Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working communities & spaces in Limerick

Options
  • 18-07-2023 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I've been living in Limerick for a while now and I've failed to find any community of remote workers or a space that is supported & used.

LEDP/Spark in Roxboro is a very good facility but it is not supported or used. Sometimes I've been in there on my own despite there being 20+ hot desks. There is only 1 or 2 regular users as far as I could see. I enquired and viewed the Engine Hub in town but the prices are astronomical and there's nobody using it (no surprise due to the costs).

The Grow Remote community seems to be inactive.

Is there any co-working hub or community that is active in the city?

There are small towns in Clare and other counties with very active co-working hubs and communities but I can't seem to find this in Limerick City at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

AFAIK the Belltable does hotdesking, but I'm not sure if it's for particular types of workers.

I suspect most houses in Limerick city/suburbs have good internet, (rather than dependingo n the rural broadband scheme in more remote parts), and people may be more likely to have a spare room than in larger cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keane10

Thanks, must look into that, I've worked from the Belltable café before.

I get why cities may be less likely to have these remote working communities / facilities as many people moved away from cities to work remotely in rural towns during the pandemic.

For me, it's more about getting out and about to meet other people who work remotely or for themselves as after 3 years working from home, I'm starting to miss the social side of having office colleagues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I agree with you about wanting the social aspect. I just cannot justify the price of the co-working spaces in Limerick, even if I only go once a week. Used the free government vouchers for the bedford row one and like you've noticed, I was the only person there.

Sometimes I go to Habit Lounge on Shannon St on a Friday and work there for the morning. Wouldn't be ideal if you were having a lot of calls but I need the change of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keane10

Thanks. I'm trying out the Regus on Bedford Row at the moment (I assume that's the one you've been to). In fairness, it's cheaper than the Engine Hub on Cecil St (which is funded by the Council!), but still not that many using it as you noticed.

I must try Habit - I've about 3 or 4 different cafés I frequent but I'd prefer somewhere I can spend the full day at rather than somewhere for a few hours.

Advertisement