Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This. There's a reason I'd not heard Blink 182 in 20-something years, until Ed's show became Ed Smith's Today FM rocks. Though apparently some people must still like them, cos they're on tour again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thats because he has to explain stuff to Matt that he's not aware of in the 5 at 5 and 6 at 6.

"... and we'll come back to this story about RTÉ again, no doubt, as the Public Accounts Committee resumes again tomorrow.

Here's Ben now with the 5 at 5.

Ben, who was up in front of the Public Accounts Committee today?"

"Well, Matt, as we've just heard [literally, for the past eight minutes or so!], the RTÉ board were answering questions this afternoon..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Nadine O Regan was filling in on Rising Time on RTE over the weekend.

It's a great show by the way, a quick bit of chat followed by music. Rinse and repeat.

I find it amazing that Today FM let herself and Louise Duffy go and have kept some of the presenters who are on weekdays and at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Does anyone know why they are playing Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child? Sometimes it's from a movie or whatever. I love the song, but I'm wondering why every show is playing this song that was originally released in 2005? I know we get Sophie Ellis Bextor etc, but at least they were famous some years ago - I never heard of Rogue Trader before the last couple of months. Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just their current oldie, they tend to do this.

Pick out a few old classics, and then they are played across various shows for a month or so, then ditched again for new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Does Dara Quilty have a man crush on Ray Foley?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

He has said on a podcast I heard him on before that Foley was one of his favourite DJs when he was a kid and was a big part of the reason he got into radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Knew there must have been something alright...

Constant mentioning of Foley and seems to try be like him a bit. He should just do his own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well he is covering his show so I’d expect plenty of mentions of the guy he’s currently covering for. TodayFM also persist with playing the jingles of the presenter too when the presenter in question is absent.

I’ve wondered why they haven’t found a more regular slot for Quilty. He seems to have gone from very occasional Christmas time cover to being the main super-sub across the schedule. Maybe it suits him to be filler-in guy rather than having some off-peak weekend show? Didn’t he quit 98 FM to go off and become a musician? Guess that hasn’t really worked out.

He’s probably a natural fill-in for Foley as his style is fairly similar. In fairness I think he’s ok, not the worst voice on the station.

I had to change stations this morning when I heard Louise Cantilon. It’s very hard to listen to her scratchy hoarse voice early in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

He left 98FM to move to America. He’s done some stuff with MTV and probably can’t commit to full-time work or even a weekend show here as he’ll need to spend a certain amount of time in either Ireland or America each year, depending on what visa (or green card) he has

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

RIP Sinead O'Connor, the 7 o' clock show has no mention of it. Not up to date on the Irish women's soccer team either

John Creedon playing Sinéad all night, still on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

More Sinead O Connor songs on 1 hour of Today FM that I listened to today than in the last 5 years on the station.

Pity they wouldn't have celebrated her music when he was alive.

It was similar when Bowie died. And Terry Hall last Christmas. They are all tributes and how great was such and such for a day or two. And then it'll go back to same auld sh1te music again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm listening to today fm for 15-20 years at this stage and they've finally found a dj I instantly change the channel for. I utterly despise his voice and his entire shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jaysus. Their whole act is glamourising eijitry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Honestly if you think the 2 johnnies are good try nothing else more. Peace and quiet trump those two lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not my cup of tea either but they do seem popular, even within the confines of the M50, not my place to tell the country that what I enjoy is better than what they enjoy. It'd be great if we could do away with this Dublin/Rest of Ireland tribalism when it comes to national radio.

Anyway there's been a bit of a like for like swap between Bauer and RTÉ. Tara Walsh has left Spin for 2FM though no specific slot yet. Probably taking the "back at Base" job for outside broadcasts, while the previous holder of that job, Shannon Keenan leaves Montrose for Marconi House, though I'm not sure which station she's joined.

• Advertisement

Tara Walsh didn’t leave Bauer for 2fm. She left to become a ‘creative strategist’ for GreenCastle Media. She probably just wants some cover shifts to keep herself in radio. Shannon Keenan’s Instagram bio says she’s at Spin, 98Fm and Today Fm but it’s not clear what she’s doing

I heard Matt Cooper doing his tribute show to SOC tonight, up there front and centre, pity he couldn't be bothered to present his own show a bit more regular, but hey, that won't get him any plaudits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Wow, should they chain him to the desk and make sure he doesn't take any time off?

No, but he has been missing a lot of time in recent months. He's nearly like one of the contractors at RTE radio 1, who gey a huge amount of time off.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Generally contractors wouldn’t be paid for any time they take off.

Matt’s been there a long time so I don’t know if that still applies to him but they would actually have to go to work in order to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Shannon Keenan is the new showbiz person for Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Shannon’s doing showbiz across the Bauer stations, I’ve also heard her on the Spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Not my cup of tea in the morning, I'll be honest

Is Shauna off? Tara Walsh filled in for her when she wasn’t in (or maybe this was before Shauna came back). Tara would have done the showbiz news on Spin at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Dara in for D&D this week, woeful hard on the ears, pure scutter. I know Louise Cantillons hoarse voice can be grating for some but I'd listen her on a 24 hour loop over Quilty for an hour.

Advertisement