Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Soldier detained in North Korea in apparent defection

Options
  • 18-07-2023 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭

Reports today of a US soldier sneaking into a DMZ tour group and then going across the border when he got the chance. He was then detained by the North Koreans. At the moment it’s looking like a defection since it is mentioned that the soldier was facing disciplinary action and was being taken to the airport to be shipped back when he managed to sneak off with a tour group.

This story reminds me a lot of James Joseph Dresnok, who similarly was facing disciplinary action during his Korean posting in the 60’s and defected across the border to North Korea. He then lived out his life there, dying in 2016.

At least with Dresnok, I could understand that during the early Cold War, North Korea was just another communist dictatorship and as mad as his actions were, he may not have know any better.

But in this day and age, any US soldier would surely know what kind of hell-hole North Korea truly is. Even if Pyongyang were to embrace this soldier, like they did with Dresnok, he would face a threadbare existence with an increasingly threadbare totalitarian state. It’s madness I feel.

Comments

Advertisement