Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i think what slave1 said is the right approach. give it a year and then make a judgement whether its worth it or not.

with an 8kW array i would at the moment be sending every bit of excess to the grid after the car, battery and house are sorted in order to make the most of FIT.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭portach king

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Plus1 to what Slave says. It's a 25 year game. Took me a few months to chill. I wanted to buy a battery ASAP but then waited to see how we used power over the seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

You’re in the same situation as me in this regard. I already have 10kWh of battery; which I charge every night between 2-4 am on the EI night boost. This is working well in summer when the battery only drops to about 60-70 % by 2am due to the longer days.

but in winter; I’ll be hitting 0% before 2am And My battery can only charge at 3KW from the grid; so to get it from 0-100% would take between 3-4 hours. Which would mean that I would not be charging it exclusively from the boost rate.

So what I’m going to do is charge the battery between 2am - 8am majority of the power will come between 2-4 am and then some on the off peak between 4-8 am. But importantly I won’t start discharging the battery until 8am as it will be set to charge during this time.

The main thing for me is to avoid any grid usage between 8am - 11pm when it’s the highest price. I believe I should be able to make the 8am - 11pm (15 hours) on 10kWh battery plus whatever bonus kwhs the panels generate. Some days it might be feck all; other days might be 6-10kWh.

this is also shifting behaviours like washing machine during the day in summer to scheduling it to come on between 2-4 am in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Sorry just to clarify. I’d personally add more battery if I could charge them faster to allow me to totally fill them to 100% between 2-4 am. Or alternatively if there was a longer “boost” period like 2-6am.

im thinking I should also wait till I’ve lived through winter with what I have before making any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With a bigger battery and more powerful inverter, you could actively trade electricity. Buy in your supercheap slot between 2-4AM and then sell back to the grid when you least need it. And of course if / when we get super variable rates, soak up all that electricity from the grid when the price is negative, like in the UK and the Netherlands last week. In a typical Irish house you got a 12kva connection, which means you can draw up to about 15kW from the grid. At €0.25 / kWh negative, this makes you nearly €4 per hour, fully automated. Well that's the plan 😁

But seriously, this is more important in the move to renewable energy than renewable energy generation itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Is there any indication of when people may be forced onto smart meters? I’m on a D/N meter so I get a deemed output of 3.26kw per day from Bord Gais regardless of how much or little I export. If I could get a few years out of that I could invest in an extra battery in the meantime (currently have a 3.6kw pylontech in a cabinet), essentially getting the benefit twice.

this is a really good strategy. the new flogas community tariff is hopefully indicative the way the market is heading (especially for those relying on night rates to charge their battery ahead of the day rate period).

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭con747

The roll out of day/night capable smart meters starts this Autumn so it really depends where you are and if you can get the contractor if ESBN are using one to put you at the back of the list. I got them to do that for me without refusing a new meter which stops you getting FIT with some if not all suppliers.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Any recommendations for the “fastest battery charge” for an inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

@graememk - "8.8kw sunsynk!"

FYP 😁

190A charge / discharge. About 3 times what a Solis 6kW hybrid can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yup this bad boy is a beast and can't be beaten in price either for the features you get.

Could easily pump almost 20kwh into the batteries during those scabby-a$$ 2 hour windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Where’s the best place to pick these up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I purchased a 5.5kW version directly from China. Took a very long time but I think at that time they were quoting 1.7k for the 8.8kW version DDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you buy from China directly does it have the option of selecting the Irish specific regulatory settings for EN50438 from the menu, and how much and how much difficulty was the completion of the NC8, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I'm on a NC6 from the original solar install so didn't apply for this unit. The Deye/Sunsynk is for replacing a Sofar ME3000SP in my case.

The setting wouldn't be an issue for our grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ok, 5.5kW, I see now. I had in my mind that it was the 8kW. 😀

ITS wouldn't ship to the north when I enquired last year. They said their couriers had been refusing requests to ship stuff across the sea.

Perhaps things have changed since, you'd have to enquire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks for the link. I bought 8 of these as they were cheaper than the CALB and NKON cells I was looking at for similar capacity and they have the added capacity of not having to explain my wiring attempts putting the BMS on to the mrs. She's not a fan of my "projects" already installed but she was really not a fan of the battery setup I was explaining. Managed to get them for 1350 each, find me 15 100AH (these are 15S) cells for that, and add on the BMS cost too. I'm not a fan of pylontech but they are better than the dyness units I have now.

Since both are 15S I'm researching if I can paralel them and turn off comms on the dyness (giving me 1200AH of storage at 48V) or sell the dyness to recoup some costs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you had a 5.5 or 6kw inverter you were exceeding the NC6 in any case as the Sofar provides an additional ~3kWh inverter power which pushes you over 6kW limit

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

😀 You are the new MAD_LAD 😁

You bought 8 * Pylontech 4.8kWh for €1350 each? That's €281 per kWh, not sure how you can claim that's cheaper than EVE or CALB cells, your Pylontechs are 100% more expensive per kWh (just checked on NKON). And they'd only need 1 BMS (under €200) no matter how many cells you use in parallel.

You can't combine them with your 16S Dyness. Well technically you could, but you'd lose a large chunk of capacity of both. And only one of the two sets could control your inverter.

There's something to be said for plug and play especially for those of us who wouldn't have a notion when it comes to setting up a CALB battery.

Dyness are also 15S. A48100 are 15S and the BX5100 are 15S. I have 4* A48100 currently. Combining two differently branded 15S battery brands with the pylontech handling the comms with the solis is absolutely possible, giving 1200Ah at 48v of storage or approx 45kWh usable.

Nah, look, like I said to you , theres a hidden cost here of herself not complaining at me. I'd been broaching the subject a few times with photos of good DIY setups etc but it was a flat no. I think the pylontechs at that price have some good resellability so once I get a smaller off grid setup done with some calb cells (like I have for my office UPS on some truck 12v batteries I got for free) perhaps that couuld serve as proof of concept.

Fair enough, forgot that the Dyness were 15S too. You're still a maniac 😂

I wouldn't use lead acids in a room you spend a lot of time in like an office, unless it is very well ventilated. Like a barn or an uninsulated shed would be more appropriate.

Yes it's been on my list to move the 12v to the "control room"/ office kitchen for some time actually, must actually get the finger out

Still not sure why you didn't just buy a few more Dyness? Pylontech tiny pouch cells are seriously poor. I've opened several of them (2.4kWh), and there was plenty of bloating. And I had an interesting experiment hard discharging a bloating pack - no fire but let's just say we got a massive vent and the stink of electrolyte took ages to disappear from my shed 😁

I sure hope the 4.8kWh do not use same tiny 25Ah pouch cells. That said I don't really know what's in the Dyness either. If it were up to me and I was forced to buy ready made batteries (and pay for 8 * expensive BMS while you'd only need 1 😀), I think I'd go for generic no name packs from AliExpress with decent EVE cells. Was doing Seplos / Mason DIY kits not an option?

If you don't change your mind and the packs come, try and not connect them as Pylontech says you should, as that is wrong. They need to be paralleled via shared central busbars, not via those connecting cables they supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

I assume these are the same as the Sunsynk stock in Germany but only 5.5kw version

https://www.europe.opsolarbattery.com/product-page/Hybrid-Inverter-SUN-5K

• Advertisement

Any links to these busbars you suggested? Sounds like a good idea for balancing.

With 8 packs and 4 dyness packs I think nothing will be hard discharged as even putting in or out 100A (the solis limit - notionally anyway) is not even 0.1C of my 1200AH pack combined.

Advertisement