Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can anyone give me a current time scale from ordering to delivery?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother ordered the kit and ethernet adapter just recently, on a Sunday, kit delivered on Friday. Ethernet adapter sometime the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I ordered last Tuesday (11th) . I got DHL tracking (both for the kit and ethernet and pole adapters) on 12th where it said it was processed in export centre in Germany. Radio silence since then. Will report back when it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Yea forgot to say. . I have no incoming call charges

It all arrived this morning - so 4 working days really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Almost definitely going down this route - just getting my ducks in a row. We're currently on mobile broadband with the following setup:

• External antenna pointing to mast.
    • 4G Router in attic with powerline passthrough device to office.
    • TP-Link Wireless Access Point for rest of house.

I get between 25 and 40mb down and about 30mb up to my office currently.

If we switch to Starlink, I can use the current extender pole mounted to the chimney for the external antenna so no problem there. I'm assuming then that I'd need to replace our current router - is that right?

If you mean your 4G router - then yes, it will be replaced with the Starlink router. How are the TP Access points connected to router currently, cable ?

The starlink router does not come with ethernet ports, you will need to buy the ethernet adapter.

But are you sure you want to go down this route ? I don't think you will get 30 upload with starlink. If I had consistent 25/40 down and 30 up, not sure I would have ordered starlink.

Thanks!

Router: that answers that question - just making sure we wouldn't need to buy another.

Access Points: correct - wired.

We haven't actually gone with it yet - is there a reason you'd suggest it wouldn't be worthwhile? By the sounds of it, we'd be getting significantly higher download speeds, which makes up the majority of our use. Uploading is minimal (video calls etc which aren't super heavy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You'll have a much more consistent experience with Starlink than you would have with the 4G and yes, the download is excellent, nearly always over 200Mbps and my uploads are consistently 15-20Mbps.

When I had 4G I used to get 30Mbps upload typically ... until after 3pm on a school day when it would end up being slower than dial-up. I wasn't using external antenna, so maybe you have a more positive experience of 4G.

If it is mostly download you are after, then absolutely, go for it ... I have not installed yet thanks to the weather, but I am looking forward to great download speeds and hopefully consistency of speeds..

• Advertisement

Thanks folks - I'm waiting to see if work will cover the cost of the hardware, but have made the decision to go for it regardless. Will likely be back here with questions in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

The €65 per month price definitely makes Starlink now a very viable option and one where I could get over the €300 upfront cost especially with NBI probably 2+ years out for me.

The challenge for me is I'm currently renting and moving into new build in about a year. Installing starlink in new build will be fine, but for rental it could be a pain.

Anyone have any tips in install idea's where I can easily remove it in a years time? I'm out in the country, so should have good line of sight to the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

no prob moving it, and if and around near whee you are now ( in same cell footprint ) it will work. just make sure to set to stow mode in the app before you move it.

if the move is out of the current cell, further away, then open a support ticket with SL and give them the new map reference, and move date. they will transfer the info needed to the dish so when you setup at new location and remove from stow mode, the dish will track to the new beams. also , once at the new location , SL will take up to 24 hours to optimize to the new satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone else seeing an update downloading?

Nothing showing on mine right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Hi all,

I've just ordered starlink. I've only now seen that the standard plan is capped 25-100m download or 5-10m upload. Has anyone who has ordered recently (mid 2023) seen greater than 100m on the standard plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother installed just recently, speed tests seen up to 290 Mbps down and in excess of 10 Mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Where did you see that? This would be new. Perhaps it doesn't apply to Ireland? Maybe it just applies in the US where it is over subscribed

Yeah I'm only moving a few KM's, so I'm sure it will be no issue on the Starlink side. My concerns is the installation. I'd prefer not to have to pay for professional installation twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

got me wondering now if this could be a viable project to share broadband and costs with neighbours either side of me...in an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Not sure about the term and conditions of Starlink.

Certainly can be done, I have done to Airbnb apartments. Mesh boxs at facing windows will work, use guest mode for neighbour so you are on seperate networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

apart form making sure SL is facing a south with unobstructed views above ( SL app will show how suitable the new location is ) then all you need to do is secure the dish and run the cable indoors and plug it in. there is no need for a " pro " !

these units are designed for self install.

Ain't no capping going on here:

It seems unusual to give such a broad cap ... there's a big difference between 25 and 100.

Can you link to where you saw that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

mmm....i was thinking...maybe.....ethernet adapter on starlink.....into a router in my house.....then an ethernet cable to other two houses, one each side....into their router...with their own i.p. range (192.168.2.1 vs 3.1 vs 4.1)....only thing is i'd end up needing a router with more than 4 ports out as i have a habit of hardwiring things like the nvidia shield, tv itself, and into a powerline i have here too....maybe add a switch....and hopefully all that routing not ruin ping times.

just thinking aloud really.

Search on here is 504-ing on me, but I would swear there is something electrical that you need to be careful about when running wired network connections into other comms gear that is connected to a separate electric circuit ... something to do with the Earth maybe?

Any wiring gurus reading this?

Any clamp solution where I could clamp it onto the existing satellite dish clamp and use a long ish pole to get SL above the roof level?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Sky dish bracketry isn't very strong and wouldn't be suitable. You're better getting a stand-alone bracket and mast for the Starlink dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

H bracket and pole from FreeTv

Just made a contraption to test the spot before I start drilling holes ..In 6 hours I will know if it is the sweet spot or if there is some obstruction

It's working at least: 250 down 20 up and pings mostly under 50..

This is my bracket, albeit with a slightly larger overhang to clear the gutter

• Advertisement

Right, think I will order as the discounted HW price of €300 appears to run out EOD tomorrow.

Anyone having trouble getting their shipping address validated? No matter what I enter its not valid. The main problem is the "City" field. The town on my postal address is Bandon, so when I enter that into the city field, it then seems to select from a drop down list of about 8-9 versions of Bandon and each one with a different eircode attached, none of which are mine. If I pick one of these versions of Bandon it selects one of those eircodes and says the address is valid, but obviously that aint my eircode, so I can't use that. There is no where in the shipping address to search by eircode.

I did enter eircode when searching for the service address and this worked fine and picked up my address correctly.

Just to test, I also tried my old address in Cork City and again I have no way to get that eircode into the address and get the shipping address validated.

Advertisement