Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

that certainly sums up the paddy's in power here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

30 years is but a grain of sand in the sea. 1798 rebellion in Wexford and the flowing few years had droughts,and higher levels of rainfall in tandem and had burnt 225 years less fossil fuels than now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - climate will always be changing to some extent. Problem is the pressure mankind is putting on natural systems like wetlands, natural forests etc. nowadays that used to buffer us against extreme rain and heat events. Ireland will not be immune either from having to address such issues in terms of landuse policies etc. Indeed if you look at countries like Nepal, Costa Rica etc. they already have done much work in this area restoring natural forests etc. in vulnerable areas to mitigate against flooding, soil loss etc. Countries that haven't like Pakistan, Haiti etc. are suffering the most atm as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And if you look at the 50% increase in flights, you realise that the majority of people don't give a sh... about climate change...... they rate their flights more important

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Drought was historically quiet common in Ireland, and not just of a few months duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There used to be summers were farmers could do hay the old way, weather was never like this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

hay got no nitrogen manure. Was old meadow, was cocked and rocked and often was saved rather than made. There were years in the fifties where hay was black.

where do we get the idea that “climate change” is a move from favourable conditions perpetually. It was never the case. The 17th century some of the coldest weather in a thousand years for example. What period are we looking to as beings the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I remember both my father and and a friends father tracing about the weather being so bad that they had to use sally bushes as a base for the trams of hay to rise them off the ground and the years where fodder levels were so low that they sold cattle for a tenner to not have them starve.

granted its stories but both men had very plausible accounts.

In the for periods. The early and mid 19th century seemed to have dry periods however deluges of rain a hurricanes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was it 1980 and 81 was very wet. A bit like this year. Impossible to save hay. Mind you we never had the weather forecasts we have now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

1983 was very wet. also 85 and 86 summers were wet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hopefully we'll get a good spell at the back end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The earth takes 365 revolutions of the earth to go around the sun.

Our solar system moves in the milky way galaxy at 800,000 km/h. In 90 seconds we've moved 20,000 km in space.

In 250 million years we'll have done one rotation of our galaxy.

The earth is 4.5 billion years old.

Plants evolved on the earth 700 million years ago.

Edit : for the cod Google what life was like 250 million years ago on earth back one galaxy rotation ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

To watch a fusion throw out a wrapped bale now is like heaven compared to what the previous generation had to endure. I'm old enough to remember hay rotting in the fields in the 80's. It was just buck-raked into the corner and left to rot.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Amazing insight that, albeit totally irrelevant to the point I was making🙄 - in any case you could say the same about most global issues like owning an i-phone and not giving a **** about child labour in the Congo were the most important device components are mined illegally - wonderful isn't?? 🎭️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It is relevant, flights use fuel which was made from fossils, fossils were the dinasaurs and such that feasted in the rainforests, burning fossil fuels, and cutting down rainforests is all harmful to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't see any point in reducing cattle numbers when flights are increasing at such a rate,

Climate change isn't going to affect me much, ironically the majority of those on flights will be affected and I've little sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

In 1816 there was hard frost into July and over a hundred thousand people died in Europe. Not denying climate change but if this is the worst we will have to endure I'll fully embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Climate change is an industry now. It has been hijacked by lifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This is it. People aren't willing to make proper sacrifices to do what they can. They'd rather buy an EV and a new more efficient phone. If climate change is going to be tackled peoples consumption on totally frivolous stuff has to be curtailed. Massive taxes should be put on fast fashion, the waste it causes is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Unfortunately Birdnuts your attitude is why nothing that’s being done now to “tackle” climate change will make any difference at all. There’s no point one sector being targeted and ignoring all others at the same time, it all needs to happen together.

The changes that are supposedly needed in farming to be the magic pill that solves all of this won’t make a blind bit of difference for as long as there are aeroplanes in the sky at the current rates and increasing all the time, and the amount of rubbish from China that modern people love spending their money on from Amazon or wherever continues.

If us in Ireland completely gave up on farming altogether and left the whole countryside to its own devices to grow wild again do you think that would solve the climate change issue? Like hell it would, the positive effect that such a move might have would be so small it wouldn’t even be possible to measure it.

Unnecessary foreign holidays and overnight couriers are causing more harm to the climate than all the farming in the world a hundred times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was only talking to two school mates at a wedding recently about the bad spring in 13, thats only 10 years ago and were not yet 30. Every generation has extremities in weather and i suppose us rural dwellers would notice it a hell of a lot more because were out in it a lot more compared to our urban counterparts. We can see whats happening outside abd make up our mind whereas they are not as immersed it as us and they cannot decide for themselves and will believe whatever shite the legacy media throw out to them.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And there is very little media coverage of the increased number of flights.

If we had any proper leadership the increase in flights would be the first issue to be addressed. We could then increase food production here to feed the masses as we have a temperate climate . As the difference between ourselves and Southern Europe over the past month has shown .

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It wasn’t just stories. Saw what you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

If Ireland did do that and cull all cattle and rewild the whole place, its 100% certain it would be worse for the planet and climate change. Beef/dairy would get a nice bump and Brazil/New Zealand would fill the void in their usual unscrupulous fashion.

The EU don't give a fu%k about climate change and neither does the rest of the world, its just seen by the powerful as a way to seize more power. Look at the EU-Mercosur deal almost sure to be passed this year, basically beemers for beef. EU swapping sustainable food for unsustainable food. Can you blame farmers for being pissed at all the climate nonsense when this sort of sh*t is happening.

If we were intelligent we would be calling their bluff, agreeing wholeheartedly with the science of cattle “producing” gas rather than being in a natural cyclical system. (Leaving aside fossil fuel based inputs it is as simple as that)

Cut production of safe quality food to optimum levels of production with minimal inputs and see who does it hurt and who does it benefit.

My conspiracy theory is that the government (FF FG) whom are well connected with Goodmans Brown’s and Quelly’s are quite happy for the greens to antagonise us to the point of us being Turkeys voting for Christmas.

WHAT DO WE WANT?

keep lots of cattle for Larry and family

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

NOW😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Farmers aren't immune from consumerism though.

From a carbon output perspective what Western Europe and North America do is immaterial, levels are already falling quickly and as a % of total it is about 25%.

China alone this century will out produce all Carbon by the Western world since the start of the industrial Revolution in 1750. Nevermind India and the rest of Asia.

The scale is off the chart.

Certainly everyone must do their part but if Europeans want to stop climate change it is going to be technology that does it because outside of middle class White people, the world is not that interested, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

The income from farming is a very helpful restriction on consumption.

To quote myself.

"I am content with a humble lifestyle and beef farming lets me afford it".

Advertisement