done. Let’s move on.

• Advertisement

Don’t bring it up again so.

Get over the fact the players and supporters of all Ireland teams are happy to support and play., same as those in the IFA and FAI and Team Britain.

“Don’t bring it up again so” ….as he proceeds to bring it up 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I've named two in that post, Downcow. Mark Sykes and Marc Wilson, so no I don't agree that only one outside your sharpshooter fallacy of excluding not just Derry City, but anyone you think might be a bit too close to it. I suppose Mark Sykes and Marc Wilson might have visited Derry city once, so you can try and exclude them and all.

Strabane, Limavady and Dungiven are also within 20 miles of Derry city, so what? As I said it sounds like you're arbitrarily removing 1/6th of, 'OWC' because it doesn't suit your argument, and instead trying to blame it on an inherent sectarianism among the people of Derry. The people of Derry are no more inherently sectarian than the people of Down.

I'm somewhat in agreement with you on the IRFU topic, that isn't an excuse to talk absolute b*llocks about soccer.

Edit; I've done a bit of digging and I can see where you've gone arse about face. Sykes is the first Belfast born player since 1946 to play for RoI, not the first Northern born player in 46 years. I suggest you read your sources more closely before making b*llocks points.

Fionn I am not sure why you are struggling to see the point I am making.

I am saying nothing about the people of Derry.

Derry fc play in the league of Ireland (through no fault of their own), so those connected with that team will have an understandable relationship with FAI

derry fc fans are notorious for sectarian singing that could not be tolerated in the Irish league but seems to be accepted in LOI

ok there is two, and actually I can think now of a third, who was a prod from Bangor who couldn’t get on the ni team This actually gives the lie further to francies claim that ifa blocked them

the point is that countless nationalists played for ni and racked up 1,000s of caps, while 2 choose to play for roi and racked up 26 caps

I am absolutely not saying that that means those players were all comfortable with the trappings - indeed I would argue the opposite. I am simply taking francie silly theory to the ridiculous to show him that players choices are limited sometimes and you should not disingenuously use that to argue a selfish and ridiculous point. that’s all

edit I am just reading your edit Fair enough but even stronger case so no Belfast player has chose to play for roi in almost 80 years. Some on here would lead you to believe they are flocking there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I see the point you're trying to make, you're just making a balls of it by first trying to exclude the second largest city in, 'OWC', and then when that wasn't sufficient, deciding that a twenty mile radius was also grounds for exclusion, while also mistaking, 'the first player from Belfast' with, 'the first player from NI'.

There's a point in there, you're just doing the absolute worst job possible of making it.

There is no disingenuousness in saying the players and supporters are happy to play and support a team that you don’t even follow.

Your bitterness has you in contortions only watching the Ulster players in a game.

How fecking sad would you have to be to be that way about a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Derry fans at it again. The pertinent point here is that we have a group of posters who lose it every year on the 12th around sectarian activity on one day a year. At the same time, they ignore and condone sectarian activity on an ongoing basis at every celebration and every commemoration on the other side. Typical hypocrisy.

We had the excuses for the Irish women's football team, we had the excuses for the GAA players celebrating, who is going to put forward excuses for the Derry City fans?

Did you find that chilling too?

The marching season goes on for months blanch.

I have the same opinion of this as I have of sectarian displays during the months mentioned above. It should not happen.

However this is a spontaneous event, it is not organised by sectarian organisations and is not being done where the other side live.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is in those unguarded moments such as the Derry City, Ireland women, and GAA celebrations that the true prejudice is revealed. It is a black mark against us as Irish people, something to be ashamed of, something to give us pause for thought, something to remind us of the glasshouse we live in before we throw any stones, but unfortunately, something that is lost on the good republicans among us, which only makes us more ashamed of them.

Didn’t take too long for francie to excuse it - “However this is a spontaneous event, it is not organised by sectarian organisations”.

Here’s one just came up on my Twitter this second. Same city, same ****, and I assume same week. …And ORGANISED

Post edited by downcow on

• Advertisement

Can’t agree with how persnickety you are being over this. No one could deny that there is a phenomenon going on in football in Derry that is different from the rest of ni. I am not blaming them exclusively for the situation that sees them playing in the league of Ireland, but that inevitably gives a different focus to those players and supporters and the hinterland of Derry.

the fact is that when we (ni supporters) here of a good player coming through; if he is a catholic and from the north west then we expect to lose him to ni. If he is anything other than that combination, then we expect to keep him. The facts bear that out.

so if you are suggesting there is no phenomena going on in Derry football then I think it is you that is misreading the situation.

None of this is relevant to the discussion, Barb that it debunks francie theory that if you play for a team then you have no issue with the trappings.

Ah you didn't know we were a divided society?

Of course you pretend to be above it, but we know you aren't.

Only one side's actions are 'chilling' for blanch.

Go on, tell us which is worse, sectarianism and bigotry organised by a sectarian organisation annually or spontaneous singing of a song by individuals?

Both are wrong but which one needs attention most?

Ha ha ha 'debunks Francie's theory'???

Go on downcow show us all these players and supporters so unhappy that they don't go to games or play in the IRFU? Show us the Ulster RFU complaining about it rather than as linked, agreeing with the arrangement?

I'll wait for you to debunk.

You are still completing missing it (or pretending to). The whole point is that the players and fans who are uncomfortable just keep their heads down.

I believe it is an unacceptable situation that makes me very uncomfortable when I attend ni games and see the catholic players and fans silent during the anthem. Of course you argue that should be ignored. I don’t ignore it and have been proactive to remove gstk. I love the team and value every player.

now you can decide for yourself whether you are ok that the ni players and fans are silent and heads bowed during the SS at irfu matches. I don’t care that much as I don’t follow them. It’s your responsibility and if you and your country can’t rise above sectarianism then that’s up to you.

that the ni players and fans are silent and heads bowed during the SS at irfu matches.

Here's 4 videos of the anthem being played in various years, not a single player with 'head bowed', nor anyone in the crowd shots either.

(303) The Irish anthem echoes around the Aviva Stadium | Guinness Six Nations - YouTube

(303) The Anthems from Ireland vs England at Croke Park - YouTube

(303) Irish national anthem Ireland v France 2013 - YouTube

(303) Amhrán na bhFiann at the Aviva Stadium | Ireland v Scotland | Guinness Six Nations - YouTube

The point is, the IRFU rose above, and found an inclusive arrangement that players and supporters are clearly ok with.

If the NI soccer team did that too, that's fine, well done.

Don't spoof to try and pretend there is hostility and division, that's all in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Have we defined any parameters for the outline of what a United Ireland will look like? Whats happened that discussion? Have we ever talked about how this might be done - realistically. How could two independent states continue to operate while a new state is being built in the background? A new, independent country and island - not the republic of ireland plus the 6 counties.

Why arent the politicians and public talking about those kind of things? If you dont start the conversation, then you arent ready to do anything. The conversation hasn't been started yet if you ask me - its all just reactionary imaginings by randomers on the internet.

Ive yet though to hear a good, solid reason to explain the lack of this kind of talk. Look at britian, unionists and brexit. Thats the direction a UI is going - something thats not discussed, where no-one understands any of it and the real discussions never occur. The fantastical naivety of 'we cant afford that' seems to stunt any kind of intelligent thought on the subject.

I think Unionism is in the process of melting away. All it ever was, was a Them v Us carry on where one side lived off the spoils off the other. You still see that in the marches where a gay dutch king, who was more interested in fighting the french and had a mostly catholic army is used as an excuse to belittle 'themuns' because of some battle the anniversary of which is almost two weeks before the 12th. On the 12th July there are homophobes celebrating a gay man - I find that hilarious.

My point is though, unionism wont survive into a UI as that need for separation and triumphalism will be long gone from society. Unionism at the minute looks like its the spoilt child who has only recently started being scolded. They know they cant do what they used to, but they miss having all the power, say and control over 'themuns'. Stormont right now is a classic example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The UK Gov now have to ensure the NIP is now fully implemented, otherwise their precious CPTPP fails.

Japan, NZ, Australia & Canada all insisted, as part of the UK accession process, that a cause was written in. This was directly due to the UK not adhering to its obligations and back tracking on the NIP with planned legislation overriding a bilateral agreement. This was in the run up to March 2023, a date from which the UK Gov suddenly started to be reasonable in its rhetoric...

(a) Windsor Framework: In order to appropriately address the 1998 Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement and the objectives of the Windsor Framework to avoid a hard border between mainland Ireland and Northern Ireland, a provision relevant to Chapter 29 of the CPTPP on Exceptions and General Provisions was inserted in the Protocol on the Accession of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (hereinafter referred to as “Accession Protocol”). The provision also ensures that a balance of rights and obligations is maintained by the Parties.

https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/tpp/tppinfo/2023/pdf/20230716_cptpp_report_en.pdf

Yes I was reading about that.

They basically will have to toe the Protocol line wherever they want a trade deal. Nobody (including Unionists) trusts them anymore.

I never mentioned hostility and division. Nice pivot, or not

I am saying catholic ni football players would feel more included if we didn’t play gstk

i am saying northern rugby players would feel more included if they didn’t play SS

that’s consistency

• Advertisement

Yeh, they bow their heads they feel so excluded, isn't that what you claimed? 😁

As I said to you before, GSTQ/K was never the anthem of NI, it is the anthem of England. There is zero comparison.

The SS is the anthem of Ireland and Ireland's Call, in the absence of a NI anthem, is used to make people (players and supporters) feel included and it demonstratively works. There is no bowing heads...only in your head when you want to try and be divisive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement