Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Training pics;

Search | Ireland Rugby Squad Training - Tuesday | Inpho Photography

Don't see any sign of Conway. No Osborne either so I guess his race is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Nor Rob Herring nor Hugo Keenan. I wouldn't read too much into some training pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The green top on sexton must mean "do not break, made of glass"

Just thought those two were of interest since Conway may or may not be involved in the camp, and Osborne hasn't played in months.

Plenty of guys not pictured but Keenan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The rare but welcome ‘you are correct’ post makes an appearance. I’d like to see each thread carry a minimum of one of these every five pages. If nobody else volunteers the mods should be doing it. Really improves the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's an excellent and very correct suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

others are green with envy - he has August off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I wouldn’t be entirely serious about this - it would be cruel to punish the Mods in this way - but it makes for a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

He is basically saying Ireland wont do well at the world cup because they don't do well at world cups. Not exactly wrong, but its the same stuff you seen from kiwi teenagers in the comment section on youtube. Also means despite all trends and indicators in between WCs are on the rise they are still to be ignored, like they should have been in the past. You'd kind of hope at some point they would become pertinent.

I dont buy the Argies bit, they are way more hot and cold in general than Ireland but we caught them hot at the worst time on 3 occasions. Ireland are not a "going the well" team as much as they used be either, they dont rely on over penting themselves up emotionally like they have in the past, but the achievements have been unprecedented.

SA and France bit ya, if the games trends to proper "cup rugby" style they will be the last two left. They are the most likely to be able to control games but i dont think it will be that simple though. SA are still experimenting with their shape, they will be back to the traditional stuff soon enough.

• Advertisement

I think you're off about Argentina there. It wasn't random that they were 'hot' when they've beaten us at the WC, we were shite (there are always reasons) and they had done their homework and came ready to play. They've come third and fourth which isn't the record of a team who perform poorly at the World Cup and happen to have a hot streak when we come up against them. On neutral grounds they have a better record against us, 4-3. Their inconsistency comes from the period when they had no regular international competitions to participate in and subsequently playing 3 of the best teams in the world every year. Argentina does show that even good teams who come ready for it have a mountain to climb to get through the semis. Wales are another who you could say the same about. I'm confident about Ireland this year, some doubts about a couple of positions nothwistanding, but the biggest challenge is the mental stuff without a doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But in Frawley’s case, you’re saying maybe he needs an injury to another player to get an opportunity.

In Coombes’ you’re saying he’s not good enough. Even tho the players ahead of him have rarely been injured.

He might well be plenty good enough but just need an opportunity, thru injury elsewhere, to get in.

Just like Conan did.

It just seem really harsh to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a rather gigantic difference between being behind Jack Crowley and Ross Byrne and being behind Jack Conan and Caelan Doris.

"Not good enough" is a somewhat loaded phrase. Coombes seems good enough to play international rugby based on what we've seen, but he's not good enough to get past Conan/Doris as things stand.

There is a rather gigantic difference between being behind Jack Crowley and Ross Byrne and being behind Jack Conan and Caelan Doris.

Which is exactly my point.

And iirc, the phrase used was "not good enough to do what Farrell asks of him" which is a different proposition to not being good enough to get past Conan/Doris(/POM).

I still maintain it's very harsh. And I think his performances in Europe should afford him the benefit of the doubt.

He could be plenty good enough, but just not yet getting an opportunity due to the injury profiles (or lack thereof) of the players ahead of him.

Out of interest, I've had a quick look at the stats.

We've had 19 Tests vs Tier 1 nations in the last 2 seasons. Every single one of them has had some combination of POM, VdF, Doris and Conan in the starting 15. (You have to go back 3 seasons to CJ's time for that to change)

The 4 incumbents have taken all 4 back-rows spots (including the bench) in all but 2 Tests. (vs Argentina, when Conan was injured, and vs Japan in the Summer when Conan was with the Lions, where Timoney and Coombes respectively were on the bench).

It amounts to a total of 31 mins to anyone competing for a back-row spot outside of the 4 incumbents.

That seems like the definition of not getting any "luck*" with injuries to get an opportunity. (*For want of a better word).

Is it harsh? You're talking about a guy forcing his way into the first choice 23 for the best team in the world. "Not good enough" is another way of saying "the guys ahead of him are better", maybe that's less evocative?

You could make the same statement about Stuart McCloskey - very good player, shown that he can do a fine job at test level, but not good enough to disrupt the Henshaw-Ringrose-Aki axis. Rob Herring is an excellent player and has produced the goods for Ireland even more than McCloskey - but he won't get ahead of Kelleher and Sheehan. It's not a slight on these guys, it's a reflection of how well stocked Ireland are and nowhere is that more true than in the back row.

Yeah, maybe he just needs a break, an injury to POM or Doris or Conan - but when that happens, he needs to be the first name on Farrell's list to come into the 23, and he hasn't done that yet. Like, Coombes got his caps in summer 2021. Since then, Timoney, Prendergast and Deegan have all picked up senior caps that could have gone to Coombes.

Look, fair enough; I just think saying "he's not good enough" for Coombes, while saying "maybe he needs a break, with injuries elsewhere" for Frawley seems inconsistent.

The way it's worded suggests if Frawley got his chance, he might be able to take it, but no such benefit of the doubt is afforded to Coombes.

When you factor in what we've seen from Coombes in Europe, comparative to Frawley, yes I think it's harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This is all so reductive lol.

Ireland play a specific style and system. Max Deegan is absolutely a better fit than Coombes. He should be way ahead based on that. The only reason its a contest is because coombes is so much better.

Prendergast and Timoney are different types of players.

Coombes role for Munster in the loose isn’t really a backrow role for Ireland. It is an awkward fit if he is supposed to do the same things as conan or doris. Deegan can do a good impression of either.

I think Coombes is good enough to make the 33-man RWC squad. If you can point me to where I've said otherwise, please do.

I think Frawley needs a bit of luck or some really strong performances in training to make the 33-man RWC squad.

How is that inconsistent?

For Frawley to get his break, you've said he may need some luck with injuries (like others before him).

You've afforded Coombes no such benefit of the doubt, despite there being virutally no injuries to his competition in the last 2 seasons.

• Advertisement

I've explained it all in great detail. You pulled some quote I may or may not have made about Coombes months ago, out of all context, and you're now deliberately drawing false equivalences between two completely separate and unrelated questions in order to make it look like I'm only saying things based on provincial bias. I am not. You just keep parroting "yeah but you said..." and making zero effort to actually engage because of your personal issue with me.

I'm done with this. I will not be responding to any more of your posts on any issues.

I can't believe we've had 2 days of this nit picking and tone policing. Roll on the warm ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Enough with Coombes, he'll be put out to pasteur soon enough. Quinn and Gleeson will upend the applecart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Triple f. Prepare for the agony of Gleeson! When he destroys the hopes of all the other pretenders.

I went to the effort of getting the stats showing there have been scant opportunities for back-row players outside the incumbents in the last 2 seasons. That's not zero effort to engage.

I'm simply pointing out that opportunites due to injury is a factor in selection for every player, be it Coombes, Frawley or whomever.

And as there's been scant opportunites in the back-row, I think it's harsh to come to the conclusion that Coombes isn't good enough to do what Farrell asks.

(Fwiw, I have zero issue with you; I have an issue with some of your arguments. They're not the same thing).

I genuinely thought Munster (and Ireland) were going to suffer when CJ left. The best praise I can give Coombes is that we haven't really missed that handsome b*stard.

The back-row stocks coming thru tho, look very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

that was my thinking too. i also had a thought that POM would move to 7 and Beirne would be at 6 more often but in fairness Hodnett and Kendellan have been hard to leave out, JOD has done a job too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

When does Farrell reduce the squad to 33?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

World cup squad won't be announced until end of August

Advertisement