Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastbound and Down [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

sacha baron was great in his cameo, enjoyed the show

Just after watching episodes 3-8 and quite torn on the series as a whole. There were some great moments but overall it all felt far to familiar and played out like a best of.

The final episode had done great moments and Kenny's screenplay was the kind of cringe inducing trash you'd expect but there was nothing in the series that felt fresh or all the interesting. The show was always been at its strongest when it's wallowed in the dumps and gone to a dark place. Kenny happy is not all that interesting and giving him a happy ending just felt like a cop out. I'd much preferred if Kenny had been miserable and alone as I always thought that the show would end with Kenny's suicide.

Anyone else find Marilyn Manson to be incredibly creepy looking in his cameo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I know I'm only 10 years late to the party but watched Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD over the weekend. Some absolutely hilarious stuff in there, and there's more on the outtakes and bloopers etc. on the DVDs. Shocked it took me 10 years to watch it but life got in the way.

Standout moments for me:

Season 1: Pat Anderson's Jonas Brothers line.

Season 2: The game entrance with Hulk Hogan entrance music. Michael Pena's reactions are so funny too and really add to to it:

And I think I'm in love with April Buchanon.......and her amazingly beautiful...teeth.

Aside from the comedies mentioned, she's also in Hell or High Water (an excellent watch btw) from a few years back.

Extra: also can't believe some of the people McBride got to appear in this. Aside from the usual comedy actor ensemble, there's John Hawkes (he's an Academy Award nominated actor not known for comedy) as Power's brother, Michael Pena, Matthew McConaughey, Don Johnson and many more in the first 2 seasons alone. And I know there's more to come in Seasons 3 and 4. How on earth did he get all these people to appear in it?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭adaminho

This was used by a poster as a rage quit on the soccer forum! It's still talked about years later!

• Advertisement

It truly is an epic scene. I laughed so much at it. Have watched it a few times since. I think those of us old enough to have grown up with wrestling and Hulk Hogan appreciate it even more.

Love that someone used it on here - it’s how I’m resigning from my current job if that day comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's my favourite comedy show of the past decade. Seasons 1-3 are hilarious, but I thought season 4 was awful. They had wrapped the show at the end of S3, and given it a great ending, but they were tempted back by HBO money and spoiled an otherwise classic show. Oh well. I have the DVD box set of seasons 1-3 and just act like 4 doesn't exist. I'm curious to see what U make of season 4.

S3 is great. It's basically Rocky 4 with Jason Sudeikis in the Apollo Creed role and a Russian rival (Ivan) for Kenny. Kenny also has to rescue Stevie from sexual slavery as a Geisha :)

The outtakes are brilliant too. Especially Stevie's dark secret in Season 1.

Feck it, I'm just gonna watch the whole thing again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Never was grabbed by Eastbound And Down..

.. but loved Vice Principals and The Righteous Gemstones.

Is Eastbound the best thing Danny and Jody have done? Maybe I've missed out!

I think they peaked with Eastbound and Down. I couldn't get past a couple of episodes of those other shows because they seemed like pale imitations of E & D and the humour was old hat. E & D was a wild, crazy show and that's why I loved it. One of the original creators of the show, Ben Best, who played the bartender Clegg, died of drugs and had by all accounts ruined his relationship with cocreators Danny McBride and Jody Hill, so maybe his wild streak was missing from subsequent shows. McBride's recent work seems very safe and acceptable to Hollywood whereas Eastbound was raw and they tried a lot of crazy stuff in it. At the time they were all unknowns and had nothing to lose when Will Ferrell give them their break. But the world has changed. McBride and Co have a lot to lose now. I don't think half of Kenny Powers lines would get on TV nowadays.

IMO, E&D is far superior to those other shows. It's much more raw and pure energy, the others seem filtered by comparison. As artvanderlay alludes to above, there's so much in E&D that wouldn't get on tv these days....forget the sexism, womanizing, drug use, and alcohol abuse alone, there's quite a few lines that would be classed as outright racist by current standards, joking or not. I've only done Seasons 1 and 2....but these are crucial pillars on which the show is built.

E&D is outrageous - the others are safe and very much toned down by comparison. There's no way a show like E&D would get made today, or if it was it be so so toned down as to make it bland.

It's kinda sad we've become so PC in our comedies tbh.

@Basq - I'd absolutely revisit this. I would be shocked if you don't like it given the other shows you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Will be doing 3 and 4 this weekend hopefully so will report back after that.

Glad I was the inspiration for a rewatch! ;)

Kenny's parting words to Vida in S2:

"That sweet tailpipe of yours did have me charmed. It put a spell on me, but all the ass magic in Mexico can't change Kenny Powers from his core beliefs. I'm not an ass man. I'm a tit man. I like big ass boobs - now, and forever. I'm not like a black guy, Vida" 🤣 I think she replied something sarcastic like "I'm so happy for u"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I actually prefer Vice Principals to this. E&D has more episodes where things meander, the quality is more volatile. I have episodes in each season which could be ranked among my favourites whereas VP is very tight knit, clear beginning, clear end - a brilliant 2 season run in my view which wraps up perfectly, a far superior ending to what E&D got. I think VP gets better with every episode. S2 is the best thing McBride has created.

Think S3 is my least favourite season of Eastbound actually. Season 4 Episode 2 is one of my favourites of the entire show so automatically elevates it higher than S3 which has no standout episode.

Later than planned as I had a lot of stuff on but finished Season 3, really enjoyed it, and yes, as many have said, a natural ending to it. Really enjoyed it, a very good season IMO.

Like Jason Sudeikis in most stuff (hate Ted Lasso though) so was great to see him doing Jason Sudeikis stuff in it, but disappointed the Shane character died so early in it though if I'm being honest as the Kenny and Shane tag team was great. That said, the Top Gun funeral speech had me in stitches.

Will hopefully get to S4 this weekend.

Finished S4 late last night this morning (one of the hidden benefits of severe sleep apnea). Really enjoyed it, don't get the hate for S4 TBH.

Highlights from S3 and S4 for me were,

The eulogy at Shane's Funeral:

S4 Kids baseball scenes, Stevie in top form in both:

The Ja Rule line here had me in stitches, so of the time:

Stevie's evolution in S4 was a fun watch. And S4, E2 when he turns full KP on the TV show was great too.

Definitely up there as an all-time great show for me.

Kenny bringing a Big Mac to Shane's grave and telling him that "all our plans are coming together" kills me :) Also he picks a fight with a squirrel who tries to steal the burger; "back up dog!".

Advertisement