Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh system. Tenda or TP link

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

obi604 wrote: »
    BY this, do you mean that the Eir F3000 would work with just 1 TP link.

e.g. have Eir F3000 at incoming line location, then put the 1 x TP link upstairs (or whatever)
    I think he mean this
    https://www.eir.ie/smartwifi/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭obi604

With these mesh systems. Let’s say I put the ‘2nd unit’ upstairs at my desk. And gives me strong WiFi etc. Can
    I then connect an Ethernet cable from this to my desk computer and get maybe faster speeds due to it being wired.

Or does the Ethernet scenario only work if you have the ‘2nd unit’ physically wired to the first unit. .

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

With these mesh systems. Let’s say I put the ‘2nd unit’ upstairs at my desk. And gives me strong WiFi etc. Can
    I then connect an Ethernet cable from this to my desk computer and get maybe faster speeds due to it being wired.

Or does the Ethernet scenario only work if you have the ‘2nd unit’ physically wired to the first unit. .

Yes you can.

chrisire wrote: »
    Yes you can.

Would this give a more reliable and faster speed than over connecting via wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

Would this give a more reliable and faster speed than over connecting via wifi?

Has for me,using one of them this way for the xbox and its perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

BY this, do you mean that the Eir F3000 would work with just 1 TP link.

e.g. have Eir F3000 at incoming line location, then put the 1 x TP link upstairs (or whatever)

If you want to get by with just one extra box, you will need to use the Eir Smart WiFi hub in tandem with Eir's F3000. No TP-link required. If you go with TP-Link, you will need a pair of devices to achieve the same result. The Eir F3000 supports Mesh WiFi internally - but you need to use a compatible Mesh device with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You definitely get faster speeds if 2nd unit physically wired to 1st.
    Especially if you on gigabit package. Most of Meshes from TP LINK barely do 150 mbps if units not connected to each other via Ethernet.
    As for the computers connected Wired vs Wireless. Depending of computer you have. Some of them limited 100mbs wired and could go faster wireless instead .
    ps. If you have WiFi blackspot , you not putting 2nd Mesh unit there ( unless it is wired to 1st), you placing it half way between 1st unit and black spot.

Hi, if I do tit like you say : Leave ISP router running in normal mode and disable WiFi. Then put mesh devices in access mode

Does this mean I lose out on parental controls that Deco would offer?

I have 500 meg broadband, would the decos limit this to about 100?

You will not be able to use the parental controls in the Deco if you run it in Access Point mode. Your ISP router should have parental controls, which you can use?

There is no reason why Deco should limit bandwidth to 100k.

I guess there is but would not be as user friendly or handy as tp link etc.

I know bridge mode brings some risks.

Very high level what does bridge mode do versus access mode?

• Advertisement

Very briefly, it is the Internet security equivalent of leaving the keys in your hall door. It will allow the bad guys into your home, and your ISP will no longer be able to protect you.

If you have to ask these questions, you shouldn't be doing it. I accept that the parental controls on Deco may be more user friendly, but it's not worth it if you and your kids get exposed to the worst security risks on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

But a Deco in Router mode would have an equivalent firewall etc to an ISP router. As long as you don't use any of the LAN ports on the router for anything but the Deco what's the increased risk?

Leaving unprotected LAN ports on the ISP router is a huge risk. Can you guarantee nobody else is going to try to connect to these? (eg children trying to bypass the parental controls). Perhaps - if you lock it in a press? You also need to know enough about networking to configure an alternative router properly. If you call your ISP for support, they will no longer be able to help you, as you have disconnected the router to which they have remote access. They also won't be able to flash in any routine software patches, and you will need to do your own software upgrades on the Deco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I have the same mesh units (connected to a 3/4G mobile RUT240 router).

The KN guys are coming to connect me to the NBP fibre tomorrow and my ISP has sent me out a TP-Link Archer router which also has mesh functionality. Question is though, are the 2 systems compatible? Can I use the existing 3 Tenda cubes all as satellite units connected to the TP-Link router wirelessly or will I have to have one plugged into the router and just have 2 satellite cubes?

Tenda Nova might be alright system for 3g/4g router , but unless you happy with 100 Mbps wireless speeds don't go this road .

Tp-Link and TENDA not compatible devices of course, if you choose to use Tenda you have to disable WiFi on ISP router and connect 1st Tenda with Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Also its likely the TP Link Archer is not compatible with their own popular Deco line, you will probably need another TP Link router or extender(s) with Onemesh to set up a mesh network if required.

Hi,

Have been running Tenda Nova MW6 Mesh system for almost a year now, happy with it and has taken away black spots etc

disabled WIFi on eir.

Will be switching from Eir to Sky this week for broadband.

Do I just have to disable wifi on my sky ISP router?

Or do I have to delete and reset all my Tenda mesh stuff

Did you use Bridge mode when you were with Eir? Sky don't support Bridge mode, so in this case you would need to reconfigure your Tenda APs in Access Point mode. If you are already in Access Point Mode, then you can probably just switch of the Sky WiFi.

yeah. I had ‘bridge’ mode with eir.

f3ck, will this access port mode alter my experience? (It’s been working fine with eir on bridge mode)

Yes - if you were using bridge mode with Eir, then you were using Tenda as your main router with WiFi and the eir box reverted to just being a modem. This meant you could use any additional features that Tenda offered in their router. If you are forced to migrate the Tenda devices to Access Point mode, you will lose any of those features, and you will be restricted to features that the Sky router offers. It will be a different experience, and will likely need you reset the Tendas.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I disabled wifi on my eir router. And tenda did all the wifi/mesh scenario.

from a Joe soap point of view, will wifi coverage be worse in this mode or any other issues?

edited.never mind

I am still on my old eir scenario and waiting for sky to come tomorrow.

in the tenda mesh app, it’s configured via bridge right now as stated

i don’t see any option for ‘access point’ though. Any ideas?

Gentle bump

question

Can I leave WiFi running on the sky box

and also have the tenda wifi running

and then choose which one suits?

EDIT: messed around with it in last hour.

connected up new sky broadband modem, all ok, left WiFi running on it, didn't touch any settings

(had tenda mesh powered off all this time)

Went to a black-spot in the house and it was indeed a black-spot for the new sky wifi

Then I powered on tenda mesh and started with primary node and connected it via cable to to the sky broadband modem and didn't touch any settings on the tenda app (still in bridge mode)

powered on the other 2 tenda boxes.

am offered 2 WiFi networks now, the sky one and the tenda one

Now when I go to the black-spot, its no longer a black spot as I can connect to tenda mesh wifi with good speeds etc

is this a bad way to run this?

Sorry for all the questions - I trust the opinion of the good people on here over that of the providers !!

Post edited by obi604 on

Not best practice, but its fine as long you can keep channels not overlapping , if not it might cause interference. Mesh system will communicate between nodes and adjust, sky wont.

It gets worse if you have A LOT of WiFi devices

Edit: if sky in modem mode - there is no firewall , isn't it....

Edit2: i guess Tenda takes care of all that

Noted.

Pardon my ignorance, bit how will tenda control the native sky WiFi.

It does not.

What mode is sky configured to? AP or bridge?

Not sure off the top of my head.

now a further change. all purely testing the waters etc

I logged in to sky broadband router earlier and de activated WiFi (both 2.4 and 5 G )

didn't touch anything on my tenda setup so the connection type is still in ‘Bridge’ mode

and working fine, getting 153 download, 53 upload in the ‘black spot’

so sky seems to work with tenda in bridge mode or maybe I’m missing something……,..

• Advertisement

You not missing anything, apart of "features" on your tenda

So your sky is serving as router (DHCP, NAT, Firewall + WiFI if left ON) . Tenda is just AP

Advertisement