Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Interesting day today. As a Pogacar fan it's what I feared might happen.

I am interested in seeing a w/kg comparison between today and other epic displays.

Regarding Vingegaard and his apparent descending skills - that ties into one of my main gripes with today, which no one else has mentioned. So maybe it's just me. I thought the difference in the camera work from the bike behind the main two was stark. It was beautiful work from the guy behind Vingegaard, but for ages when they cut back to Pogacar it was a helicopter shot. Sometimes it went to the guy on the bike, but the angles and focus from him were a lot worse than the other one. My point being that you couldn't really tell how Pogacar was descending. The clock obviously showed that he was going slower, but was it because of the cornering or the pedalling? I couldn't tell. It really annoyed me today.

To continue with the theme of the visuals from today, Vingegaard just looked like a different beast on the bike. The way his shoulders fold in and his spine comes up. His body shape was amazing. I presume that it is an aero shape, given the time and performance. Pogacar just looked the same as any other day.

Regarding the time differences between the top 2 and the rest - this Tour will probably be remembered as a great Tour, as it's been very close at the top from day 1. However, I think that it's been a very disappointing Tour from the rest. If one of the top 2 had gone down in the first week, what would this Tour be remembered for? Who are the other heroes? How many in the peleton have performed better than last year? Lots of them are worse. Maybe the overall level of the peleton is up, so it's harder for individuals to show up again and again. My point being, that, outside the top 2, based on everyone's performance so far, I don't think the level is very high. Therefore you are going to get huge gaps.

Today was a shock for many, but I think it will be a bigger shock if Pogacar can pull the gap back this week. He will need the ambush of ambushes. I'm personally praying for a stormy, freezing day tomorrow. Afraid to look at the forecast though.

Post edited by Raoul Duke on

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Raymzor

Fri Sat Sun Pog tried to regain time but he left it late each time to make his move-indicates he knew Ving had his number. Ving didn’t waste energy trying to break Pog as he kept his matches for today. Pog did not look comfortable on the bike today. Pog races every day to win. Ving has focused his entire season on the tour and perhaps on todays TT knowing it was his opportunity to take advantage of one of Pogs weaknesses. Despite all this, I was surprised how much time Ving gained today. He might be empty for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Take JV's performance away and Pogacar's performance looks outstanding, it's only in comparison to JV's time that it doesn't look great. Pogacar may have looked uncomfortable at times, but, he still put in one hell of a time. JV's performance was just astronomical, I don't think anyone even JV himself expected that performance and time gap. Even though it took an extraordinary effort, I don't really think it'll affect him as the stage was quite short, so will have plenty of time to recover.

What was an extremely intriguing race is now virtually over, which is a pity. At best Pogacar might get a few seconds back, but, it's probably more likely JV will extend his lead or he might just mark Pogacar all the way to Paris like he had done over the last few stages.

Would be great if we could erase the TT stage and carry on from Sunday's stage-still think JV would win, but, it would be much more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 17

So lets set the stage. A big breakaway goes on the first cat 1. Ciccone will be in it, there's a big battle for top ten in the GC going on so I'd expect to see Gall, Martin, Gaudu and Simon Yates there too. You just know Pinot will be there as it's the Queen stage and likely Landa and Pidcock, Bilbao will like it too with all the tricky and fast decents. If the break stays away I like Gall and Pinot to fight it out. But it's the Queen stage and that rarely happens.

I expect UAE to hit the front before the second cat 1. Jumbo will just sit behind them and wait for the attempted move by Pog and cover it. It's going to be a crazy stage I think and Pog could go at any time but Vingegaard has shown he's able to match him.

The end is insane, a very tough climb followed by a fast downhill and then a short but brutal climb to the finish.

Still I think Pog gets something out of this stage, not much, and I'll predict he wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched the TT. JV looked like the only rider possessed.. his appearance on the bike looked like a man cycling for his life..pure heart and desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Todays forecast for the start, though it looks like the rain is moving in a different direction to the race so by the time they get to the Cormet de Roselend, it should have dried up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm in awe and shock at the time difference , didn't think vingegaard was that good a TT. My only gripe is they've pretty much done a sky on it where they just dominated the TT which I hated when sky did it. I just like tt's to be closer and leave some hope for the rest and be like the giro tt's near or at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

UAE to ping Soler or Grossschartner up the road for a possible ambush, but it ultimately to prove futile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: No more warnings, next post even subtly hinting at doping gets a ban for the rest of the tour. Plenty of other sites to discuss such things but as most of us are aware, those discussions just end up like after hours with people bickering over rubbish rather than having a discussion. Going forward I will delete posts and ban the user.

Any questions can be brought to me via PM, in thread will also lead to a ban.

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interesting latest episode of the Radiocycling podcast, where Jeremy Whittle interviews a few DS's on the changes to the sport since Festina, in terms of budget (and therefore rider support like chefs), nutrition, etc.

They've also been covering a fair bit on QS the last couple of episodes - both the future of the team and the future of Remco.

• Advertisement

Checking out a few of the online climbing power calculators this morning, based on the times on the climb yesterday and published body weights of the riders, it looks like Vingo was outputting somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8 W/kg more than Pog on the T2-T3 section yesterday (2.8 km @ ~ 8.9%). If that sort of difference was present throughout the Tour so far a) there was (and will be) no way Pog drops Vingo and b) Vingo may have been sandbagging for the past fortnight. With that form, he could have put the GC to bed a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Who do we think is going to end up 3rd?

Yates will have to give it his all now for Pog, Rodriguez is 5 seconds behind and then there’s another monstrous gap of 2”17 back to Hindley.

In theory should be Rodriguez, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone in the break sneaks up like Yates or Bilbao, I dunno if INEOS will have the men to chase it down

I can't see Pog getting this back, not without some catastrophe on Vingo's part or perhaps stealing all the Jumbo Visma bikes. Pog could go into super-domestique mode for the next few days to keep Yates on the podium

At least it doesn't look too hot, which on top of his curtailed preparation, has been Pogacar's weakness this Tour. There must have been 10 times or more water thrown over Pogacar this Tour than Vingegaard.

Maybe it was because he dropped the visor yesterday (why did he do this by the way?) but he looked like he was suffering a bit with the heat again yesterday. I've half joked that the UAE domestiques main job should be to keep pouring water for as long as possible over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

When you break down the splits between Pog and Jonas over the 4 time checks yesterday JV put 16 seconds on T1, another 15 on T2. He then puts 34 on T2 to T3 but Pog changed bike so that kind of makes sense. and Another 43 on T3 to finish when the climb flattens off and TT bike would definitely have been faster than a climbing bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Actually, cooling (and importance of) was one of the advances that I left off that was mentioned on that podcast earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't think JV will be too worried. Coming from Denmark it's not as if he is a fair weather cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Those numbers are scary good. I doubt very much he was sandbagging though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Obviously it will nearly impossible for Pogacar to claw back a large chunk of time. If it will happen though it will be today. Vingegaard was at his weakest this Tour the day after his previous biggest performance. Granted he put in a big effort that 2nd day up the Tourmalet, that added to his fatigue, but he definitely didn't recover fully from the effort from that 1st day for a few days. Pogacar's level when fresh is currently below Vingegaard, but I think that he recovers better.

I hope that they called on Contador last night to trash out some tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

“Sandbagging” is probably the wrong word. He was being conservative and riding within himself. I very much get the feeling if he wanted he could have blitzed the race by now. Which is why I dislike his style so much. It’s akin to Lemond or Indurain.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You would think so but a fair few Irish riders struggled in the bad weather by their own accounts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I expect Pog to attack today but I fear, like last year, he might end up losing more time as a result. If I was UAE I would send Adam Yates in the break to throw some cats and pigeons together.

But then you have Ineos fighting to get 3rd and Jumbo sitting back and enjoying the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wouldn't that trigger Ineos and Bora to chase down the break to try to keep a podium in range for Rodriguez and Hindley though?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would at least naybe make for some good tv

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ha yeah just a silly thought. Mind you they could chat to Ineos and Bora and have all 3 of their guys go in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm not sold on that myself. There's been one or two occasions where he could have gone but it's hard to judge. Jumbo have been quite aggressive over the past couple of years and if they thought Ving had the legs on Pog they would have told him to go.

To me, it's looked like he was on the limit for most of it and was just power metering his way up the climbs. Pog is the more natural racer and sometimes does things that other riders wouldn't dream of, like pushing in to the red to launch an attack. Ving seems to race by the numbers and relies a lot more on his power readings, team mates, and radio.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I put my theoretical money on JV at the start of the tour, but I do hope Pog can pull something off today to keep us interested. As first 2 weeks have been cracking.

Advertisement