Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Should Duffy stay on €351,000 a year so? I don’t think so. I don’t listen to him because he’s so good - I listen to him because he’s so BAD!! He can be condescending, shout people down if they don’t agree with him, ( then cut them off) , laud certain of his “cronies” and give them airtime, , promote his books for free, put on a camp voice at most inappropriate occasions, defendRTE to the hilt (but not so much recently I note), discuss death at every available opportunity, look, I could go on, but you get my drift. He’s only there because Gay Byrne took a shine to him years ago.

”Talent” he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Maybe there is an ‘RTE Investigates’ going on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• "every opportunity he gets to bring in some gay angle he uses it"

Down with that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I seldom watch RTE nor listen to its radio content.

It's fairly clear it's been poorly run for a long time, and has wasted a lot of public funds.

Major change is needed I think. Services should be trimmed significantly, and costs slashed.

The license fee should be scrapped. Get the money through advertising just the same as ITV and many others do.

Forget about the idea of public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Antenne Deutschland launches Germany’s first AI radio station (broadbandtvnews.com)

Very listenable AI hit music station from this German media group is up and running. That's 2FM as we know it done for (should be, anyway). That'll be a start.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

But...But...who will prevent all dah DIS-infohmation from dah gubberment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Joe Brolly Pod cast ,"The Musical" well worth a listen.Joe not one to mince his words is scathing about where RTE finds itself and suggests all the Barter shenigans border on criminality.He does lose the plot slightly when he wanders into critiquing the current content but well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I agree the license fee should be scrapped. The advertising market in Ireland is saturated at the moment and will bring in a certain amount of money to RTE. You have the likes of Sky and Channel 4 sucking the life out of the advertising industry here. Then you also have Virgin Media who are looking for their slice of the advertising pie.

As we know RTE are state owned organisation and don't have the big bucks like Sky and the above mentioned. So for RTE to succeed in it's public broadcasting remit after this scandal is over the government will have to allocate enough of the tax payers money to fund what ever is necessary. I think big sacrifices will have to be made by the new DG whether it's down sizing RTE which would more than likely mean capping the so called top ten salaries or possible job cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm open to correction here but RTE cancelled Scrap Saturday which was produced by a production company which Morgan owned and which infuriated Morgan.

Morgan then starred in Father Ted which Channel 4 ran with.

I don't remember RTE ever coming out and saying publicly that Dermot Morgan won't be working with us again.

I presume thats what a lot of people are hoping KB will be saying about RT...all im saying is I don't expext an announcement like that.

Post edited by gifted on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

don't think Dermot Morgan was a producer of Father Ted. He was a hired actor for the series. It was produced by UK based Hat Trick Productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You are expecting a bit much for me to summarise a thread with almost 17k posts on the matter in one post.

But for the record, I didn't miss several points that you accuse me of. I did mention the Renault/RTE deal. I did mention Tubs being paid out of the Barter account. I did mention the invoices. I did mention that things said by RT at the PAC didn't appear to be the truth. And I did mention that Tubs let RTE report his salary incorrectly without correcting them.

The only thing I didn't mention that you accuse me of is the fake Renault gigs. What fake Renault gigs are you talking about?

If there were extra payments 'off the books', then they were off the RTE books. Therefore that's an RTE issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah Scrap Saturday and The Savage Eye have one thing in common in that they hit too close to home. Scrap Saturday got on the wrong side of tge political classes for not testing them with the required reverence and Savage Eye did likewise for RTE ‘talent’. Both were cancelled never to be repeated. I think it just shows what a small little place we are. Channel 4 had Bremner Bird & Fortune getting tge boot really in in some cases and there was all manner of shows making fun of BBC, ITV & C4 ‘talent’ but there the backlash against being seen to scuttle a show that didn’t suit your narrative would have been great. I was delighted at the time that Dermot Morgan was finally getting a wider vehicle for his talent. RTE didn’t appreciate what they had and I suspect his career would have dried up if he’d relied on them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The license fee should be scrapped. Get the money through advertising just the same as ITV and many others do.

Forget about the idea of public service broadcasting.

Never going to happen. We don't have the kind of political parties that would contemplate such an outcome...

Same cannot be said about theRay Darcy show . Ray even pushes his own buttons- at least tries to any- and so saves on cost by not employing a professional button pusher !!!!

i ABSOLUTLY agree with all ur points. But it is the absurdity of the show that I enjoy and especially the PURE GOLD episodes that break out of nowhere - especially when Joe is put in his place. Eg the Irish American who eventually rang in about the memorials he was betting local craftsmen to make and erect them to commorate the famine and implicating the UK for ignoring it . Joe was not expecting him to ring in . Also the day Michael o Leary called in to defend Ryanair charging for seat booking if you book late. I could go no and on.

As a matter of fact most of the comments on the LAVH Lahn thread is what brings the show really alive. So please, please, please do’nt rubbish it , for my sake at least, in case RTE takes it off the air

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Duffy at one stage had 7 researchers and 3 rotating producers. Why on earth that show in particular needed 7 researchers is one of the great mysteries of our times.

You must be listening to a different Oliver Callan then because the only time I've heard him discuss "the gay angle" as you put it is when something has happened from a national news perspective to cause him to - like when a man was attacked for going to the George a few years ago for example. And even then he only discussed it briefly. I don't recall him sensationalizing it or being OTT about it, just discussed it as it was topical and in the news.....on the paper review section.

He certainly doesn't bring it into Callan's Kicks.

A bit of a strange post that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

We need a national broadcaster. What we currently have is a badly run broadcaster. This is because they have an attitude to just blow all the money they get and not worry about it because the government will top them up. THis has to stop.

If they want to pay stupid money to presenters and have loads of researchers etc, great, run the company at a profit and you can hire all you want and pay all you want. Till then you need to cut the fat.

Like GAA Go is a good solution and should be great to promote the game across the World. But more games should be covered and because it is RTE should older people really have to pay? especially if they are paying for the TV license. Options like that need to be looked at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

The problem with Joe is the comedy or the GOLD as it's described on the radio thread) happens when Joe either asks something incredibly stupid (as he does on an almost daily basis), is rude (again, almost daily), or loses the rag completely (a regular) and is liable to say anything.

These are all unintentional and not exactly skills a radio host should have.

I have to run but I'll be back on this topic as I have more of an interest in this one than I do in RT. I know Duffy gets paid less than Tubs, but pound for pound it's an even bigger waste of money....as hard as that may be to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It is in the emails discussing his contract negotiations, NK refers to commercial rights for The Toy Show Live, I presume they thought they could sell out the RDS like Top Gear Live did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Honestly that would crash and burn....I have kids and I wouldn't waste my money at Christmas to go in and let them play in the Toy Show.....better things to spend money on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah don’t see the point. That’s what toyshops are for if the kids want to play with toys. Even adding kids entertainment isn’t exactly a massive draw.

Look, really, Gaybo came up with the Toy Show idea way back. Good idea. Defo a ratings draw. Show hung around long enough to become a national institution. Good stuff there too. That’s all it is though, a Christmas edition of a chat show with toys and happy excited kids and entertainment for kids.

You might wake up one day and be a bit up yourself and think it’s be a great canvas for a live experience. Then what happens though is you float the idea around the place and by lunchtime most people have comfurned it’s a big pile of toss and you climb out if your arse and go do dive real work.

It just shows how much of an echo chamber these people live in that they just like everyone’s creative ideas without any ounce of critical or realistic thinking altogether.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Have you watched ITV lately, game show central!

Brolly is just sour because he was dropped as a pundit from RTÉ. He was dropped as his tedious bargain bin Dunphy act was never much good but became unwatchable near the end. I get the feeling Joe thinks he’s some tremendous wit and beating drum of the rhythm of the Irish People, when all he is is just another middle-aged bore with a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Oh, there was intense political pressure exerted by the Charles Haughey led Fianna Fail administrations. There was a pathological hatred of, not just a bias against RTE exhibited by the likes of Ray Burke when he held the communications portfolio. Those two crooks got their comuppance in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

I was said that RTE got rid of Harbour Hotel as Ray Burke like it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement