Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy solicitor

Options
  • 18-07-2023 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, I have a problem with our solicitor. So we are sale agreed for some time now, things are moving really slow. Basically since day 1 when we made initial contact with our solicitor, there was slow response to emails, delays in transfering news from vendor's solicitor to us, generally short answers on emails etc. We can clearly see that our solicitor is not really interesting into helping us or represent us. 

In the last two weeks I've sent few emails and got zero response, nothing. In those emails I asked if they can reach vendor solicitor and see for an update.

In the meantime, real estate agent gave me a call yesterday and told me that contracts have arrived to my solicitor's office. He is helping us with everything since day one. He actually acts far more better than our solicitor. 

The problem is, I still did not hear anything from our solicitor. Contracts are there, but she is still silent. I am not sure should I call, send an email again or just leave it like that (but our time and patiente is running low)? How can someone act like that and don't give a **** and we are paying her a lot. I am mad as ****, and worn out mentally.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Call your solicitor and make it very clear to them that you can’t accept any further unexplained delays and that when you send them an email in future you expect a response within a day or so, or within whatever you think is a reasonable timeframe.

I had a relative go through something similar. Their solicitor dragged a fairly straightforward process out for over eighteen months, missing every date / deadline that had been agreed and leaving her chasing them and leaving messages continually. It was crazy. There was substantial money involved and eventually she felt that she had no option but to move the business to a different solicitor who dealt with it promptly and efficiently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The might well be on holidays this time of the year, but that a side, you should never use email if you need to get a response... emails always gets put to the end of people's schedules and get forgotten at the end of the working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Is there a reason why you are unable to make a phone call to them?

Email is simply unreliable. Can end up in spam folders, get lost quickly amongst dozens of other mails or simply forgotten.

A simple phone call is always best.

"Hi Mary, I believe the contracts are in, does tomorrow afternoon at 4 suit you for us to call in to sign them"

• Registered Users Posts: 20 astefulj

Nope, our solicitor already had holidays. Vendor solicitor same. They are working, they are in the office.

Regarding emails...yep, it's not ideal. But Jesus, can you just send a response? This is a bare minimum of proffessionalism.

I actually call her last Thu and her assistant answered. I ask her to ask solicitor if there are any updates. Few minutes later her assistans called me and told me " She will let you know as soon as there will be any updates ". So basically I am afraid now to call again and put a pressure, if she don't want to answer or tell me anything, what the f.uck can I do?

Thanks for help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

So basically I am afraid now to call again and put a pressure, if she don't want to answer or tell me anything, what the f.uck can I do?

would you be afraid to ask a waiter where your food is, if you asked once but it still hadn't come? your the consumer. you will pay the solicitor's bill at the end of this process.

I mean this well, but act like a grownup and tell the assistant you want to speak directly to the solicitor. Tell the solicitor you are unhappy with the response times and lack of updates. Tell them directly and calmly. Address your concerns now, while the solicitor has time to improve the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Streco80

I agree with sending emails for the purpose of a paper-trail. But I would definitely be ringing the office too. Remember, they are employed by you to complete a service. They are not doing it for free and it's an expensive service at that. If there is a delay, they should be explaining that there is. A small update is all you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I had this on my first house purchase. I eventually just went to the office and sat there until she saw me and demanded action or I was going to come back and tell all others coming into the office how bad she was.

It worked and I never used her again.

Thanks all for support.

So I rang the office an hour ago. Secretary told me she is working remotely today. That I should send her an email. I told her theres no response for two weeks now. She told me send an email. So I sent an email 45 min ago, still no response, nothing. I am really pisse.d off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're the worst bottleneck in any property transaction I've been involved with. They're probably sitting on someone's money, so they've no inclination to move on anything. The only way out of this loop is to hassle them with phone calls. He who shouts loudest works in these cases, keep calling your solicitor, hassle them, be loud and demanding.

What do you mean by "sitting on someone's money"

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Call in to the solicitors office? If the contracts are there, simply sign it.

I did that and I was told she is working remotely today. Does solicitor need some time to check on contract before I can sign them or I can sign them imidiately?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭username2013

I would call the office back and tell them you are not happy with their performance and you have decided to use another solicitor. I guarantee they wont be long getting back to you after that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This.

The baby who cries the loudest, gets fed first.

best line I ever heard.

make noise, they'll help you quicker.

are they working remotely tomorrow and friday?

Lads I am gonna call again now and tell them to reach to her asap and that she needs to contact me asap as well.

STAY TUNED for this DRAMA.

I will update everyone here 😅

Where deposit moneys in the normal course of a conveyancing transaction are paid by a purchaser to a vendor’s solicitor, those funds are held by the vendor’s solicitor as a trustee for the purchaser pending the coming into being of a binding contract for sale. So the money is in the Solicitors bank. The longer the better.

Don't do this. They'll screw you, they're solicitors and will get their money no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Call the assistant and tell them you want to schedule an appointment with the solicitor. On zoom if she insists she's remote. The meeting agenda is to sign or hear why you shouldn't.

It's the assistant's job to email the solicitor - not yours. If the assistant hasn't sent you the date+time within an hour, call back. Keep doing it hourly, until they do schedule the appointment.

Be totally polite, but very firm. You are paying them, not the other way round!

Ok, just finished with the assistant. So basically she told me that our solicitor received contracts and now she is reviewing them, she told me it could take some time back and forth with other side, and that typically takes around 8 fu.cking weeks to finish everything.

I was polite, but firm and worried.

But it works if you are pushing as everyone told me here. Thaaaanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Potentially something going on personally with the solicitor that’s impacting their work- experienced similar years ago with a solicitors practice- that solicitor eventually left the firm under a cloud I believe - not an easy situation - solicitor is being a 24 carret dick/dickess in my view but try and keep assertive rather than aggressive until all done but I know it’s not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your politeness with the solicitor would need to improve. Reading some of the lingo here I wouldnt be too anxious about having discussions with you if I was your solicitor. You could do better.

• Advertisement

"I was polite, firm but worried"

They're solicitors, bottom feeders, they create nothing & feed off others. OP is paying them to do something they're not doing. I've shouted down the phone at them to get their arses in gear and it works, they want me gone so they clear me off their desk. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Agree, you need to kick ass big time with solicitors ! Show them you aren’t a pushover, it shouldn’t be this way but it is.

However with almost zero interest rates right now there’s no big advantage in solicitors sitting on clients money anymore, it’s worth peanuts in reality. You’re just not being prioritized .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They wouldn't be anxious if they did the work in a timely and professional manner.

UPDATE**

I made a post two weeks ago about our completely crazy solicitor. We are atm trying to buy a house.

Contracts received by our solicitor from vendor side. Our solicitor raised pre contract enquiries 11 days ago. Since then-silence, silence, silence.

We are calling her basically every two days and asking how things are progressing and she even refuses to talk to us. Her assistant won't give us a chance to talk to her.

They are just saying "as soon we have an update we will contact you" which is great but after 11 working days there should be some movement (EA told me that this is unusual and I should chase her).

We have problem with this solicitor from the day one. Slow or no response to emails, we never actually talk, we never hear her voice, when we call to the office she is always out or busy etc etc constant excuses but obviously she don't want to talk to us due to...God knows. Yes, maybe we needed to change her bit we feel now is way to late since contracts are on the table.

I wanted to ask everyone here, what would you do in this situation, knowing that pre contract enquiries have raised and she keeps being silent (she is not pushing vendor solicitor for answers etc)? Emails not answered, phone calls non productive, what else can we do? Our loan offer expires very soon, she is aware of that but still doesn't give a fu.ck.

Sorry for the rant, I hope you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I wouldn't call every 2 days, but every 2 weeks rather. And if there's no movement in 3 months, I'd change a solicitor. How long did it pass now and did the solicitor do anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Your solicitor raised queries. So are they not waiting on vendor to answer these queries?

Or was the contract issued after the queries?

If the ball is in your court I'd be ringing daily and definitely not 2 weeks per the poster above. I've seen houses close in 6 weeks from sale agreed. (Not often but it can be done)

If the contract is there for signing it should take your solicitor no more than a couple of days to review

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

We are sale agreed for 5 months now. We needed to wait for a few signatures from a developer. He needed to transfer some small piece of land to us.

Yesterday I got info about what's going on. So basically vendor solicitor is trying to make a REGISTRATION OF THE LAND TRANSFER from developer to us, with the LAND REGISTRATION OFFICE. EA told me this is not a big deal.

Anyone knows for how long this take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Land registry usually takes a few months.

You can still purchase with it going through, but it would depend on where this small piece of land is.

If it's just a bit of verge I'd push ahead. If it's you front drive, you may wait.

None of the above sounds like your solicitor's fault BTW.

This a new house? Is it actually finished? With power, water and sewer? Are the neighbours moved in? New houses can look done but power and water are a disaster the last 18 months.

Hi man, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate, since there is not much info. House doesn't have a driveway. It's semi detached, and in the front of the house, maybe 10 sq meters is still on developer side for some reason. Garden is ok,sides are ok, just that front, a small piece that is heading to communal car park. That piece is "problem". Developer signed that he agrees for transfer of that land to us. I explained now all. If there is anyone who can give me clearer answers let me know, my solicitor is idiot, nobody helps, not sure what to do.

Edit*

Second hand home.

"Deed of rectification needs to be lodged in order to proceed."

Post edited by astefulj on

• Advertisement
Advertisement