Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOHPod - New Parcel Locker Service - Open Courier Access

Options
  • 13-02-2022 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

John Tuohy, the former boss of the courier companies Nightline and Parcel Motel, is setting up a new company called OOHPod.

"With OOHPod he aims to place “out of home” lockers in 1,000 locations across the island of Ireland by 2025. To achieve it, Tuohy has bolstered his team, bringing in Orla Sheils, who formerly headed Parcel Motel, as chief operating officer. Patrick Crean, formerly of Bank of Ireland and Channel 4 in London, has joined as chief technology officer."

"This week 91 lockers will open to the public in Jonesborough, Co Armagh, a new facility strategically placed to cater to online shoppers on both sides of the border. Tuohy says it will appeal to people from Drogheda, Dundalk and Monaghan, targeting 25,000 households. “We think it will be convenient for people to pop in there when they are doing cross-border shopping and order online to avoid delays,” he says.

"He says there is a place on the Irish market for OOHPod and the company won’t be in direct competition with Parcel Motel — which allows only UPS couriers to use its lockers. “This is open and agnostic infrastructure and UPS, just like any of the other couriers, are welcome to use our parcel lockers.”

More here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/parcel-guru-john-tuohy-thinking-outside-the-box-for-new-locker-plan-d0kkphkrl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I signed up for this as I live about 5 mins from the lockers in Jonesborough. I had a few questions when I signed up and they were very quick to respond. However, my first delivery should have been received by them anytime from Saturday to Wednesday at the absolute latest. I emailed them yesterday morning just to see if it had been received, as I know its a new setup so figured not everything may be running properly but I've not had a response. My account says I have no orders yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stevenbergin

Thinking of using the service - wondering did you end up receiving the package in the end?! What was your experience like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nicoladmurphy

I used it last week. When my package arrived they sent me a text and I picked it up. It was pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well the original package never arrived, but a replacement was sent out and that did arrive.

I was speaking with the lady in the office at Jonesborough and it seems they had some issues initially with delivery drivers not knowing where the building was or something.

But the issues seem to be most resolved now. I’ve had a couple of amazon deliveries where it’s been the Amazon own delivery driver and he’s tried delivering later in the evening and not been able to, but then he’s just gone back the next day at an earlier time thankfully.

Also been caught with a couple of amazon deliveries being classed as oversize and having to pay an extra £5 which is frustrating.

Think I’ll be sticking to post office collection for Amazon deliveries in future, where possible. But it’s definitely worth it for other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Housefree

Will this avoid Customs charges compared to getting the package sent from UK - IRE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Used it few times so far..

Very good service.

^ re question above, if you're buying from UK, customs charges isn't an issue - you might still get the odd seller who doesn't send / charges extra to send to NI but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

This service would be handy for some. I was hoping all this time that Hermes will simply open a pick up point in similar location since they deliver to NI anyways (so paying double could be avoided) but clearly they have no interest in getting any of the Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Just made and account, do you have to pay for the price of delivery first and then they give you the address that you send the parcel to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Would be handy with more locations nationwide. Two is definately not enough. Seeing how quickly they're adding new ones (well, sorry for being sarcastic) I'm struggling to imagine their target of 1,000 locations by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

I’ve noticed there are lockers in Ranelagh. Anyone know what’s happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

OOHPod sounds like a pod you go into for a quick shag. Kind of like those pay per use toilet cubicles you see on the street with the automatic door that opens really slowly. Except there's a bed in there instead of a jacks

I only messaged them about the Dublin lockers yesterday. They said you can use these lockers now as your delivery address so they must be up and running.

Just checked the website there and the Ranelagh one is there alright. Just noticed the IFSC one aswell. That'll be handier for me tbh

ahahaha, I can't get that image out of my head now!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Can Oohpod accept parcels that need to be signed for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Some Amazon drivers have issues with the Ranelagh locker. Anyone experience the same?

They don't seem to be able to accept Registered Post.

Parcel motel was a much better service.

Agreed with Register Post. so far had deliveries from Amazon, and other couriers, nothing yet via An Post.

They would want to up their game.

Registered post would be the only reason I would have to use them and they can't even do that.

Post edited by Big Gerry on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Some of their locations offer signed acceptance, it's those which are marked down as "oversized" on the location map!

My parcel has to be signed for?

That’s no problem. Locations offering Oversize facilities have staff to sign for your parcel. We will sign for your delivery when it arrives and they will place your parcel into the locker for you to collect. If Oversize is not available, we cannot sign for your parcel. Take a look at our locations for more details.

Sure not as nice as the good old parcelmotel solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Do Amazon couriers know how to use these? I'm getting pretty tired of trying to find out who has my parcel after getting the dreaded "parcel handed to resident" notification from Amazon. OOHPod have a location nearby, so if they can send stuff there instead, that would be an improvement.

Post edited by Polar101 on

• Advertisement

By any chance was this the Ranelagh Locker?

I thought I was the only one having similar issues with Amazon and other couriers using OOHPod Lockers.

Amazon Similar experience with original poster.

Amazon to home address with similar comment. Which I never received at the my address,

Amazon need to look into this (parcel handed to resident)

UPS Parcel was handed to resident, thankfully resident refused the parcel. Looking I contacted UPS to get parcel delivered to home address.

Now refusing to use OOHpod and Amazon until these issues are sorted out...

Post edited by edunne2010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Tried to use these this week. Amazon tried to deliver but failed delivery. Nothing oversized or didn't need to be signed for. Then few hours later got undeliverable message from Amazon and will get refund. Annoying as I paid priority for quick delivery.

Contacted oohpod via WhatsApp. Sent screenshot of order, they said address and everything looks right. No explanation of what went wrong or apology given I used their service as instructed on their website. Sent them screenshots of undeliverable message from Amazon which they've seen but no reply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wonder if Amazon are hesitant to deliver to this service, as they can't be seen to be shipping product for the Republic through a forwarder in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭robinbird

DHL refuse to deliver to these lockers.. No explanation from OohPod.. They don't respond to queries.. Anybody having similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 maxpet

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Akula

Do oohpod deliver across border without customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

So get it delivered to Northern Ireland and collect from there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: Closing this as its going against the Charter. I'm going to split the OOH conversation away as this is an AddressPal thread. The OOH thread will be closed as well, as its going against the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Has anyone tried a Sign For packet with An Post or any Courier?

I want to use this service for Registered Post and I've heard the postman won't put it into the locker if it needs to be signed.

The thing is aren't ALL couriers (like DHL/DPD/UPS etc.) 'signed for' nowadays? I'm not sure a courier would put it in there.

This means we can only go for non "Signed for" deliveries which is really only a letter or cheap packet.

What a joke. I'm surprised they can make money. A non 'sign for' is usually a letter that fits into my post box, and a packet almost always need a signature. What's the point?

Advertisement