Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On the range earlier he said he just had a few glasses of wine. Nothing major. Hasn't played Hoylake since 2014 and tees off at 3pm this evening with Padraig.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

just seen rory and Padraig on the range there. Sky obviously couldn't leave rory alone and went over an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I know its only down the road IE the probably flew by helicopter or the likes but you would think they'd take a day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

They generally only get 9 holes in for practice each day and its quite slow, so I'd imagine they'd really want to max out their practice there, especially with the changes to the course since they've last been there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thank you. I will pay no attention to the listed practice round tee times on the official site, it's obviously not reflecting reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

That kind of win is exactly what he needed in terms of confidence. Started the day as leader, stumbled a bit in the conditions like most people did tbf. Eventually closing it out in pretty dramatic circumstances.

McIntyre and Hatton in particular flew out the gate and started burning it up - albeit with nothing to lose. Early on any of a handful of golfers could have won such was the dynamic of the weather and congested leaderboard

A play-off seemed most likely to be Rory's best shout. But he drained a big one on 14, not to mention what transpired 17 and 18. That 2i was unreal, I didn't think that we'd see something to match the shot that McIntyre had.

This will come across as taking away from his win but that's not the intention. On two or three occasions you'll have seen Rory chuckle at putts dropping that he thought were missed. Be it wind assist or whatever but those putts didn't drop for him at US Open or the Open last year. Slim margins but he really dug deep and pulled out the big shots when needed.

Fingers crossed he can continue with this form for another week or at least tag Lowry/Power with a sprinkle of that magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Teeing off late (2:59 p.m.) on Thursday with Rahm and Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He'll have confidence for sure.

Only thing is that history is against him winning the week before a major. It's very rare that someone who wins the week before wins that major.

Of course the best can beat those things and hopefully he does. I just don't like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

If there's 150 fellas playing in a major, there's 149 of them that didn't win the previous week. I'd say if the stats say anything it's that winning the previous week helps your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

McIlroy has won 25% of his majors having won the week before!

Edit: Or stated another way, McIlroy has won a major every time he's won the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wonder what the stats are for winning two weeks in a row?

So he did it once?

It's pretty rare. As I said I hope he does it and I think the win in Scotland gives him a lot of confidence.

I just don't like the win the week before having watched golf for over 40 years and seen some of the best not do it.

It's been done 11 times and three times this century. Tiger did it once, Mickelson once and Rory once.

24 golfers have won three consecutive tournaments on the PGA tour nevermind two.

They are a lot higher than winning a regular tournament and then a major in consecutive weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

No chance Rory wins this week, he only wins when under the radar. With Rory it's all mind games, and the Scottish win has only served to raise public expectations and scrutiny---the very factors that always scupper his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Well, its a matter of degree, and he certainly wasnt the centre of attention like he is now. Scottish open is hardly very significant tournament in any case, being merely a prep for the Open. Also, he only produced stellar golf on Sunday when MacIntyre became the center of attention. Bottom line is Rory is a disaster when i) it's a significant tournament and ii) all eyes are on him, and I feel sorry for the unwitting mugs backing him this week.

I don't think you 'feel' for anybody.

Rory is a four time major champion. He won Sunday by birdieing 17 and 18.

He's obviously the favourite for Sunday. Why you ask?

He was incredible last Sunday. He has won four majors and he's been top 10 in six of the last seven majors including being runner-up in the last one where he did nothing wrong and the guy playing behind him birdied the fifteenth to give himself a two shot lead and hang on to win by one.

As I've pointed out it's very rare for a player to win the week before a major and go on to win the major the next week but he's done it already.So crawl back under that rock you came from like a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst I did feel at the time and stats above are clear ..Rory winning was a bit of bad timing...

But I was encouraged by his reaction..he was laughing, was calm enough after..could see ultimately he knew it was The Scottish Open.

Wins are not life changing as they once were..not as big a deal.

Would obviously disrupti his preparation on Monday ..but it literally is down the road .

He has form ..he is hitting a major in form.

You can't really jump to conclusions after this week either ..because The Open is a freak event too , with , draw , weather , course , bad bounce , lost ball , bad bunker lie ...

Rory is an emotionally driven player ..there are lots of factors on plus side this week..won before here ..Good memories with family here ...LIV thing gone .

Not happy with him playing with Rahm ..rather two nobodies. But you'll have to play with an monster at some point ..just fear they will man mark each other ..or be distracted.

But overall looks good....the issue we all should remember is ..majors are so hard to win and all the other players try peak for this week with their full team and preparation in full swing .

Range session on Monday on Sky was incredible....

For all the bullshit in pro golf..it was lovely to see ..they really, really are up for this .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesus in a game where wins arent that often you can't not attempt to win one when it comes along. Also if he didn't win it'd be all bottle this, choke that. The guy has like 20% more than average tour closeout for 3rd round leads to win (I'm just trusting a tweet o saw on this). I'd hazard a guess he'll be up near the top again this week, but if he doesn't get the win it'll have little to do with winning the week before, its more that it's a bloody tough game to be exact in

• Advertisement

The Scottish open was a Rolex event it wasn't a nothing Tournament ffs 🙄 For Mcilroy and the likes its all about the majors as he said himself he had 2 glasses of wine.. Thats it.. If Macintyre had of won he probably be still drunk now 😂 and fair play to him so would I.. But theres different levels to this game and I think hes firm favourite has been unlucky the last 2 years in Majors keeps hitting the bar but least hes given himself chances be worse if he wasn't! been on the range the very next day shows that! A confident Rory Mcilroy is a very dangerous opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Rory is on a hiding to nothing. No matter what the guy does he won't get credit..... Sure Brooks has more and Tiger, Jack etc was better.... Sure the Olympics.... Sure bottled xyz.... Sure the ex he broke up with... Leads 54 holes and converted with an unbelievably clutch birdie-birdie finish in absolutely awful conditions - it's a micky mouse tourney and he was hardly stellar on Sunday. Sure he's a mouthpiece, if he focused on golf.... The list of excuses detractors have is endless, it's like an obsession to hate the guy. Little to no credit for his Fedex win and being OWGR #1 last year.

He's come into the open as the form golfer in the world. What an awful position to be in for him right? Surely it'd be much better if he had a missed cut at the weekend?

Give me a break.

I hope the real Rory turns up and demolishes the field.

Well Said 👏 and I dont even like him 😂 but love watching him as hes the nearest thing to Tiger of this Generation. A lot more talent nowadays though and golf is alot more popular..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Without doubt the most picked apart golfer in the world. Beat Scheffler in the Fedex...it's not a major...beats a stellar field in Scotland last week, having to birdie the last 2 holes in the process...that's a mickey mouse field...the list is endless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Is history really against him for winning the week before a major though?! Are his chances of winning that major now less?? I sincerely doubt it tbh.

Like what are the actual odds of a major winner not winning the week before versus winning say??

I doubt whether this well pedalled belief (myth) really stands up to any statistical scrutiny. ...

E.g. Phil Mickelson is one golfer since 2013 who won both the Scottish Open and Open Championship in the same season.

So that's not bad odds really! 150 to 1 , to 10 to 1 say. I realise it's not that simple of course, and you'd need to add controls for world rankings say & general likelihood of a player winning a particular major. Nonetheless my premise is: I really doubt that winning the week before a major reduces a players chances of winning the major. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

More on this here:

https://www.golfshake.com/news/view/16506/How_Scottish_Open_Champions_Performed_at_The_Open.html

Post edited by daithi7 on

Predictably cranky from those who feel he should not be commented on in a negative way. The FedEx isn’t a major, never has been, never will be, it is a gloried wheel barrow of cash event. And whether you admit it or not, the Scottish open is likely a couple of links practice rounds for the players.

Mcilroy divides opinion, God knows he has provided enough displays and missed opportunities to warrant criticism as well as great displays to warrant praise. So @coillcam maybe reel in your neck a bit and let his golf do the talking this week. If he performs well, he’ll get the praise he deserves, if he doesn’t, or blows up again, then he will get the criticism he deserves. Such is the life of professional sports people.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

why does he deserve criticism, its only sport? only one of 156 will win, do 155 of them deserve criticism, are they chokers?

the real cranks are the one trying to take people they dont know down a peg.

I doubt he divides opinion really, most recognize him for the great golfer he is

now on the scottish open, would you turn your nose up at 1.5m? Theres not a person in the field who would agree with what you said, especially the person in second place

Predictable.

Lets focus on his golf, not his personality or personal animus. I doubt many care what peg, whatever that is, he occupies.

The professional golfer he is, is the very reason he gets both praise and criticism, depending on performance, just like many other sports people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the only predictable thing is your response

dismissing his wins says everything that needs to be said, a practice round

its irish begrudgery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

"If he performs well, he’ll get the praise he deserves"

No, he won't - A top 10 finish in a major is performing well. Unless he wins it, he will not get the praise that he deserves - he will be seen as having bottled another major

Advertisement